Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:03:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vending machine  (Read 2917 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 01:57:46 PM

http://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=3928B5BC746E4A2FBF53C550B52919DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDOcLros-w0

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 03:27:19 PM

Nice find.. Smiley

I like

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
DoubleIcaras

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 05:13:58 PM

This is amazing!

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 05:52:28 PM

so awesome haha  Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:21:08 PM

Really really cool!

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:45:12 PM

Let's hope, that in a few years from now, people will look at this and go: "Did they really have to do all that, just to pay with BITCOIN?" since by then, paying with bitcoins would be easier that paying with coins.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:05:46 PM

If anyone thinks they can make this system go faster, Then your either Not thinking it though, Or your smart as hell.

Im shocked at how fast they got it to go, What about people sending coins and then Not waiting for confirmations? Surely nobody wants an vending machine that has to sync to the blockchain, Wait 10mins for 1confirm just to get thier item, Im wondering how the HELL they managed to get it to go so fast, The only thing that i can think of is them skipping the Confirmation stages... But then that allows me to walk up, Dump 100coins in, Shut my phone internet off so that i dont resync and Bam, I have free credit in the machine untill i resync my phone with the blockchain.

Perhaps they do it with Prefunded accounts? Such as BitPay or e-wallet style services That way there Isnt a block chain, Just account to account....
I just see thse machines as "HACK ME NOW, PLEASE TRY TO HACK ME" subjects for people, Lol. Imagine these machines inside highschools, Sooooo many kids would be trying to mess with it

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:13:35 PM

Or... how long does it take to get a pack of popcorn out of a normal machine when you DON'T have a coin in your pocket? You have to get out of the building, go to the nearest convenience store, buy a pack of gum, get the change, walk back into the building, put the coin in the machine.

Look at all the steps you've saved just by pulling your cell phone out of your pocket and using Bitcoin!

:-)
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:01:25 PM

If anyone thinks they can make this system go faster, Then your either Not thinking it though, Or your smart as hell.

Im shocked at how fast they got it to go, What about people sending coins and then Not waiting for confirmations? Surely nobody wants an vending machine that has to sync to the blockchain, Wait 10mins for 1confirm just to get thier item, Im wondering how the HELL they managed to get it to go so fast, The only thing that i can think of is them skipping the Confirmation stages... But then that allows me to walk up, Dump 100coins in, Shut my phone internet off so that i dont resync and Bam, I have free credit in the machine untill i resync my phone with the blockchain.

Perhaps they do it with Prefunded accounts? Such as BitPay or e-wallet style services That way there Isnt a block chain, Just account to account....
I just see thse machines as "HACK ME NOW, PLEASE TRY TO HACK ME" subjects for people, Lol. Imagine these machines inside highschools, Sooooo many kids would be trying to mess with it

For the price of a coke ( or a few) they can take the risk. If they have 1000 machines that take bitcoin how many transactions will be not confirmed?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 08:10:13 PM

Its not that easy to double spend. It has nothing to do with the fact you will switch your phone off later.

To be able to buy something from machine, you will have to broadcast the spend to the Bitcoin network. The machine will check that. It would check against few nodes around the globe to get the transaction broadcasted.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

In related news you can steal cokes from a vending machine w/ counterfeit USD (or stolen credit cards) too.

Trying to time a double spend in meatspace where there may be video of you for something as trivial as a free coke seems about the stupidest criminal act one can make.

Also not sure how you get the idea that turning phone off would get you free product.   The machine doesn't trust your phone it trusts the blockchain.  Non-confirmed transactions CAN be double spent but not the way you describe and it is a non-trivial task to pull off.   For low value real world transactions the risk is very low probably lower than losses due to stolen credit cards in CC enabled machines.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:20:19 PM

For the price of a coke ( or a few) they can take the risk. If they have 1000 machines that take bitcoin how many transactions will be not confirmed?

Exactly, plus they can build a certain amount of insurance into the price of each Coke so that over the long haul, they're still making profits even when transactions don't confirm.

Mousepotato
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:25:27 PM

Well, considering the machine never has to store private keys, even high-schoolers shouldn't be able to do too much damage with it.

(Famous last words.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:35:43 PM

Well, considering the machine never has to store private keys, even high-schoolers shouldn't be able to do too much damage with it.

That actually is a good point.  Most vending machine vandalizism is criminals busting them open to get the cash not the cokes.  An empty vending machine can have $400 or more cash (less now as they started accepting CC).  Less risk than robbing a 7-11 and you likely will get more.

Bitcoin vending machine is less "interesting" to criminals (although likely will draw interest from hackers) because no cash.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:13:50 PM

Bitcoin vending machine is less "interesting" to criminals (although likely will draw interest from hackers) because no cash.

Might be giving guys who break into vending machines too much credit  Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tiker

Activity: 459

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 01:21:17 AM

Less cash but now there's a tablet computer to take.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:28:44 AM

Seriously? do you think it will be hanging out there once in the wild ?

Glass must be half empty a lot with you..  Roll Eyes

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:29:47 AM

Seriously? do you think it will be hanging out there once in the wild ?

Glass must be half empty a lot with you..  Roll Eyes
Not to mention many companys would prolly endup with a much cheaper bulilt in method, Such as a cheap LCD display, With a touch mesh atop of it

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 02:43:34 AM

Now the vending machine needs an IP address and internet connectivity, but cool none the less.

Now that they have a working prototype, they can work on getting the parts cost down.  I'm sure the finished product won't have a tablet on the front that you could rip off.

Breaking into this machine means the vandal can't get any cash which is a great feature.  It also means that the owner doesn't have to send anyone out to empty the coins/bills; they only have to go out to restock the machine.  Since the machines will be connected to the internet, they can notify their owner whenever they are low on a product, too.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 03:07:58 AM

Now the vending machine needs an IP address and internet connectivity, but cool none the less.

Now that they have a working prototype, they can work on getting the parts cost down.  I'm sure the finished product won't have a tablet on the front that you could rip off.

Breaking into this machine means the vandal can't get any cash which is a great feature.  It also means that the owner doesn't have to send anyone out to empty the coins/bills; they only have to go out to restock the machine.  Since the machines will be connected to the internet, they can notify their owner whenever they are low on a product, too.
I have used vending machines that take credit cards - having a network connection isn't a far stretch, it just is less common. I am sure that the interface could be dramatically simplified for all users to figure out easily.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: