Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:41:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you agree with this change?  (Voting closed: January 21, 2012, 02:56:01 AM)
Agree - 59 (45.7%)
Disagree - 40 (31%)
Bitcoinica is doomed (Neutral) - 30 (23.3%)
Total Voters: 128

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for Bitcoinica Leverage Change Proposal  (Read 4486 times)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 02:56:01 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 06:58:34 AM by zhoutong

EDIT:

The poll hasn't ended yet. But we have started a trial. Unless the poll results reverse, we will keep this change.

---

Public Proposal: Change of Leverage Options.

Due to recent volatility, a lot of traders were forced liquidated and caused a snowball effect: forced liquidation causes more forced liquidations due to excessive market movements.

Also, we want to make sure that Bitcoinica always has reserves for traders. We hope the asterisk will not appear frequently in the future.

Therefore, I propose a solution to such problems. Since this solution may negatively impact some of our customers, we want to hear the voice of the public. This is how the implementation will be decided:

If Agree > Disagree, we will implement this change. If Disagree > Agree, we will not implement this change and we will consider other options.
Neutral votes will be ignored at the moment.

If you have better ideas, please voice out and we will consider.

So what's the change?
-------------------------

If your margin balance is less than $2,000 (inc.), you can set leverage to 10:1, 5:1, 2.5:1 and 1:1.

If your margin balance is between $2,000 (exc.) and $20,000 (inc.), you can set leverage to 5:1, 2.5:1 and 1:1.

If your margin balance is greater than $20,000 (exc.), you can set leverage to 2.5:1 and 1:1.

This is to protect our customers' interest and maintain market volatility at low levels by preventing huge forced liquidations as much as possible. Also, less funds will be used up by large clients so we will have more available reserves.

Now, please vote!

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:56:54 AM

One word: sockpuppets.

(BFL)^2 < 0
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:00:02 AM

It is still possible to game this by creating multiple accounts and doing a coordinated trade.

Bitcoinica is doomed.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 03:02:17 AM

It is still possible to game this by creating multiple accounts and doing a coordinated trade.

Bitcoinica is doomed.

We allow that. At least that will split forced liquidation to multiple orders at different prices.

If someone deliberately do a coordinated trade to maintain identical base prices, then it's their choice. We just want to make losing money a bit harder and less impactful even when it happens.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:04:48 AM

Strongly disagree.

You should take voices into account according to margin ballance.
So you should rerun poll at your site.
cottoneyeJoe

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:05:40 AM

Most successful parasite species avoid sucking their host completely dry. Good call on the tiered leverage.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:06:14 AM

Bitcoinica is doomed.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:08:07 AM

This all adds up to 5 to 1 on avg for everyone..

I fail to see how this will help volatility.

Is not a delayed liquidation one way to go ? albeit hard

The liquidations happen because of the faux liquid market you are building here..

On further thought, its more like 4 to 1 levy for everyone

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:09:28 AM

gotta keep the zombies alive.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 03:11:04 AM

Strongly disagree.

You should take voices into account according to margin ballance.

I believe that people with large accounts will generally vote for "disagree" since they are the impacted ones.

However, we hope everyone can understand for each other, even at the free market. We will revise the threshold amount when our reserves are larger. (We will lift the threshold to $5,000 and $50,000 when our reserves reach $1 million, and we can hopefully reach there in 6 months.)

Currently, even 2.5:1 for a huge account is a lot of leverage! $20,000 will get you $50,000 tradable balance.

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 03:12:42 AM

gotta keep the zombies alive.

Overall loss in recent 24 hours: less than 20%.

pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 03:15:04 AM

Public Proposal: Change of Leverage Options.

Due to recent volatility, a lot of traders were forced liquidated and caused a snowball effect: forced liquidation causes more forced liquidations due to excessive market movements.

Also, we want to make sure that Bitcoinica always has reserves for traders. We hope the asterisk will not appear frequently in the future.

Therefore, I propose a solution to such problems. Since this solution may negatively impact some of our customers, we want to hear the voice of the public. This is how the implementation will be decided:

If Agree > Disagree, we will implement this change. If Disagree > Agree, we will not implement this change and we will consider other options.
Neutral votes will be ignored at the moment.

If you have better ideas, please voice out and we will consider.

So what's the change?
-------------------------

If your margin balance is less than $2,000 (inc.), you can set leverage to 5:1, 2.5:1 and 1:1.

If your margin balance is between $2,000 (exc.) and $20,000 (inc.), you can set leverage to 10:1, 5:1, 2.5:1 and 1:1.

If your margin balance is greater than $20,000 (exc.), you can set leverage to 50:1, 10:1, 5:1, 2.5:1 and 1:1.

This is to protect our customers' interest and maintain market volatility at low levels by preventing huge forced liquidations as much as possible. Also, less funds will be used up by large clients so we will have more available reserves.

Now, please vote!

I made some adjustments.  This works better.

ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:15:32 AM

I believe that people with large accounts will generally vote for "disagree" since they are the impacted ones.

So they should read your proposition as following:
"I, Zhoutong, decide to take money from your current positions
under the cover of "democracy" label"
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:19:20 AM

Currently, even 2.5:1 for a huge account is a lot of leverage! $20,000 will get you $50,000 tradable balance.

a lot..

put $20,000 into real fx on oanda.com and you'll get a million-dollar tradeable balance.

i say increase leverage, or leave it alone.

edit: i see pirate likes the idea of 50:1 also Smiley
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:21:15 AM

This all adds up to 5 to 1 on avg for everyone..

I fail to see how this will help volatility.

Is not a delayed liquidation one way to go ? albeit hard

The liquidations happen because of the faux liquid market you are building here..

On further thought, its more like 4 to 1 levy for everyone

Liquidations happen because irrational people overleverage.  There is a big warning about this when they sign up.  I was long 100 BTC during the drop, but I still had enough margin to buy 50@$5.15 before it recovered.  I'm back in the green already.

If you don't like bitcoinica, fine, but let those of us who use it communicate with Zhoutong instead of slinging insults.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cottoneyeJoe

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:22:03 AM

However, we hope everyone can understand for each other, even at the free market.

Oh! How noble of the great zoutong! "For each other" and "free market" in the same sentence. Still trying to parse.

I dunno, personally I think things like leverage and usury are not really "for each other". Also, how about leverage being based on how much capital you ACTUALLY hold in reserve? Seems like the heritage of bitcoin is not keen on fractional reserve.
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 03:24:18 AM

Exactly.  Don't change the system because people don't know what they are doing.  We all are aware of the risks and this should be a lesson to those that overextended themselves. Unless this is something Bitcoinica needs to do to be profitable, leave it alone or move up and onward.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:24:32 AM

lower max trade to 10BTC and raise leverage to 100:1. You just want gamblers not institutional traders.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:27:21 AM

However, we hope everyone can understand for each other, even at the free market.

Oh! How noble of the great zoutong! "For each other" and "free market" in the same sentence. Still trying to parse.

I dunno, personally I think things like leverage and usury are not really "for each other". Also, how about leverage being based on how much capital you ACTUALLY hold in reserve? Seems like the heritage of bitcoin is not keen on fractional reserve.

1.  There is no interest on loans... thus no usery.
2.  Allowing others people to take responsibility for as much risk as they want is very "free market".  Restricting this when it's possible is not.

I trade on leverage, I was long, I didn't get liquidated.  I've taken big losses before and I'm willing to accept losses again if I make a bad call.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:27:48 AM

lower max trade to 10BTC and raise leverage to 100:1. You just want gamblers not institutional traders.

if you don't trade on Bitcoinica please leave this discussion to those who do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: