Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:01:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 535 »
  Print  
Author Topic: | Nxt | Blockchain Platform | Proof of Stake | Official  (Read 940984 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 AM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.

What's your problem with 73 initial stakeholders? They didn't dump at 10 satoshi, they didn't dump at 100 satoshi, at 1000 satoshi, at 5000 satoshi. They didn't even dump at 16 000 satoshi. They proved themselfs to be super reasonable holders. Some of them sold all their stakes through the trading thread to keep the price high. So if you're afraid that initial stakeholders might dump all coins and ruin price then don't, because they won't. Bitcoin and regular money like Dollar have way worse distribution, so if you don't like it, maybe you don't want to live on this planet anymore? If you're just greedy envious person and can't live with understanding that some people made good profit, it's your personal mental problem that has nothing to do with Nxt. Early Bictoin adopters become millioners last year. Can you live with that? Maybe you should just forget about cryptocurrencies if it hurts you so much.

You miss my point entirely but if you haven't gotten it by now I'm not going to waste the effort to try to explain it to you.  Can I live with "Bictoin" adopters becoming "millioners" last year?  Look at how long I've been around.  Yeah, I think I can live with that pal.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:43:35 AM

When I create an alias or edit an alias, send a message etc. what is the "deadline" field for? 

I see that the default is 24 hours, does it mean that if the action is not included in a block in the next 24 hours to cancel it?

Thanks in advance.

I am not that sure about this one, I have read about it but I forgot it. All that I remember that you should leave it on 24h by default. It has something to do with double spending transactions as I recall and you are the safest if you leave it on 24h. This doesn't mean that your transaction has time to be processed just until 24th hour, your transaction will be processed with the next block in any case scenario, whatever you put there.

If you want precise answer you should head out to our official forum https://nxtforum.org/index.php where all of our technical gang hangs out much more and they will explain it precisely.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:50:51 AM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.  If you want adoption, you need to get coin out reasonably easily, a fair amount (not some piddly 2-4 NXT), and quickly.  

NXT are so cheap it's not funny. One of the main contenders to bitcoin - market cap of 5.5 billion - has a market cap of 22 MILLION).

Do the math. If NXT got to a market cap of 5 billion, each NXT would be worth $5 USD, and they cost about 2 cents today.

I'm a new comer to crypto, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not waiting for a freebie give away to get 500 NXT.

I'm spending $1000 USD and buying 50K NXT. If NXT is as good as what I've been reading lately that $1000 investment might be worth 250k USD (assuming NXT marketcap similar to bitcoin) sometime soon. That's a good bet in my mind.

I don't want to miss this one, and I'm not expecting a handout any time soon, but I can buy NXT for 2 cents on bter or dgex right now.

The 75 initial stakeholders might be stingy but that doesn't stop NXT being a good bet right now.

This is the basic thought process of every newbie that comes in here.  I missed the train so I'm going to jump on <inset alt-currency here> and get rich.  The problem is that all of these alt-currencies are significantly behind Bitcoin in terms of adoption, infrastructure, development, just about everything.  That's not to say someone can't build a better mousetrap or that Nxt can't compliment or replace Bitcoin, but your valuation has no basis in reality.  The reality is all of these alts face significant headwinds because they are far behind in the game.

My point was that when you're playing catchup, sitting on your hands holding your coin isn't really the smartest move, IMO.  You get it out there quickly and to as many people as you can.  Like I said, it's their money and their prerogative.  And it's your money so feel free to spend as you wish.  Me personally I don't really feel like giving my personal information to some company in Panama that I've never heard of.  To each their own.

I just want to test the system and do my own due diligence, and now thanks to sparta, I have that opportunity.  The Nxt received will be repaid or paid forward.

All that I can tell you is that I never ever had a problem with bter.com (as you are probably referring to them by the Panama company). l had problems with all other exchanges there included all mighty Mt Gox that had the reputation out of this world as you know, but never with bter.com. Yes, they did stuck my NXT deposit couple of times but they resolved it within 24h.

Dgex might be slow, but it seems to me that it might be the safest one. Just in the last 15 days that were 2 attempts to hack them and rob them and this slowness (manual checks) have prevented major fiascos.

I see you have a Hero status so I don't have to tell you that any exchange can go down tomorrow, there included Bitstamp and BTC-E.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:21:32 AM

I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it, the 75 initial "shareholders" are being way too stingy.

What's your problem with 73 initial stakeholders? They didn't dump at 10 satoshi, they didn't dump at 100 satoshi, at 1000 satoshi, at 5000 satoshi. They didn't even dump at 16 000 satoshi. They proved themselfs to be super reasonable holders. Some of them sold all their stakes through the trading thread to keep the price high. So if you're afraid that initial stakeholders might dump all coins and ruin price then don't, because they won't. Bitcoin and regular money like Dollar have way worse distribution, so if you don't like it, maybe you don't want to live on this planet anymore? If you're just greedy envious person and can't live with understanding that some people made good profit, it's your personal mental problem that has nothing to do with Nxt. Early Bictoin adopters become millioners last year. Can you live with that? Maybe you should just forget about cryptocurrencies if it hurts you so much.

You miss my point entirely but if you haven't gotten it by now I'm not going to waste the effort to try to explain it to you.  Can I live with "Bictoin" adopters becoming "millioners" last year?  Look at how long I've been around.  Yeah, I think I can live with that pal.

I'm not going to find shades in your point either. The fact is that Nxt is the best that the whole cryptocurrencies world can offer now, and small number of initial stakeholders is not a disadvantage. On the contrary in some way it's an advantage. I'm following Nxt almost from the start and I saw how people donated millions and millions coins for nodes, bounties and lots of other things. There was a really bad ddos attack for a few days and thanks to initial stakeholders we had hundreds of new nodes in the network.

"I've only looked into NXT for a short period but as I see it". You make me laugh. For me it sounds like "I've only looked into BTC for a short period but as I see it Satoshi ones 1 million coins so I'm staying out of it".

salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:08:22 AM

This is why the faucet is so ridiculous and I'm glad that it's being looked at.
I was looking at the faucet - there was a guy who used it 10x to register 30 aliases... There was a guy who used it 10x every day to collect some 400 Nxt. In past, threre was a giveaway of 500 Nxt on forums. What happened? One guy created 81 forum and nxt accounts and collected 41.000 Nxt into 1 single account after he gathered 80x500 from the giveaway
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:30:07 AM

I was looking at the faucet - there was a guy who used it 10x to register 30 aliases... There was a guy who used it 10x every day to collect some 400 Nxt. In past, threre was a giveaway of 500 Nxt on forums. What happened? One guy created 81 forum and nxt accounts and collected 41.000 Nxt into 1 single account after he gathered 80x500 from the giveaway

People are greedy. Unfortunately.
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:31:15 AM

Exactly. Faucets don't exist to make people rich, but to send them some coins to play with. I'm confused that Hero fucking Member doesn't understand basics.

salsacz

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:45:34 AM

we can do asset exchange giveaway (create billion shares, give 1000 to million people) or testnet giveaway
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:11:24 PM

we can do asset exchange giveaway (create billion shares, give 1000 to million people) or testnet giveaway

I've been watching nem, nxtl, bcc coins and it looks like there are only about 700-1000 active members here. So it'll be more like 1M to 1000 people. But the whole idea to involve people with asset giveaway is new and interesting. The only question is what the asset would be. The point is that every asset is backed up by something.

salsacz

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:14:04 PM

that point is fake, there will be shares backed by nothing
Damelon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:13:50 PM

Exactly. Faucets don't exist to make people rich, but to send them some coins to play with. I'm confused that Hero fucking Member doesn't understand basics.

Not a completely valid point.
A faucet doesn't exist to make people rich, agreed.
A faucet exists to enable people to test the coin or check it out.

The current faucet does not meet that basic criterium. Being able to do 2 transactions of 1 Nxt is not testing. Worse: it's frustrating and to mé would feel like that someone is trying to sucker me into buying that coin to "enjoy testing it".

Now I knów that we are not trying to do that, but perception is very important, especially in a paranoid field like the crypto community.

So: we're going to try to fix it. Smiley That is álso an important part of the crypto world, and one that I love.

Also: the new faucet system will be less easily drained by sockpuppets, if we do it right. This is because it's based on handing out codes to people, which requires a human factor. That takes work, sure, but the returns in the way of trust and people actually being able to work with Nxt in my view are more than worth it Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
ChuckOne

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:05:45 PM

NODE PROVIDERS: HARD FORK IMMINENT AT BLOCK 130K. PLEASE, UPDATE TO V1.0.0 ASAP.

USERS: If you know node providers, please inform them.
ChuckOne

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:07:46 PM

I reached out to several node providers in the last days. It seems at least some of them updated it. Some also responded to my requests.

We definitely need a more elaborated update notification mechanism.
sparta_cuss

Activity: 386

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:16:04 PM

Dido for me, if you have more to share my address is 6059522116849959387

Peace.

Btw on one of the nxt pages it says to contact people on the giveaway pages or something like that, but there is no link.  Is there somewhere we can more officially display our addresses to the founders to get some Nxt.

My plan is to give some out to all the bitcoiners at the next meet up here in Seoul.

If you take a look at the NXT blockchain explorer of Sparta Cuss account  http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=14748981975238803545   you will see that he is not holding too many NXT, yet he just part away with his 1000 NXT.

So don't expect that he will send everybody 500 since his 25,000 NXT stash will melt very fast in this way.

If anything, you just witnessed what great people are in the NXT community, when one guy holding 25,000 NXT (I am not saying this is a small amount, but comparing to people holding millions it is) sends 1000 NXT, than what can you say about a one community. When you add development on the top of this and other community members that are around for almost 5 months now, than you get a feeling that NXT will be going places in the future!

100% best community out of all crypto's out there, I can vouch for that!

Thank you for your comment, zorke.
I do have more than what you see in that account, but I've bought at market prices, which were often a lot higher than now. This is part of my retirement fund, so I have to be careful with it. But I do think it's important to contribute in some way. I can't write code, so donating to some members who seem like they can contribute to the community is the best I can do right now.

I suspect that some members of the community might not like such giveaways, since they, for the most part, have also had to buy NXT on the market. Giving away something that has value can sometimes undermine that value. So we should be careful with what and how much we give away and why. I was just getting impatient, I guess, and wanted to light a few fires to get something going and to feel like I was contributing.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:17:26 PM

@sparta_cuss, if the big stakeholders were the half generous you are, NXT community would be the greatest and most developed community of all cryptos.

I can only thank you for your "donations" and your positive point of view.

Cheers man!  Smiley
Sebastien256

Activity: 715

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:46:48 PM

Nxter, would it be possible to have your opinions on this:
https://nxtforum.org/nxt-promotion/longterm-nxt-mining-pool-bounty/
thanks

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:26:43 PM

Not a completely valid point.
A faucet doesn't exist to make people rich, agreed.
A faucet exists to enable people to test the coin or check it out.

The current faucet does not meet that basic criterium. Being able to do 2 transactions of 1 Nxt is not testing. Worse: it's frustrating and to mé would feel like that someone is trying to sucker me into buying that coin to "enjoy testing it".

Now I knów that we are not trying to do that, but perception is very important, especially in a paranoid field like the crypto community.

So: we're going to try to fix it. Smiley That is álso an important part of the crypto world, and one that I love.

Also: the new faucet system will be less easily drained by sockpuppets, if we do it right. This is because it's based on handing out codes to people, which requires a human factor. That takes work, sure, but the returns in the way of trust and people actually being able to work with Nxt in my view are more than worth it Smiley

Thank you.  I was going to write something along these lines but you saved me the time.

sparta_cuss

Activity: 386

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:27:10 PM

@sparta_cuss, if the big stakeholders were the half generous you are, NXT community would be the greatest and most developed community of all cryptos.

I can only thank you for your "donations" and your positive point of view.

Cheers man!  Smiley

Thanks, ShroomsKit_Disgrace. Just trying to do my little part.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:35:36 PM

I do have more than what you see in that account, but I've bought at market prices, which were often a lot higher than now. This is part of my retirement fund, so I have to be careful with it. But I do think it's important to contribute in some way. I can't write code, so donating to some members who seem like they can contribute to the community is the best I can do right now.

I suspect that some members of the community might not like such giveaways, since they, for the most part, have also had to buy NXT on the market. Giving away something that has value can sometimes undermine that value. So we should be careful with what and how much we give away and why. I was just getting impatient, I guess, and wanted to light a few fires to get something going and to feel like I was contributing.

You're doing things the right way.  I think the fallacy that some use is trying to compare a 2nd generation crypto to Bitcoin.  You simply can't do that because Bitcoin has a 5 year headstart.  When you're first to market you can get away with a lot of stuff that you cannot when you're trying to build upon that core infrastructure.  All these people using "Satoshi did this" or "early adopters own x" is just spinning their wheels.  You cannot be late to the game and expect to be afforded the same luxury as something that broke ground.

The entire goal right now is to entice people to use Nxt.  And you do that by giving them the opportunity to test it.  Luckily people like you and Damelon get that. 

Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 06:45:36 PM

You're doing things the right way.  I think the fallacy that some use is trying to compare a 2nd generation crypto to Bitcoin.  You simply can't do that because Bitcoin has a 5 year headstart.  When you're first to market you can get away with a lot of stuff that you cannot when you're trying to build upon that core infrastructure.  All these people using "Satoshi did this" or "early adopters own x" is just spinning their wheels.  You cannot be late to the game and expect to be afforded the same luxury as something that broke ground.

The entire goal right now is to entice people to use Nxt.  And you do that by giving them the opportunity to test it.  Luckily people like you and Damelon get that. 

This is true. I also think it's important not to try to compete directly with bitcoin. The "NXT is better than bitcoin because..." strategy sets up a them-and-us dynamic that alienates people who might otherwise be really interested. Instead, offering a change to test NXT, ideally with services they actually want and will use (decentralised crypto exchange, for one) is what's going to win people over.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 535 »
  Print  

Jump to: