Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:08:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free BTC at MIT  (Read 5994 times)
SomethingElse

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:09:51 AM

Breaking News January 2015.  After getting $100 in free bitcoin in 2014, a small group of MIT students dropout of school and invent a 2nd generation cryptocurrency that smashes bitcoin and goes on to be rapidly accepted by the whole world.  Hahahaha

Just saying... stranger things have happened.

NEM
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:19:58 AM

As a college student myself I'd love to be a part of this... I guess I need to transfer to MIT.

Or better, ask the alumni from your college / university  to do some BTC fundraising and distribution, just like those guys did there at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  Grin
Farmer17

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:21:18 AM

As a college student myself I'd love to be a part of this... I guess I need to transfer to MIT.

Or better, ask the alumni from your college / university  to do some BTC fundraising and distribution, just like those guys did there at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  Grin

Exactly.
IMO, seeking donation from alumni is the easy part, asking them to support a bitcoin event may be a little bit hard, especially if they "learn" about bitcoin from mass media. Smiley

windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

Exactly.
IMO, seeking donation from alumni is the easy part, asking them to support a bitcoin event may be a little bit hard, especially if they "learn" about bitcoin from mass media. Smiley

Not sure what school we are talking about here, but I'd be surprised if at least a few alum were not aware of the benefits of Bitcoin and already invested Wink

I believe the MIT donations were made in BTC.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:30:18 PM

It's an experiment.

So stop all science and give it to the homeless... Is that what I understand?
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:27:53 PM

I once did an online course from MIT. I should claim the $100 Cheesy
Beef Supreme

Activity: 140

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:56:29 AM

Breaking News January 2015.  After getting $100 in free bitcoin in 2014, a small group of MIT students dropout of school and invent a 2nd generation cryptocurrency that smashes bitcoin and goes on to be rapidly accepted by the whole world.  Hahahaha

Ha!  Glad Cryptsy will be there to offer shares five seconds after the first block is minted.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:19:55 AM

I had not thought of that, but now that you mention it:
Oops.

I think BTC will remain #1 (similar the the .com domain extension) and at least several alts will survive long-term.

Hash72

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:06:15 PM

i think mit students are the least people in the world who need free money
I don't think that this is about free money. This is about spreading knowledge and essentially some coins.

And the people who donated the coins donated it for a purpose - getting it into the hands of a lot of very technically minded students who can do development for it.  If someone else want to donate to a homeless shelter, no one is stopping them.

Some Groups in this life Donate for a purpose to achieve something(like BTC to MIT students) and other donate to help human being(Like diff charity support programs),,,,So there is no worry we two groups here with diff ideology ,,it is a nature of human being,..Perhaps BTC foundation can support Both of them.

elavenil

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:10:08 PM

Great effort. Two students able to rise half million for good cause. The more and more bitcoin acceptance is good for bitcoin community. 

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:55:55 PM

Great effort. Two students able to rise half million for good cause. The more and more bitcoin acceptance is good for bitcoin community. 

Yes... the credit should also go towards the alumni of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who contributed significant amounts of money to achieve the objective.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 02:06:56 PM

Students and free money ?

To much movies.

Idea is interesting still. I hope there will be more situations like this one.

cutetechie

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 02:45:55 PM

Great going! This is a great initiative. Hope we see more of this. Smiley
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 02:53:20 PM

Owning a little bit of bitcoin is a great way for students to learn about economics as well, not just technology.  Economics schools would do their students a fine service to offer them a small bitcoin investment.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:07:45 PM

Owning a little bit of bitcoin is a great way for students to learn about economics as well, not just technology. 

Well... Bitcoin combines technology with economy. And Technology students would more easily understand its merits and demerits when compared to the others. MIT was a great choice.  Grin
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:53:41 PM

i think mit students are the least people in the world who need free money
I don't think that this is about free money. This is about spreading knowledge and essentially some coins.

The point of this experiment is not to give students money but rather get them interested in this new technology, to study it and to hopefully try to change technology for the better
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 09:16:24 PM

http://bitcoin.mit.edu/announcing-the-mit-bitcoin-project/

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?

this should create at least a dozen new BTC bullish pontificators on this forum.  Money well spent.  Smiley

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:21:03 AM

Odds of an MIT student producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 5%. 

Odds of a homeless shelter resident producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 0.0005%. 

That's why.
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:28:35 AM

What better way to evolve bitcoin than to pique the interest of the future innovators of the world?
This is great news.
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:30:44 AM

And I couldn't have more respect for MIT, since bitcoin is often associated with drugs, and I could see negative media articles published about how MIT is "enabling" students to purchase illegal things...But they are smartly looking beyond that possibility.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: