Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?  (Read 5460 times)
tao67 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:23:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I am hesitating to register for the MSc Digital currency, based in Cyprus. (http://digitalcurrency.unic.ac.cy/)

My objective is to work later in a bitcoin related company. I have a background in economy/finance from France and I am looking for the best way to do something related to bitcoin.

Pros :

- the first Master related to bitcoin, and digital currency in general

- Andreas Antonopoulos is one of the lecturer

- you can do it entirely online

- you can pay tuitions with bitcoins !

Cons :

- the University of Nicosia is not the best university in the world

- i am afraid it will be only a vague introduction and not enough technical

- it is quite expensive for an online program

- the best way to work in bitcoin industry, is maybe to do your normal job applied in a bitcoin company

What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tao67 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:38:41 PM

Nobody has an opinion about it ?

Strange..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:38:40 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 09:30:08 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Without detailed evidence to the contrary I see this as just a money grab.  Businesses often realize they can generate some revenue by being the Bitcoin first in their industry/field.   "nobody is offering Bitcoin related degrees so lets offer some" kind of thinking.  I would have more respect for a "bootcamp" type program which offers to get experienced developers up to speed on bitcoin specific issues ("Mastering Bitcoin for the Java Programmer"), tan a diploma mill cranking out a new diploma for the "fad of the year".  I would love to be proved wrong but without solid evidence to the contrary I see it as high risk.

nescio9

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

I advise against. The total cost of the degree is €11,760, and you are only paying for distant learning!
You should do the free MOOC and look at the courses that interest you. They list recommended readings per course, study them if interested.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:35:26 PM

Better to a master in information technology related rather than just on digital currency. The bitcoin businesses is not going to employ you because you completed a crypto master, they take you in because you are skilled.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:16:29 AM

There is almost nothing you cannot learn for free/on your own.
However, sometimes it is vital to have good teachers.
"Learn of the skilful; he that teaches himself, has a fool for his master." - Benjamin Franklin.

erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:19:08 AM

That looks incredible. Signing up for the course since I need the extra motivation as well as instruction on how to get into it.

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 12:54:28 PM

Instead from lectures you probably can just learning from internet.

Who cares about online master degree any way.

RockHound

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:36:26 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 03:50:21 PM by RockHound

Hi Tao67,

I have a friend who is currently enrolled onto MSc Digital Currency program at UNIC.

Sure he wouldn't mind giving you a fair Students assessment/review.

Caleb is also a budding crypto entrepreneur  Cool Just shoot an email to Caleb at bitbybitbybitcoin@gmail.com to arrange facetime/skype session.

bitbybitbybitcoin

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:54:35 PM

Thanks for the shout out, RockHound!

Bit_Happy raises an extremely valid point.

For me, applying for this MSc in Digital Currency was a no-brainer.  I plan on eventually going to graduate school and I need a Master's to "make up" for my abysmal undergraduate GPA Tongue.

Tao67, I'll address your cons list one by one:

Cons :

That might be true...  Even through the incredibly "objective" paradigm of college rankings:  If and when an actual "best" university in the world, such as MIT, launches a MSc in Digital Currency... UNic will still be #2; furthermore, Unic will still be the 1st University to have started the trend.

I think this concern is unfounded.  The courses are not going to be code-intensive so there is that intrinsic cap on how technical things will be getting; however, with Andreas heavily involved in the curriculum design I have no doubt that I will be challenged, regardless.

The distance learning is a feature and I don't think we should compare UNic to UPheonix online courses.  Furthermore, compared to other Master's programs, UNic is cheaper.

- the best way to work in bitcoin industry, is maybe to do your normal job applied in a bitcoin company

I graduated in May 2013.  I didn't yet exactly have a "normal job" that I could transplant into the Bitcoin industry, which is something a LOT of y'all do.  I think anyone with set skills that they know can be applied in a Bitcoin company right now should try to go that route with the next 18 months.  I would recommend those that are currently finishing their undergraduate degrees, or those that recently received their undergraduate degrees, apply for the entire program. 

I recommend that everyone in the entire fuckin' world sign up for the free Introduction to Digital Currency course.

RockHound

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:13:19 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2014, 03:17:48 AM by RockHound

Cheers for your insights bro!

I'm a geologist by trade, but interested on what this post grad course has to offer.

Had a brief look at the syllabus (interesting subject areas) and impressed with faculty/staff (There's a collective wealth of knowledge this course gives you access to).

For me personally, I would like to see stronger links to industrial contacts, although Andreas Antonopoulos would be an excellent resource/mentor.

As a company considering viable movement to BTC integration, I would also look upon a candidate with this qualification favorably.

Caleb, thanks again for finding this post! You have my email so keep me updated, perhaps we can do a joint venture project in the future  Smiley

bitbybitbybitcoin

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:24:57 PM

That explains the username!

I'm always interested in joint ventures Smiley.
RockHound

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:33:26 PM

That explains the username!

I'm always interested in joint ventures Smiley.

Great! Best of luck with the course - don't study too hard  Smiley

When do you graduate MSc Digital Currency?
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:41:02 PM

Better off doing computer science
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:19:13 PM

Without detailed evidence to the contrary I see this as just a money grab.  Businesses often realize they can generate some revenue by being the Bitcoin first in their industry/field.   "nobody is offering Bitcoin related degrees so lets offer some" kind of thinking.  I would have more respect for a "bootcamp" type program which offers to get developers up to speed on Bitcoin related issues concerns, than a diploma mill cranking out a new diploma for the "fad of the year".

I agree with the above.   It is also relatively costly...  I also think your money may be better put to use doing computer science, like the above poster mentioned.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 05:34:35 AM

you can learn more from a few google searches and maybe once getting the basics. then going to a few bitcoin hackathons. there is also nothing stopping you from building your own business. to become the payment processor and making the shopping carts and payment apps for stores and merchants in your own area to use.

listening to lectures is a snails pace way of learning (in one ear out the other) google and github is your answer.

still dont want to start your own business, but work for a bitcoin business instead, well:
start learning how to API call the bitcoind/bitoinj and other protocol tools and start building useful services. increase your knowledge of the bitcoin sourcecode and the other features bitcoin offers to expand your project websites and then use that as your C.V/resume to then apply to businesses which you feel you have idea's and suggestions for features that they can add.

in this day and age.. having a degree is meaningless.. there is no point having a degree if in 5 years time the coding language you used at the time is obsolete. so these days most companies like to see working projects to see your skills in their best light

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

you can learn more from a few google searches and maybe once getting the basics. then going to a few bitcoin hackathons. there is also nothing stopping you from building your own business. to become the payment processor and making the shopping carts and payment apps for stores and merchants in your own area to use.

listening to lectures is a snails pace way of learning (in one ear out the other) google and github is your answer.

still dont want to start your own business, but work for a bitcoin business instead, well:
start learning how to API call the bitcoind/bitoinj and other protocol tools and start building useful services. increase your knowledge of the bitcoin sourcecode and the other features bitcoin offers to expand your project websites and then use that as your C.V/resume to then apply to businesses which you feel you have idea's and suggestions for features that they can add.

in this day and age.. having a degree is meaningless.. there is no point having a degree if in 5 years time the coding language you used at the time is obsolete. so these days most companies like to see working projects to see your skills in their best light

This is true! The only real need for colleges anymore is to help with certifications. And most of those you can get on your own.
Manfred Macx

Activity: 205
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2014, 11:17:05 AM

I came across this about a month ago and it seemed really interesting. The courses seem very detailed but as a software developer I'd prefer an accent on software part of BTC, and less on regulation and economics (although both are good to have). I'm more of a DIY guy and prefer learning for myself and finding info on net instead of taking courses, but this was the only one where I actually thought: I'd like to attend this. In the end I signed up for MOOC. I probably know that stuff, but it's always good to hear Andreas talk.

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 01:25:34 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 01:45:24 AM by Anotheranonlol

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:52:58 AM

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Yes, it started already.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:35:50 PM

Yes, it started already.

It's supposedly started. I mean did you already receive portal login information and initial course materials? I don't know anyone that has yet.

Saigonsmokes

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:48:53 AM

Yes, it started already.

It's supposedly started. I mean did you already receive portal login information and initial course materials? I don't know anyone that has yet.

Yes login etc to the portal...it has def started!
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:39:22 PM

Anyone who's taking this program, please keep us updated.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:11:45 PM

Is there a syllabus somewhere that we can take a look at?

Is this course heavy on cryptography?
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:30:07 PM

Do you get anything like a certificate if you complete the free course? Also do you know if it's too late to sign up? I'm really interested in this, but I think I've missed the boat?

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:11:57 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 07:48:27 PM by moni3z

1. Read the bitcoin whitepaper and updates
2. Read SICP http://hackerretreat.com/why-how-start-sicp/
3. Familiarize with C/C++ from any MOOC like Coursera or http://www.buildyourownlisp.com and/or read 'Advance Programming in the Unix Environment'. Here is a good intro to C++
4. Take intro crypto courses on Coursera or Matthew Green's crypto course: http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/650.445/650.445__Main.html
5. Take the Matasano Crypto Challenges to further enhance your C++/C skillz and learn pitfalls of crypto engineering http://www.matasano.com/articles/crypto-challenges/
6. Re-read the bitcoin whitepaper and now actually understand it, the Bitcoin API wiki. and read through the actual code on github
7. Take this startup engineering course to round yourself out: https://www.coursera.org/course/startup

Cost: $0.00

If you want to boost math skills get Sheldon Axler's "Precalculus Version 2" which assumes you remember nothing from highschool like trig.
Then get his other book "Linear Algebra Done Right" because it is awesome. Coursera/MIT OpenCourseware both have good "Mathematics for Computer Science" courses in discrete math, induction, probability and other essentials you should know. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-fall-2010/
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:22:56 PM

and MSc for something that should just be a college drop out first year certificate..

IE no detailed understanding of the code required is not worthy of a MSc.

just learning the history of money, knowing how to use a wallet and api commands should be a highschool level certificate

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
abraarukuk

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:24:25 PM

someone please tell me how to receive BTC?
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:44:44 PM

someone please tell me how to receive BTC?
the best place to start is http://www.bitcoin.org, this will gt you started. if you want to skip th learning stage tonight and just get onto playing with penny amounts right now then start with a basic wallet such as blockchain.info just to get into action instantly.

once inside you will see "this is your bitcoin address" and a bit long jumble of characters. this jumble of characters is your bitcoin address, more specifically the public part that you are free to tell and show people.

next you can find people willing to sell you bitcoins on places like localbitcoins.com.

you can do jobs, EG going to jobs listing websites and offer any skill you have and ask them to pay you bitcoins to your bitcoin address

and lastly you can google 'bitcoin faucets' to get a small amount (alot less then 1cent) but atleast it will get you started to learn how to use bitcoins.

there are many bitcoin video's and introduction 'walk through guides' and if ever unsure use the search function of google and this forum.

once you start playing around with more then penny/cent amounts of bitcoin and begin to want to be secure. you will want to download a legitimate client wallet that sits on your computer instead of the internet. so refer to bitcoin.org for details

although the community is a helpful lot, you will have to understand that most people do not have the time and patience to explain every little detail about the whole last 5 years of services and history, and hand it to you on a platter for free in a small timeframe. it WILL take you time to learn it all, so be patient and try to learn the bits that will mean most to you, rather then trying to beg people to teach you everything.

have fun, welcome to the ecosystem where YOU own your wealth, and its not on loan to you by others or meant to be secured by others. and the main 3 lessons i can teach you now is

1. if you dont know the people you are trading with, they have no reputation and you cant physically slap them with a wet fish if they steal from you. dont get involved in the first place with them.
2. trust is everything as the funds cannot be reversed later
3. dont risk more then your willing to lose on any third party, only put pocketmoney/daily spend amounts on website wallets and handing to unknown strangers.(imagine with each transaction as if it was a suitcase of bank notes would you send it to that person/business based on their rep)

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:36:30 AM

Why is Python not required?
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:57:54 PM

That is interesting. I have thought of doing something like that, but I am not sure of the university and its reputation. I would rather pursue maybe an MBA that has a crypto designation in there, maybe half the curriculum.
Saigonsmokes

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:46:25 PM

tao67 (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:54:41 AM

Any feedback about the Msc of Digital currency of Cyprus ? It has started for a moment now.
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 02:27:24 AM

Had the first promotion already graduate?

How did this end up?
devnu11

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:18:27 PM

Had the first promotion already graduate?

How did this end up?
ATM, there is class 6 going on, so not finished yet. First batch will proly end in Q1 2016.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:24:57 PM

I think it's really expensive for what it offers... The classes may be good and the speakers too, but I don't see people coming out of there with more skills or insight than some people who've been dedicating themselves to Bitcoin outside an academic environment. I also don't see companies accepting employees based on the fact they had this course...

Credit-wise, it's also expensive, but not the most expensive thing there is. It's about 130€/credit. In my country values can go up to 150/160€/ECTS, so there's that in favor Cheesy
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:31:44 PM

First time that i hear about MSc of Digital Currency, seems a great degree.
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:18:49 AM

This is the first I have heard about this. Looking at the course schedule, seems it started in 2014 and  I haven't heard of it till now, so I would suggest unless the reviews were good enough, it would be best to skip it, even though the line of lecturers is good.
ThEmporium

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:25:25 AM

Cons :
When you have quoted that this University is not the best in the world, they why on this earth you would go for it and pay your hard earned money which is not worth to invest on such institutions, search one of the online affiliated institutions by your country.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:10:53 AM

Just to make sure, you do know all the material they'll be teaching in the course is available free of charge on the internet, right?

devnu11

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:30:06 AM

Just to clear things a bit ...

• we're having many bumps during the study, some, but not all, can be attributed to the rapidly developing field (often we're discussing something and at the same time major new developments occur)
  • many (most?) got 50% discount on initial $11k, don't know what are the prices ATM
  • one big advantage of such program is that it forces you to study systematically ... compare 10-15h per week of focused study versus random internet searching ... to some, it is important that they obtain a wider picture and myself i'm starting to think about things in ways i've not imagined before
  • if I knew how this would turn out, I wouldn't enroll, because I'm more into development and so far we've had none or almost none
  • if you enjoyed the MOOC, this MSc is just getting much deeper into each of MOOC's topics

batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 10:25:39 AM

The best thing about bitcoin is that its open source, you want to learn about it and study it then download the whitepaper, study the github, install the client and teach yourself the commands.

I am currently studying the DFIN-511-MOOC 3.0, it's a great course but no course is going to show you everything especially in such a rapidly growing field. Bitcoin is endless but the MSc does help

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
devnu11

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:14:08 PM

There was a short intro about MSc at one of recent MOOC session, for anyone interested, start watching at 1:02

https://youtu.be/C8E5t5J9Rio
Tey

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:53:07 AM

yes agree that everyone should take the free online MOOC, the information on the MSc is available online and free , its the whole arrangement and presentation of the material that i like. Pus the forum and the weekly meetings with Andreas Ant. makes it worth to go for it.
University of Nicosea is not the best in the world , but still its the first to offer blockchain based certifications instructed by reputable experts such as Andreas Ant.

Thanks for the shout out, RockHound!

Bit_Happy raises an extremely valid point.

For me, applying for this MSc in Digital Currency was a no-brainer.  I plan on eventually going to graduate school and I need a Master's to "make up" for my abysmal undergraduate GPA Tongue.

Tao67, I'll address your cons list one by one:

Cons :

That might be true...  Even through the incredibly "objective" paradigm of college rankings:  If and when an actual "best" university in the world, such as MIT, launches a MSc in Digital Currency... UNic will still be #2; furthermore, Unic will still be the 1st University to have started the trend.

I think this concern is unfounded.  The courses are not going to be code-intensive so there is that intrinsic cap on how technical things will be getting; however, with Andreas heavily involved in the curriculum design I have no doubt that I will be challenged, regardless.

The distance learning is a feature and I don't think we should compare UNic to UPheonix online courses.  Furthermore, compared to other Master's programs, UNic is cheaper.

I graduated in May 2013.  I didn't yet exactly have a "normal job" that I could transplant into the Bitcoin industry, which is something a LOT of y'all do.  I think anyone with set skills that they know can be applied in a Bitcoin company right now should try to go that route with the next 18 months.  I would recommend those that are currently finishing their undergraduate degrees, or those that recently received their undergraduate degrees, apply for the entire program. 

I recommend that everyone in the entire fuckin' world sign up for the free Introduction to Digital Currency course.

DOTMHG

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:16:47 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2018, 09:29:00 PM by DOTMHG

Yes, it started already.

I am 4 Years Late on this one. Better late then Never Anyway!  Just completed the MOOC9 (Awesome Course) and my Certificate is on the Blockchain now.  I have also just been granted a place on the MSc Digital Currency programme (Of cause this includes the Blockchain Technology and a lot more). 15K euro.  Heading for a scholarship if i can get one
boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:24:03 PM

Looks like a money grab. Usually any degree that can be completed entirely online will not be seen as desirable by employers. And in the crypto-sphere, the only thing that really matters is experience, which is quite easy to get if you have the contacts and perseverance necessary. Unless it's almost free, don't bother with it in my opinion, I'm sure you can get the same info for free from Udemy, and the qualification will be similarly poorly recognized.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: