Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:06:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the CIA  (Read 152926 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 08:49:13 PM

I'm busy watching the Red Sox whoop the Brewers.

I'm planning on posting my talk's slides tomorrow. I gave a general report on the visit on Bruce's Bitcoin Show.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:51:23 PM

What if CIA simply threatened that Gavin MUST only say positive, if not .................... you fill yourself.

Its known to everyone that US will do anything to bring down anyone or anything if US don't like it.
Yeti

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Firstbits: 1yetiax

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:22:27 PM

I'm busy watching the Red Sox whoop the Brewers.
It seems he has already been replaced by a stereotypical-American-Dad-type-agent!

I kid, I kid.

1YetiaXeuRzX9QJoQNUW84oX2EiXnHgp3 or http://payb.tc/yeti

Since Bitcoin Randomizer is dead, join the Bitcoin Pyramid (referrer id #203)! Be quick, be on top! Instant payout as soon as one of your referrals deposits!
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:48:43 PM

you can call it funny/crazy, but some observers claim that non-linear analysis show high relation between domestic/overseas CIA activity, BitCoin introduction/operaton and Lulz "hacking".
just in case if you like weirdo "conspiracy theouries".
hit google to find one of those conspirologists maniacs havens/web-sites.
carp

Activity: 82

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:27:59 PM

Who is the creator? Gavin, you should know? Does anyone who agree that Satoshi is from Russia? I don't think Satoshi is from Japan.

I doubt it.  His writing syntax doesn't seem to be Russian to me, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps I'll go through the forum to find all Satoshi's writings and do a comprehensive analysis on them to attempt to identify the most-likely native country of his.

Well if you are going to go that far.... why not just assume he still posts here under another name, pull all the word pairs out of his posts, and compare them against everyone else? Then do it against users of other, related, forums...

I have considered doing it for fun but, overall, feel its better to respect Satoshi's privacy. What will it really do for us to know who he really is? Real names and real faces map to real people with flaws. Why not let the community have its hero.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 06:48:41 PM

I just uploaded pdf and KeyNote versions of the talk I gave at the CIA last Tuesday:
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresenCIATalk.pdf
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresen_Bitcoin.key

I took questions in the middle, before I dove into the technical details. I was asked about whether or not I thought price instability would be a problem ("yes, I'll talk about that later") and how/why I got involved.

Later, at the panel discussion, I was asked a question that showed I need to do a better job of distinguishing bitcoin addresses and IP addresses. And I was asked if there were moral issues, since bitcoin can be used by criminals ("I'm working on bitcoin because I think the potential benefits to the world are much, much greater than the costs.")

The other speakers were from PayPal, Facebook Payments, M-Pesa, Heartland Payment Systems, and the Federal Reserve, so it was worth going just for the connections. Bitcoin is definitely the new kid on the block, and I presented it as such; not "bitcoin will take over the world" but "bitcoin is a very interesting experiment that could be world-changing if it works out."

And now... there is plenty of work to be done, so I'm going to stop reminiscing about the good old days last week....

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:56:44 PM

Excellent.

I don't suppose they are planning to publish recordings of the talks or panel, are they?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:59:37 PM

you can call it funny/crazy, but some observers claim that non-linear analysis show high relation between domestic/overseas CIA activity, BitCoin introduction/operaton and Lulz "hacking".
bitcoins correlate with "grape varieties". that just hits the bull's eye!

http://correlate.googlelabs.com/search?e=bitcoins&t=all

p
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:03:54 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 01:07:01 PM by hazek

Ty for the report I didn't doubt you would let us know eventually. But after 4 days I thought you needed a reminder to take 5min and write it up Tongue

I am however a bit surprised that they asked a total of just four questions and that you don't appear to have gotten any impression on whether or not they had a favorable reaction to it?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
£

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:30:31 PM

bitcoins correlate with "grape varieties". that just hits the bull's eye!

http://correlate.googlelabs.com/search?e=bitcoins&t=all

p

I knew it, I just knew it was the grapes.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:40:17 PM

was this recorded?  Grin
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:32:54 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 09:25:52 AM by noone

I just uploaded pdf and KeyNote versions of the talk I gave at the CIA last Tuesday:
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresenCIATalk.pdf
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresen_Bitcoin.key

I took questions in the middle, before I dove into the technical details. I was asked about whether or not I thought price instability would be a problem ("yes, I'll talk about that later") and how/why I got involved.

Later, at the panel discussion, I was asked a question that showed I need to do a better job of distinguishing bitcoin addresses and IP addresses. And I was asked if there were moral issues, since bitcoin can be used by criminals ("I'm working on bitcoin because I think the potential benefits to the world are much, much greater than the costs.")

The other speakers were from PayPal, Facebook Payments, M-Pesa, Heartland Payment Systems, and the Federal Reserve, so it was worth going just for the connections. Bitcoin is definitely the new kid on the block, and I presented it as such; not "bitcoin will take over the world" but "bitcoin is a very interesting experiment that could be world-changing if it works out."

And now... there is plenty of work to be done, so I'm going to stop reminiscing about the good old days last week....

Gavin, thnx for posting this material.

What are the limitations on people using it for other presentations?

Coma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:17:23 PM

If someone talked about Bitcoin at TED, the lovefest would be unbearable.
Didn't finished it yet, but very nice presentation, Gavin.
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:22:13 PM

I am more worried about the SEC and the IRS.
CIA's main mission is foreign intelligence... as long as it is not used as a means to finance terrorists, we will be okay.
Nescio

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:50:56 PM

CIA's main mission is foreign intelligence... as long as it is not used as a means to finance terrorists, we will be okay.

LOL, "Eh Ahmed, we got those Bitcoins in. We can now blow up the embassy!" checks exchange "Wait, we can now shoot five bullets at the embassy!" checks exchange again "Wait! We can fly a plane into the embassy!" checks exchange "Hold on, I'm not sure we can afford a plane, but maybe a car.. 2 bullets.. pickup truck! Pair of sandals.. By the prophet's beard Ahmed, let's just go over and surrender" Grin
TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 12:59:28 PM

LOL, "Eh Ahmed, we got those Bitcoins in. We can now blow up the embassy!" checks exchange "Wait, we can now shoot five bullets at the embassy!" checks exchange again "Wait! We can fly a plane into the embassy!" checks exchange "Hold on, I'm not sure we can afford a plane, but maybe a car.. 2 bullets.. pickup truck! Pair of sandals.. By the prophet's beard Ahmed, let's just go over and surrender" Grin

hahahaha:-)

Considering how close bitcoin looks like "Islamic banking", maybe they were worried.

Lucky for us, we have extreme infidel asshattery in the form of mtgox and #bitcoin-otc.

More information on Islamic banking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
Coma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:16:26 PM

Dallas is outside the US? Or JFK was not part of the main mission?
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:33:03 PM

Dallas is outside the US? Or JFK was not part of the main mission?

Most researchers across the world have come to the same conclusion, Oswald was mentally deranged for a long time and acting alone.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
lonestranger

Activity: 115

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:41:11 PM

The CIA's mission is to defend the interests of the Fortune 100. This includes drug running, blowing up people, toppling countries with resources they covet. They do their dirty business in the U.S. all the time. I still find it hard to believe there are adults walking around who can't figure this stuff out. Do you really think 9-11 was pulled off by bearded men from caves?
lonestranger

Activity: 115

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:46:07 PM

Most researchers across the world have come to the same conclusion, Oswald was mentally deranged for a long time and acting alone.

This is a joke, right?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: