Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:39:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 6970's  (Read 4314 times)
heinz

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:47:25 PM

cypherdoc: You should be getting close to 400 MH/s Shocked

HIS Iceq 6970's at 975/850 getting 430 MH/s. Stable for months at a time. Temps in low 70's. Using latest Cgminer. Also using it for my overclocking and fan control.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:22:11 AM

using MSI Afterburner;

core voltage slider is preset at Min; can't adjust

what is Shader Clock?  also preset at Min

adjusted Memory Clock down to min of 692 Mhz

Fan Speed right now at 100% b/c my 3 cards are at 89, 100, & 91C with Core Clock at 880!
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:24:49 AM

cypherdoc: You should be getting close to 400 MH/s Shocked

are u using cgminer?
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 12:06:34 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 12:19:11 PM by jake262144

using MSI Afterburner;

what is Shader Clock?  also preset at Min

Fan Speed right now at 100% b/c my 3 cards are at 89, 100, & 91C with Core Clock at 880!

Cypherdoc, do keep in mind I'm not a psychic. Instead of just saying "at min" do add the numeric value, k?  Grin

Do you think you could compile a table like this?
Code:
card_id		core	mem	voltage		fan%	temperature
Sapphire6970_1 940 820 1.100 65 78
PowerC6970_1 ...
PowerC6970_2 ...

The only thing I can say for sure is that you successfully dropped the memory clocks and that you desperately need better ventilation or will have to start dropping core clocks.
Over the long haul, those fan speeds and temperatures are not acceptable.

Are those non-reference cards? If they are, there is a possibility that the manufacturers cut corners and equipped them with a non-adjustable VRMs.
Can you post the model numbers of your GPUs? Or links to the manufacturer's site showing the precise model?

Do you think you could post a decent photo of the whole set up?
That would give me an idea as to what those cards actually are and where some additional fans could be McGyvered in for better airflow.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 04:21:51 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 04:35:20 PM by cypherdoc

using MSI Afterburner;

what is Shader Clock?  also preset at Min

Cypherdoc, do keep in mind I'm not a psychic. Instead of just saying "at min" do add the numeric value, k?  Grin
you mean you don't read minds? Grin  Min is minimum.  i was able to unlock the Core Voltage which i set at its minimum of 800 mV as you can see from the pic below

Do you think you could compile a table like this?
Code:
card_id		core	mem	voltage		fan%	temperature
Sapphire6970_1 940 820 1.100 65 78
PowerC6970_1 ...
PowerC6970_2 ...

The only thing I can say for sure is that you successfully dropped the memory clocks and that you desperately need better ventilation or will have to start dropping core clocks.
Over the long haul, those fan speeds and temperatures are not acceptable.

Are those non-reference cards?
i don't think so but i didn't install them.

If they are, there is a possibility that the manufacturers cut corners and equipped them with a non-adjustable VRMs.
Can you post the model numbers of your GPUs? Or links to the manufacturer's site showing the precise model?

Do you think you could post a decent photo of the whole set up?
That would give me an idea as to what those cards actually are and where some additional fans could be McGyvered in for better airflow.

i'm actually getting a better sense of this now.

i've ordered a floor fan for the hottest miner.  i think the crux of the issue is i have 3 diff types of cards; 3 old Sapphire's which have only 1 fan; 3 Powercolors which have 2 fans; and one new Sapphire with 2 fans.  i'm going to try mixing and matching them into diff slots to give more ventilating space for the single fan Sapphires.  i'll also play with MSI along with that floor fan.  the way the motherboard is set up, the 2nd and 3rd slots (descending order) are right on top of each other and with the fans blowing out of the bottom of the cards, the 2nd card gets the hottest.  so i'm going to make sure that 2nd card has 2 fans.

you guys talk about a negative % setting for core voltage; i only have absolute values?

would cgminer run my cards more efficiently than MSI Afterburner?

jake262144

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 04:43:00 PM

Nicely done!

Yeah, I ment precisely that I don't read minds. I know what a min value means, I just can't know what the numeric value corresponds to the min setting Smiley
e.g. you said voltage was at min. Great, but I still don't know whether that is 0.6V, 0.9V, 0.95V or 1.1V.

In undervolting discussions, negative values are being used as a distance (or delta) from the stock core voltage.
If the stock voltage for a particular GPU is 1.100V then -0.020 means core voltage of 1.080V.

It looks like you've got this particular 6970 GPU set up quite nicely. Which is it BTW?
0.820V core voltage is looking nice indeed.
I don't think you can move the Shaders Clock slider - on current AMD cards it's using the came clock as the core. Just ignore that.
Memory is decent at 685, a lot better energy- and heat-wise than 1375MHz.

Once you get the rest of your cards nice and cozy, there will be some overclocking to do.

Can you post the settings screens for your other cards as well?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 04:52:06 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 05:05:32 PM by cypherdoc

Nicely done!

Yeah, I ment precisely that I don't read minds. I know what a min value means, I just can't know what the numeric value corresponds to the min setting Smiley
e.g. you said voltage was at min. Great, but I still don't know whether that is 0.6V, 0.9V, 0.95V or 1.1V.

In undervolting discussions, negative values are being used as a distance (or delta) from the stock core voltage.
If the stock voltage for a particular GPU is 1.100V then -0.020 means core voltage of 1.080V.

It looks like you've got this particular 6970 GPU set up quite nicely. Which is it BTW?
0.820V core voltage is looking nice indeed.
I don't think you can move the Shaders Clock slider - on current AMD cards it's using the came clock as the core. Just ignore that.
Memory is decent at 685, a lot better energy- and heat-wise than 1375MHz.

Once you get the rest of your cards nice and cozy, there will be some overclocking to do.

Can you post the settings screens for your other cards as well?

yes i will when i can get to it.

but what about that 2nd GPU temp of 102C?  this is the card thats right on top of the bottom 3rd card.  no way to avoid this i don't think.

also what about cgminer being better than Afterburner?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:04:33 PM

i think i have plenty of internal fans. they're all blowing air into the case.

my question is for the larger side panel fan.  currently its blowing air IN.  seems to me it would be more effective to be blowing air OUT to create flow.  thoughts?

also, the cards are connected with Crossfire connectors.  did someone say no Crossfire?
jake262144

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:07:05 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 05:22:46 PM by jake262144

As I told you before, I have no idea whatsoever how well cgminer does on Windows.
*shouts out loud* Ye Windows-miners attend, attend! A little support for cypherdoc here?

Yeah, what about that card? Other than the fact it's burning up alive, that is.
Post me the Afterburner settings for that card, there might be something wrong with fan speed or the card could just be suffocating due to being physically to close to the other cards.
You should keep at least one empty slot between the cards to let the fans breathe.
If you really can't, do what Conman did.
Heh yes it is. Great case for when it all must be in a case. The cards dropped a good 15 degrees or 25% fanspeed with those half-pegs.

EDIT::Kill crossfire. Not only do you not need it, it is detrimental for the hash rate.
EDIT::Actually, in the case of my case, temperatures dropped slightly with the side fan sucking air in due to (relatively) cold air being blown where it's most needed.
        You still need excellent exhaust, though, to get the hot air out of the case ASAP. I upgraded my exhaust with two Noiseblocker 140mm 1700RPM fans.
        If your exhaust fans aren't strong enough, feel free to give that side panel fan a try in exhaust configuration.
        The question is, when you open the case do the GPU temperatures rise or drop? If your airflow is good enough, the temps should be lower when the case is closed.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:22:45 PM

As I told you before, I have no idea whatsoever how well cgminer does on Windows.
*shouts out loud* Ye Windows-miners attend, attend! A little support for cypherdoc here?

Yeah, what about that card? Other than the fact it's burning up alive, that is.
Post me the Afterburner settings for that card, there might be something wrong with fan speed or the card could just be suffocating due to being physically to close to the other cards.
You should keep at least one empty slot between the cards to let the fans breathe.
If you really can't, do what Conman did.
Heh yes it is. Great case for when it all must be in a case. The cards dropped a good 15 degrees or 25% fanspeed with those half-pegs.

EDIT::Kill crossfire. Not only do you not need it, it is detrimental for the hash rate.
EDIT::Actually, in the case of my case, the temperatures dropped slightly with the side fan blowing in due to (relatively) cold air being blown in where it's most needed.
        You still need excellent exhaust, though, to get the hot air out from the case ASAP. I upgraded my exhaust with two Noiseblocker 140mm 1700RPM fans.
        If your exhaust fans aren't strong enough, feel free to give that side-mounted fan a try in exhaust configuration.
        The question is, when you open the case do the GPU temperatures rise or drop? If your airflow is good enough, the temps should be lower when the case is closed.

do u actually mean disconnect the Crossfire connectors?

any thoughts on the fan directionality?

i thought the "settings" for the GPU2 are in the pic i put up?  those settings are universal across all 3 cards right?  or is there a way to individually make settings?
jake262144

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:30:02 PM

Nope, the MSI Afterburner configuration is being done on an per-device basis.
Don't ask me where you need to click to change the currently-managed card.
I suggest you try clicking on the AMD HD Radeon 6900 Series panel. If it doesn't work you're gonna have to RTFM :<

Yes, turn off the machine and disconnect the crossfire bridges.

Feel free to experiment with the side panel fan. If your exhaust fans are currently too weak, turning the side fan around might help. I don't think it will, though.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:23:02 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2012, 04:37:24 AM by cypherdoc

someone take a look at this, please.  i'm still having temp issues after rearranging the cards and installing cgminer:

jake262144

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:43:18 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2012, 06:26:42 AM by jake262144

Beautifully done!

In cgminer window press G (as in gpu), then C (change), then put in the number of the card.
You'll see a screen like this:
Code:
Temp: 74.0 C
Fan Speed: 60%
Engine Clock: 1005 MHz
Memory Clock: 510 Mhz
Vddc: 1.009 V
Activity: 99%
Powertune: 0%
Fan autotune is enabled (60-65)
GPU engine clock autotune is enabled (700-1005)
Change [A]utomatic [E]ngine [F]an [M]emory [V]oltage [P]owertune
Or press any other key to continue
Not you can get tuning, tweaking, and hacking!

To make the changes permanent, you can edit your cgminer.conf file
The exact howto is in cgminer documentation and in cgminer thread.
You can't evade reading it, so I suggest you get RTFMing Wink

Should cgminer shut down out of the blue after you have edited the config file, that most likely means you've made a typo somewhere.
Cgminer takes no prisoners: either every single character of the config file is in order or it refuses to work at all.

EDIT::wording
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 06:14:12 AM

When after editing the config file cgminer shuts itself down when you launch it, that means you've made a typo somewhere. The config file takes no prisoners: either every single character is in order or it refuses to work.
This should be fixed on the next version (which is still a work in progress) and it will be more relaxed about typos/dud entries and skip over them.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 02:02:16 PM

Voltage or Power-tune? Those two are completely orthogonal values and mustn't get mixed up.
I can only change the voltage in ccc on this pc for some reason. Everything else I just use afterburner and set the voltage number.
heinz

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:41:21 PM

someone take a look at this, please.  i'm still having temp issues after rearranging the cards and installing cgminer:

Is there any space between those cards?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:48:56 PM

Is there any space between those cards?

0.25-0.50 inch at most.  but ckolivas cards look similarly spaced.

i did discover one of my 4 fans was off however this morning.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: