Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:59:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free BTC at MIT  (Read 5994 times)
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:16:15 PM

Odds of an MIT student producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 5%. 

Odds of a homeless shelter resident producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 0.0005%. 

That's why.

That plus, in my experience at least, giving money to a homeless person usually results in the purchase of drugs and/or alcohol.

Giving a new kind of money to a college student would likely inspire ideas.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:51:48 AM

And I couldn't have more respect for MIT, since bitcoin is often associated with drugs, and I could see negative media articles published about how MIT is "enabling" students to purchase illegal things...But they are smartly looking beyond that possibility.

What will likely happen is the very smart students at MIT will find net and better uses for bitcoin
illymoka

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:17:47 AM

This is fantastic. Putting it in people's hands and letting them play with it is a great to get people--the smartest people in our country--interested.
Harley997

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

This is fantastic. Putting it in people's hands and letting them play with it is a great to get people--the smartest people in our country--interested.

This should and hopefully will lead to further innovations in the crypto currency market

PRIMEDICE
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:40:46 PM

Yes. Right now we should focus on popularizing Bitcoins among the tech savvy population. Storage of Bitcoins and other stuff are a bit complex for the non-tech savvy population currently.  Grin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:54:28 PM

Odds of an MIT student producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 5%.  

Odds of a homeless shelter resident producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 0.0005%.  

That's why.

That plus, in my experience at least, giving money to a homeless person usually results in the purchase of drugs and/or alcohol.

AND drugs... thats at least two things  Cheesy

rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:32:40 PM

who knows 10 years from now, it could be a world of bitcoins
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:13:43 PM

hacks brainstorm ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Harley997

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:36:28 AM

Odds of an MIT student producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 5%.  

Odds of a homeless shelter resident producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 0.0005%.  

That's why.

AND drugs... thats at least two things  Cheesy
I don't think very much (if any at all) of the MIT bitcoin money will be used for (illegal) drugs. The students have too much to lose by risking using drugs while a student there.

PRIMEDICE
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:09:37 AM

http://bitcoin.mit.edu/announcing-the-mit-bitcoin-project/

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?

I know you mean well, but you do not understand what you say. In order for BTC to ever help anybody, it needs to first be adopted by people who will actively develop it as a useful tool. Sorry, but that excludes every homeless person I have ever known. I am sure you could hunt down one or two homeless people who would actually start some sort of business or organization based on bitcoin if you gave them $100 of it, but personally, I would bet on the student having a better chance at helping to grow the network.

Where could a homeless person even spend it? Seriously, you would not be helping anybody at all if you did that, and, in fact, you would ultimately be hurting the bitcoin network growth and indirectly harming the homeless people by stymieing any sort of benefits that bitcoin might have ever been able to give towards wealth equality.

Give the homeless person $100 if you want, but don't do it in bitcoin. We aren't even close to the point in time where that would be helpful for anybody except to make you feel better about yourself.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:38:20 AM

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?

I know you mean well, but you do not understand what you say. In order for BTC to ever help anybody, it needs to first be adopted by people who will actively develop it as a useful tool. Sorry, but that excludes every homeless person I have ever known. I am sure you could hunt down one or two homeless people who would actually start some sort of business or organization based on bitcoin if you gave them $100 of it, but personally, I would bet on the student having a better chance at helping to grow the network.

Where could a homeless person even spend it? Seriously, you would not be helping anybody at all if you did that, and, in fact, you would ultimately be hurting the bitcoin network growth and indirectly harming the homeless people by stymieing any sort of benefits that bitcoin might have ever been able to give towards wealth equality.

Give the homeless person $100 if you want, but don't do it in bitcoin. We aren't even close to the point in time where that would be helpful for anybody except to make you feel better about yourself.
The difference between giving it to a homeless person and giving it to a student as a prestigious university is that a homeless person will ultimately use it to buy drugs/alcohol while the student will get inspired and will be able to further innovate  

EDIT: one person will be contributing to society while the other will be draining society
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:49:52 AM

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?

I know you mean well, but you do not understand what you say. In order for BTC to ever help anybody, it needs to first be adopted by people who will actively develop it as a useful tool. Sorry, but that excludes every homeless person I have ever known.

He said "a homeless shelter"

You completely changed the topic.
cosmicapex

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:00:06 AM

Odds of an MIT student producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 5%. 

Odds of a homeless shelter resident producing or using a new application or seeking a way to monetize something interesting?  Maybe 0.0005%. 

That's why.

AND drugs... thats at least two things  Cheesy
I don't think very much (if any at all) of the MIT bitcoin money will be used for (illegal) drugs. The students have too much to lose by risking using drugs while a student there.

The only reason the Bitcoin won't be used for drugs is because MIT students can already afford drugs and their dealers probably don't accept Bitcoin.

The notion that smart kids don't do drugs is laughable.  Smart kids do the most drugs; they're smart enough to not get caught.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:26:44 AM

now how would a homeless person use 100$ in bitcoin and also the fact that all of these mit students are going to learn about bitcoin is going to open the eyes to a whole new amount of people and its going to be good for bitcoin overall and hopefully will spread more knowledge as well
yes, bitcoin know how to defend himself in a way that we never expected. indeed he had several times fallen, but he immediately got up and fought again
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:53:16 AM

No, that doesn't change my message at all. Giving bitcoin to homeless shelters is not going to spur innovation either. MIT students are far more likely to start some sort of program for the homeless using bitcoin than some overworked shelter which barely has enough manpower to hand out soup and blankets.

You are living in a fantasy world. Give it to the students who will create the innovations in the network that will allow it to serve the homeless population well. Homeless shelters are not really known for technological innovation, in case your dumb ass didn't notice.
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:12:43 PM

No, that doesn't change my message at all. Giving bitcoin to homeless shelters is not going to spur innovation either. MIT students are far more likely to start some sort of program for the homeless using bitcoin than some overworked shelter which barely has enough manpower to hand out soup and blankets.

You are living in a fantasy world. Give it to the students who will create the innovations in the network that will allow it to serve the homeless population well. Homeless shelters are not really known for technological innovation, in case your dumb ass didn't notice.

You think anymore than maybe 1% or 2%, if even that, on these boards are using it for innovation? No they are no even spening it. They are holding and bullshitting about how rich and eliet they will be someday.

You dumb ass.
Harley997

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:08:44 PM

That's why.

AND drugs... thats at least two things  Cheesy

The only reason the Bitcoin won't be used for drugs is because MIT students can already afford drugs and their dealers probably don't accept Bitcoin.

The notion that smart kids don't do drugs is laughable.  Smart kids do the most drugs; they're smart enough to not get caught.
I would say that they are smart enough not to do drugs on campus and/or associate their drug use with their school.

PRIMEDICE
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:10:34 PM

You think anymore than maybe 1% or 2%, if even that, on these boards are using it for innovation? No they are no even spening it. They are holding and bullshitting about how rich and eliet they will be someday.

You dumb ass.
That is why bitcoin is generally not given away for free on these forums.

The people giving away the bitcoin are giving it to people who are likely to innovate as a result of their "gift"   
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:59:33 PM

This is a great promotional as it will bring more young people to know and use Bitcoin.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:56:58 AM

This is a great promotional as it will bring more young people to know and use Bitcoin.

I agree. Along those same lines I gave my young nephew a paper wallet loaded with a little bit of BTC for his birthday.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: