Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:28:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 535 »
  Print  
Author Topic: | Nxt | Blockchain Platform | Proof of Stake | Official  (Read 940984 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 09:08:56 PM

Just a reminder:

Point your mining gear right here:

http://nxtpool.net/

Thank you for helping us dump other coins. Wink

this is one thing I don't quite get about NXT.  If it's pure PoS, why do we need mining?

-bm

It has nothing to do with Nxt core. It's third party service that mines ALT coins and dumps them on exchanges for nxt

AH!  ok cool, then there wasn't a misunderstanding here.  Smiley

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 09:10:04 PM

EvilDave and salsacz :   thx!  Im currently scanning the forums.  Is there a place the devs go?  I was on IRC and it was pretty inactive.

-bm

Welcome on board!  Smiley
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 09:54:21 PM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.  If you want adoption, you need to get coin out reasonably easily, a fair amount (not some piddly 2-4 NXT), and quickly. 

Look at the amount Ripple gave away early on, you taper after you get some sort of base, not before.

Right now you have the faucet, which gives out a laughable 2-4 NXT (allowing you to do TWO transactions), another faucet that pays out a FRACTION of ONE NXT the vast majority of the time and the exchanges.  Exchanges, I might add, that are based in countries like Panama and have ridiculous withdrawal policies like:

Bitcoin deposits are credited immediately, and released for trading after 1 confirmation. NXT Deposits are credited on customer accounts every few business hours, after approx. 8 to 12 hours outside business hours GMT. Bitcoin withdrawals are instant (2.8% fee) or 3-24 hours (1.4% fee). NXT withdrawals take between 6 to 24 hours as a general guideline, sometimes up to 48 hours.

48 hours?  C'mon. 

I realize the developers are not involved in all of these faucets/exchanges but clearly you need to have a more efficient way of getting NXT to a new user (lets call it a starter pack).  NXT at this point is next to worthless, with an exchange rate of .00005BTC or something similar, stop holding onto the stuff like it's gold.  You're only hurting yourselves in the end.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 09:59:25 PM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.  If you want adoption, you need to get coin out reasonably easily, a fair amount (not some piddly 2-4 NXT), and quickly. 

Look at the amount Ripple gave away early on, you taper after you get some sort of base, not before.

Right now you have the faucet, which gives out a laughable 2-4 NXT (allowing you to do TWO transactions), another faucet that pays out a FRACTION of ONE NXT the vast majority of the time and the exchanges.  Exchanges, I might add, that are based in countries like Panama and have ridiculous withdrawal policies like:

Bitcoin deposits are credited immediately, and released for trading after 1 confirmation. NXT Deposits are credited on customer accounts every few business hours, after approx. 8 to 12 hours outside business hours GMT. Bitcoin withdrawals are instant (2.8% fee) or 3-24 hours (1.4% fee). NXT withdrawals take between 6 to 24 hours as a general guideline, sometimes up to 48 hours.

48 hours?  C'mon. 

I realize the developers are not involved in all of these faucets/exchanges but clearly you need to have a more efficient way of getting NXT to a new user (lets call it a starter pack).  NXT at this point is next to worthless, with an exchange rate of .00005BTC or something similar, stop holding onto the stuff like it's gold.  You're only hurting yourselves in the end.

if you think it's valuable, then you should buy some.  -bm

CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:06:01 PM

48 hours?  C'mon. 

if you think it's valuable, then you should buy some.  -bm

The point is, like most new users, I don't know if it has value as I can't test the system.  You need to allow users to properly test the system (and no 2 NXT doesn't count) in order for them to make up their minds on whether it's a worthwhile investment. 

Buy some?  Dgex has that stupid withdrawl policy I quoted.  Cryptsy has a thread in this very forum about pissed off customers not getting their NXT amongst other alt-coins and Bter when I go to their "about us" page is all in Chinese. 

I'm not going to trust some sketchy exchange just to test out something. 

Conurtrol

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:06:30 PM

I've done withdrawals at BTER and DGEX and gotten my Nxt a lot faster than I've ever gotten bitcoin.
Conurtrol

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:09:43 PM

And please don't hold ripple up as some kind of good example. They made 100 Billion of them and the foundation still controls like 90% of them. Nxt distribution gets better every day.
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:13:31 PM

And please don't hold ripple up as some kind of good example. They made 100 Billion of them and the foundation still controls like 90% of them. Nxt distribution gets better every day.

Ripple I feel is a failed experiment but I still think they gave away enough to at least let early users test the system.  If you can point me to where Nxt distribution is "getting better" every day, I'd be glad to see it. 

Conurtrol

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:19:43 PM

From the Nxt wiki:  http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/FAQ#The_original_stakeholders_are_hoarding_their_coins

Doesn't this centralize the Nxt since most coins are in the hands of about 75 individuals?

Most of the original stakeholders have been distributing coins to others as donations, bounties for development and promotion, exchanges, etc. See the next section for more detail. By contrast, Bitcoin is five years old, and half of the total supply of Bitcoin is held by a little over 900 people (source ).
The original stakeholders are hoarding their coins

The genesis block contains 73 transactions, distributing all 1 billion Nxt among the original stakeholders for the platform. Analysis of the weekly balances in those accounts, performed by wesleyh, shows that the balances have all dropped significantly:

Nov 24, 2013: 1,000,000,000
    Dec 1, 2013: 622,209,864
    Dec 8, 2013: 406,016,313
    Dec 15, 2013: 305,742,843
    Dec 22, 2013: 265,220,001
    Dec 29, 2013: 248,241,416
    Jan 5, 2014: 148,913,050
    Jan 6, 2014: 139,681,005

It is possible that coins are simply moving between accounts and are still being "held" by the original stakeholders. However, many of the stakeholders have been actively promoting the development of Nxt by providing donations and bounties to programers, debuggers, translators, and more. Details of some of these bounties and projects can be found in this Google spreadsheet and in the original stakeholders bounty discussion thread on nextcoin.org.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:20:23 PM

http://nxtcoin.blogspot.ch/2014/01/nxt-distribution-infographics.html

is a good, though slightly outdated, explanation.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Damelon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:20:50 PM

Ripple I feel is a failed experiment but I still think they gave away enough to at least let early users test the system.  If you can point me to where Nxt distribution is "getting better" every day, I'd be glad to see it. 

I hope you don't think stakeholders = Nxt.

It is a common mistake. I will not deny this is a problem, although less of one than it used to be.

However, there is NO way to force people to sell, other than asking and pushing.

For me personally, that is something I have no control over, so I don't spend my energy on it anymore. They either sell, or don't. There are also a few bigger stakeholders who DO sell and spend Nxt on project and donate, and these are the good guys. I'd rather focus on those.

As to the faucet: good news! A small group is working on this. I completely agree that the original faucet gives out non-helpful amounts (for exactly the same reason you gave: 2 possible transactions of 1 Nxt). So we're working on a system that will give out a non-trivial amount, to allow people to use or sell it. Whatever they want.

I hope that helps somewhat Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:28:49 PM

I hope you don't think stakeholders = Nxt.

It is a common mistake. I will not deny this is a problem, although less of one than it used to be.

However, there is NO way to force people to sell, other than asking and pushing.

For me personally, that is something I have no control over, so I don't spend my energy on it anymore. They either sell, or don't. There are also a few bigger stakeholders who DO sell and spend Nxt on project and donate, and these are the good guys. I'd rather focus on those.

As to the faucet: good news! A small group is working on this. I completely agree that the original faucet gives out non-helpful amounts (for exactly the same reason you gave: 2 possible transactions of 1 Nxt). So we're working on a system that will give out a non-trivial amount, to allow people to use or sell it. Whatever they want.

I hope that helps somewhat Smiley

No, I see the differentiation between stakeholders and Nxt and you're quite correct in that it's their prerogative whether to give away or not.  I just think it's in their best interest (and Nxt) that they do so.  When you're in high competition, as all alt-coins are, the more users you can gain the better.  You're not going to gain very many users by tightly clutching your Nxt.

I'm glad you see the shortcomings of the faucet and are working on a solution.  This is a good step in the right direction. 

farl4web
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:06:13 PM

took a close look at NXT yesterday.  Looks pretty good.  I'd like to get involved if possible.

-bm

promo/dev/business?

for promo: https://nxtforum.org/nxt-promotion/how-can-you-help-to-nxt-promotion/ Smiley

hey guys,

I really like what you did with NXT.  The basic technology was sorely in need of rewriting and you will find what you did there is going to be a huge asset.  Your javascript GUI architecture is a VERY GOOD IDEA.

Im an experienced Java dev and I've got specific ideas that I want to build, but probably I can just help out for a while and get to know the project.  We can do something better than Ethereum(in simplicity terms) and really bring in the next phase of p2p cryptofinance.  It's possible with NXT, I already looked it over.  I'll try to present my ideas on the NXT forum, but maybe I just might start trying to help existing efforts.

thanks, -bm

Would be great to see you working for Nxt!!  Smiley
sparta_cuss

Activity: 386

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Hello, CurbsideProphet

I understand your hesitation and appreciate your criticisms, though I don't quite agree with all of them.

I want you to take a test drive. Have you set up one of the clients? When you do, create an account and post your Nxt address, and I'll send you 500 NXT to play with. 

I'm not an original stakeholder, but I have a few to share.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:36:50 PM

Hello, CurbsideProphet

I understand your hesitation and appreciate your criticisms, though I don't quite agree with all of them.

I want you to take a test drive. Have you set up one of the clients? When you do, create an account and post your Nxt address, and I'll send you 500 NXT to play with. 

Much appreciated.  I have an account, the number is:  17353422140744959965

Once I'm able to get a feel for the software and the forging process, I'll return them to you.

bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 11:38:09 PM

Hello, CurbsideProphet

Much appreciated.  I have an account, the number is:  17353422140744959965

Once I'm able to get a feel for the software and the forging process, I'll return them to you.

if you're giving some out:  11274042109288826540

thanks,  -bm

sparta_cuss

Activity: 386

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:10:25 AM

Hello, CurbsideProphet

Much appreciated.  I have an account, the number is:  17353422140744959965

if you're giving some out:  11274042109288826540

thanks,  -bm

Ok, I just sent you each 502.

CurbsideProphet, be sure to send one NXT out of your account in order to generate a public key and make it more secure.

I don't have a huge investment here, so these contributions are meaningful amounts for me. Don't worry about paying me back. Just say good things about me (even if you have to make stuff up), and help Nxt succeed, and that's payment enough.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 12:25:09 AM

Dido for me, if you have more to share my address is 6059522116849959387

Peace.

Btw on one of the nxt pages it says to contact people on the giveaway pages or something like that, but there is no link.  Is there somewhere we can more officially display our addresses to the founders to get some Nxt.

My plan is to give some out to all the bitcoiners at the next meet up here in Seoul.

acdc

Activity: 939
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:28:27 AM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.  If you want adoption, you need to get coin out reasonably easily, a fair amount (not some piddly 2-4 NXT), and quickly.  

NXT are so cheap it's not funny. One of the main contenders to bitcoin - market cap of 5.5 billion - has a market cap of 22 MILLION).

Do the math. If NXT got to a market cap of 5 billion, each NXT would be worth $5 USD, and they cost about 2 cents today.

I'm a new comer to crypto, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not waiting for a freebie give away to get 500 NXT.

I'm spending $1000 USD and buying 50K NXT. If NXT is as good as what I've been reading lately that $1000 investment might be worth 250k USD (assuming NXT marketcap similar to bitcoin) sometime soon. That's a good bet in my mind.

I don't want to miss this one, and I'm not expecting a handout any time soon, but I can buy NXT for 2 cents on bter or dgex right now.

The 75 initial stakeholders might be stingy but that doesn't stop NXT being a good bet right now.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 12:36:37 AM

When I create an alias or edit an alias, send a message etc. what is the "deadline" field for? 

I see that the default is 24 hours, does it mean that if the action is not included in a block in the next 24 hours to cancel it?

Thanks in advance.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 535 »
  Print  

Jump to: