Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:49:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Amazon for Bitcoin Payments  (Read 11863 times)
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:07:28 AM

Judges and juries are the only ones who have the authority to make legal conclusions. If the jury thinks that the facts show that the buyer knew the items were purchased with stolen credit cards then it would find him guilty.

Before it gets to that point a prosecutor has to judge whether it is even worth the bother, and I wouldn't think it would progress past that point. Unless you think everyone who gets a good deal selling something on Ebay should be taken to court just in case of wrongdoing, for example.

I make a wishlist on Amazon. I share it on Purse, with a discount I'm seeking from people who want to buy BTC with a credit card. An anonymous bidder accepts my offer. When the item(s) arrive I Confirm Delivery on Purse and the BTC transfers. How could a judge or jury or prosecutor think from that sequence of events that the BTC holder "knowingly" was a party to criminal activity? Might as well just arrest anyone with cash in their pockets, all bankers, etc., because their cash might once have been involved in a crime.

As I already stated, I will do my best to report any confession of illegal activity by a bidder for BTC (unlikely as that may be). I've also brought up this whole issue with Purse (including a link to this thread); I'll share what response I get if any.
What if the prosecutor were to think that you were the anonymous bidder who is simply trying to hide your tracks by used purse to use a stolen credit card?
Good question... I assume they'd be looking for some kind of evidence to back that up. They'd have to have _something_ beyond a mere suspicion to make it worthy of going to trial. And in my case there'd simply be nothing. No evidence in computer records (on my own or the ISP, etc.) nothing in my personal life, real life contacts/associates, relation to any credit card fraud victims, I'd almost certainly have alibis for the time/place of any crimes, etc. And I'd be fully cooperative since I'd have nothing to hide. So again, I couldn't see this going anywhere near a trial.
I think you would still be guilty of receiving stolen property if you bought goods with bitcoin for a discount when the goods were purchased with a stolen credit card. It would be kind of like you buying a stolen TV out of some guy's truck, brand new for 50% off what it would cost you in a store. The semantics are different but the same principles would apply.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:12:16 PM

On a completely different note^

What's the status on amazon accepting bitcoin?

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:30:47 PM

I've asked before. I've only gotten a boilerplate response. I think Amazon is way too big to touch bitcoin for now. Not until there is a much bigger market cap and market liquidity against USD.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:43:01 PM

Judges and juries are the only ones who have the authority to make legal conclusions. If the jury thinks that the facts show that the buyer knew the items were purchased with stolen credit cards then it would find him guilty.

Before it gets to that point a prosecutor has to judge whether it is even worth the bother, and I wouldn't think it would progress past that point. Unless you think everyone who gets a good deal selling something on Ebay should be taken to court just in case of wrongdoing, for example.

I make a wishlist on Amazon. I share it on Purse, with a discount I'm seeking from people who want to buy BTC with a credit card. An anonymous bidder accepts my offer. When the item(s) arrive I Confirm Delivery on Purse and the BTC transfers. How could a judge or jury or prosecutor think from that sequence of events that the BTC holder "knowingly" was a party to criminal activity? Might as well just arrest anyone with cash in their pockets, all bankers, etc., because their cash might once have been involved in a crime.

As I already stated, I will do my best to report any confession of illegal activity by a bidder for BTC (unlikely as that may be). I've also brought up this whole issue with Purse (including a link to this thread); I'll share what response I get if any.
What if the prosecutor were to think that you were the anonymous bidder who is simply trying to hide your tracks by used purse to use a stolen credit card?
Good question... I assume they'd be looking for some kind of evidence to back that up. They'd have to have _something_ beyond a mere suspicion to make it worthy of going to trial. And in my case there'd simply be nothing. No evidence in computer records (on my own or the ISP, etc.) nothing in my personal life, real life contacts/associates, relation to any credit card fraud victims, I'd almost certainly have alibis for the time/place of any crimes, etc. And I'd be fully cooperative since I'd have nothing to hide. So again, I couldn't see this going anywhere near a trial.
I think you would still be guilty of receiving stolen property if you bought goods with bitcoin for a discount when the goods were purchased with a stolen credit card. It would be kind of like you buying a stolen TV out of some guy's truck, brand new for 50% off what it would cost you in a store. The semantics are different but the same principles would apply.
Yeah, in a case like that where it could be documented that the funds used in the fiat purchase were stolen I'd be agreeable to making things right and returning/refunding the proceeds/items. I suspect if someone wanted to fight it, the novelty and complexity of the case would bog it down and they'd probably win on some technicality or other.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
techman
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:12:15 PM

What is the latest situation for Amazon?

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:26:41 PM

Unless I missed something, nothing but boilerplate responses. I have to think that Amazon is simply too big to risk holding BTC (can't pay suppliers and vendors in it), and Bitpay can't do that kind of volume!

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:14:47 AM

Yeah, in a case like that where it could be documented that the funds used in the fiat purchase were stolen I'd be agreeable to making things right and returning/refunding the proceeds/items. I suspect if someone wanted to fight it, the novelty and complexity of the case would bog it down and they'd probably win on some technicality or other.
If this were the case then you would essentially be scammed out of your bitcoin and would, at the vest least have a scary encounter with the police/law enforcement.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:53:09 PM

I am pretty sure that as long as it can be documented that the goods were stolen then, even if you buy them legitimately, they are still considered stolen and must be returned to the rightful owner. Generally there must be some kind of serial number or tracking number to document the fact that they were stolen. 

This spot for rent.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:56:10 PM

Unless I missed something, nothing but boilerplate responses. I have to think that Amazon is simply too big to risk holding BTC (can't pay suppliers and vendors in it), and Bitpay can't do that kind of volume!

Bitcoin is still too small to be considered by Amazon but things may change next year,
more and more companies are adopting it and Amazon will follow sooner or later.
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:58:25 PM

I think if Amazon gets enough fuss, (People keep saying I am buying at Overstock.com until you accept Bitcoin) they will have to cave. 

It would take a lot of people to make this happen but every little message to them will help in the long run.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:03:11 PM

Emailed them that I now use Overstock (because of Bitcoin), but would like to also use Amazon.
herogold

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:40:39 AM

bump
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 08:44:33 PM

I think if Amazon gets enough fuss, (People keep saying I am buying at Overstock.com until you accept Bitcoin) they will have to cave. 

It would take a lot of people to make this happen but every little message to them will help in the long run.

Yes once Bitcoin has enough people using it, businesses will start allowing Bitcoin payments

hashme

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:15:51 AM

I first check with Overstock.com before and see if it has products I need to purchase there. Amazon may take a while to jump on the Bitcoin bandwagon and they are so big that bitcoin isn't of any consequence even if all of us contact them. I believe they will eventually integrate Bitcoin but in the meantime I want to support pioneers like Patrick Byrne who have taken a risk and now is even keeping 10% of all bitcoin sales in bitcoin which is amazing considering their margins.

Overstock.com sucks!
1)They take bitcoins only from USA.
2)Their support are not helpful nor interested in customers needs
How do you check, if Bitcoins are from the USA?
You can't check that. Bitcoins can't be from USA, Europe, Asia whatever. The wallet that contains them only can. Maybe he meant customers from the USA.
Yep, I meant they took bitcoins from USA customers only. 

I pay back 50% commissions to my referrals
https://www.okcoin.com/?invid=2013370
Fair sites only.
wordman267645

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:27:54 PM

That's a good  news. Sooner or later if amazon accepting bitcoin that' a great step and more and more companies will follow them..
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 02:15:50 PM

Any news on them accepting any type of cryptocurrency?

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Appleanimal

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 10:50:33 PM

I never bought anything from Amazon, but in future i think i will order some stuff out of curiosity. I'd love to see them accepting BTC, since i don't want to use credit cards and stuff if it is not really neccessary.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 03:04:36 AM

Any news on them accepting any type of cryptocurrency?

Very unlikely in the short term. They said it was not a matter of importance to them earlier this year.

raveldoni

Activity: 434

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:34:07 AM

With increasing customer demand everyday they will soon start accepting bitcoin payments and It would be awesome to pay AWS bill with bitcoin.

GLOBAL DECENTRALIZED ADVERTISING EXCHANGE

Token sale: MAY 21

▄█▄      ▄█▄        
                                 █████    █████       
                        ▄██▄     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▄█▄    ▀██▀                           
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
                ▀█▀                                    
          ▄                      ▄█▄      ▄█▄        
         ▀█▀           ▄██▄    █████    █████       
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▀█▀                                    
           ▄                      ▄█▄     ▄█▄        
          ▀█▀            ▄██▄   █████   █████       
    ██            ▄█▄   ▀██▀    ▀█▀     ▀█▀        
             ▄    ▀█▀                                 
            ▀█▀                         ▄█▄           
       ██              ▄█▄   ▄██▄    █████          
                  ▄    ▀█▀   ▀██▀     ▀█▀           
                 ▀█▀                                   
            ██                   ▄██▄                 
                    ▄     ▄█▄   ▀██▀                 
                   ▀█▀    ▀█▀                          

▄█   ▄█  ▄█        ▄█████▄   ▀█▄     ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▄▄▄▄▄   ██▀   ▀██    ▀█▄  ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▀▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ████   
██   ██  ██   ██  ██▄   ▄█    ▄██▀▀██▄   
▀██████▀  ▀██████▀  ▀███████▀   ▄██▀   ▀██▄
Telegram
Facebook
ANN Thread
Youtube
LinkedIn
Twitter
Medium
Reddit
Github
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:40:54 AM

It seems that this is all we are lacking at the moment, customer demand. If more of us ask for this to be implemented we may get it sooner rather than later. Petitions and posting anywhere that is possible including Facebook pages, customer support emails and even forums if they have forums is plenty of ways to get their attention and show there is enough people out there want to see them accept it. I wonder how many other companies are thinking the same way as Amazon though and all it will take it enough interest and demand.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: