Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:56:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Amazon for Bitcoin Payments  (Read 11865 times)
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:52:27 AM

I think in the long, long run Amazon may have some type of a payment system in the works. It may seemed far fetched now but eventually their market share is going to plateau and Ebay may be the final frontier. I could even see an acquisition...again in the far distant future.
They will likely eventually sell items that they sell directly for bitcoin. I would doubt that anything sold via 3rd parties on the amazon website will sell for bitcoin, or if they do that the merchant would be able to get paid in bitcoin.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:47:13 AM

I think in the long, long run Amazon may have some type of a payment system in the works. It may seemed far fetched now but eventually their market share is going to plateau and Ebay may be the final frontier. I could even see an acquisition...again in the far distant future.
They will likely eventually sell items that they sell directly for bitcoin. I would doubt that anything sold via 3rd parties on the amazon website will sell for bitcoin, or if they do that the merchant would be able to get paid in bitcoin.

Well Amazon will need to worry about outmoding from other groups developing Bitcoin and stores that may emerge from it's own ecosystem
Bitcoin also has good retailers like overstock that use it now so it's likely something they will seriously consider or they can risk that they may be left a bit behind or give way for something strong to appear.

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:30:52 PM

Well Amazon will need to worry about outmoding from other groups developing Bitcoin and stores that may emerge from it's own ecosystem
Bitcoin also has good retailers like overstock that use it now so it's likely something they will seriously consider or they can risk that they may be left a bit behind or give way for something strong to appear.
Overstock has a limited supply of what it can sell by concept. Amazon has long been the biggest online retailer. Amazon would likely wish to accept bitcoin because of it's cost verses other payment methods, not for a competitive advantage.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:16:45 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 02:19:34 AM by halfawake

Overstock has a limited supply of what it can sell by concept. Amazon has long been the biggest online retailer. Amazon would likely wish to accept bitcoin because of it's cost verses other payment methods, not for a competitive advantage.

The sheer volitality would overshadow the cost advantage for a company as big as Amazon.  If Amazon truly accepts bitcoin one day, then we'll know bitcoin has made it.  But I honestly don't think the infrastructure is there yet for bitcoin to be accepted by Amazon.  A company like Coinbase or bitpay works fine for small to medium size companies, but I don't think either of them would cut it for a company as large as Amazon.  

But back to the original topic.  If you really want Amazon to accept bitcoin, here's what I'd do.  Bypass the customer service reps and go straight to the CEO himself and ask him if he'd be willing to consider accepting bitcoins.  He's the one who has the power to make the decision.  Jeff Bezos's email is jeff@amazon.com.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:56:04 PM

it`s just a matter of time before bitcoin becomes global. Impossible to resist.
Can`t escape reality.
Amazon is a great step for Bitcoin no doubt of it...
Bitcoin is an unstoppable virus which makes mankind easily change their minds, we have seen Russia, and some other countries that banned and unbanned it... Indeed as you said, it is impossible to resist.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:59:38 PM

it`s just a matter of time before bitcoin becomes global. Impossible to resist.
Can`t escape reality.
Amazon is a great step for Bitcoin no doubt of it...
Bitcoin is an unstoppable virus which makes mankind easily change their minds, we have seen Russia, and some other countries that banned and unbanned it... Indeed as you said, it is impossible to resist.

China increasingly seemed to soften their stance, Russia now explicitly so.... California clarifying legality and New York getting ready to roll out Bitlicenses.... i think i see where this is going.
littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:50:29 PM

If amazon accept BTC, that would be a huge push.
But I believe eventually they will do it.
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:52:25 PM

if newegg can do it, amazon can too  Grin

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
Kipsy89

Activity: 280

Relax!

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:12:02 PM

that's like comparing an ant with an elephant.

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:29:44 PM

The sheer volitality would overshadow the cost advantage for a company as big as Amazon.  If Amazon truly accepts bitcoin one day, then we'll know bitcoin has made it.  But I honestly don't think the infrastructure is there yet for bitcoin to be accepted by Amazon.  A company like Coinbase or bitpay works fine for small to medium size companies, but I don't think either of them would cut it for a company as large as Amazon. 

But back to the original topic.  If you really want Amazon to accept bitcoin, here's what I'd do.  Bypass the customer service reps and go straight to the CEO himself and ask him if he'd be willing to consider accepting bitcoins.  He's the one who has the power to make the decision.  Jeff Bezos's email is jeff@amazon.com.
[/quote]

I agree. Infrastructure is crucial to handling that kind of volume. We are probably at least a couple of years from being ready for something that big. The good news is that it means cheap bit coin will be available for a little while longer.

Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:31:24 PM

if Amazon accepted bitcoin, that could potentially be a huge downward pressure on the market. these small guys like DISH and Newegg -- Bitpay won't be pressured to dump on exchanges for the kind of volumes those businesses bring. but Amazon? might be too much bitcoin spent and not enough buyers for Bitpay/Coinbase to exchange them. i mean, they are like the biggest in the world.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:22:44 AM

The sheer volitality would overshadow the cost advantage for a company as big as Amazon.  If Amazon truly accepts bitcoin one day, then we'll know bitcoin has made it.  But I honestly don't think the infrastructure is there yet for bitcoin to be accepted by Amazon.  A company like Coinbase or bitpay works fine for small to medium size companies, but I don't think either of them would cut it for a company as large as Amazon.  

But back to the original topic.  If you really want Amazon to accept bitcoin, here's what I'd do.  Bypass the customer service reps and go straight to the CEO himself and ask him if he'd be willing to consider accepting bitcoins.  He's the one who has the power to make the decision.  Jeff Bezos's email is jeff@amazon.com.
First of all, i doubt that is his real amazon email address.

Secondly, there is no reason why amazon couldn't build their own bitcoin processing service to use for themselves. All they would have to do is work with a number of exchanges to automatically sell a certain amount of bitcoin when they receive it from customers. The exchange and amazon could each take out a letter of credit to guarantee eachothers' performance so amazon would not need to transfer the bitcoin right away and amazon could trust the exchange with fiat and bitcoin that it holds on it's behalf.

This spot for rent.
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:36:05 AM

First of all, i doubt that is his real amazon email address.

In case you think I'm making it up, I got that e-mail address from a Business Week article.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:25:39 AM

Chicken and egg. Not enough customers for them to bother changing anything, not enough merchants for most non-bitcoiners to want the option.
They'll come on board once bitcoin is bigger. Better to focus on companies more interested in getting in early.
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:52:17 AM

if Amazon accepted bitcoin, that could potentially be a huge downward pressure on the market. these small guys like DISH and Newegg -- Bitpay won't be pressured to dump on exchanges for the kind of volumes those businesses bring. but Amazon? might be too much bitcoin spent and not enough buyers for Bitpay/Coinbase to exchange them. i mean, they are like the biggest in the world.

Yep, it could be a while for this to unfold. Amazon is big, big money. It'd be one thing if their vendors/suppliers accepted bitcoin -- then they could hold it. But being such a huge e-commerce giant, they have huge overheads to pay in fiat. That means selling the bitcoins spent there. I don't know how deep the market is for Bitpay, etc.

mamarried

Activity: 260
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:55:53 AM

Chicken and egg. Not enough customers for them to bother changing anything, not enough merchants for most non-bitcoiners to want the option.
They'll come on board once bitcoin is bigger. Better to focus on companies more interested in getting in early.

No one is going to to buy Bitcoins just to spend them on Amazon. Not a chicken and an egg problem, simply a sign of relatively low adoption.
dlzc

Activity: 151

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:13:18 AM

As I know, newegg has accepted Bitcoin
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:17:10 AM

As I know, newegg has accepted Bitcoin

Yes, that's what he was saying. But I think they are apples and oranges for the reasons mentioned up thread. Newegg is a tiny fish -- Amazon is a giant whale. The biggest. BTC needs to be a lot bigger, I think, before Amazon can get their feet wet.

BitProdigy

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

We Are The New Wealthy Elite, Gentlemen

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:42:32 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 07:10:55 AM by BitProdigy

hey guys, I took your advise and sent Amazon a message on their Facebook page. the message I sent was:

Dear Amazon, I would like to purchase things on your website using Bitcoin.

Surprisingly I got a reply! The reply was:

Hi Chad, we don't accept Bitcoins as payment. You can use the following payment methods:
- Visa including the Amazon.com Visa Card
- MasterCard/EuroCard
- Discover Network
- American Express
- Diners Club U.S. billing addresses only
- JCB
- NYCE
- Amazon Gift Cards
Hope this helps!

- Clara D

To which I replied:

Hi Clara! Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I am not comfortable using any of the payment methods you have listed, Bitcoin is my preferred method of payment for online shopping and so I will be shopping exclusively with sites that provide this option such as Overstock.com, TigerDirect.com, and NewEgg.com.

Amazon has always been my online shopping site of choice, in fact it was the only one I ever used, but now that I am shopping online using Bitcoin, Amazon is simply not an option for me unless I want to compromise my preferred method of payment. I do hope that Amazon will accept Bitcoin sometime soon. If you are able to escalate this message I would very much appreciate that, and I look forward to shopping with Amazon again in the future!

I didn't expect a reply! Are you guys getting replies too when posting on their Facebook wall?

Edit: I have since gotten this reply as well:

Hi,
I will definitely pass your feedback on that you're interested in this feature! Have a great week.

- Jimmy
tigeRshoes

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:08:43 AM

No one is going to to buy Bitcoins just to spend them on Amazon. Not a chicken and an egg problem, simply a sign of relatively low adoption.

Agreed. Bitcoins are a pain in the ass to get. Why would you pay fees to get bitcoins just to turn around and spend them?
I saved 20% on my last Amazon purchase through PurseIO. That makes it worth it. Then rebought on Coinbase.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: