Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:42:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoin Giveaway  (Read 2276 times)
Tuxavant (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 04:04:30 AM

In November, I decided to give family members $20 in Bitcoins as an early Christmas present. All during the month of December, I gave away about $60, $2 increments daily, in Bitcoins to friends and family following me on FB and G+.

Today, I sent out this email to almost everyone who's recently received Bitcoins from me. I'm sharing this with you in hopes it will inspire you to do the same.

I hope you guys have seen the awesomeness that is Bitcoin. Some of you have seen your Bitcoin stash value from $20 just a few months ago to about $60 today (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/). I hope you've taken a few minutes to read up about it, play around with your digital money and understand how it works.

What I'd like you to do now is take some of your profits and share with a friend or co-worker. The next time you're out having fun, ask them to cover for you and ask if they would like to hold some Bitcoins for you until you can pay them back. Ask them to load up the software (or instawallet) on their phone - it just takes a minute - and send them their first Bitcoins to hang on to. You'll have something interesting to talk about in line and for a long time after. Here's some great talking points to share: http://bitcoinmedia.com/bulleted-advantages/

Additionally, I'd like you explore the possibilities of replacing those Bitcoins with more Bitcoins by purchasing a few from an exchange like tradehill.com or mtgox.com (there is actually about a dozen to choose from). Hoarding such an increasingly valuable commodity is understandable, but without circulation and growing the number of people who understand and use it, the interest and momentum already behind Bitcoin may take longer to reach its full potential.

If you didn't know, <my kid> has been receiving all of their allowance in Bitcoin for awhile now. They keep some off-line for maximum protection and savings, and then some discretionary spending on their computer and phone. When they want something from the store, I'll buy it and they pays me right there with Bitcoins from their phone. They're almost as much of a nut about Bitcoin as I am and hates giving them up... But we really need to spread the ideas and benefits to as many people as possible - and it only seems to work through friends because of trust and established relationships.

Since there is no central owner of Bitcoin, it takes all interested participants to spread the word. There are no dedicated marketing departments to help us - it's just you and me, and hopefully a few of your friends. I've talked with hundreds of people about Bitcoin, but haven't come close to the level of progress I've made with you because you have known me for a long time and trust me. I am hoping that you can have the same success with your circle of friends and we can make Bitcoin the next big thing and help put an end to all the financial nonsense related to centralized banking.

If you need any encouragement or information to get you motivated, please ask. I will absolutely love to talk to you about this subject. Let's take Bitcoin to the next level!

Tuxavant
P.S. If you don't "get it" and you're not interested in holding or using your Bitcoins. I'd like to buy them back with cash at the current market value (http://preev.com is a good conversion site). Just let me know and we'll work out the details privately.

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 04:44:15 AM

my kid is too young to have an allowance, but a bitcoin allowance sounds cool, maybe in a few years...

i wanted to give bitcoins at Xmas, but my GF wouldn't allow it, she said i had to buy "real gifts".

ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 04:45:17 AM

i wanted to give bitcoins at Xmas, but my GF wouldn't allow it, she said i had to buy "real gifts".

real's gonna change Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
Tuxavant (OP)

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 04:53:33 AM

real's gonna change Grin

LOL +1

geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 04:58:48 AM

I bought physical Bitcoins from Memory Dealers in early December to give as gifts to co-workers.  I paid via credit card.  Because of the CC fees, shipping, etc (all of which is fair for MD) they cost about $6.10 each.  Bitcoin at the time was about $3 (my memory may well be wrong).

But it was awfully cool to pass out those coins and say "Bitcoin was $3 when I bought this, but now it's $6".

I see that many of those co-workers still have that coin on their desk.  But we're a software shop, they know what cryptography is, what peer to peer means, and we use LOTS of open source, so I hope that at least 1 or 2 of them will "see the light".

As far as MY workplace goes, if we could get some Magic The Gathering tie in, we'd get them all!

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:24:08 AM

I bought physical Bitcoins from Memory Dealers in early December to give as gifts to co-workers.  I paid via credit card.  Because of the CC fees, shipping, etc (all of which is fair for MD) they cost about $6.10 each.  Bitcoin at the time was about $3 (my memory may well be wrong).

But it was awfully cool to pass out those coins and say "Bitcoin was $3 when I bought this, but now it's $6".

I see that many of those co-workers still have that coin on their desk.  But we're a software shop, they know what cryptography is, what peer to peer means, and we use LOTS of open source, so I hope that at least 1 or 2 of them will "see the light".

As far as MY workplace goes, if we could get some Magic The Gathering tie in, we'd get them all!

Bitcoin Magic cards?

1/500...Interrupt.   Trample, Flying.

Edit:  Tapping Bitcoin causes Bitcoin to deflate.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:35:15 AM

oh nice!  Glad to see people doing this.

(BFL)^2 < 0
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 06:44:23 AM

oh nice!  Glad to see people doing this.

I usually paired them with "real" gifts, but gave plenty of Casascius coins as presents this past Christmas. I also gave my niece and nephews "savings accounts" via individual wallets burned to CD, and address payment cards for easy depositing. My niece in particular was thrilled with it; I'll show her how to spend the funds when she turns 18 (although it'll be pretty cool if she figures it out on her own sooner.)

Now I'm eyeing Bit-Pay's new Deposit Card to give to a few close friends, possibly a couple of businesses. Hmmm... in particular, I think I'll get one for a friend who frequently has several folks over for Pay-per-View events. There's usually a scramble for cash and difficulty making change at the end of them. Methinks I'll skip it all and just make a direct deposit to his account (adding enough to take care of the fee, of course.)

Can't wait to see how everyone reacts to me skipping the end-of-show melee with a simple smartphone scan. Smiley

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 09:41:21 AM

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/678_Magic_the_Gathering_Cards_Shipped_Anywhere/
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 10:10:54 AM

my kid is too young to have an allowance, but a bitcoin allowance sounds cool, maybe in a few years...

"I have the coolest daddy. He gives me silk road coins every week!"
Wink

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 10:12:05 AM

Allowance in bitcoin… that's pretty cool! The only thing he can buy without asking you is drugs though. (j/k)

I usually paired them with "real" gifts, but gave plenty of Casascius coins as presents this past Christmas. I also gave my niece and nephews "savings accounts" via individual wallets burned to CD, and address payment cards for easy depositing. My niece in particular was thrilled with it; I'll show her how to spend the funds when she turns 18 (although it'll be pretty cool if she figures it out on her own sooner.)
Careful with that, even CDs get destroyed if you keep them in the sun, or if they get scratched. Should be fine if you have a secure backup I guess.

Fake edit: Or in the microwave.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 01:18:48 PM

Allowance in bitcoin… that's pretty cool! The only thing he can buy without asking you is drugs though. (j/k)

Careful with that, even CDs get destroyed if you keep them in the sun, or if they get scratched. Should be fine if you have a secure backup I guess.

lol, fake question: who cooks CDs in mircowaves  Huh
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 01:29:30 PM

lol, fake question: who cooks CDs in mircowaves  Huh

it is pretty fun....the sparkles are pretty  Cheesy
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:05:55 PM

Very pretty.  Just make sure that you stop it after a second or two.  If the polycarbonate burns, you'll need a new microwave, and possibly a new kitchen.

Use M*Disc for long term storage of bitcoin wallets.  Of course, I haven't tested one in a microwave yet.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 03:44:23 PM

Very pretty.  Just make sure that you stop it after a second or two.  If the polycarbonate burns, you'll need a new microwave, and possibly a new kitchen.

Use M*Disc for long term storage of bitcoin wallets.  Of course, I haven't tested one in a microwave yet.

There are two protected copies of each CD. I'll look into M*Disc though.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 03:59:52 PM

There are two protected copies of each CD. I'll look into M*Disc though.

For those that have never heard of it before, M*disc is a recordable media (currently DVD only) that uses a ceramic layer rather than an organic dye and metal foil.  Ordinary recordable media has a very short lifetime because the dye denatures and the metal foil oxidizes.  M*disc drives use a higher powered layer to burn holes into the ceramic layer, so they should be good for a long time.  Estimates are currently up into the 1000 year range.  I figure mine should be good for 50 years or so.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:37:10 PM

For those that have never heard of it before, M*disc is a recordable media (currently DVD only) that uses a ceramic layer rather than an organic dye and metal foil.  Ordinary recordable media has a very short lifetime because the dye denatures and the metal foil oxidizes.  M*disc drives use a higher powered layer to burn holes into the ceramic layer, so they should be good for a long time.  Estimates are currently up into the 1000 year range.  I figure mine should be good for 50 years or so.

that's good to know, thanks for the tip
i guess these m*disks cost few times more than regular ones
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 05:53:26 PM

that's good to know, thanks for the tip
i guess these m*disks cost few times more than regular ones

Bitcoin: Designed to Endure

In November, I decided to give family members $20 in Bitcoins as an early Christmas present. All during the month of December, I gave away about $60, $2 increments daily, in Bitcoins to friends and family following me on FB and G+.

Today, I sent out this email to almost everyone who's recently received Bitcoins from me. I'm sharing this with you in hopes it will inspire you to do the same.

I hope you guys have seen the awesomeness that is Bitcoin. Some of you have seen your Bitcoin stash value from $20 just a few months ago to about $60 today (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/). I hope you've taken a few minutes to read up about it, play around with your digital money and understand how it works.

What I'd like you to do now is take some of your profits and share with a friend or co-worker. The next time you're out having fun, ask them to cover for you and ask if they would like to hold some Bitcoins for you until you can pay them back. Ask them to load up the software (or instawallet) on their phone - it just takes a minute - and send them their first Bitcoins to hang on to. You'll have something interesting to talk about in line and for a long time after. Here's some great talking points to share: http://bitcoinmedia.com/bulleted-advantages/

Additionally, I'd like you explore the possibilities of replacing those Bitcoins with more Bitcoins by purchasing a few from an exchange like tradehill.com or mtgox.com (there is actually about a dozen to choose from). Hoarding such an increasingly valuable commodity is understandable, but without circulation and growing the number of people who understand and use it, the interest and momentum already behind Bitcoin may take longer to reach its full potential.

If you didn't know, <my kid> has been receiving all of their allowance in Bitcoin for awhile now. They keep some off-line for maximum protection and savings, and then some discretionary spending on their computer and phone. When they want something from the store, I'll buy it and they pays me right there with Bitcoins from their phone. They're almost as much of a nut about Bitcoin as I am and hates giving them up... But we really need to spread the ideas and benefits to as many people as possible - and it only seems to work through friends because of trust and established relationships.

Since there is no central owner of Bitcoin, it takes all interested participants to spread the word. There are no dedicated marketing departments to help us - it's just you and me, and hopefully a few of your friends. I've talked with hundreds of people about Bitcoin, but haven't come close to the level of progress I've made with you because you have known me for a long time and trust me. I am hoping that you can have the same success with your circle of friends and we can make Bitcoin the next big thing and help put an end to all the financial nonsense related to centralized banking.

If you need any encouragement or information to get you motivated, please ask. I will absolutely love to talk to you about this subject. Let's take Bitcoin to the next level!

Tuxavant
P.S. If you don't "get it" and you're not interested in holding or using your Bitcoins. I'd like to buy them back with cash at the current market value (http://preev.com is a good conversion site). Just let me know and we'll work out the details privately.

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spreading (see sig)

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/678_Magic_the_Gathering_Cards_Shipped_Anywhere/

This one has me stumped. MtGox, having once been in the game trading card business, albeit indirectly, they haven't spring board Bitcoin into a trading card type game. I'm not at all versed on how those types of games are played, but I guess it wouldn't take me too long to figure it out and design a game around Bitcoin. A game where the kids play, but then the adults come along and purchase cards to resell for a profit, like they did with Pokemon.

~Bruno~
stabaho

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 08:35:06 PM

Maybe start sending to your kid as a savings account then?
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 10:35:51 PM

Hey if you want you can give me a bitcoin or at least a microbit Grin
Just in case somebode is reading this i am a newguy in the cryptovers and try to get my startcapital for my visions that my dreams came true Cheesy

MfG 20 year old guy

My walet if you want you can give me a little donation Cheesy

1rD6QhMSWozUWzWadz4KmtMg53DFBmSri

BTC ^O^ BTC

Biggest necro "mining" ever wow!
And begging!!
(reported /mods have to remove my post too  Kiss)

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: