Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:00:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBid - Bitcoin Auction House  (Read 3438 times)
tiberiandusk (OP)

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 12:22:37 PM

I'm getting very close to being finished with my new website BitBid. It is an auction website like eBay but everything is priced in BTC. Anyone can sign up to bid but you need a BitBid premium account to post auctions. A one time registration fee grants you unlimited auctions for life with no posting or closing fees. The current price of a premium account is somewhere between 24 and 25 BTC. Upon registration a random value between the two will be chosen for you to pay. The decimal amount you pay is used as an identifier to ensure your payment is credited to the correct account. This makes it easy for me to verify who has paid and when. Check it out at http://www.bitbid.net

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 02:28:12 PM

I'm getting very close to being finished with my new website BitBid. It is an auction website like eBay but everything is priced in BTC. Anyone can sign up to bid but you need a BitBid premium account to post auctions. A one time registration fee grants you unlimited auctions for life with no posting or closing fees. The current price of a premium account is somewhere between 24 and 25 BTC. Upon registration a random value between the two will be chosen for you to pay. The decimal amount you pay is used as an identifier to ensure your payment is credited to the correct account. This makes it easy for me to verify who has paid and when. Check it out at http://www.bitbid.net

The price for registration seems very high.  Also having a large one time fee and no further support for your business from a given customer is a pretty bad business model (if your goal is to stay operating) but is a GREAT business model if your goal is to take the money and run. 

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 03:08:15 PM

I like the countdown to launch, nice touch.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 07:00:16 PM

I intend BitBid to stay around. I picked that price to be high enough to discourage people from signing up just to spam stuff. I figure if people are serious about selling things the 25btc price at the start will be small change compared to what they would pay eBay in posting and closing fees over a year. This one time fee is for the life of the site. You can post as many auctions as you want until the site goes bankrupt or bitcoin gets shut down. I am considering a launch discount for forum members as thanks for all their support of bitcoin. Everything is still fluid and could change depending on suggestions and opinions. I want BitBid to be a site people respect and use for years to come.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 08:52:33 PM

I intend BitBid to stay around. I picked that price to be high enough to discourage people from signing up just to spam stuff. I figure if people are serious about selling things the 25btc price at the start will be small change compared to what they would pay eBay in posting and closing fees over a year. This one time fee is for the life of the site. You can post as many auctions as you want until the site goes bankrupt or bitcoin gets shut down. I am considering a launch discount for forum members as thanks for all their support of bitcoin. Everything is still fluid and could change depending on suggestions and opinions. I want BitBid to be a site people respect and use for years to come.

But setting a pricing structure like that, you guarantee the site will have very few sellers.  Why would I go to your site (with currently zero visitors) and place an auction up when I can go to ebay and post for free and have millions of people see it. 

Or better yet, I can go to Biddingpond.com (as far as I know they are the 'first mover' in the bitcoin auction space) and list for free, and have more people see the item then on your site where I have to drop 25btc?

semyazza

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 10:26:32 PM

Welcome to the economy. We wish you luck.
Clarithium

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 10:44:33 PM

Say I have an online steam key that I setup on your site that I want to start at 15 BTC and it only gets up to 20 BTC..  Why pay 25 for signup when there are potential losses? Your signup fee is a little extreme and instead will shy away potential customers.

5-10 BTC is a little more appropriate...

I make websites for bitcoins! Will help you host!Click Here
Bitcoin Mining Rigs
1CrNUxx8E9ds1jQ1dexp9FFjhcuUqupdmN
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 10:59:23 PM

Say I have an online steam key that I setup on your site that I want to start at 15 BTC and it only gets up to 20 BTC..  Why pay 25 for signup when there are potential losses? Your signup fee is a little extreme and instead will shy away potential customers.

5-10 BTC is a little more appropriate...

His fee is one time. So you may only get 20 BTC for your key, but then you only have a 5 BTC loss to make up from there. Right now, I'm using BiddingPond. Until I have a reason to switch, I don't think I will.

There are a few things to motivate people to switch. If there were a lot more users there, of course one would be willing to switch. In order to facilitate that, you could have a promo, free for the first 200 users or something. Or the first 200 unique users to post an auction get their sign up fee refunded (maybe even just as an auction credit).

Or you could have different types of accounts, one which charges to list or takes a portion of the winnings, and then one with a signup fee. But in any case, I think you should have a promo to get people using it, because at this point nobody has incentive to switch from anything else.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 11:09:22 PM

His fee is one time. So you may only get 20 BTC for your key, but then you only have a 5 BTC loss to make up from there. Right now, I'm using BiddingPond. Until I have a reason to switch, I don't think I will.

That actually is a problem as well, not just the amount of the fee, but it also nearly guarantees his long term failure, even if he is successful short term.   You need an ongoing source of income to run a business.  While it is not the definition of a ponzi scheme, it is close if you only take a (large) fee upfront.  Now new customers are paying for the operating expenses of the older ones.  Once the new customers dry up, there is no money to come in and pay the bills.  The business folds along with all of those large upfront fees. 

tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 12:30:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Got me thinking about a lot of stuff related to the business side. Right now I don't have much invested besides the time it took to build the site so I'm OK with a small periodic income as people sign up. Right now I am mainly getting the site up and running to help the bitcoin economy. Choice and competition are good so this is me throwing an alternative into the pool. I am going to post a promo code here on the forums soon that will give a big discount to the first 200 bitcoin forum members that sign up using it. I'm kind of seeing this site as an app that you buy (with your registration fee) and then can use how ever much you like. You will have complete control over how long the auction lasts and can repost it as many times as you want till it sells. I have BitBid tied in with Twitter and Facebook so all auctions will be promoted there automatically when you post something for sale. That way you have an easy way of sharing things you are selling with people in your social network by simply "Liking" or retweeting your auctions. I've designed the site to be clean and simple so even bitcoin noobs can easily post their stuff for sale and invoice buyers. Thanks again for the critiques and keep them coming. I want BitBid to do well and you guys are currently the only bitcoin focus group there is. :-P

graingert

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 01:13:16 AM

Why don't you make a new address for each account? don't re-invent the wheel with this random payment scheme

*Image Removed*
tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 01:39:31 AM

Why don't you make a new address for each account? don't re-invent the wheel with this random payment scheme

I'm going to do this now. For some reason I was thinking there was a limited number of addresses I could use.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 04:03:23 AM

I'm going to do this now. For some reason I was thinking there was a limited number of addresses I could use.

Well they are limited, there is what, only about a few Trillion of them? So don't go using them all up too soon.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 04:21:41 AM

Well they are limited, there is what, only about a few Trillion of them? So don't go using them all up too soon.

Haha, I'll try not to. For some reason I was thinking you could only generate 100 addresses but I can't even remember where I read that. Maybe I dreamed it. Anyways, new addresses it is!

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 04:34:23 AM

BiddingPond is terribly buggy and ugly, so if this has clean, original code, I might post auctions there instead.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 04:59:39 AM

BiddingPond is terribly buggy and ugly, so if this has clean, original code, I might post auctions there instead.

Here is a screen of the main auction page. I only have one test auction up right now but you can get an idea of how the layout works.
http://iansouter.com/farkstuff/bitbid_beta_screen.jpg

asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 10:24:57 AM

Haha, I'll try not to. For some reason I was thinking you could only generate 100 addresses but I can't even remember where I read that. Maybe I dreamed it. Anyways, new addresses it is!

Actually, there are 2^160 possible addresses. Generate all flippin' day!

There are 100 pre-generated addresses in the keypool by default. This is probably what you were reading about.

Good luck with your business. It's great to see the economy growing :-)
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 11:20:31 AM

Well, it looks a hell lot better than biddingpond and that's great.
But I think the fee is a bit too high for it to feel truly attractive.

Anyway good luck and welcome!

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 12:21:22 PM

If you like the buffet model you can probably make it work eventually, but you've got to realize that in the beginning people are doing you a favor by posting their stuff on your site. Later once those early auctions (which end up selling low because you don't have much traffic yet) are drawing buying eyeballs then you have something sellers will be willing to pay for, captured eyeballs.

You are on the right track with the discounted registrations, but you are still trying to get people to pay to whitewash your fence. Heh, maybe a bad analogy since that worked well for Tom.

If it's really about spam one thing would be a small deposit, like 2BTC. Say "Deposit is forfeit if you post really crappy stuff", but nicer.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
tiberiandusk (OP)

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2011, 08:00:49 AM

After thinking it over I think I'm going to go for a small yearly subscription fee instead of the big flat fee up front. Unfortunately I am going to have to postpone the launch of the site as my aunt died from cancer earlier today :-( and I have to go to St. Louis for her funeral and won't have regular access to a computer or the internet. I was going to launch on 4/20 but now I think I'll move it back to next Monday.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: