Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:26:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should 100 satoshis be called?  Pick your TWO favorite names.
bitcoin - 25 (10%)
zib - 17 (6.8%)
bits - 98 (39.4%)
ubit - 47 (18.9%)
mike - 24 (9.6%)
centoshi - 38 (15.3%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What should 100 satoshis be called? (make sure to vote for TWO choices)  (Read 3493 times)
klabaki

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:00:58 AM

Most people who support unpopular choices will recognize that and start considering the more popular choices.

Undecided

You must be new around here.

Exactly!

Arguments between Bitcoiners tend to be very exhausting. Cheesy

Ƶ = µBTC

Wer den Satoshi nicht ehrt, der ist den Ƶibcoin nicht wert.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:01:59 AM

Yakuza
hello_good_sir (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:48:23 AM

"centoshi" has been added, in accordance with popular demand.  You can change your votes on this poll.  Please make sure to vote for two.

sj2199

Activity: 797
Merit: 500

BBOD fast, non-custodial & transparent Exchange

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:28:36 AM

bits would be best name for 100 satoshi

harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:11:03 AM

Thank god the majority of votes are NOT for 'bit'.  Roll Eyes
gojomo

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:27:04 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 07:35:06 AM by gojomo

Most of these could be used at the same time: real currencies have multiple names, as do essential concepts. (The reference denomination of the world's first global digital decentralized currency certainly counts as something that could have multiple names, varying by community-of-interest, region, or language.)

Only the terms with 'bit' in them clash strongly with each other: because the 'u' in 'ubits' comes from µ/mu/micro/millionth, having both 'ubits' and 'bits' in common use presents a contradiction. (The 'bit' part means two different things, so the relationship "bit = ubit makes the 'u' a nonsense noop.)

So I'd suggest fans of 'uBits' remain open to the idea of 'ub', pronounced 'yubee' or 'yubees', instead. It's a variant that can coexist with other people using 'bit', offers a shorter abbreviation, and retains the implied derivation from µBTC.

That is, all of the following terms could circulate simultaneously as synonyms for 'microbitcoin' (which to be pedantic is also a 'hectosatoshi'), without logical contradiction:

• zib
  • bit
  • ub
  • mic
  • centoshi

(The relationship "microbitcoin = zib = bit = ub = mic = centoshi" is plausibly logical.)

Different software, websites, and communities would tend towards different terms – we'd see from real-life usage which are most natural and 'sticky' – and they'd each just document, "all these words – zib, bit, ub, mic, centoshi – are synonyms for 'microbitcoin', 100 satoshi, 1 millionth of the classic 'bitcoin'".

For example, any of the following could be mutually-intelligible:

"Mr. K, your large frappucino will be...

...10,000 zib
   ...10,000 bits
   ...10,000 ub
   ...10,000 mics
   ...10,000 centoshi"

hello_good_sir (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

Thank god the majority of votes are NOT for 'bit'.  Roll Eyes

Yes, it is true that "bit" is not the first or even second choice of a majority of people.

However none of the others have a majority yet, so it is clear that we are a long way from a consensus.  51% isn't enough; we need more like 85%.  Otherwise people will ignore the newly named unit and just keep working with bitcoins.

That's actually one strength of switching the definition of the word "bitcoin".  Unlike the other options, it only takes a majority to force the switch.

ruthless09

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:39:30 AM

BITS seems like a very roll-off-the-tongue kinda name. Very intuitive.
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:07:39 AM

Thank god the majority of votes are NOT for 'bit'.  Roll Eyes

Yes, it is true that "bit" is not the first or even second choice of a majority of people.

However none of the others have a majority yet, so it is clear that we are a long way from a consensus.  51% isn't enough; we need more like 85%.

Actually, we don't need to have a consensus.
Remember the discussion three years ago, whether it should be XBT or BTC?

There was a lot of discussion at that time; however, as it turns out, it's no problem at all to have two symbols in actual use.
Different people would just call it different things. As long as everyone knows that these words are synonymous, there won't be a problem.

What really becomes a problem is if different people have a different conception of the same word (i.e. redefining "bitcoin"). Then there will be mistakes.

After all, we actually have a consensus for switching to µBTC, there's just no consensus to rename that unit.

Ƶ = µBTC

Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:19:58 AM

we have to be sensitive to public "layperson" perceptions here. Metric prefixes seem too techy/confusing to most people
Rather to most Americans, that get used to inches, pounds and miles. "Layperson" from "metric" countries get used to kilograms, kilometers and millimeters, so it would be easy for them.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:32:38 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2014, 05:56:31 AM by franky1

we have to be sensitive to public "layperson" perceptions here. Metric prefixes seem too techy/confusing to most people
Rather to most Americans, that get used to inches, pounds and miles. "Layperson" from "metric" countries get used to kilograms, kilometers and millimeters, so it would be easy for them.

in both cases mentioned above those measurements are both bottom-up measurements. (starting at 1 and going up in increments)

the ubtc mbtc argument (top down going from 1 to 0.1 0.01 etc) is 'hopefully' now dead. and we agree that bottom up is best, starting from 100 satoshi's as the base/popular measurement

However none of the others have a majority yet, so it is clear that we are a long way from a consensus.  51% isn't enough; we need more like 85%.  Otherwise people will ignore the newly named unit and just keep working with bitcoins.

That's actually one strength of switching the definition of the word "bitcoin".  Unlike the other options, it only takes a majority to force the switch.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=592691.220

Bitcoin best as the common unit. 0.001234 is ok    - 55 (10.5%)
milliBitcoins (thousandths) are best    - 55 (10.5%)
Bits (millionths) are best    - 414 (79%)

'bit' was at 79% at this posts timestamp.. with a total of 524 votes.

i think thats called a majority, even this topic is showing bits as being a majority

and as for klabaki's trademark 'zib', a few have already worked out that its not so 'unrecognised' and 'unused' as he first thought

As currency
Ƶ was sometimes used instead of Z to represent the zaire, a former currency of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Ƶ is used as a currency symbol in the video game EVE Online to represent the in-game currency Interstellar Kredits (ISK).
Also, the popular British TV show Doctor Who uses ƶ as the symbol for the unit of money, Galactic Credits

whats next a startrek fan trying to push gpl (gold pressed latinum).
bits is the front runner so far,
zib is just a corporate leasing of a brand name just waiting to happen
so lets think smart of better suggestions, or stick with bits

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:41:42 AM

Sorry I'm such a stickler, but I really think the proper name should be either "100 satoshis" or 1 microbtc or μbtc (or, less elegantly ubtc---still I get it that u can be an 'ascii' μ in some sense).  The metric prefixes are too universal and too applicable to ignore:

1000000bitcoins    = 1Mbtc
1000bitcoins         = 1Kbtc
1bitcoin               = 1btc
0.001bitcoins        = 1mbtc
0.000001bitcoins   = 1μbtc

You could do the same thing for satoshis, you could call 100 satoshi's 1 hectosatoshi.  I'd know exactly what you mean!

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:59:25 AM

Sorry I'm such a stickler, but I really think the proper name should be either "100 satoshis" or 1 microbtc or μbtc (or, less elegantly ubtc---still I get it that u can be an 'ascii' μ in some sense).  The metric prefixes are too universal and too applicable to ignore:

1000000bitcoins    = 1Mbtc
1000bitcoins         = 1Kbtc
1bitcoin               = 1btc
0.001bitcoins        = 1mbtc
0.000001bitcoins   = 1μbtc

You could do the same thing for satoshis, you could call 100 satoshi's 1 hectosatoshi.  I'd know exactly what you mean!

going below 2 decimals is ugly for common man. but i do agree with bottom up measurements such as 'hectoshi'
where a comparison would be with gold

tonne =bitcoin
ounce = hectoshi / bit / whatever consensus chooses
gram = satoshi

where theres not much multiple decimals but many opportunities for the 'significant figures' to multiply

.. although i am laughing at the poll having centoshi as a option, as thats just wrong

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:05:13 AM

I prefer "100 satoshis" (no change), but there is no such option...

This is my view as well.  We should just dispense with all the m, u, and whatevers and just go with satoshi.  I already think in those terms anyway when dealing with small amounts of bitcoin.  I think these things just confuse people, especially those new to bitcoin.
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:36:05 AM

If we want to go bottom-up, then these units would be the most logical choice:

1 atomic unit  = 1 satoshi  = 1 sat
           10 atomic units = 1 decasat  = 1 dasat
          100 atomic units = 1 hectosat = 1 hsat
        1 000 atomic units = 1 kilosat  = 1 ksat
    1 000 000 atomic units = 1 megasat  = 1 Msat
1 000 000 000 atomic units = 1 gigasat  = 1 Gsat

Can we get a consensus for that?

Ƶ = µBTC

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 10:19:27 AM

[X] micros or mics

just like dollar <-> cents ("cent" just means 1/100, it isn't "centdollar")

bitcoin <-> micros (1 millionth)

There can also be intermediary "millies" (1 thousandth of a bitcoin)

I believe if they're officially called millibitcoins and microbitcoins, "millies" and "micros" will become colloquially common anyway in every-day street language.

---

oh I see there's a "mike" but I don't like the spelling

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:37:22 PM

oh I see there's a "mike" but I don't like the spelling

Same here! I think shortening "micro" to "mike" just doesn't make sense in any language... except English. Undecided
It should be "mic".

I believe if they're officially called millibitcoins and microbitcoins, "millies" and "micros" will become colloquially common anyway in every-day street language.

There need to be three things:

(A) The official word / long form: This is definitely "millibitcoin" / "microbitcoin". I haven't seen much other proposals.

(B) Informal / colloquial terms: That's what most discussion goes about. But I think it's the least important one. What sense does it make to convince complete strangers on the internet what their new slang word should be? That's just wasting time!

(C) The official abbreviation / short form: I think that this is what most discussion should go about. Yet, I've seen only very few posts about it. Sad

Currently, the Bitcoin Core reference client uses "mBTC" and "µBTC".

I think that this is actually wrong (Yes, it's a bug!), because the SI prefixes should be applied to units of measurement (which are normally lowercase or have at most one uppercase letter), and not three letter currency codes, which are all uppercase.
I mean, the units to which SI prefixes are normally applied look like this:
1 kW = 1 kilowatt
1 hPa = 1 hectopascal
1 GHz = 1 gigahertz
These units never have multiple uppercase letters, so BTC just doesn't fit in there. We need something lowercase.

This is how other lowercase units are abbreviated:
1 second = 1 sec.
1 minute = 1 min.

Following this logic, we get:
1 mbitcoin = 1 mbit.
1 µbitcoin = 1 µbit.

Therefore, my suggestion is to use "mbit." and "µbit." instead of "mBTC" and "µBTC" as the official abbreviation for "millibitcoin" and "microbitcoin".

Hopefully, "µbit" is a fair compromise for most of the colloquial terms that are floating around. Everyone could "read out of it" what they like most,
i.e. µbit somewhat suggests all of these: micro, mic, mike, ubit, bit...

Ƶ = µBTC

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 01:40:18 PM

"mike" lol  Cheesy

i prefer "roger"

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500