Scorpio - 13 (11.7%)
Sagittarius - 14 (12.6%)
Capricorn - 4 (3.6%)
Aquarius - 12 (10.8%)
Pisces - 8 (7.2%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll :: Which star sign likes BTC most/least  (Read 10732 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:28:39 AM

Emotions are not, could not be, in any way influenced by the stars.  Even if you believe they are.

How exactly do you know this?

Good question! On reading my own comment, I realize I have made my self look quite silly.
I have many times found myself awestruck by the beauty of a starry night, or the discoveries of astronomy.

So in this sense, emotions can be influenced by stars. Wink

That said, there are (at low temperatures) four forces in nature, precisely accountable for everything that has happened since the beginning of time.

The electromagnetic force. (Makes object solid, light, radiation.)
The strong nuclear force. (Keeps the nuclei of atoms from imploding or blowing apart.)
The weak nuclear force.  (Breaks down heavy, unstable atoms through radioactive decay.)
Gravity. (Keeps shit together, mostly.)

The strength of interactions generally decrease with distance to zero long, long, very much earlier indeed before we get to astronomical distances.

There is a immeasurably minuscule gravitational effect, but less than, say, that from a nearby apple.

There cannot conceivably be any real physical effect.  (That would not as a side effect destroy the universe, or otherwise be discovered.)

So close to zero that we can't even see the the stars that are millions of light years away.... oh wait.

Besides, I'm not talking light years.... once again I'm only looking within our solar system.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:39:21 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2012, 10:00:46 AM by elux

I'm guessing elux is either Aquarius or Pisces or right on the cusp between.  Possibly Libra or Virgo.

You'd be wrong, as could be expected with probability 2/3. You've now exhausted 4/12 options.
You'll have have equal probabilities of getting it right by random chance in two more tries.
Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2012, 11:39:08 PM by Otoh

Leos like to win, actually they insist upon it

... edited to add a few hours later:

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:00:03 AM

Why aren't you lot confused to hell by any of the obvious, fatal, non-recoverable problems with astrology? Smiley

So close to zero that we can't even see the the stars that are millions of light years away.... oh wait.

So... Does astrology only work during the night? When you're looking?

How do the stars, err, planets know what you've been doing throughout the day?

How do you know in advance which excuses to make for why the dragon in your garage can not be seen?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Dragon_in_My_Garage

Besides, I'm not talking light years.... once again I'm only looking within our solar system.

But wait...

Why these planets, not others! There are likely billions of planets in the Milky Way alone! (Not to mention stars in the Universe.)

What about the ones you didn't count, does astrology disregard objects on the southern hemisphere, only visible from Australia,
where astrology wasn't invented, and if so does astrology work in the Middle East, India, the US, but not Australia? Why?

PS: Generally we can only see "close" stars that are some several hundred lightyears distant. (Still hugely impressive in my opinion. Astronomy is fun!)   Cheesy
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:09:24 AM

You're self contradictory.

First you say I can't be right because it's too far, then when I counter that argument, you ask me why I ignore the distant objects.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any grahas that can only be seen from one hemisphere.

Slow down and attempt a cohesive argument instead of assuming you completely understand what I'm talking about.  I would agree that much of what gets passed off as astrology is BS.  You have either not read my previous posts or you have not paid attention when you did.  I'm tired of repeating myself.

arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:00:07 PM

are you kidding me??

correlation does not imply causation

do you understand what that means?

Yes, I understand what that means.  However, lack of evidence does not disprove causation.  Do you understand what that means?

How the hell is one supposed to prove that the moon contributed to a person's decision to kill themselves?  The best you can do is show correlation, and that has been demonstrated.  I will accept that causation in this case not falsifiable, but that doesn't make it inherently false.  It does mean you need a different tool from science to be able to make a decision.  Either way you decide, your decision is based on faith, so unless you decide to not decide, you are going on faith.

"lack of evidence does not disprove causation"

a causative relationship is a positive claim. a positive claim requires positive evidence. so yes, the positive claim that there is a mechanism by which the phase of the moon (or any astrology) directly affects people's actions and dispositions, there being no evidence for such a claim, should not be assumed by a rational person.

there is currently a lack of evidence for a causative relationship between ice cream sales and drownings. if someone believed in such a relationship, you would call them a conspiracy theorist.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:06:08 PM

are you kidding me??

correlation does not imply causation

do you understand what that means?

Yes, I understand what that means.  However, lack of evidence does not disprove causation.  Do you understand what that means?

How the hell is one supposed to prove that the moon contributed to a person's decision to kill themselves?  The best you can do is show correlation, and that has been demonstrated.  I will accept that causation in this case not falsifiable, but that doesn't make it inherently false.  It does mean you need a different tool from science to be able to make a decision.  Either way you decide, your decision is based on faith, so unless you decide to not decide, you are going on faith.

"lack of evidence does not disprove causation"

a causative relationship is a positive claim. a positive claim requires positive evidence. so yes, the positive claim that there is a mechanism by which the phase of the moon (or any astrology) directly affects people's actions and dispositions, there being no evidence for such a claim, should not be assumed by a rational person.

there is currently a lack of evidence for a causative relationship between ice cream sales and drownings. if someone believed in such a relationship, you would call them a conspiracy theorist.

EM and gravitational force are the mechanisms.

bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:14:26 PM

In that case can we mimic the effects of star charts using artificial lighting and centrifuges? Are astronauts more susceptible to the influence of the planets than earthbound people?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:18:35 PM

In that case can we mimic the effects of star charts using artificial lighting and centrifuges?
Possibly... if you're accurate enough.... but I don't think we have the equipment or knowledge to do this yet.
Are astronauts more susceptible to the influence of the planets than earthbound people?

No clue... I'd be willing to go to space to run some experiments.

bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:23:34 PM

Do you know the magnitudes of the energies you are talking about, have you compared this to thermal noise? Does the presence of Jupiter's great red spot affect the readings?

*edit=confusing wording
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:45:16 PM

Do you know the magnitudes of the energies you are talking about, have you compared this to thermal noise? Does the presence of Jupiter's great red spot affect the readings?

*edit=confusing wording

No, please enlighten me.  I know I can feel the sun on my skin on a clear day.  I know I can see the oceans follow the moon.  I believe I've read that other planets can alter the tides as well, but I don't have a source at the ready.  What causes Jupiter's great red spot?  If the red spot alter's Jupiter's electromagnetic field, or changes it's mass distribution significantly, than maybe, but I doubt it's worth worrying about 99.99999% of the time.

bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:46:02 PM

hmm, what organ is used to sense the EM radiation and gravity. The skin? Are burn victims less susceptible to the influence? What if you get a skin transplant? Does this effectively change your sign?

There are many good questions one could ask about astrology. Once we are all bitcoin millionaires we can start sending people up into space, etc to find answers to these questions.
bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:47:40 PM

*edit=confusing wording

No, please enlighten me.  I know I can feel the sun on my skin on a clear day.  I know I can see the oceans follow the moon.  I believe I've read that other planets can alter the tides as well, but I don't have a source at the ready.  What causes Jupiter's great red spot?  If the red spot alter's Jupiter's electromagnetic field, or changes it's mass distribution significantly, than maybe, but I doubt it's worth worrying about 99.99999% of the time.

Oh, I didn't realize the sun was involved. I thought it was only stars and planets. I will get back to you with some numbers.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:51:05 PM

hmm, what organ is used to sense the EM radiation and gravity. The skin? Are burn victims less susceptible to the influence? What if you get a skin transplant? Does this effectively change your sign?

There are many good questions one could ask about astrology. Once we are all bitcoin millionaires we can start sending people up into space, etc to find answers to these questions.

You do know light is EM radiation, right?  Maybe you're just trolling.  I've stated the details of my beliefs several times already in this thread.  If you want to continue to tag team me, please at least spare me from repeating myself.

Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:57:30 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 08:38:35 AM by Otoh

& my previous post above was updated a while back with elementally coloured bars, congrats Leos, you sunny ones, you  Smiley  Casascius will be pleased

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:04:16 PM

Pisces, because of short memory

Was this a guess at me? If so you would probably like to know that I am a Pisces.
bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:20:21 PM

*edit=confusing wording

F= G (M*m)/r^2
G=6.67 x 10^-11

Mass of Human = 68 kg
Mass of Earth =5.98x10^24 kg
Mass of Moon = 7.36x10^22 kg
Radius of Earth = 6,370,000 m
Distance to Moon = 3.83x10^8 m

Force due to earth on a person on the ground = 668.43174 N
Force due to earth on the same person on the third floor (11 meters) = 668.42943 N
Difference= 0.00231 N

Force due to moon on human at sea level = 0.00227 N

Conclusion: Any effect the gravitational pull of the moon may be having on a person could be equaled by moving 11 meters away from the earth, that is the same as going up about 3 floors.

The tides occur because of the huge distance between the near and far side of the earth (relative to the moon). Most peoples brains have a diameter much smaller than the diameter of the earth, which is why you don't get tidal effects in there due to the moon.
bb113

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:25:44 PM

You do know light is EM radiation, right?  Maybe you're just trolling.  I've stated the details of my beliefs several times already in this thread.  If you want to continue to tag team me, please at least spare me from repeating myself.

And yea, I assumed this stuff must still work for blind people so it had to be more than just eyesight.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:26:54 PM

Well, two questions arise:

How do these affect the behaviour of people?
Of course there are phenomena we know exist but don't know the exact causes of, so let's go for the more important one:
Do you have any evidence that predictions made by astrology are correct in a statistically significant sense?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 10:29:15 PM

Well, two questions arise:

How do these affect the behaviour of people?
Of course there are phenomena we know exist but don't know the exact causes of, so let's go for the more important one:
Do you have any evidence that predictions made by astrology are correct in a statistically significant sense?

I hate repeating myself.  I don't use astrology for predictive purposes.  Again, if you wish to continue tag teaming me please read my posts.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: