Scorpio - 13 (11.7%)
Sagittarius - 14 (12.6%)
Capricorn - 4 (3.6%)
Aquarius - 12 (10.8%)
Pisces - 8 (7.2%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll :: Which star sign likes BTC most/least  (Read 10732 times)
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 10:33:00 PM

Astrology is insanity, and this is not the right forum for it.

Please move this superstitious nonsense to "Off-Topic".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 10:33:44 PM

If it got that bad, or there were lots of threads like it, then sure some lines would have to be drawn as to what exactly is relevant to speculating, but since it hasn't happened yet there's no need to make a big deal out of it.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 10:37:40 PM

or better yet delete it.

what? an approximately even spread on the poll? big surprise Shocked

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 10:50:58 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2012, 11:53:22 PM by Otoh

or better yet delete it.

even spread?

1 with 9 votes,

another with just 1,

out of 12

that are synchronistic to OP predictions

sure

in your dreams

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 11:03:26 PM

♫ This is the dawning of the age of aquarius ♫

scorpio myself tho  Shocked

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:11:47 PM

or better yet delete it.

Astrology is just as rigorously scientific as any technical analysis.

My hypothesis was that Aquarius would dominate this poll, and so far that hypothesis is supported by evidence.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 11:18:36 PM

right, for all you skeptards, astrology is kinda like, cosmic elliott waves ffs  Angry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:25:37 PM

Sure Western Astrology is bunk, but not necessary to move it, unless we are going to move all the threads about elliot waves, and whatever else people are on about these days  Wink

FTFY

Western Astrology is based on a translation of Vedic Astrology that was accurate at the time it was translated.  However, they simplified it by ignoring precession (earth's wobble on it's axis).  In present day, western astrology is off by almost one whole sign.  It's hard to make accurate predictions about how celestial bodies will effect us when all of their supposed positions are wrong.  Vedic Astrology, OTOH, is accurate about positions and can be tremendously useful.  When my girlfriend gets fussy, I check out her chart.  It doesn't tell me exact details, but it lets me know the types of energy she is dealing with and when it will pass.  It is often blindingly obvious where the behavior comes from once I look at the chart.  It's also useful when I feel off and want to know why.

Am I just inventing patterns where they don't exist?  Perhaps.  But, astrology is a tool that has eased my mind and helped me decide how to move forward several times.  Life is always better after I check some charts and see what the hell is going on.  Besides, I do believe that EM radiation from the sun bounces off each planet differently before it returns to us.  It seems plausible to me that we are effected by how all those frequencies interact as they are seen from here on Earth.

I have never explored using it for trading, as to me that seems cheap.  I have too much respect for the usefulness of it to abuse it for monetary gain.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Crypt_Current

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:33:16 PM

Sure Western Astrology is bunk, but not necessary to move it, unless we are going to move all the threads about elliot waves, and whatever else people are on about these days  Wink

FTFY

Western Astrology is based on a translation of Vedic Astrology that was accurate at the time it was translated.  However, they simplified it by ignoring precession (earth's wobble on it's axis).  In present day, western astrology is off by almost one whole sign.  It's hard to make accurate predictions about how celestial bodies will effect us when all of their supposed positions are wrong.  Vedic Astrology, OTOH, is accurate about positions and can be tremendously useful.  When my girlfriend gets fussy, I check out her chart.  It doesn't tell me exact details, but it lets me know the types of energy she is dealing with and when it will pass.  It is often blindingly obvious where the behavior comes from once I look at the chart.  It's also useful when I feel off and want to know why.

Am I just inventing patterns where they don't exist?  Perhaps.  But, astrology is a tool that has eased my mind and helped me decide how to move forward several times.  Life is always better after I check some charts and see what the hell is going on.  Besides, I do believe that EM radiation from the sun bounces off each planet differently before it returns to us.  It seems plausible to me that we are effected by how all those frequencies interact as they are seen from here on Earth.

I have never explored using it for trading, as to me that seems cheap.  I have too much respect for the usefulness of it to abuse it for monetary gain.

+ many 1's for defending astrology in a general sort of way...

Like any other "science", it is just a method (or algorithm or set of rules) for computing machines (human brains) to take raw data and transform it into information (data with meaning).

I find that even with the whole lack of account for precession in Western Astrology, I can still use the signs as they are and the archetypes that they attempt to explain to apply meaning to human behavior that would otherwise be completely random noise, and to divide behaviors into categories based on the archetypes so as to better organize the data in order to manipulate it into information (i.e., in order to better make sense of my environment).

The main general argument from the layman I tend to hear against astrology in any form, is something like:  "Yeah right, how can those stars and planets BILLIONS of light-years away possibly be affecting WHAT I'M DOING?"
This general argument is usually easily countered by invoking the big-bang:  Usually the layman will have some faith in the whole "Big Bang" theory.  So you say something like, "OK, well if at one point everything was just a single thing, that blew up to form the Universe, then isn't everything in the Universe really just part of everything else?  That is, Everything was at least at one point in time, Connected..."
If I were the layman, I would counter-argue with extrapolation on the phrase "in time", and dicker as to whether the Big Bang happened in time or not  Grin
I am not the layman though.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:42:57 PM

or better yet delete it.

even spread?

1 with 9 votes,

another with just 1,

out of 12

sure

in your dreams

"LOL 1 HAZ 9 AND 1 HAZ 1 UR WRONG"

please use statistical analysis and show me that given the sample size, this is not an 'approximately' even spread, since i did in fact use that word.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:46:21 PM

FTFY

Western Astrology is based on a translation of Vedic Astrology that was accurate at the time it was translated.  However, they simplified it by ignoring precession (earth's wobble on it's axis).  In present day, western astrology is off by almost one whole sign.  It's hard to make accurate predictions about how celestial bodies will effect us when all of their supposed positions are wrong.  Vedic Astrology, OTOH, is accurate about positions and can be tremendously useful.  When my girlfriend gets fussy, I check out her chart.  It doesn't tell me exact details, but it lets me know the types of energy she is dealing with and when it will pass.  It is often blindingly obvious where the behavior comes from once I look at the chart.  It's also useful when I feel off and want to know why.

Am I just inventing patterns where they don't exist?  Perhaps.  But, astrology is a tool that has eased my mind and helped me decide how to move forward several times.  Life is always better after I check some charts and see what the hell is going on.  Besides, I do believe that EM radiation from the sun bounces off each planet differently before it returns to us.  It seems plausible to me that we are effected by how all those frequencies interact as they are seen from here on Earth.

I have never explored using it for trading, as to me that seems cheap.  I have too much respect for the usefulness of it to abuse it for monetary gain.

Like any other "science", it is just a method (or algorithm or set of rules) for computing machines (human brains) to take raw data and transform it into information (data with meaning).

I find that even with the whole lack of account for precession in Western Astrology, I can still use the signs as they are and the archetypes that they attempt to explain to apply meaning to human behavior that would otherwise be completely random noise, and to divide behaviors into categories based on the archetypes so as to better organize the data in order to manipulate it into information (i.e., in order to better make sense of my environment).

The main general argument from the layman I tend to hear against astrology in any form, is something like:  "Yeah right, how can those stars and planets BILLIONS of light-years away possibly be affecting WHAT I'M DOING?"
This general argument is usually easily countered by invoking the big-bang:  Usually the layman will have some faith in the whole "Big Bang" theory.  So you say something like, "OK, well if at one point everything was just a single thing, that blew up to form the Universe, then isn't everything in the Universe really just part of everything else?  That is, Everything was at least at one point in time, Connected..."
If I were the layman, I would counter-argue with extrapolation on the phrase "in time", and dicker as to whether the Big Bang happened in time or not  Grin

please learn about confirmation bias, and about the psychological success of cold reading.

then learn some astronomy, and you'll find that the constellation in which the sun rises on the birthdays bounded by the astrological symbols have shifted in the 2000 or so years such that the calibration is now completely off (ironically, by almost 1/12, such that the signs ought to be shifted roughly one over).

then explain to me, even if it does somehow 'predict' personality archetypes, how correlation = (or even implies) causation; i.e. you have to find a mechanism through which the time of year you're born permanently and decidedly limits/predicts your personality.

...then get your head out of your ass and stop believing in star signs. really.

Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 11:50:14 PM

FTFY

please learn about confirmation bias, and about the psychological success of cold reading.

then learn some astronomy, and you'll find that the constellation in which the sun rises on the birthdays bounded by the astrological symbols have shifted in the 2000 or so years such that the calibration is now completely off (ironically, by almost 1/12, such that the signs ought to be shifted roughly one over).

then explain to me, even if it does somehow 'predict' personality archetypes, how correlation = (or even implies) causation; i.e. you have to find a mechanism through which the time of year you're born permanently and decidedly limits/predicts your personality.

...then get your head out of your ass and stop believing in star signs. really.

+21397123791273

Please listen to this wise man Smiley

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:52:44 PM

FTFY

Western Astrology is based on a translation of Vedic Astrology that was accurate at the time it was translated.  However, they simplified it by ignoring precession (earth's wobble on it's axis).  In present day, western astrology is off by almost one whole sign.  It's hard to make accurate predictions about how celestial bodies will effect us when all of their supposed positions are wrong.  Vedic Astrology, OTOH, is accurate about positions and can be tremendously useful.  When my girlfriend gets fussy, I check out her chart.  It doesn't tell me exact details, but it lets me know the types of energy she is dealing with and when it will pass.  It is often blindingly obvious where the behavior comes from once I look at the chart.  It's also useful when I feel off and want to know why.

Am I just inventing patterns where they don't exist?  Perhaps.  But, astrology is a tool that has eased my mind and helped me decide how to move forward several times.  Life is always better after I check some charts and see what the hell is going on.  Besides, I do believe that EM radiation from the sun bounces off each planet differently before it returns to us.  It seems plausible to me that we are effected by how all those frequencies interact as they are seen from here on Earth.

I have never explored using it for trading, as to me that seems cheap.  I have too much respect for the usefulness of it to abuse it for monetary gain.

[emphasis mine]

btw, thanks for defining 'confirmation bias' for me.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:00:35 AM

I agree... Even just studying the archetypes is useful as they are just descriptions of various personality types.  But, (and this is a weakness of astrology that needs to be understood by anyone who takes it seriously) it is very easy to accept the wrong archetype and live as if it is your natural state.  For example, I'm a scorpio sun sign by western astrology, but a libra by Vedic (positionally-accurate) astrology.  I happen to also have a strong Mars influence in my chart, so scoprio was plausible to me until I discovered the truth about Western astrology's origins.  However, I never really believed in western astrology, just looked at it with idle curiousity.  It just didn't seem accurate.

Also, with Vedic astrology, you don't just look at the sun sign.  The sun sign is indicative of the outer personality you show those who know you, the moon sign is indicative of internal emotional personality, and the ascendant sign (the sign rising on the horizon at birth) is indicative of the personality you show those who you consider "strangers".  Those are just key indicators and a real reading looks at all the grahas(sanskrit for "heavenly body") as well as Rahu/Ketu (the eclipse points), both at birth, and their current positions.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:04:25 AM

FTFY

[emphasis mine]

btw, thanks for defining 'confirmation bias' for me.

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias, myside bias or verification bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.

I see unexplained behavior.
I seek new information.
That new information explains the behavior.

Sounds more like the scientific method than confirmation bias to me.

Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:06:37 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2012, 01:23:27 AM by Otoh

or better yet delete it.

even spread?

1 with 9 votes,

another with just 1,

out of 12

sure

in your dreams

"LOL 1 HAZ 9 AND 1 HAZ 1 UR WRONG"

please use statistical analysis and show me that given the sample size, this is not an 'approximately' even spread, since i did in fact use that word.

um as it's you who seems to have got his knickers in a twist about this then why don't you do the statistical analysis to show that this isn't an approximately even spread & don't forget to take in to account on a scale of 1 to 12 adjusted for positive,neutral & negative expectations stated by my predictions for each sign, hard maybe to do exactly but even a dodo could probably spot that Libra/Virgo/Capricorn are rated low whilst Sagittarius/Aquarius are rated high, use an independent third parties to do a blind comparisons or program a bot to do it for you & you will see that your probability stats are pwned - average or not & perhaps ur narrow view on reality too if you were honest with ur scientific testing (& yes this can happen every x thousand/million times you run a test but we're talking here about my one time predictions & your one time calling me out on them)

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 12:07:12 AM

Please look up the definition of "illusory correlation". Might explain a lot more than those stars =)

Definition:

An illusory correlation is the perception of a relationship between two variables when only a minor or absolutely no relationship actually exists. For example, people sometimes assume that because two events occurred together at one point in the past, that one event must be the cause of the other. These illusory correlations can occur both in scientific investigations and in real-world situations.

Stereotypes are a good example of illusory correlations. Research has shown that people tend to assume that certain groups and traits occur together, and frequently overestimate the strength of the association between the two variables. For example, let's suppose that a man holds a mistaken belief that all people from small towns are extremely kind. When the individual meets a very kind person, his immediate assumption might be that the person is from a small town, despite the fact that kindness is not related to city population.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:09:49 AM

Please look up the definition of "illusory correlation". Might explain a lot more than those stars =)

Definition:

An illusory correlation is the perception of a relationship between two variables when only a minor or absolutely no relationship actually exists. For example, people sometimes assume that because two events occurred together at one point in the past, that one event must be the cause of the other. These illusory correlations can occur both in scientific investigations and in real-world situations.

Stereotypes are a good example of illusory correlations. Research has shown that people tend to assume that certain groups and traits occur together, and frequently overestimate the strength of the association between the two variables. For example, let's suppose that a man holds a mistaken belief that all people from small towns are extremely kind. When the individual meets a very kind person, his immediate assumption might be that the person is from a small town, despite the fact that kindness is not related to city population.

You are wrong because sometimes people are wrong.  Got ya.  It sure explains a lot.

arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:14:40 AM

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias, myside bias or verification bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.

I see unexplained behavior.
I seek new information.
That new information explains the behavior.

Sounds more like the scientific method than confirmation bias to me.

wrong. science involves explaining behavior through models.

1. unexplained behavior
2. form hypothesis about correlation/causation between two variables
3. verify if causation holds given the evidence

there is no model here besides 'stars affect personality types'. this hypothesis needs to be tested. furthermore, unless a mechanism can demonstrate causation, it is a correlation at best (think ice cream sales and drownings).

your bias is assuming the model, and therefore focusing on the predictions of astrology that 'fit' your common sense (and most likely disregarding far more than you realize)

Crypt_Current

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 12:14:56 AM

Just for the record, I don't "believe in" star signs / astrology any more than I "believe in" technical analysis or I "believe in" the majestic power of the authority of a central bank.  But I have to work with what works best personally for me.

As I stated earlier, I understand Western astrology is broken, but for some reason it still works for me.  Confirmation bias, maybe, but at some base level, isn't all science just confirmation bias to keep people from going insane?  I.e. the need to turn data into information via any method available -- usually the "path of least resistance", and Astrology, broken or not, just happens to be that path for some people.  Like religion, as long as it is not forcibly pushed on anyone (i.e. as long as it does not get in the way of anyone else's freedom to practice whatever "science" they like / works best for them), there's nothing inherently wrong with practicing it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: