Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:49:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my initial choice of BTC wallet "permanent" or can I switch later?  (Read 1084 times)
d0ra123 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 10:40:16 PM

Beginner's Q here; I've done a lot of reading and finally ready to create a wallet and buy some BTC.

But I'd like to know now 'permanent' my choice of wallet is: I've always liked full-feature stuff, so I was leaning toward Armory...but having to download the entire blockchain has swayed me toward Electrum instead...

I just want to know how "stuck" I'll be with my initial choice....can i move BTC between two wallets?  If I opt for Electrum now, but later decide that I want the full-feature option with Armory, how would I switch?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:11:45 PM

There is no reason why you can't have multiple wallets. The easiest way to transfer bitcoins between them is to send bitcoins from one wallet to an address in the other wallet.

You can also "export" keys from one wallet and "import" them into the other wallet, but that might be complicated.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 11:19:11 PM

You can switch clients as many times as you want, either by sending coins from one to another or by importing private keys, or even use multiple at once. I personally have the Satoshi client as a full node on my computer, the schildbach android wallet on my phone, and a few bitcoins on coinbase for trading. The only drawback (though not necessarily, it depends how you look at it) of this is that each client must have a separate wallet file with its own addresses, as using the same address in multiple wallets can cause interesting errors when you try to spend coins. There's no limit to the number of addresses you can have.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 11:30:28 PM

Beginner's Q here; I've done a lot of reading and finally ready to create a wallet and buy some BTC.

But I'd like to know now 'permanent' my choice of wallet is: I've always liked full-feature stuff, so I was leaning toward Armory...but having to download the entire blockchain has swayed me toward Electrum instead...

I just want to know how "stuck" I'll be with my initial choice....can i move BTC between two wallets?  If I opt for Electrum now, but later decide that I want the full-feature option with Armory, how would I switch?

I suggest to use Bitcoin-Core. It need a blockchain but you can use Armory in a same time Smiley and Electrum.

Sending coins between wallets is easy as sending e-mails.

If you have any questions just ask Smiley
Regards.
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:44:00 AM

I suggest to use Bitcoin-Core. It need a blockchain but you can use Armory in a same time Smiley and Electrum.

Regards.

I think for a relative newbie, I would advise against using Bitcoin Core, because downloading all that blockchain seems to be too much and seems to discourage many people who don't know about Thin Clients.
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:16:52 AM

You can always get a new wallet and send your bitcoin to it easily. Smiley

deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:20:35 PM

in begining better use online wallet like coinbase.

Domino

Activity: 662

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:29:31 PM

in begining better use online wallet like coinbase.

As the old saying goes, "if you don't have the private keys, you don't have the bitcoin". Cheesy

durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:31:24 PM

i have always wondered if i am able to open my bitcoin wallet from another computer. like lets say can i open my bitcoin wallet that i have on my pc at home . while im at my gfs house on her computer. if this is possible can someone tell me how?

Domino

Activity: 662

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:36:39 PM

i have always wondered if i am able to open my bitcoin wallet from another computer. like lets say can i open my bitcoin wallet that i have on my pc at home . while im at my gfs house on her computer. if this is possible can someone tell me how?

You can use Electrum portable for that easily.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 03:23:18 PM

Regards.

I think for a relative newbie, I would advise against using Bitcoin Core, because downloading all that blockchain seems to be too much and seems to discourage many people who don't know about Thin Clients.

Well maybe you're right. Depends on users needs.

I must say I found "Bitcoin Wallet" for Android devices is my favorite Tongue as that one I am using mostly.

Downloading a blockchain might discourage ... but IMO - new games needs 30gb-40gb sometimes and people do not say nothing. Install and play Smiley

I say. If you do not need "pro" functions - "Bitcoin Wallet" for Android is enough Tongue and it works gr8.IMO.
activebiz

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:25:20 PM

Once u create a wallet, u should backup and copy ur private key to a safe location, with it u can access ur bitcoins from anywhere

notguessinchina

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:40:43 PM

You can change it at anytime you want.
Nagato4

Activity: 625

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:29:39 AM

Regards.

Very much agree.
It takes a pretty long time to download the blockchain even with the bootstrap torrent. I believe SPV like Multibit and Electrum are better choices for casual users and newcomers. Smiley

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:35:15 AM

No, as long as you have access to your private keys (in any format not necessarily WIF) you should be fine. Just open a new client and import those private keys and you'll be good to go.
MonkeyDOH

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:00:55 AM

You can use Electrum portable for that easily.

do a backup then export the private key on her computer
BigMac
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:59:06 PM

First, welcome to bitcointalk.

As many have already explained, you can switch to another wallet anytime you want.
You can take a try with different wallets first and find the one you really like.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:53:27 PM

You can make as many wallets as you want without costs. But transactions have costs of 0.00019 or something like that.
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 03:56:40 PM

I was wondering if there was a way I can have a wallet on a computer I can access from any computer like if I go to my gfs I can access my wallet

MegaHustlr

Activity: 601

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:21:33 PM

You can have as many wallets as you want, online ones and desktop ones Cheesy

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄