Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:03:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I talked with Amazon Live Support today...  (Read 18930 times)
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:59:41 PM

Not because it's not in their own interests, but only because Amazon is an American corporation, and thus a creation of the state.  The ire of government is likely the only thing that Amazon fears.

True indeed.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:28:44 AM

Bitcoin is not at all a competitor to paypal because it doesn't offer chargebacks. Paypal is all about buyer safety, same with credit cards. Bitcoin is maybe a competitor to Western Union/MoneyGram/Ukash/PSC
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:07:32 AM

Bitcoin is not at all a competitor to paypal because it doesn't offer chargebacks. Paypal is all about buyer safety, same with credit cards. Bitcoin is maybe a competitor to Western Union/MoneyGram/Ukash/PSC

Most people who use paypal, or credit cards for that matter, don't need the consumer protection services.  Bitcoin is, most certainly, a real threat to both these business models.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:36:14 AM

Most people who use paypal, or credit cards for that matter, don't need the consumer protection services.  Bitcoin is, most certainly, a real threat to both these business models.

They might not always need to use it but it's still there should something go wrong and that's the reason they are the #1 online payment methods in the world. If it was so unimportant these companies would ditch buyer protection but of course they never will that would be suicide for them.

Paypal is growing (unfortunately) they just put out press releases on how huge their international traffic is getting. http://www.internetretailing.net/2012/01/paypals-international-business-overtakes-its-home-market-for-the-first-time/

That said bitcoins are perfect for countries like India/Pak where paypal is banned. If you want to promote bitcoin concentrate on those countries merchants there would love a decentralized money system their corrupt governments can't get at that has no rules

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:27:28 AM

They might not always need to use it but it's still there should something go wrong and that's the reason they are the #1 online payment methods in the world. If it was so unimportant these companies would ditch buyer protection but of course they never will that would be suicide for them.

Paypal is growing (unfortunately) they just put out press releases on how huge their international traffic is getting. http://www.internetretailing.net/2012/01/paypals-international-business-overtakes-its-home-market-for-the-first-time/

That said bitcoins are perfect for countries like India/Pak where paypal is banned. If you want to promote bitcoin concentrate on those countries merchants there would love a decentralized money system their corrupt governments can't get at that has no rules

Paypal and CC's have consumer credit protection clauses because they are required by law.  They have done so well primarily because there really hasn't been much choice in the matter.  Not that CC's are simply going to go away, but bitcoin really is a threat to much of the business that the presently do receive.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nefanon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 08:13:02 PM

Anyone else contact Amazon, ThinkGeek, Etsy, or anywhere?

The more the merrier!
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:14:51 PM

Me: I saw on The Good Wife that Amazon accepts bitcoins, but I can't find your bitcoin address anywhere.
Roger: I'm sorry, I haven't heard about that. I will check with my supervisor.
Me: Great, thanks.
Roger: Hi, apparently the tv show made a mistake. They were meant to say "You can spend bitcoins on Amazon through spendbitcoins.com."
Me: Ah, but that page looks a bit difficult to navigate.
Roger: Let me check with my supervisor.
Me: Okay.
Roger: My supervisor says it's not as hard as it looks, but that they are bringing out a new design & browser extension in mid-February which will make it even easier than using a credit card on Amazon. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: Nope not at the moment, thanks for your time!
Roger: Have a great day

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 09:16:19 PM

Me: I saw on The Good Wife that Amazon accepts bitcoins, but I can't find your bitcoin address anywhere.
Roger:I'm sorry, I haven't heard about that. I will check with my supervisor.
Roger: Hi, apparently the tv show made a mistake. They were meant to say "You can spend bitcoins on Amazon through spendbitcoins.com.
Roger: My supervisor says it's not as hard as it looks, but that they are bringing out a new & design browser extension in mid-February which will make it even easier than using a credit card on Amazon. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: nope not at the moment, thanks for your time!
Oh, the irony.  That's killer.   Cheesy

Is the rumor of a new site design and browser extension true?

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:17:46 PM

Roger: Hi, apparently the tv show made a mistake. They were meant to say "You can spend bitcoins on Amazon through spendbitcoins.com."
Roger: My supervisor says it's not as hard as it looks, but that they are bringing out a new design  & browser extension in mid-February which will make it even easier than using a credit card on Amazon. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Oh, the irony.  That's killer.   Cheesy

Haha. The above conversation was completely made up. And yes, the new site design and browser extension are coming very soon. With the browser extension you'll just go straight to Amazon et al and not need to go back and forth to spendbitcoins.com. Smiley

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 09:25:23 PM

Roger: My supervisor says it's not as hard as it looks, but that they are bringing out a new design  & browser extension in mid-February which will make it even easier than using a credit card on Amazon. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Oh, the irony.  That's killer.   Cheesy

Haha. The above conversation was completely made up. And yes, the new site design and browser extension are coming very soon. With the browser extension you'll just go straight to Amazon et al and not need to go back and forth to spendbitcoins.com. Smiley
Haha, and I fell for it too!  Glad to hear you're continuing to work on improving the site/service though.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:36:14 PM

oh i so much hope amazon will not get angry over people/plugins messing with their payment process. I was thinking about a plugin adding bitcoin as a payment option to all these pages but it was too obvious to me that this might get me into legal trouble.

crossing fingers for you Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 08:32:10 AM

My guess is that folk living in countries that have have more corruption than ours will love Bitcoin since their currencies are often devalued due to local scandal. It would be no surprise to me if companies like Amazon start using Bitcoin to circumvent local mob control and drive more revenue because Bitcoiners will have more spending power.

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
matonis

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 08:42:46 AM

It may not be too soon. Amazon can always roll out a trial for limited purchases like certain 'digital goods' only. They could also limit bitcoin to certain countries with restricted payment options during any such trial. Also, I cannot imagine that Amazon is just ignoring the millions of USD/EUR/GBP/etc that could be saved in VISA/MC/AMEX/PayPal merchant processing fees!

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
nefanon

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 04:48:16 PM

It may not be too soon. Amazon can always roll out a trial for limited purchases like certain 'digital goods' only. They could also limit bitcoin to certain countries with restricted payment options during any such trial. Also, I cannot imagine that Amazon is just ignoring the millions of USD/EUR/GBP/etc that could be saved in VISA/MC/AMEX/PayPal merchant processing fees!
Agreed!
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 06:18:12 PM

They would be stupid, not to make a limited trial with Bitcoins sometime.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
arabianights

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 05:14:19 PM

This is a great idea for a thread. The importance of Amazon accepting bitcoins just can't be overstated.

Here is how my conversation went*:

You are now connected to Alan from Amazon.co.uk.
Me:
Hi, do you accept bitcoins and if not will you consider accepting them?
Alan:
Hi David,
Bitcoin? I'm sorry but I've never heard of that.
Is that like a temporary visa card or does it relate to virtual coins like on facebook?
Me:
it's an e-currency, at the moment one is worth roughly £3.40 but that fluctuates by supply and demand
there are no transaction costs
which should make it reasonably attractive to you I should have thoguht
Alan:
Ah, currently we do not accept e-currencies like this. What is your domestic currency?
Me:
sterling
bitcoin is very different to any other e-currency for a variety of reasons
you can find a bunch of info on it using google
Alan:
Thanks for that, any charges you incur placing an order on our website using a sterling account would relate to your bank, we have no control over that.
Me:
I am talking from your perspective
in that when you accept credit cards and so on at the moment
you have to pay a fee
where as you wouldn't if you used bitcoin
there is no company behind bitcoin, it's all open source
Alan:
thanks for the suggestion, I didn't relaise you were just chatting from our point of view just there.
I can pass on your suggestion to our business team for review.
Me:
I would be pleased if you could, yes
Alan:
I have just looked up bitcoin as we have spoken.
Me:
a good site for learning more about bitcoins with a video they could look at is http://www.weusecoins.com/
Alan:
If the payments are irreversible as far as I can see.
Interesting.
The official bitcoin site als says the process is experimental
http://bitcoin.org/
Either way I'll pass on your feedback, if it proves secure and convenient for customers it will be considered in due course.
Can I help with anything else?
Me:
the client is experimental, but the network itself is running and other merchants are using it
nothing else other than bitcoin - although would you be able to get whatever committee it is that you are passing it on to to respond to me after they have looked at it?
Alan:
The internal teams generally don't do that. If it was something we would take up it would be announced publicly.
Me:
ok, fair does
have a good weekend!
Alan:
you too.

*I'm aware the thing about transaction costs is not strictly correct, but I was out to sell it!
nefanon

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 02:51:29 AM

This is a great idea for a thread. The importance of Amazon accepting bitcoins just can't be overstated.

Me:
Alan:
Hi David,
Is that like a temporary visa card or does it relate to virtual coins like on facebook?
Me:
it's an e-currency, at the moment one is worth roughly £3.40 but that fluctuates by supply and demand
Alan:
Ah, currently we do not accept e-currencies like this. What is your domestic currency?
Me:
sterling
Alan:
Thanks for that, any charges you incur placing an order on our website using a sterling account would relate to your bank, we have no control over that.
Me:
you have to pay a fee
Alan:
thanks for the suggestion, I didn't relaise you were just chatting from our point of view just there.
Me:
Alan:
Me:
a good site for learning more about bitcoins with a video they could look at is http://www.weusecoins.com/
Alan:
Interesting.
Either way I'll pass on your feedback, if it proves secure and convenient for customers it will be considered in due course.
Me:
the client is experimental, but the network itself is running and other merchants are using it
nothing else other than bitcoin - although would you be able to get whatever committee it is that you are passing it on to to respond to me after they have looked at it?
Alan:
The internal teams generally don't do that. If it was something we would take up it would be announced publicly.
Me:
ok, fair does
have a good weekend!
Alan:
you too.

*I'm aware the thing about transaction costs is not strictly correct, but I was out to sell it!
I applaud your effort! =)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 04:05:49 AM

Expected this to be done late last month, but I'm assured we are getting very close. Smiley

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 04:40:52 AM

Expected this to be done late last month, but I'm assured we are getting very close. Smiley
That is very awesome.  Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 08:26:27 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2012, 08:43:49 AM by deepceleron

Me:
Alan:
Hi David,
Me:
Alan:
Me:
sterling
Alan:
Me:
you have to pay a fee
Alan:
Me:
Alan:
Me:
Alan:
Interesting.
Me:
Alan:
Me:
ok, fair does
have a good weekend!
Alan:
you too.

I applaud your effort! =)
Having worked support, I must deflate you a bit. All your phone call did was add your information and "Call Reason -> Other" to a database in Hyderabad, India, that will never be looked at again.

These are sad times. See, about 20 years ago, I was able to call ATI and actually talked to one of their engineers at length about my problems with their card and they were able to identify the bug with their card (ATI Graphics Ultra Pro - I found a link). I had his extension number. When I did support myself for another unnamed PC component manufacturer, I was one phone call away from engineers, and was able find, identify, and resolve compatibility problems, and turn them over to QA and deployment. Nowadays, support is an outsourced cost center who's only goal is placating the customer by reading a script and hanging up on them as fast as possible. Of course, computer users on the whole are a lot dumber now, too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: