Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:57:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I getting scammed? First time bitcoin user  (Read 1000 times)
uncutonyx (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:24:58 PM

So I was sent this transaction who seems very weird. Worth noting it's my first time receiving using btc.
I use the wallet multibit and I was sent approx 175 dollars. Theese have been showing up but I can't spend them and it sais unconfirmed.

Here is a screen shot http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=144blfb&s=8#.U2vI_vl_tVQ.

Also here is the transaction info: https://blockchain.info/tx-index/616b243a3e151963bc875d7cd2a991fc689f717c816769da7fa0c1598bac202b

Should I send him his stuffs or should I wait? Am I gonna get this cash at all or should I just leave it? It seems really fishy, like he've done something

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:45:23 PM

If it still says unconfirmed an hour after you see it, something definitely is wrong.
Confirmations supposed to happen every 10 min on average.

ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:49:21 PM

If it still says unconfirmed an hour after you see it, something definitely is wrong.

I don't believe you are getting scammed - and my reasoning is that I've had transactions like this in the past.

Give it time - I don't see anything telling me that it won't be confirmed.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:55:51 PM

It's because the sender didn't pay a fee.

I don't believe you are getting scammed - and my reasoning is that I've had transactions like this in the past.

The sender didn't pay a fee.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 07:58:44 PM

It's because the sender didn't pay a fee.

The sender didn't pay a fee.

This.  The seller didn't pay a fee.  That being said, it should confirm, just give it some time. If the "stuffs" are physical goods, wait for a confirm before mailing since it won't delay it too much. If these are electronic, I'd wait also just to be safe.

From a quick glance at the transaction though, it didn't look fishy.

In the future, you can always say: for faster shipping, pay the recommended fee, otherwise, shipping waits for confirmations.

P.s. This probably belongs in a different sub forum FYI. :-)
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 08:28:00 PM

I have had transactions stay in unconfirmed or even not show up on the blockchain at all for hours.  You should be fine but don't exchange the goods yet or release whatever you're selling.  Yeah, sending did not send a fee, which is a jerk of a thing to do IMHO.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Bitcoin Is A Great Idea

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

It is! :)

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 11:31:11 PM

Always wait for confirmation before sending anything.
Else, the transaction can be reversed - and you'll be without BTC and without whatever you were selling.

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 12:19:42 AM

Blockchain.info says it'll probably confirm within 6 blocks, so I'd wait a little while and then check it again. The transaction looks legitimate, but transactions aren't irreversible until they are included in a block and gain at least one confirmation, and the more confirmations the better. Sending without fees is fine if the coins being sent have a high enough priority, but it can cause significant delays such as this one. It should be fine if you give it enough time, though again it's impossible to say for sure until it confirms.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Bitornio

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:03:24 PM

So I was sent this transaction who seems very weird. Worth noting it's my first time receiving using btc.
I use the wallet multibit and I was sent approx 175 dollars. Theese have been showing up but I can't spend them and it sais unconfirmed.

Here is a screen shot http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=144blfb&s=8#.U2vI_vl_tVQ.

Also here is the transaction info: https://blockchain.info/tx-index/616b243a3e151963bc875d7cd2a991fc689f717c816769da7fa0c1598bac202b

Should I send him his stuffs or should I wait? Am I gonna get this cash at all or should I just leave it? It seems really fishy, like he've done something

I checked the transaction and as you can see, it's been confirmed. Next time, make sure the sender sends it with a fee if it's a priority transaction
byt411

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:17:13 PM

Blockchain.info says it'll probably confirm within 6 blocks, so I'd wait a little while and then check it again. The transaction looks legitimate, but transactions aren't irreversible until they are included in a block and gain at least one confirmation, and the more confirmations the better. Sending without fees is fine if the coins being sent have a high enough priority, but it can cause significant delays such as this one. It should be fine if you give it enough time, though again it's impossible to say for sure until it confirms.

The blockchain.info confirmation time estimator is highly inaccurate.
iamthesky

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:54:29 PM

Yeah this isnt bad like others have said he just sent without the fee ive had that happen and take up to 6 hours to get 2 confirms
Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:06:54 AM

Might have no fee attached to it and even then some transactions have taken up to and hour and half for me FEE INCLUDED!
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:45:54 AM

The transaction looks legitimate, but transactions aren't irreversible until they are included in a block and gain at least one confirmation, and the more confirmations the better.

Even at a the standard 6 confirmations they aren't irreversible. It just a function of the amount of network power an individual holds and whether its worth their time to reverse a transaction. It gets progressively harder with each block but if someone had 50% they would very easily be able to reverse a single confirmation transaction. That's why the whole notion of a decentralised mining system is so important.
byt411

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:01:08 AM

The transaction looks legitimate, but transactions aren't irreversible until they are included in a block and gain at least one confirmation, and the more confirmations the better.

Even at a the standard 6 confirmations they aren't irreversible. It just a function of the amount of network power an individual holds and whether its worth their time to reverse a transaction. It gets progressively harder with each block but if someone had 50% they would very easily be able to reverse a single confirmation transaction. That's why the whole notion of a decentralised mining system is so important.

Correct. So that's why we all fear a 51% attack, since it would potentially destroy the entire bitcoin network. Good thing that ghash.io is now only at 33%, and not 4x% like before.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:07:17 PM

It's all up to the miners when it comes down to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: