Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:32:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GOLD can now be made in laboratories and what it means for bitcoins  (Read 3589 times)
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:12:49 AM

These bacteria collect gold particles, they not make them. The title is misleading.

We have been throwing gold away bit by bit in our bins. Electronic products contains high percentage of gold in them. When they are discarded, the gold is lost. There is a gold recycling plant in Japan where they mined back those tiny traces of gold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bU-NwowzVE

The bacteria can do just that, but in slower and smaller scale. May be in the future, we can buy prepackaged DIY gold extraction kits using enhanced generations of these microbes.

People here seem to have a lack of knowledge about chemistry. The bacteria are just separating the Au atoms from the AuCl solution. IT is not MAKING Au atoms out of thin air

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:18:48 AM

@OP: The title you have is misleading - Gold can no more be produced by bacteria than I can from my crap. Unless you are completing transmutation in a nuclear reactor or the heart of a star you cannot create new amounts of an element. At the moment the cost is so great that it isn't worth it so there will be little change to the end supply of gold meaning that it won't affect Bitcoin in any way.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 12:01:53 PM

We need someone to build a blockchain collider. Then we're in business.
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 12:49:16 PM

People here seem to have a lack of knowledge about chemistry. The bacteria are just separating the Au atoms from the AuCl solution. IT is not MAKING Au atoms out of thin air

Yes!

Also, this article is from 2012.    Mighty big impact this has had, eh?

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 02:38:01 PM

This is what happens when you use a misleading topic title: two pages of posts saying to change the topic title. Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 02:45:17 PM

and the odds are it will be radioactive.

dont be silly. bacteria eat gold chloride and shits out clean gold(in laymans terms).. its not making gold, purely cleaning existant gold. and its not radioactive.. its chloride.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MegaHustlr

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:22:08 PM

This is just like diamonds. They can be produced by compressing carbon. But its not as sought after than the real deal. Gold price wont take a hit i dont think.

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
argov

Activity: 178

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:35:07 PM

It means next to nothing and even the scientist admits that.

As for what a man made precious metal or stone would do to a real market, I suppose diamonds are extremely cheap now since they can be man made, right LOL
There is a big difference between lab diamonds and 'real' diamonds. Lab diamonds are so cheap because they are ugly peaces of matter. You can make jewelleries of them.

I think the lab gold will be aswell, cheap and only for industry because it isn't the real stuff.

Greetings

1JBwWnqwxGTtqchacyHuhdjWZhYYonBuDf and 19KXWjUZnNPatoMZoRiFMzJFWA7mxBRPX5
DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 03:43:37 PM

Bit_Happy

I read a few months ago about a company in ICELAND mining BTC using cheap geothermal energy there.  For cooling, they just have to open the roof and let all that cold air in...

I believe the same folks want to start a solar-powered plant (as you suggested) in Texas, see the second link below (both from Dec 2013):

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-iceland-pool-2013-12

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/into-the-bitcoin-mines/
LOL this cracks me up for cooling they leave the roof open

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:50:09 PM

guys please put facts into place.

no one can make gold. what this story about is detoxifying / cleaning the currently known dirty gold.

in other words, no big deal as the current 170k tonnes of gold will NOT become millions of tonnes in a few decades. it will stay around the same couple hundred thousand tonne amount, just that more % of that amount is now useful, rather than toxic.

It's possible to make gold. It's just not worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_transmutation#History
bitcatch

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:38:32 PM

This doesn't affect gold market or gold supply. These bacteria just convert gold from one form to another. To actually CREATE gold at least a nuclear reactor is needed. I never heard of bacteria capable of carrying out nuclear reactions.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:09:09 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2014, 09:32:56 PM by odolvlobo

Summary of this thread so far:

"The bacteria is extracting gold, and not creating it." -- repeat this 30 times.

Summary of the next 30 posts:

"The bacteria is extracting gold, and not creating it." -- repeat this 30 more times.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
skooter

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:12:36 PM

I thought that they were able to produce gold for 10+ years already, just that the price to produce is significantly more expensive than mining it.

Making gold is of trivial difficulty.

We have particle accelerators that have made much more difficult elements then gold.

The problem is it'll probably cost you 10K in electricity alone to make 1 atom of gold.

and the odds are it will be radioactive.

You can make stable gold isotopes as well.

Again -- it's just extremely expensive to do so.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:15:59 PM

Someone is clearly desperate to keep the gold price down...
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 09:31:05 PM

LOL!  Cheesy

I need only a battery to turn gold chloride into gold, there are galvanisation kits for children...

LENR synthetic gold is a thread (see my thread in speculation) but not this

Truth is the new hatespeech.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 10:12:00 PM

LOL!  Cheesy

I need only a battery to turn gold chloride into gold, there are galvanisation kits for children...

in some countries kinder eggs (chocolate egg with a toy inside) are banned. So are you telling me while banning chocolate eggs for safety concerns, they are also allowing kids to play with car batteries and toxic waste?

(i mean this as a sarcastic joke, no rebuttle is required)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DynamicDK

Activity: 160

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:21:01 PM

It means next to nothing and even the scientist admits that.

As for what a man made precious metal or stone would do to a real market, I suppose diamonds are extremely cheap now since they can be man made, right LOL
There is a big difference between lab diamonds and 'real' diamonds. Lab diamonds are so cheap because they are ugly peaces of matter. You can make jewelleries of them.

I think the lab gold will be aswell, cheap and only for industry because it isn't the real stuff.

So much is wrong with this...

First, to address the lab made diamonds.  What you are saying was true at one time, but not today.  Early lab made diamonds were only used for industrial processes, as they were flawed and dull.  However, now it is possible to produce lab made diamonds that are absolutely flawless.  In fact, high end lab made diamonds tend to be higher quality than high end natural diamonds.  The only limit is size at the moment.  Lab made diamonds over a couple of karats are very difficult to produce, and thus cost too much to be worth it.  Still, smaller ones (still big in jewelry terms) are cheaper to buy than naturally occurring diamonds.  http://gemesis.com/

Second, you obviously do not understand what gold is in relation to a diamond. 

A diamond, along with graphite, fullerenes (nanotubes, buckyballs, nanobuds), lonsdaleite (hexagonal diamond...not the same as normal diamond...it can actually be almost 50% harder than traditional diamond), coal, and many other materials, are all allotropes of Carbon.  Carbon is an element.

Gold is also an element.  Creating a gold is not the same as creating a diamond.  It would be similar to creating carbon (though, creating gold would be much more difficult, and require much more energy).  We do not have the technology to create any element in large quantities (outside of what can be produced from nuclear fission), nor can any organism.

As far as we can tell, from physics, basically all of the gold in the universe was created by supermassive stars when they hit the last moment of their life, collapse inward on themselves, and explode in a supernova (or hypernova in some cases).  That is why gold, and most heavy elements, tend to be much more rare than lighter ones.  The creation of iron starts the chain reaction that leads to supernova, and thus iron, and anything heavier than it, is only produced for a moment.  Then the supernova shoots all of it out in every direction, dispersing it through the universe.

So, no, we don't produce gold in a lab, BUT IF WE DID, it would not be "low quality" gold.  It would just be gold.  Gold is gold is gold.  It is an element.  Of course, there are many radioactive isotopes of gold, but the most stable has a half life of something like half a year, so it quickly converts back to it's stable form.

http://coinbrief.net/
Digital Currency news, mining calculators, forums, and more
BTC:  1Bz95D1Jm4qmm2fTWtK3fF35FnfX4NKiyt
MoonWhale

Activity: 218

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:22:22 PM

No need to worry... scientists also found bacteria which can mine bitcoins.
DynamicDK

Activity: 160

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:33:20 PM

Oh yeah, I got distracted by the horrible butchering of physical, and chemical, laws here, so I didn't even post what I wanted to.  Gold is not going to be devalued by being created, because we are not going to produce gold in significant quantities at any point in the foreseeable future.

However, gold will likely be devalued by a huge influx of supply anyway.  This supply will come from asteroids.  Google, James Cameron, and many other billionaires\100+ millionaires, have been investing in companies that are developing the technology, and making plans, to capture, and mine, asteroids.

For example, 241 Germania is an asteroid that contains enough resources (in the form of various metals, minerals, water, etc.) that it could be worth $50-100 TRILLION if fully mined.  But, that is a very large asteroid, and very far away, so probably not one anyone will mess with anytime soon.  Instead, they would likely go for small asteroids that are very near us.  Many of those have $50-100 Billion worth of platinum and gold.

http://coinbrief.net/
Digital Currency news, mining calculators, forums, and more
BTC:  1Bz95D1Jm4qmm2fTWtK3fF35FnfX4NKiyt
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:47:10 PM

LOL!  Cheesy

in some countries kinder eggs (chocolate egg with a toy inside) are banned. So are you telling me while banning chocolate eggs for safety concerns, they are also allowing kids to play with car batteries and toxic waste?

(i mean this as a sarcastic joke, no rebuttle is required)

It depends on the country. In the US kids can have guns, in Germany no one can, so US kids are more mature than German adults.

The German kids are allowed to play with chemicals, as long as those are not dangerous to politicians. Here you go.

http://www.amazon.de/Dieters-Holzspielzeug-Experimente-Galvanisieren-Verkupfern/dp/B0045QTYAW

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: