Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:53:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 535 »
  Print  
Author Topic: | Nxt | Blockchain Platform | Proof of Stake | Official  (Read 940986 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 02:31:35 PM

Buy your coins on http://www.dgex.com. I always do, ugly site, but works great.

Install this client and create an account on the Mainnet: http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/.

Transfer your NXT to that account. Ready!  Smiley

Looks great from an installation/usability perspective. What's the deal if I'm using a laptop that's only on ~6 hours a day? Are there drawbacks?
Just thinking of Joe Public using NXT and what's going to have maximum appeal.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:37:47 PM

Install this client and create an account on the Mainnet: http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/.

Looks great from an installation/usability perspective. What's the deal if I'm using a laptop that's only on ~6 hours a day? Are there drawbacks?

You can lease your forging power of your account to another account that will forge 24/7 for you. Forging pools are being set up as we speak. So you won't have to turn your computer on at all and still get NXT for forging.

You will still be able to spend and move the cash in the account and the lease automatically updates the amount you have on lease.

Leased forging is a feature unique to Nxt, another first Grin

(Edit: I might have jumped to conclusions here, were you referring to not being able to forge 24/7?  Grin )
Cassius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 02:43:09 PM

You can lease your forging power of your account to another account that will forge 24/7 for you. Forging pools are being set up as we speak. So you won't have to turn your computer on at all and still get NXT for forging.

You will still be able to spend and move the cash in the account and the lease automatically updates the amount you have on lease.

(Edit: I might have jumped to conclusions here, were you referring to not being able to forge 24/7?  Grin )

It's partly about forging. Though I understand the forging formula takes into account the last time you were awarded a block, so I'm not sure whether you 'catch up' to some extent after being away for a while. And leasing is a great idea too Smiley
It's also about updating the blockchain (which I think will happen pretty fast, compared to bitcoin). And any other factors that might be relevant... I know CPU mining bitcoins was a bad idea on a laptop and that shouldn't be an issue with NXT. Must be a few more things that will swing someone's decision to download a client or go for a web service.
SomethingElse

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:50:19 PM

Any chance for multi-sig by summer? If this comes, I think it is the game changer.

This was posted by James on the 22nd April, among other comments:

The code is 90% done, source review 50% done. I think we should go to mainnet with some low risk coins first, like DOGE. then assuming no major issues, we can add LTC, BTC, then dozens more.

Source: https://nxtforum.org/nxt-promotion/promotion-of-ae/msg10906/#new

He may pop over to give us another update  Grin

Thanks for the update.  If James makes this and it works.  Next should have a big party and everybody carry him on their shoulders. hahaha

NEM
Ludom

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:58:01 PM

And the price go up !!! mouahahah  Cheesy

And I can buy my pony !
Daedelus

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:14:56 PM

It's partly about forging. Though I understand the forging formula takes into account the last time you were awarded a block, so I'm not sure whether you 'catch up' to some extent after being away for a while. And leasing is a great idea too Smiley
It's also about updating the blockchain (which I think will happen pretty fast, compared to bitcoin). And any other factors that might be relevant... I know CPU mining bitcoins was a bad idea on a laptop and that shouldn't be an issue with NXT. Must be a few more things that will swing someone's decision to download a client or go for a web service.

I believe the current implementation takes into account the time since the last block, not the time since you last forged (awarded a block).

Chance = Target * TimeSinceLastBlock * Stake

It is like a prize draw, you just have to be in the room listening to the results (forging) with your tickets (stake) to stand a chance of winning (being awarded a block). How long you have been away from forging doesn't have a bearing on it. Someone correct me if I am wrong!  Grin

Choice of Client will ultimately come down to the features available, I know Offspring has encrypted messages implemented if that floats your boat that isn't currently implemented in the latest NRS 1.0.0  Smiley

And you don't need to choose between download or web service for your Client if you don't want to. As Nxt 'wallets' are stored in a brainwallet (think 'the cloud' as an approximation), you can use the downloaded client at home and the web service out and about. All you need is your passphrase. Though obviously some features might not be available if not implemented in the specific Client.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:17:44 PM

That's a good question.  Updating blockchain is very fast, even if you are installing a brand new client, entire chain takes about 5 minutes for me.  If you are only on every couple days, it's going to take less time to update the chain.  I would always suggest downloading a client and using locally over a web service.  Here is a link to the desktop client.  

https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/downloads/nxt-client-1.0.0.zip

sha256: b7f2ce2cdb1a995a5ea31b73a9fcb4004c209f346bf5872b891c32406df18494

Assuming you are using windows, unzip file, click on run.bat, wait a minute for CMD to show that it's running (scanning blockchain) and then it will say it's started successfully.  At that point go back to folder and click on NXT_Wallet to open the client via a browser.
Cassius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 03:24:02 PM

Thanks msin and Daedalus. I misunderstood about forging - that approach is far more sensible. Straight up lottery between the people who are in the room right now, with their chances determined by the number of coins they hold.
Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the two client options offered so far?
Daedelus

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:47:46 PM

Thanks msin and Daedalus. I misunderstood about forging - that approach is far more sensible. Straight up lottery between the people who are in the room right now, with their chances determined by the number of coins they hold.

No problem. As I said, the lottery is the current implementation with Transparent Forging (TF) only 50% implemented. With  full TF, you will be able to predict with high probability who will forge the next block and send your transaction to them to get it included in the blockchain very quickly.

Full TF doesn't use the 'lottery' equation above. It doesn't need to as you know who the next 10 or so forgers will be. It uses an advanced method of gaining concensus, the details haven't been published. This is the most innovative bit of Nxt. And I am still finding all the scraps of details spread around in the devs posts that are published and piecing it together myself  Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy
Cassius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 03:56:07 PM

No problem. As I said, the lottery is the current implementation with Transparent Forging (TF) only 50% implemented. With  full TF, you will be able to predict with high probability who will forge the next block and send your transaction to them to get it included in the blockchain very quickly.

Full TF doesn't use the 'lottery' equation above. It doesn't need to as you know who the next 10 or so forgers will be. It uses an advanced method of gaining concensus, the details haven't been published. This is the most innovative bit of Nxt. And I am still finding all the scraps of details spread around in the devs posts that are published and piecing it together myself  Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy

This seems like a really innovative feature if it works properly. I guess it's still random overall (the lottery principle still holds, so it's still worth being part of the forging network), it's just that the next 10 minutes aren't random. Like you know you've won the lottery, you just haven't been given the outsize cheque by the C-list celebrity yet.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:57:15 PM

That's awesome news guys. We've all been waiting this day for a long time.

Will it be possible to sell aliases on AE?

-

P.S. I think it's better to write
"Client developers
wesleyh, incentivetoken, marcus03, fmiboy, Mistafreeze, minusbalancer"
I stuck for a while thinking why are these people are Nxt clients before I read again and saw minusbalancer among them.

msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:42:22 PM

This seems like a really innovative feature if it works properly. I guess it's still random overall (the lottery principle still holds, so it's still worth being part of the forging network), it's just that the next 10 minutes aren't random. Like you know you've won the lottery, you just haven't been given the outsize cheque by the C-list celebrity yet.

Hahaha.
PL_CoinTrader

Activity: 226

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:03:16 PM

Oh my god, the first bicycle rental service ON TOP OF NXT has been launched!
See yourself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4a2JwVNsjJeG9QMmk2YXY1ak9BT0Q4Vks0TVo4a0RvdXpR/edit?usp=sharing

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Voluntold

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:32:57 PM

Whoever is in charge of Nxt.org should change the link at the bottom that says "Nxt thread on Bitcointalk.org" to this thread, instead of the old locked monster thread.

Nxt:  NXT-5BHG-9VRE-QGW6-DRZVQ
Grumand

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:42:44 PM

Why such a low price NXT?
farl4web
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:43:17 PM

Whoever is in charge of Nxt.org should change the link at the bottom that says "Nxt thread on Bitcointalk.org" to this thread, instead of the old locked monster thread.
There will be a complete new website on Nxt.org one of these days, so I think they will fix it.  Smiley
Labteck

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:48:00 PM

11 days left for Asset Exchange!!

Grin

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████  █████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████  ██████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████  ███████████████████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
       VIORCOIN[by_conty] ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████  █████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████  ██████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████  ███████████████████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
        Make International Calls
      Cheap and More Secure
Ludom

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:48:32 PM

Why such a low price NXT?

A complete Explanation : https://nxtforum.org/trading-exchanges/nxt-market-report/
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 06:04:24 PM

SO happy to see a new thread on Bitcointalk -- especially one with such a gorgeous OP!

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
wesleyh

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:53:09 PM

Please test this windows installer of my nxt wallet:

download url : http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/nxtwallet-win-setup.exe
sha256 is: 991c478202b91d82b1f98c5c527fcadc234f9aeb96dd6e8bbbd0b9dd8e23eb99

There's some things still to do such as remove the flash notice etc.. Please try it and let me know if it works correctly before I add it to my site.

PS: do not quote the download URL.

mac version tomorrow.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 535 »
  Print  

Jump to: