Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:46:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?  (Read 5460 times)
tao67 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:23:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I am hesitating to register for the MSc Digital currency, based in Cyprus. (http://digitalcurrency.unic.ac.cy/)

My objective is to work later in a bitcoin related company. I have a background in economy/finance from France and I am looking for the best way to do something related to bitcoin.

Pros :

- the first Master related to bitcoin, and digital currency in general

- Andreas Antonopoulos is one of the lecturer

- you can do it entirely online

- you can pay tuitions with bitcoins !

Cons :

- the University of Nicosia is not the best university in the world

- i am afraid it will be only a vague introduction and not enough technical

- it is quite expensive for an online program

- the best way to work in bitcoin industry, is maybe to do your normal job applied in a bitcoin company

What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tao67 (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:38:41 PM

Nobody has an opinion about it ?

Strange..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:38:40 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 09:30:08 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Without detailed evidence to the contrary I see this as just a money grab.  Businesses often realize they can generate some revenue by being the Bitcoin first in their industry/field.   "nobody is offering Bitcoin related degrees so lets offer some" kind of thinking.  I would have more respect for a "bootcamp" type program which offers to get experienced developers up to speed on bitcoin specific issues ("Mastering Bitcoin for the Java Programmer"), tan a diploma mill cranking out a new diploma for the "fad of the year".  I would love to be proved wrong but without solid evidence to the contrary I see it as high risk.

nescio9

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

I advise against. The total cost of the degree is €11,760, and you are only paying for distant learning!
You should do the free MOOC and look at the courses that interest you. They list recommended readings per course, study them if interested.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:35:26 PM

Better to a master in information technology related rather than just on digital currency. The bitcoin businesses is not going to employ you because you completed a crypto master, they take you in because you are skilled.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:16:29 AM

There is almost nothing you cannot learn for free/on your own.
However, sometimes it is vital to have good teachers.
"Learn of the skilful; he that teaches himself, has a fool for his master." - Benjamin Franklin.

erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:19:08 AM

That looks incredible. Signing up for the course since I need the extra motivation as well as instruction on how to get into it.

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 12:54:28 PM

Instead from lectures you probably can just learning from internet.

Who cares about online master degree any way.

RockHound

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:36:26 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 03:50:21 PM by RockHound

Hi Tao67,

I have a friend who is currently enrolled onto MSc Digital Currency program at UNIC.

Sure he wouldn't mind giving you a fair Students assessment/review.

Caleb is also a budding crypto entrepreneur  Cool Just shoot an email to Caleb at bitbybitbybitcoin@gmail.com to arrange facetime/skype session.

bitbybitbybitcoin

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:54:35 PM

Thanks for the shout out, RockHound!

Bit_Happy raises an extremely valid point.

For me, applying for this MSc in Digital Currency was a no-brainer.  I plan on eventually going to graduate school and I need a Master's to "make up" for my abysmal undergraduate GPA Tongue.

Tao67, I'll address your cons list one by one:

Cons :

- the University of Nicosia is not the best university in the world

That might be true...  Even through the incredibly "objective" paradigm of college rankings:  If and when an actual "best" university in the world, such as MIT, launches a MSc in Digital Currency... UNic will still be #2; furthermore, Unic will still be the 1st University to have started the trend.

- i am afraid it will be only a vague introduction and not enough technical

I think this concern is unfounded.  The courses are not going to be code-intensive so there is that intrinsic cap on how technical things will be getting; however, with Andreas heavily involved in the curriculum design I have no doubt that I will be challenged, regardless.

- it is quite expensive for an online program

The distance learning is a feature and I don't think we should compare UNic to UPheonix online courses.  Furthermore, compared to other Master's programs, UNic is cheaper.

- the best way to work in bitcoin industry, is maybe to do your normal job applied in a bitcoin company

I graduated in May 2013.  I didn't yet exactly have a "normal job" that I could transplant into the Bitcoin industry, which is something a LOT of y'all do.  I think anyone with set skills that they know can be applied in a Bitcoin company right now should try to go that route with the next 18 months.  I would recommend those that are currently finishing their undergraduate degrees, or those that recently received their undergraduate degrees, apply for the entire program. 

I recommend that everyone in the entire fuckin' world sign up for the free Introduction to Digital Currency course.

RockHound

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:13:19 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2014, 03:17:48 AM by RockHound

Cheers for your insights bro!

I'm a geologist by trade, but interested on what this post grad course has to offer.

Had a brief look at the syllabus (interesting subject areas) and impressed with faculty/staff (There's a collective wealth of knowledge this course gives you access to).

For me personally, I would like to see stronger links to industrial contacts, although Andreas Antonopoulos would be an excellent resource/mentor.

As a company considering viable movement to BTC integration, I would also look upon a candidate with this qualification favorably.

Caleb, thanks again for finding this post! You have my email so keep me updated, perhaps we can do a joint venture project in the future  Smiley

bitbybitbybitcoin

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:24:57 PM

That explains the username!

I'm always interested in joint ventures Smiley.
RockHound

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:33:26 PM

That explains the username!

I'm always interested in joint ventures Smiley.

Great! Best of luck with the course - don't study too hard  Smiley

When do you graduate MSc Digital Currency?
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:41:02 PM

Better off doing computer science
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:19:13 PM

Without detailed evidence to the contrary I see this as just a money grab.  Businesses often realize they can generate some revenue by being the Bitcoin first in their industry/field.   "nobody is offering Bitcoin related degrees so lets offer some" kind of thinking.  I would have more respect for a "bootcamp" type program which offers to get developers up to speed on Bitcoin related issues concerns, than a diploma mill cranking out a new diploma for the "fad of the year".

I agree with the above.   It is also relatively costly...  I also think your money may be better put to use doing computer science, like the above poster mentioned.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 05:34:35 AM

you can learn more from a few google searches and maybe once getting the basics. then going to a few bitcoin hackathons. there is also nothing stopping you from building your own business. to become the payment processor and making the shopping carts and payment apps for stores and merchants in your own area to use.

listening to lectures is a snails pace way of learning (in one ear out the other) google and github is your answer.

still dont want to start your own business, but work for a bitcoin business instead, well:
start learning how to API call the bitcoind/bitoinj and other protocol tools and start building useful services. increase your knowledge of the bitcoin sourcecode and the other features bitcoin offers to expand your project websites and then use that as your C.V/resume to then apply to businesses which you feel you have idea's and suggestions for features that they can add.

in this day and age.. having a degree is meaningless.. there is no point having a degree if in 5 years time the coding language you used at the time is obsolete. so these days most companies like to see working projects to see your skills in their best light

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

you can learn more from a few google searches and maybe once getting the basics. then going to a few bitcoin hackathons. there is also nothing stopping you from building your own business. to become the payment processor and making the shopping carts and payment apps for stores and merchants in your own area to use.

listening to lectures is a snails pace way of learning (in one ear out the other) google and github is your answer.

still dont want to start your own business, but work for a bitcoin business instead, well:
start learning how to API call the bitcoind/bitoinj and other protocol tools and start building useful services. increase your knowledge of the bitcoin sourcecode and the other features bitcoin offers to expand your project websites and then use that as your C.V/resume to then apply to businesses which you feel you have idea's and suggestions for features that they can add.

in this day and age.. having a degree is meaningless.. there is no point having a degree if in 5 years time the coding language you used at the time is obsolete. so these days most companies like to see working projects to see your skills in their best light

This is true! The only real need for colleges anymore is to help with certifications. And most of those you can get on your own.
Manfred Macx

Activity: 205
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2014, 11:17:05 AM

I came across this about a month ago and it seemed really interesting. The courses seem very detailed but as a software developer I'd prefer an accent on software part of BTC, and less on regulation and economics (although both are good to have). I'm more of a DIY guy and prefer learning for myself and finding info on net instead of taking courses, but this was the only one where I actually thought: I'd like to attend this. In the end I signed up for MOOC. I probably know that stuff, but it's always good to hear Andreas talk.

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 01:25:34 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 01:45:24 AM by Anotheranonlol

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:52:58 AM

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Yes, it started already.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: