Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:33:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] plugin for dd-wrt that allows selling internet connection to neighbors  (Read 5918 times)
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 05:02:11 PM

I just recently moved to a new apartment, and I have to wait 2-3 weeks before they can setup my internet connection. That really sucks. Perhaps some of my neighbours would see the opportunity and earn a couple of bucks with his wlan router.

I will start developing it later when I have finished my current bitcoin projects. However that will take time, so be free to implement the idea  Grin

Perhaps this could be even a profitable business, a company would offer the software/wifi routers and take a small cut from internet subscriptions.

To those that don't know, DD-WRT is an open source firmware for wifi routers, so additional functionality on top of it can be implemented easily. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 05:46:14 PM

or use your mining power to crack their WPA/WEP password Tongue

on a serious note. this would either require a payment processor to handle the payments, because running a client on a router is not an option.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 06:41:14 PM

on a serious note. this would either require a payment processor to handle the payments, because running a client on a router is not an option.

Or use Electrum or Stratum protocol.

legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:53:28 PM

Most likely against the ISP's terms of use. Be careful how you tread or they will find you.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
MORA

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:03:07 PM

Except for the bitcoin part, thats what fon does (http://corp.fon.com/en).

Its been a while since I used it, but its free wifi if you share one, and users without a shared AP themselves can buy access for a small fee.

They have routers that users can setup to make it easy, and makes 2 ssids, so the one you let others use are seperated from your private LAN.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

Except for the bitcoin part, thats what fon does (http://corp.fon.com/en).

Its been a while since I used it, but its free wifi if you share one, and users without a shared AP themselves can buy access for a small fee.

They have routers that users can setup to make it easy, and makes 2 ssids, so the one you let others use are seperated from your private LAN.

Yeah, I had one fon myself. It's a shame people don't use something like that a little more, I would pay for internet connection right now to someone Smiley

Just simple cost-sharing. OK, it could be against ISP rules, but who cares? And how is ISP going to see if the internet connection is resold or not?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 11:17:15 PM

why isn't an option ? because it takes too much resources on the router or it could be hacked ?  bitcoind has ssl support too

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:38:00 PM

I thought DD-WRT already had an option for "coffee shop" login where you get a temporary password that lasts x number of minutes.  Seems like it would be really easy to make it so it auto emails someone a temp password when they send you a payment.

This?:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Captive_Portal
coreking

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 05:43:59 AM

I'm currently running an open wifi network on my internet connection and using "nodogsplash" to hijack the first page access to display a message

WiFidog, has a lot of functionality and allows for payment:
http://dev.wifidog.org/
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 05:59:32 AM

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Captive_Portal
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 07:11:45 AM

http://hashcat.net/wiki/cracking_wpawpa2

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:05:55 AM

And what happens when the people you are selling access to, do something illegal with YOUR internet access?

Who will be tracked down and made to pay?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:18:25 AM

Most likely against the ISP's terms of use. Be careful how you tread or they will find you.

This... they will either fuck with your customers connections (html injections for one example), or filter you.  Also, many connections have monthly cap.  I'm talking about in the US, on Comcast's network to be clear.  Other jurisdictions and ISPs will vary, so check the terms of use.  They will find you.  Your statistics will be very different.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:27:54 AM

And what happens when the people you are selling access to, do something illegal with YOUR internet access?

It would be nifty if one could sell Tor-only internet access. Liability is the only reason I don't share my wireless for FREE, let alone for money.
MORA

Activity: 127

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 09:16:49 PM

It would be nifty if one could sell Tor-only internet access. Liability is the only reason I don't share my wireless for FREE, let alone for money.

If you run a linux firewall it would not be too hard, setup a tor relay and force all users to use the tor proxy, like many corporations already do (transparent proxy).

But tor is often slow and barely useful to check email.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 09:20:27 PM

Yeah. dd-wrt already has this, so what are you wanting that is different?

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 04:46:19 AM

Yeah. dd-wrt already has this, so what are you wanting that is different?

Bitcoin?

Some of the router captive portal packages are third-party companies, the router sends the wifi user to a page on their server where they can purchase credits or a password, and the owner of the router gets a cut of the profits. Hotels outsource to companies like this, where 24 hours cost $10 or something ridiculous like that. It would seem easiest to convince these companies to take Bitcoin too, as they already have the rest done.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 05:09:18 AM

Oh. The OP said "bucks" so I didn't think Bitcoin was what he was asking for. I guess I should have assumed since this is bitcointalk

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:58:25 AM

If someone makes a captive portal that accepts bitcoin I will install it.. 

I think this is a great idea..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 06:45:23 PM

If someone makes a captive portal that accepts bitcoin I will install it..  

I think this is a great idea..

+1 i can manage both dd-wrt and openwrt. They easily support php that has json-rpc libraries available out there (http://jsonrpcphp.org/) and be able talk to a bitcoin daemon. You could just point a few routers at it. Support for ssl/tls would be great because bitcoind already has it and would enable any individual share the same wallet with captive portals outside his lan.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: