Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:57:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin A. talk with the CIA  (Read 2210 times)
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:10:21 PM

I was just curious about after finding some refs on google, did anyone find out what Gavin talked about when invited by the CIA ?

https://twitter.com/gavinandresen/statuses/80785477342478336
http://media.bitcoincommons.org/?q=node/24

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 09:32:05 PM

I think they just thought it was an interesting topic. It could have use as a way to fund operational groups or individuals, but I doubt they have any specific plans. The CIA likes to stay on top of new thinking in all sorts of areas. Not really different than TED talks or Google's lecture series. One never knows where new, innovative ideas will end up. It's best to understand them before they surprise you.
It is likely that Gavin had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and cant comment much. I've had to sign them for work I have done for the Army. Even my wife had to, just in case she overhears something. The new paradigm is; "I could tell you, but then I would have to sue you".

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Yeah, guess they do like to always stay on top of new things that come out.
The non-disclosure agreement would be a bit odd though, didn't hear Gavin comment anything on that  Undecided

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:52:30 PM

This?: http://www.iqt.org/

IQT is focused on new and emerging commercial technologies that have the potential to give the CIA and broader U.S. Intelligence Community (IC) mission-advantage today and in the future.  As a strategic partner for the IC we understand complex customer requirements, and we constantly survey the leading edge of the commercial marketplace in order to identify, adapt, and deliver technology solutions to our customers.
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 10:12:29 PM

This?: http://www.iqt.org/

IQT is focused on new and emerging commercial technologies that have the potential to give the CIA and broader U.S. Intelligence Community (IC) mission-advantage today and in the future.  As a strategic partner for the IC we understand complex customer requirements, and we constantly survey the leading edge of the commercial marketplace in order to identify, adapt, and deliver technology solutions to our customers.

hmm... should i worry or put my tinfoil hat

PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:35:22 PM

The CIA infiltrates and destabilizes or manipulates any organizations or governments that poses a threat to the US government. I think bitcoin would be a threat to the dollar, and it is just a question of how much they measure that threat to determine if zero to N agents need to be assigned to it.

It also needs to manage black budget accounts (presumably to fund missions in the above paragraph) that need to be sent around the world and be hidden. If it looks like this is becoming a currency (especially in the underground) then they might also want to think about getting some. This will also require some agents to be assigned to the BIAMG (Bitcoin Infiltration and Management Group) - or just BAM as they refer to it in the office.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 03:09:17 PM

The CIA infiltrates and destabilizes or manipulates any organizations or governments that poses a threat to the US government. I think bitcoin would be a threat to the dollar, and it is just a question of how much they measure that threat to determine if zero to N agents need to be assigned to it.

It also needs to manage black budget accounts (presumably to fund missions in the above paragraph) that need to be sent around the world and be hidden. If it looks like this is becoming a currency (especially in the underground) then they might also want to think about getting some. This will also require some agents to be assigned to the BIAMG (Bitcoin Infiltration and Management Group) - or just BAM as they refer to it in the office.

robkohr is exactly correct. Once the CIA gets the go ahead, the covert operation in code named WAM BAM. Afterwards, the CIA agents leave the country carrying a banner that reads WAM BAM Thank You MAM.
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 03:53:03 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2012, 07:24:09 PM by paraipan

robkohr is exactly correct. Once the CIA gets the go ahead, the covert operation in code named WAM BAM. Afterwards, the CIA agents leave the country carrying a banner that reads WAM BAM Thank You MAM.

lol, you're always right Phinnaeus so if we spot them around we will know what they're up to  Smiley

Right now we are pretty secure with the code Satoshi left us but i'm concerned about the most evident vulnerability, leaving aside the 51% attack, our bitcoin dev. team. Would there be a chance to pressure more than 51% of the core developers introduce a "backdoor" for the CIA into the code with a new feature, bug fix or you name it ?

altuin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:12:23 PM

I doubt that the CIA has the legal authority to do such a thing. Even if they do, Satoshi is in japan, isn't he?
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 07:28:07 PM

I doubt that the CIA has the legal authority to do such a thing. Even if they do, Satoshi is in japan, isn't he?

You're the first person in a long time that i see put cia and legal in the same phrase so i may safely assume that you work in the PR department for them  Smiley

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:23:20 PM

They are interested in bitcoin to help them with their drug trafficking operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_drug_trafficking
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:22:01 PM

There's already a giant thread where Gavin talked about this, what he did in the meeting, what they asked him about ect.

paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 11:39:09 PM

There's already a giant thread where Gavin talked about this, what he did in the meeting, what they asked him about ect.

you mean this one https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6652.0 ?  din't find anything useful there

zer0

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 01:31:27 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6652.msg251755#msg251755
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 01:35:21 AM

thanks, i appreciate you pointing that out

zer0

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 01:36:39 AM

At least there were other payment networks there so it wasn't just a summoning to come explain Bitcoin in front of a bunch of spooks. CIA is probably more interested in laundering money to their agents then they are shutting it down. Now if he had to go explain it to the secret service that would be a different matter. I wouldn't show up to that (Hi here's your handcuffs come with us)
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 01:55:09 AM

At least there were other payment networks there so it wasn't just a summoning to come explain Bitcoin in front of a bunch of spooks. CIA is probably more interested in laundering money to their agents then they are shutting it down. Now if he had to go explain it to the secret service that would be a different matter. I wouldn't show up to that (Hi here's your handcuffs come with us)

lol, you got point, i was reading the info already

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 02:06:06 AM

This is the post I was going to reference because of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58590.msg691011#msg691011

(pay no attention to post #29 in that thread)  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: