Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:29:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 x 6970 in Windows...Help needed (.5 BTC bounty) [SOLVED]  (Read 7426 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:20:33 PM

If I could offer up 1 more small, but hopefully relevant piece of advise ? (no charge....unless you think it's worth something...lol)

Ditch GUIMiner and get on the CGMiner train.

I use it on all my Win7 x64 machines and it rocks. It has the ability to use a config file, but I still find it easier to launch it from a BAT file.

1- Create a new TXT file in Windows.

2- Paste in the following (change where needed)

start /affinity 1 cgminer -o http://YOURPOOL.COM:8332 -u YOURUSERNAME -p YOURPASSWORD -I 9 --gpu-engine XXX --gpu-memclock 300 --auto-fan --temp-target 69

3- Close TXT File, SAVE, RENAME the file something.BAT (have 'hide known file extensions' disabled, or it will remain a TXT file, regardless of extension)

4- Right-Click the BAT file, choose EDIT (opens in Notepad), Make the required changes, adding your POOL, USERNAME, PASSWORD, GPU Clock Speed (replace XXX). CLOSE/SAVE

5- DOWNLOAD the latest CGMiner (2.1.2) for Win32 (no x64 version, doesn't matter, runs fine). Unzip it anywhere you like.
Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0  .........  Direct Download Link (From Developer) - http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-2.1.2-win32.zip

6- CUT/PASTE the something.BAT file into your CGMiner directory and Double-Click it.....VOILA!

The above CMD is set to run MEM @ 300Mhz and your Target Temp with Auto Fan control at 69C, but these values can be changed also.
Regardless of whatever driver, the CMD is also set to run on a single CPU core, rather than 100%, or all 4 cores of your Quad Core, if that's what you have (affinity = quick fix for 100% CPU Bug).

This will automatically control all 3 of your cards and give you 2 mining threads per card (default setting). Once you get your 'feet wet' with it, you can explore more options.
What I provided above is a basic (pretty much what I use exactly) setup for most of my cards, including my quad 6950 Miners (using I=9 Intensity as above).

Give it a try....you WON'T be dissapointed.

CGMiner replaces Overclocking Software, Fan Control and Miner - ALL IN ONE Wink

So I tried installing CGminer on my laptop first before I try it on my mining rigs.  Two questions:

1.)  Is it natural that my computer is trying to tell me that CGminer is a trojan horse?
2.)  When I click on the something.BAT file, why does it open a command prompt that immediately closes?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:48:17 PM

If I could offer up 1 more small, but hopefully relevant piece of advise ? (no charge....unless you think it's worth something...lol)

Ditch GUIMiner and get on the CGMiner train.

I use it on all my Win7 x64 machines and it rocks. It has the ability to use a config file, but I still find it easier to launch it from a BAT file.

1- Create a new TXT file in Windows.

2- Paste in the following (change where needed)

start /affinity 1 cgminer -o http://YOURPOOL.COM:8332 -u YOURUSERNAME -p YOURPASSWORD -I 9 --gpu-engine XXX --gpu-memclock 300 --auto-fan --temp-target 69

3- Close TXT File, SAVE, RENAME the file something.BAT (have 'hide known file extensions' disabled, or it will remain a TXT file, regardless of extension)

4- Right-Click the BAT file, choose EDIT (opens in Notepad), Make the required changes, adding your POOL, USERNAME, PASSWORD, GPU Clock Speed (replace XXX). CLOSE/SAVE

5- DOWNLOAD the latest CGMiner (2.1.2) for Win32 (no x64 version, doesn't matter, runs fine). Unzip it anywhere you like.
Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0  .........  Direct Download Link (From Developer) - http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-2.1.2-win32.zip

6- CUT/PASTE the something.BAT file into your CGMiner directory and Double-Click it.....VOILA!

The above CMD is set to run MEM @ 300Mhz and your Target Temp with Auto Fan control at 69C, but these values can be changed also.
Regardless of whatever driver, the CMD is also set to run on a single CPU core, rather than 100%, or all 4 cores of your Quad Core, if that's what you have (affinity = quick fix for 100% CPU Bug).

This will automatically control all 3 of your cards and give you 2 mining threads per card (default setting). Once you get your 'feet wet' with it, you can explore more options.
What I provided above is a basic (pretty much what I use exactly) setup for most of my cards, including my quad 6950 Miners (using I=9 Intensity as above).

Give it a try....you WON'T be dissapointed.

CGMiner replaces Overclocking Software, Fan Control and Miner - ALL IN ONE Wink

So I tried installing CGminer on my laptop first before I try it on my mining rigs.  Two questions:

1.)  Is it natural that my computer is trying to tell me that CGminer is a trojan horse?
2.)  When I click on the something.BAT file, why does it open a command prompt that immediately closes?

i never got a trojan horse warning.

your .bat file needs modifying.  it did that to me also at first.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 08:02:31 PM

Ok, I got it to work.  But how do I flash my BIOS to allow for 300 mem clock?  I have 3 x 6970.  Lowest it's letting me get is around 770 mem.  Also, I can't adjust the voltage.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 08:39:28 PM

Ok, I got it to work.  But how do I flash my BIOS to allow for 300 mem clock?  I have 3 x 6970.  Lowest it's letting me get is around 770 mem.  Also, I can't adjust the voltage.

you got me as to how to actually do it but the bios flash is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2040/ATIFlash_3.89.html
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:23:33 PM

the fact that the Accepted and Rejected columns have 0's in them, is this a cause for concern?

jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:35:43 PM

There is no concept of a share when you're solo mining.
You either have or don't have the correct hash for current difficulty.

In pooled mining, shares are merely being used to measure miners' hash rate, hence their rewards.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:38:48 PM

There is no concept of a share when you're solo mining.
You either have or don't have the correct hash for current difficulty.

In pooled mining, shares are merely being used to measure miners' hash rate, hence their rewards.

thanks Jake.

looks like i have to install Ubuntu on one of my miners whose Win 7 is corrupted.  can you point me to the relevant info on how to set this up?  i did RTFM from the beginning of this thread but want to make sure i do this right. Wink
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 12:18:02 AM

*shrugs* how 'bout just following a guide like this one?
I never followed any of those guides, thus can't vouch for them but what Inaba wrote looks sensible enough.

Every guide boils down to:
(1) setting up the OS itself. That step is usually very easy and boils down to following the installer. Make sure to set up the ssh access here.
(2) installing AMD drivers and SDK, using "aticonfig --initial  --adapter=all" to generate a valid X configuration.
(3) setting up your miner of choice and its config file.
(4) enabling automation so that the machine can be run unsupervised.
Panda Mouse

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Gliding...

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:11:01 AM

would you mind repeating these Win 7 instructions for a solo miner?  thanks in advance.

bitcoin.conf for Solo Mining. REPLACE BOLD with your own. Pay close attention to RED BOLD for further setup required.
This file needs to go on the Bitcoin(D) server/app location/machine that others will be pointing to.....

Win7 botcoin.conf default location = C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\

# FORWARD THROUGH FIREWALL TO BITCOIN(D) SERVER.
port=8333

Hi Bitlane.

Are you sure that now (6.0 client) I have to forward 8333?
I try without and see that the miners are working.

Panda Mouse
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 08:58:03 PM

AFAIK you can't get the 6XXX to run a drastically lower memory. Even if you edit the bios the clocks are hashed, within windows it will BSOD as soon as the driver loads if you alter them. In linux you can change them to whatever you want. It's a gotcha bulilt into the driver by dear old AMD. With cgminer you can use the memdiff paramter to auto adjust the ram speed to be slower, I think 125 or 150 is the limit.

So if you are running your gpu core at 900 mhz, the ram can go as low as 750 or 775.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: