Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:27:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Show on OnlyOneTV.com  (Read 53394 times)
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 08:34:12 PM

I would not go for the parent, I would force the school to change its behavior.
And for the home schooled?  And what about private schools?  Who gets to "force" who?  What weapons are they allowed to use to apply this "force"?  Everyone has their own opinions about education (what is taught, how it's taught, how it's managed, etc).  State run schools create a situation where people are artificially forced to reach some consensus where there might be at times legitimate disagreement.  Sometimes people need to be allowed their space to avoid violent conflict.  If people had more choice regarding schools or could recover their tax dollars to put it toward private alternatives, it would ease some of this conflict.

I would simply like our governments to be more persuasive and less coersive.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 08:35:58 PM

So, if a child isn't being taught state approved material, how far would you be willing to go to force the parents to comply?  Would you take the children from their parents?  Would you imprison or kill them if they resisted?  That's my point.

This has happened in Canada, and was not pretty. Many students were abused. Many of the churches running the schools were recently facing the prospect of paying out bankrupting compensation.

Canadian Indian residential school system

I think a compromise would be a mandatory basic cirriculum, then let parents teach whatever they want after hours.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 08:41:42 PM

The one thing that has always frustrated and confused me about Americans is how they simply refuse to learn from others, and keep trying to figure out and fix things themselves. We have countries with thousands of years worth of trials, errors, and fixed mistakes to learn from, but America, being only 250 years old, thinks it knows better and can figure things out better on its own. We have tons of other education systems to examine, from places that are kicking our ass when it comes to math, science, and culture. Why are we so arrogant that we forcefully put on blinders and just keep throwing shit ideas at the wall to see what sticks, or trying to throw money at the problem to make it go away, instead of picking the best ideas from all parts of the world to be the best period?
nighteyes

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:29:48 PM

The one thing that has always frustrated and confused me about Americans is how they simply refuse to learn from others, and keep trying to figure out and fix things themselves. We have countries with thousands of years worth of trials, errors, and fixed mistakes to learn from, but America, being only 250 years old, thinks it knows better and can figure things out better on its own. We have tons of other education systems to examine, from places that are kicking our ass when it comes to math, science, and culture. Why are we so arrogant that we forcefully put on blinders and just keep throwing shit ideas at the wall to see what sticks, or trying to throw money at the problem to make it go away, instead of picking the best ideas from all parts of the world to be the best period?

Its all about the $$$, the free market at work. First, the 'new' ideas are not intended to work....as Piper67 knows. They are simply part of the sales pitch. If you actually do something, then your long-term business falls apart...you gotz to keep them coming back.

You give the sales pitch, and the school district buys into it. They do so because when they retire, they work for the sales company.  BTW, if other countries ideas actually help sell learning products here, they would be sold. But parents who want to feel like they are being parents(and in denial how they neglect their kids) prefer this hypnosis. They also prefer feeding to be overweight(such as pizza), looking at the sandbox(aka TV), or anything else that results in quick parenting....I understand it, dont get me wrong. Who has the time to actually act responsible for their kids? Heck, who has the time to act responsible for themselves?
bosschair

Activity: 110

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:57:25 PM

simply refuse to learn from others, and keep trying to figure out and fix things themselves
America, being only 250 years old, thinks it knows better and can figure things out better on its own
kicking our ass when it comes to math, science, and culture
so arrogant
throwing shit ideas at the wall to see what sticks
throw money at the problem to make it go away, instead of picking the best ideas from all parts of the world to be the best period?

God damn, I think you just wrote the next verse to the Star Spangled Banner.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 10:13:55 PM

God damn, I think you just wrote the next verse to the Star Spangled Banner.

Lol! Yeah, when you summarize it like that  Cheesy
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 10:15:23 PM

I think it's more important to teach kids the value of the scientific method rather than dictate a bunch of "facts" to them.

People enjoy living in a world of white and black.  Things are FACT or they are NOT FACT.  However we really never know anything 100%.  We call things fact for the convenience factor, if something is likely enough to be true that it's not remotely constructive to question it then we consider it a fact.  Nothing would get done if everything was always questioned, so we have to make some assumptions and more vigorously question things that seem less likely to be true.  The best we can do is find theories that best fit our data.  Our data comes from our tools and environment and will always be partially flawed.

One fallacy some fall into is thinking in absolute terms.  Teaching children the method will let them come closest to the truth than anything else.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:28:38 PM

LOL what is 250 years old?  America is two continents, fool.  Is china 50 years old? 
The most advanced agricultural engineers of all history lived in America thousands of years ago.   The education system is really good at what it was designed for..  keeping people dumb.  you can read about the philosophy of the people that set it up they are pretty explicit.  Sadly that kind of populace isn't as productive as it was when it was set up.   
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 12:02:28 AM

LOL what is 250 years old?  America is two continents, fool.  Is china 50 years old? 
The most advanced agricultural engineers of all history lived in America thousands of years ago.   The education system is really good at what it was designed for..  keeping people dumb.  you can read about the philosophy of the people that set it up they are pretty explicit.  Sadly that kind of populace isn't as productive as it was when it was set up.   

Um... wait, what? I don't even... Huh
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 12:24:44 AM

Um... wait, what? I don't even... Huh

North America
South America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incan_agriculture

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
bosschair

Activity: 110

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 12:38:36 AM

North America
South America

You probably didn't know that there's a country which is commonly referred to as simply "America," even though that's not its official name.  Now you do.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 12:56:02 AM

Actually, no. You should not be free to teach your kids whatever you wish, because your child's education isn't about you, it's about your child.
So, I guess you get to decide what is taught to children then?  I suppose you are fully prepared to take people's children away and kill their parents to impose your world view as well?  Sorry, but I don't want to live in your murderous and totalitarian world.

PS.  I find it ironic that you seem to support state controlled education and use religious teachings as your justification for it.  It's ironic because were it not for the lobbying of religious institutions in the mid 1800s in the US, we might not have a statist education system today.  Religious organizations lobbied heavily to impose a state run education system precisely because they could use it to force their teachings on people.

World view? If you really think whether the world is 6,000 years old is a matter of personal view, then you and I have very little to discuss... And you are an idiot.

Parents are also not free to withhold medical treatment from their children because it is their view that Jesus will swoop down from the sky and cure little Bobby's leukemia. Yet I guess you would call me totalitarian and murderous for wanting to provide health care for Bobby, in spite of his idiotic parents' wishes.

Again, it is the rights of the CHILD that I am speaking of here, a concept that seems quite alien to you.

And, even though I thought I had articulated it quite clearly in my original post, the idea is to have a standard of education that, through a process of free inquiry and openness, provides children with a minimum ability to discern fact firm baloney... A process you quite clearly seem not to have been exposed to.

Beyond that minimum standard, if the parents want to send their children to Madrassas, Sunday Schools, Hebrew camp or whatever they choose, they are clearly free to do so. When faced with proper education, however, those other "world views" tend to succumb to their own narrow-mindedness. This has been the case in places like Sweden, Norway, Finland... It is where the education system fails abysmally that the religious world views have a chance at gaining a stronghold, places like Pakistan and the US.
schalk

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:54:35 AM

I don't agree with schools teaching evolution as fact, when it is only theory. The evolution theory is based on assumptions which can't be proven.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:01:47 AM

I don't agree with schools teaching evolution as fact, when it is only theory. The evolution theory is based on assumptions which can't be proven.

What do you propose?  Roll Eyes

(BFL)^2 < 0
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 02:12:02 AM

I propose Un-Intelligent Design. It's got graphs so it must be true!

Still around.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:17:59 AM

I propose Un-Intelligent Design. It's got graphs so it must be true!

hahahahahahaha
Awesome.

(BFL)^2 < 0
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:48:38 AM

"There's nothing better."

Yup, that'll teach em. Evolution must be true.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:02:23 AM

Roll Eyes

'Theory', 'hypothesis'  are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena. e.g. the theory of evolution.  A hypothesis  is a conjecture put forth as a possible explanation of phenomena or relations, which serves as a basis of argument or experimentation to reach the truth. e.g. "This idea is only a hypothesis".

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:07:08 AM

Let's all stop using and developing more technology because much of it relies on quantum theory and that's not proven.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 04:25:00 AM

Roll Eyes

'Theory', 'hypothesis'  are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena. e.g. the theory of evolution.  A hypothesis  is a conjecture put forth as a possible explanation of phenomena or relations, which serves as a basis of argument or experimentation to reach the truth. e.g. "This idea is only a hypothesis".  

I always remind those who claim that evolution is "only a theory" that gravity is, too.

Still around.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: