Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:43:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?  (Read 5460 times)
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:35:50 PM

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Yes, it started already.

It's supposedly started. I mean did you already receive portal login information and initial course materials? I don't know anyone that has yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:48:53 AM

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Yes, it started already.

It's supposedly started. I mean did you already receive portal login information and initial course materials? I don't know anyone that has yet.

Yes login etc to the portal...it has def started!
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:39:22 PM

Anyone who's taking this program, please keep us updated.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:11:45 PM

Is there a syllabus somewhere that we can take a look at?

Is this course heavy on cryptography?
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:30:07 PM

Do you get anything like a certificate if you complete the free course? Also do you know if it's too late to sign up? I'm really interested in this, but I think I've missed the boat?

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:11:57 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 07:48:27 PM by moni3z

1. Read the bitcoin whitepaper and updates
2. Read SICP http://hackerretreat.com/why-how-start-sicp/
3. Familiarize with C/C++ from any MOOC like Coursera or http://www.buildyourownlisp.com and/or read 'Advance Programming in the Unix Environment'. Here is a good intro to C++
4. Take intro crypto courses on Coursera or Matthew Green's crypto course: http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/650.445/650.445__Main.html
5. Take the Matasano Crypto Challenges to further enhance your C++/C skillz and learn pitfalls of crypto engineering http://www.matasano.com/articles/crypto-challenges/
6. Re-read the bitcoin whitepaper and now actually understand it, the Bitcoin API wiki. and read through the actual code on github
7. Take this startup engineering course to round yourself out: https://www.coursera.org/course/startup

Cost: $0.00

If you want to boost math skills get Sheldon Axler's "Precalculus Version 2" which assumes you remember nothing from highschool like trig.
Then get his other book "Linear Algebra Done Right" because it is awesome. Coursera/MIT OpenCourseware both have good "Mathematics for Computer Science" courses in discrete math, induction, probability and other essentials you should know. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-fall-2010/
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:22:56 PM

and MSc for something that should just be a college drop out first year certificate..

IE no detailed understanding of the code required is not worthy of a MSc.

just learning the history of money, knowing how to use a wallet and api commands should be a highschool level certificate

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
abraarukuk

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:24:25 PM

someone please tell me how to receive BTC?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:44:44 PM

someone please tell me how to receive BTC?
the best place to start is http://www.bitcoin.org, this will gt you started. if you want to skip th learning stage tonight and just get onto playing with penny amounts right now then start with a basic wallet such as blockchain.info just to get into action instantly.

once inside you will see "this is your bitcoin address" and a bit long jumble of characters. this jumble of characters is your bitcoin address, more specifically the public part that you are free to tell and show people.

next you can find people willing to sell you bitcoins on places like localbitcoins.com.

you can do jobs, EG going to jobs listing websites and offer any skill you have and ask them to pay you bitcoins to your bitcoin address

and lastly you can google 'bitcoin faucets' to get a small amount (alot less then 1cent) but atleast it will get you started to learn how to use bitcoins.

there are many bitcoin video's and introduction 'walk through guides' and if ever unsure use the search function of google and this forum.

once you start playing around with more then penny/cent amounts of bitcoin and begin to want to be secure. you will want to download a legitimate client wallet that sits on your computer instead of the internet. so refer to bitcoin.org for details

although the community is a helpful lot, you will have to understand that most people do not have the time and patience to explain every little detail about the whole last 5 years of services and history, and hand it to you on a platter for free in a small timeframe. it WILL take you time to learn it all, so be patient and try to learn the bits that will mean most to you, rather then trying to beg people to teach you everything.

have fun, welcome to the ecosystem where YOU own your wealth, and its not on loan to you by others or meant to be secured by others. and the main 3 lessons i can teach you now is

1. if you dont know the people you are trading with, they have no reputation and you cant physically slap them with a wet fish if they steal from you. dont get involved in the first place with them.
2. trust is everything as the funds cannot be reversed later
3. dont risk more then your willing to lose on any third party, only put pocketmoney/daily spend amounts on website wallets and handing to unknown strangers.(imagine with each transaction as if it was a suitcase of bank notes would you send it to that person/business based on their rep)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:36:30 AM

Why is Python not required?
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:57:54 PM

That is interesting. I have thought of doing something like that, but I am not sure of the university and its reputation. I would rather pursue maybe an MBA that has a crypto designation in there, maybe half the curriculum.
Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:46:25 PM

tao67 (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:54:41 AM

Any feedback about the Msc of Digital currency of Cyprus ? It has started for a moment now.
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 02:27:24 AM

Had the first promotion already graduate?

How did this end up?
devnu11

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:18:27 PM

Had the first promotion already graduate?

How did this end up?
ATM, there is class 6 going on, so not finished yet. First batch will proly end in Q1 2016.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:24:57 PM

I think it's really expensive for what it offers... The classes may be good and the speakers too, but I don't see people coming out of there with more skills or insight than some people who've been dedicating themselves to Bitcoin outside an academic environment. I also don't see companies accepting employees based on the fact they had this course...

Credit-wise, it's also expensive, but not the most expensive thing there is. It's about 130€/credit. In my country values can go up to 150/160€/ECTS, so there's that in favor Cheesy
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:31:44 PM

First time that i hear about MSc of Digital Currency, seems a great degree.
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:18:49 AM

This is the first I have heard about this. Looking at the course schedule, seems it started in 2014 and  I haven't heard of it till now, so I would suggest unless the reviews were good enough, it would be best to skip it, even though the line of lecturers is good.
ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:25:25 AM

Cons :
- the University of Nicosia is not the best university in the world
When you have quoted that this University is not the best in the world, they why on this earth you would go for it and pay your hard earned money which is not worth to invest on such institutions, search one of the online affiliated institutions by your country.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:10:53 AM

Just to make sure, you do know all the material they'll be teaching in the course is available free of charge on the internet, right?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: