Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:22:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 21 million cap - when?  (Read 540 times)
platorin (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:15:42 AM

Could anyone tell me when will the 21 million bitcoin cap be reached?
railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:16:30 AM

prolly google

platorin (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:23:38 AM

prolly google
Yeah, well, I found something like that, but it's a little unclear to me:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

Could you explain the meaning of year 2024 and the global amount of bitcoins then? Below on that site is a reward list up to 2140 year. How do I read that
iHeartSmartArt

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:27:32 AM

Could anyone tell me when will the 21 million bitcoin cap be reached?

In the year 2140.
we want small supply, high price, and to be mining for a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-3r9L1a0k&feature=youtu.be

You are just in time for the first anonymous digital currency. https://darkcointalk.org/
platorin (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:34:54 AM

Understood. Thx, mates and all the best to you!
railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

by 2024 near as dammit all btc from the 21 million will already be mined (96.#%)

because block reward halves every ~4 years. like it's on 25btc nowadays (line 2), 12.5 bts soon enough.

so miners get less block rewards for mining towards 2100 and beyond. but they continue mining in order to collect transfer fees and to strengthen the blockchain

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:18:09 AM

Hmm..  a slightly off-topic: Why did Satoshi choose 21 million over any other number? Is it explained anywhere in his whitepaper?
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 09:39:57 PM

I don't know why satoshi chose 21 million but in reality won't people stop mining eventually? Like it will be to hard and not profitable?

Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 09:53:30 PM

I don't know why satoshi chose 21 million but in reality won't people stop mining eventually? Like it will be to hard and not profitable?

or Bitcoin price will be that high and we could be having 28 picometer Asics for making mining still profitable Tongue
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:36:37 PM

or Bitcoin price will be that high and we could be having 28 picometer Asics for making mining still profitable Tongue

Lol that is true of price keeps going up then mining will stay profitable and maybe that was satoshis goal and btw what happens when they are all mined up? Don't we need miners?

austin

Activity: 584

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:11:53 PM

Lol that is true of price keeps going up then mining will stay profitable and maybe that was satoshis goal and btw what happens when they are all mined up? Don't we need miners?
In 2140, when there are no more bitcoins left to mine, the miners will only receive the transaction fees paid by other bitcoin users. We still need them to continue mining and processing transactions. At that point, the fees should be significant enough to keep mining profitable.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:14:07 PM

In 2140, when there are no more bitcoins left to mine, the miners will only receive the transaction fees paid by other bitcoin users. We still need them to continue mining and processing transactions. At that point, the fees should be significant enough to keep mining profitable.

fees?  significant enough?

so fees of like 0.1 because bitcoin is pretty much worthless at that point?

i am here.
austin

Activity: 584

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:23:41 PM

fees?  significant enough?

so fees of like 0.1 because bitcoin is pretty much worthless at that point?
I should have worded that differently. Smiley
The network and number of users will be significantly larger by then. The fees may or may not stay the same, but many more people will be paying them.
bangi

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 02:21:48 AM

Its not anytime soon thats what I know of.

But then again we can that crazy swing back in 2 years ago where it hit from $200 - $1,000 in a matter of hours.
Loophole

Activity: 619

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:37:31 AM

Its not anytime soon thats what I know of.

But then again we can that crazy swing back in 2 years ago where it hit from $200 - $1,000 in a matter of hours.

Hours? It took almost 2 months to go from $200 to $1000 lol.  Smiley

Loophole

Activity: 619

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:38:54 AM

Or most of the miners have left and the difficulty will be so low that you can mine a dozen of blocks a day with a CPU. Smiley

Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:13:42 AM

Or most of the miners have left and the difficulty will be so low that you can mine a dozen of blocks a day with a CPU. Smiley

that's completely opposite but it could happen , nobody can tell for sure .
pseudonymdude
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:49:46 AM

As has been said, 2140 is the predicted date.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: