Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 10:19:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Amazon for Bitcoin Payments  (Read 11870 times)
chipmadness

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 04:53:44 AM

Maybe they'd rather developmen their own digital coin.

There is no doubt in my mind that this won't happen. Amazon loves to try and do everything, but it all sucks

CryptoThrone - http://cryptothrone.com - The Highest Rank in Crypto News! Visit us for the latest Bitcoin news, conference news, the newest and best alt-coins getting released, mining hardware news, mining theories, and everything else related to crypto-currency! Looking for a web developer? Let me design you a responsive, elegant, and modern site today!
bakada

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:02:29 AM

There is no doubt in my mind that this won't happen. Amazon loves to try and do everything, but it all sucks

I wouldn't be so surprised if they did.   Then again, eventually I also get a feeling that some countries may enable their own form of their local currencies into their own crypto.
validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:27:26 AM

I wouldn't be so surprised if they did.   Then again, eventually I also get a feeling that some countries may enable their own form of their local currencies into their own crypto.
I think this has already started happening, for example in Iceland they have auroracoin http://auroracoin.org/

But if amazon decided to make their own coin it wont so successful(marketing it would be too expensive for them) they would be better off using bitcoin.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:45:33 AM

I think this has already started happening, for example in Iceland they have auroracoin http://auroracoin.org/

But if amazon decided to make their own coin it wont so successful(marketing it would be too expensive for them) they would be better off using bitcoin.
You do realize that was a spectacular failure?
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

You do realize that was a spectacular failure?
They would have no reason to make an Amazon coin, that would be of no use to them as they would need it to have a central authority and that is contra to what the crypto currencies are about. Amazon does have a currency of it's own....it is called Amazon Gift Cards
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:27:39 PM

Amazon already has something called "Amazon Coins" in addition to gift cards. Basically they are like "credits" for Kindle Fire apps and games, etc. and by buying them, you can get those products at a discount. I haven't looked into it too much. Nothing to do with crypto, though.

Jubettarr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:39:25 PM

In the meantime, use Gyft to purchase at Amazon. If sales numbers are high enough, Amazon might take notice and decide to accept bitcoins directly, just to cut out the middlemen.

Or, if you want to just pay the item cost and not have to round up to the nearest $10, use snapCard.
Riniaiokl

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:47:57 PM

In the meantime, use Gyft to purchase at Amazon. If sales numbers are high enough, Amazon might take notice and decide to accept bitcoins directly, just to cut out the middlemen.

Or, if you want to just pay the item cost and not have to round up to the nearest $10, use snapCard.

Snapcard has a 2% surcharge. Gyft actually pays me 3% back on every purchase. There's nothing better out there.
Riniaiokl

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:02:38 PM

Snapcard has a 2% surcharge. Gyft actually pays me 3% back on every purchase. There's nothing better out there.

Depends what you're getting, and where. I'm happy to use Gyft when my purchase comes out pretty close to an integer number of giftcards and if I'm buying from a retailer they have on offer.

But if I'm just buying a cheapo item from Amazon, or if I'm wanting to buy from a site outside Gyft's umbrella, or if I just want to buy from a website without creating a new account on that site, I use snapCard.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:06:05 PM

Check out this Twitter...  "@amazon just sent me an email saying they will accept Bitcoin "

https://twitter.com/rogerkver/status/464778590161485825

It does say you can rest assured it will be taken care of.  I guess BTC at Amazon is in the works Smiley
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Amazon already has something called "Amazon Coins" in addition to gift cards. Basically they are like "credits" for Kindle Fire apps and games, etc. and by buying them, you can get those products at a discount. I haven't looked into it too much. Nothing to do with crypto, though.

Right, I think these Amazon Coins, with the name __ Coin, is what leads to people getting confused and thinking that Amazon is interested in making their own competitor to BTC.  However, as you rightly point out, this doesn't have anything to do with crypto, it's just like frequent flyer miles on an airline or something.
Riniaiokl

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:09:01 PM

Gyft is great for specific stores, if you don't mind having to buy in the exact increments of those stores' smallest giftcard values. Frequently, I don't mind that. Sometimes I do. More often, I want to shop somewhere not currently available through Gyft.
Habeler876

Activity: 624
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:13:44 PM

Gyft is great for specific stores, if you don't mind having to buy in the exact increments of those stores' smallest giftcard values. Frequently, I don't mind that. Sometimes I do. More often, I want to shop somewhere not currently available through Gyft.

I hope they expand their store availability. I would definitely use them more if I could buy gift cards at more grocery/super markets and restaurants, but where I am located, there is not so much available to me. Being able to buy Amazon gift cards is great, though.

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:22:04 AM

if you are a repeat buyer of the store you are buying gift cards from then this should not be an issue

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cryptocait

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:54:33 AM

i will definitely ask for payment in BTC
FlowerMatt

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:59:42 AM

No no no no - too big, too soon. When we have over 100 active and trusted exchanges, maybe. When Bitcoin's average transaction volume tops 1Billion USD daily, maybe. When the blocksize limit allows for more than 7 transactions a second, then we can consider petitioning. Until then, we're still just tiny fish - and we don't swim in the tank with the whales.

tigeRshoes

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:20:10 AM

No no no no - too big, too soon. When we have over 100 active and trusted exchanges, maybe. When Bitcoin's average transaction volume tops 1Billion USD daily, maybe. When the blocksize limit allows for more than 7 transactions a second, then we can consider petitioning. Until then, we're still just tiny fish - and we don't swim in the tank with the whales.

The BTC/USD market would need to have more liquidity to absorb the amounts Amazons would generate. Although, if it were to adopt it then lots of people would be buying BTC and more speculators lubricating the market I guess.
JypsiCreme

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:43:58 AM

No no no no - too big, too soon.

You're not thinking clearly. I'm very bearish about the future of bitcoin, but this would be a really good thing for bitcoin. Amazon isn't just a giant online marketplace, it also has huge cloud resources and enough IT horsepower to render needing dozens of other exchanges pretty moot.
StatusSeeking

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

No no no no - too big, too soon.

You're not thinking clearly. I'm very bearish about the future of bitcoin, but this would be a really good thing for bitcoin. Amazon isn't just a giant online marketplace, it also has huge cloud resources and enough IT horsepower to render needing dozens of other exchanges pretty moot.

What exactly would Amazon do with the Bitcoins? They can't pay their employees or maintain their servers with it. Amazon would be the only major store taking Bitcoins. They would become bloated and Bitcoin would be worthless. Rick is right, it is too big and too soon. Economies need to cycle money and Amazon wouldn't have anywhere to put the Bitcoins after they have been paid.
PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:19:46 AM

What exactly would Amazon do with the Bitcoins? They can't pay their employees or maintain their servers with it. Amazon would be the only major store taking Bitcoins. They would become bloated and Bitcoin would be worthless. Rick is right, it is too big and too soon. Economies need to cycle money and Amazon wouldn't have anywhere to put the Bitcoins after they have been paid.

They would need to use something like bitpay, but since this is amazon we are talking about, it would probably make more sense for them to roll out such a service themselves. They might even make an exchange of sorts meant only for amazon <->bitcoin users to get around relying on MTgox's recent horror shows. This would be a very expensive investment in a currency that so far has been very unstable.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: