Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:09:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I expect that self-regulation by Chinese exchanges can't please the central  (Read 1838 times)
zhangweiwu (OP)

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 04:25:11 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 07:49:22 AM by zhangweiwu

My latest editorial on this speculative topic.

"Bitcoin is not a naughty child – it challenges China’s national control of its money. It shouldn’t have been born"
http://bitcoinblog.de/2014/05/12/bitcoin-is-not-a-naughty-child/
(German edition: http://bitcoinblog.de/2014/05/11/china-der-bitcoin-ist-kein-ungezogenes-kind-er-ist-falsch-geboren/)

(My editor likes this ironic tone in the title - I myself actually is a supporter of Bitcoin)

Following text no longer valid because voting is closed:
Rotten tomatos welcome here, flowers kindly send to BlockChain:

Hallo, editor from bitcoinblog here. I am lucky to publish Zhangs insightful articles, and I am lucky to read you like them.

Currently blockchain.info accepts nominations for the blockchain award, and one category is "most insightful journalist". If you think like me Zhangs articles are the most insightful source of information about one of the most important (price-forming) issue in the temporary bitcoin seen I would be glad if you take some seconds to nominate him.

Just click here https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/04/16/the-first-annual-blockchain-awards/

Thank you

I myself find "most insightful journalist" award helpful, because I am expecting gloomy future in China hence need to move my ass out of China to go on working on Bitcoin projects. Once outside, I don't have the connections and resources, an award or two helps me getting things started.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 07:03:21 PM

Your article is kind of confusing. Are you trying to compare the current btc situation in China to ancient Chinese history? I don't think that has much correlation here.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
UglyTroll

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:12:56 PM

Chinese history always repeats itself, it's been proved for many times  Grin
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:14:31 PM

Your article is kind of confusing. Are you trying to compare the current btc situation in China to ancient Chinese history? I don't think that has much correlation here.

He is using an example from history to narrate his point.

The historical example is very much akin to the recent situation.

I think the article is very insightful.
threecats

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:30:02 PM

Excellent article. And the Chinese stories are crucial to understanding the psychology at play.
tupelo

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:34:03 PM

I'm still wondering why trading on chinese exchanges is still business as usual. Has the deadline of the 10th not had any implication?
UglyTroll

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:42:44 PM

Those exchanges are obviously playing fire  Cheesy Things will happen eventually.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:16:06 PM

Haha no wonder so many foreign companies get burned doing business in China  Shocked what a scary environment to do business in  Sad

Haha to PBOC if they believe they can "kill Bitcoin"

What is the reason that these exchanges don't simply rent a brick and mortar place where people can come in with physical cash? They don't even have to take the cash themselves, just the 1% fee for each transaction that would then be done between buyer and seller.

Bitcoin cafe, localbitcoins style ;-)

Truth is the new hatespeech.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 08:17:10 PM

I'm still wondering why trading on chinese exchanges is still business as usual. Has the deadline of the 10th not had any implication?

They are playing a game of "bluff" with an official agency. Now while this may seem unbelievably reckless it is the pavlovian reaction to be expected of any bitcoiner.

What I find more amazing is that I can be entertained watching the same drama unfold over and over again still.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:17:14 PM

Haha no wonder so many foreign companies get burned doing business in China  Shocked what a scary environment to do business in  Sad

What is the reason that these exchanges don't simply rent a brick and mortar place where people can come in with physical cash? They don't even have to take the cash themselves, just the 1% fee for each transaction that would then be done between buyer and seller.

Bitcoin cafe, localbitcoins style ;-)

Houbi CEO considering something akin to this actually.
BusyBeaverHP

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:01:03 PM

Excellent article.

As a fellow East Asian, Zhang's depiction of Ancient Chinese history and its linkage to Chinese government behavior is accurate.

As long as BTC remains an illicit, speculative toy in China without any actual trading for tangible goods, the November 2013 bubble will continue to correct itself until China is no longer a factor.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 10:06:34 PM

I haven't read his article yet, but my prejudice is that the article is brilliant. He is smart. You are dumb.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:39:20 AM

Brilliant article, as always. But I do not think the Global Bitcoin Summit was organized by the Bitcoin Foundation.
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:48:49 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 01:26:50 AM by zhangweiwu

Brilliant article, as always. But I do not think the Global Bitcoin Summit was organized by the Bitcoin Foundation.

Bit Foundation this time. If the names are confusing, it was intended so.
Quote from: My own article
Facing the Bitcoin Foundation’s failure, the Chinese started Bit Foundation, and although the imitation version is rarely mentioned in the west, the original was rarely heard of in China.
- http://bitcoinblog.de/2014/04/12/its-not-a-survivors-game-its-a-losers-game/

By the way, it is a nationalism tradition in China to call their event and media and organizations 'global'. For example, China's biggest nationalist newspaper is named "Global Times". I explained in the above article, that this is because "China is the world" and "the world never grow out of the boundry of China" (if it does, we will ignore the overgrown part with Somebody Else's Problem field)

"exile" is the world I used in the article, killing Bitcoin businesses is a feasiable way to achieve that goal. Businesses are run by people. Control people = control business.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:53:13 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 01:46:00 AM by Torque

Bit Foundation this time:
Quote from: Quote my own article link=http://bitcoinblog.de/2014/04/12/its-not-a-survivors-game-its-a-losers-game/
Facing the Bitcoin Foundation’s failure, the Chinese started Bit Foundation, and although the imitation version is rarely mentioned in the west, the original was rarely heard of in China.

Seriously?  Are the Chinese for real, or just making this crap up to entertain themselves?  This is the height of hubris and arrogance.  Show me one prominent bitcoiner in China that is even part of the Bitcoin core development team.  If anything has been a failure so far, it's the Chinese exchanges establishing themselves as the 'cornerstone' of the bitcoin world.  They will probably be completely out of business soon, while the Western exchanges will continue to thrive.  Sorry to rub salt in the wound, but the Chinese need to stop deluding themselves into believing that bitcoin won't survive without their involvement.  We want the Chinese onboard just like we want the rest of the world onboard, but so far I haven't seen proper leadership from there.  All I can say is, prove us in the West wrong.
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:59:59 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 01:27:30 AM by zhangweiwu

Seriously?  Are the Chinese for real, or just making this crap up to entertain themselves?  The height of hubris and arrogance.  If anything has been a failure so far, it's the Chinese exchanges establishing themselves as the 'cornerstone' of the bitcoin world.  They will probably be completely out of business soon, while the Western exchanges continue to thrive.  Sorry to rub salt in the wound, but the Chinese need to stop deluding themselves into believing that bitcoin won't survive without their involvement.  We want the Chinese onboard just like we want the rest of the world onboard, but so far I haven't seen proper leadership from there.

I feel you did not finish reading that article. But I assume many others don't neither, so here is a teaser of that article:

As a reporter, I enjoying the intellectual achievement of identifying hubris on both sides:) And I enjoy reporting it to both direction:) What you say about sillicon valley's indifference to Alibaba, world's biggest IPO? Not hubris? And put in consideration that Alibaba is a height of hubris themselves - that is, you (sillicon valley) don't shit he (alibaba) who doesn't shit anyone but Chinese government, and you don't shit Chinese government, ain't you (sillicon velley) a height of hubris? Quite so in Chinese eyes. If you talk ebay or amazone as mainstream (while in practise alibaba is bigger than these two competitor combined), they also would reply starting with "Are the Americans for real, or just making this crap up to entertain themselves?" Another example is Tencent. I won't keep listing.

Notice that Bitcoin Foundation did fail in the goal they vowed, the very line about "protect Bitcoin" - they did nothing useful in both Gox fiasco and China clash, but Bit Foundation did nothing useful to both case neither - in fact, Bit Foundation's effort on the Bitcoin 2014 Global Summit is counter-productive for Bitcoin in China, due to the political attention it attracted (they didn't see it coming). PBOC knows Bitcoin 2014 Global Summit is an event 'by the Chinese, for the Chinese, of the Chinese' and they know they are solving internal problems. No one wins the 'protect Bitcoin' competition.

The King of King of hubris is Chinese governmental newspaper "Global Times", but read the Chinese edition please for really good laughters, English edition caters English readership and English hubris and you just feel at home reading it, no entertainment. Too unfortunately Google Transalate doesn't handle Chinese acceptablly, and when human translated it all the funs are gone. I perhaps am one of the few to deliver Chinese in English without 'cater' for readership: I hope that provoking article opens the eyes of my English readers.

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:26:30 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 01:58:53 AM by Torque

Seriously?  Are the Chinese for real, or just making this crap up to entertain themselves?  The height of hubris and arrogance.  If anything has been a failure so far, it's the Chinese exchanges establishing themselves as the 'cornerstone' of the bitcoin world.  They will probably be completely out of business soon, while the Western exchanges continue to thrive.  Sorry to rub salt in the wound, but the Chinese need to stop deluding themselves into believing that bitcoin won't survive without their involvement.  We want the Chinese onboard just like we want the rest of the world onboard, but so far I haven't seen proper leadership from there.

As a reporter, I enjoying the intellectual achievement of identifying hubris on both sides:) And I enjoy reporting it to both direction:) What you say about sillicon valley's indifference to Alibaba, world's biggest IPO? Not hubris? And put in consideration that Alibaba is a height of hubris themselves.  Notice that Bitcoin Foundation did fail in the goal they vowed, the very line about "protect Bitcoin" - they did nothing useful in both Gox fiasco and China clash, but Bit Foundation did nothing useful to both case neither - in fact, Bit Foundation's effort on the Bitcoin 2014 Global Summit is counter-productive for Bitcoin in China, due to the political attention it attracted (they didn't see it coming). PBOC knows Bitcoin 2014 Global Summit is an event 'by the Chinese, for the Chinese, of the Chinese' and they know they are solving internal problems. No one wins the 'protect Bitcoin' competition.

The King of King of hubris is Chinese governmental newspaper "Global Times", but read the Chinese edition please for really good laughters, English edition caters English readership and English hubris and you just feel at home reading it, no entertainment. Too unfortunately Google Transalate doesn't handle Chinese acceptablly, and when human translated it all the funs are gone. I perhaps am one of the few to deliver Chinese in English without 'cater' for readership: I hope that provoking article opens the eyes of my English readers.

Haha, I'm laughing because I'm really understanding what you mean.  Thank you sincerely for taking the time to debate with me on this topic, it is appreciated.  By the way, I'm actually rooting for Alibaba, I think it can become a major world player.  In the West we welcome healthy competition, it is the survival of the fittest that wins here, even if from another country.

There was nothing that the Bitcoin Foundation could do to protect anyone from the Mt. Gox fiasco.  Firstly that is not their role as they don't have such power, and secondly the way it played out we call it the "free market" in the West, free and pure from overhanded Government protectionism and regulation.  That may change in the future with more regulated Western exchanges, but many bitcoiners were not surprised at all that Mt. Gox was insolvent and running a Ponzi scheme.  Especially because the owner was an incompetent, lazy half wit with no business skills whatsoever (even his technical skills were severely lacking) that needed to be run out of business in order for bitcoin to thrive long term.  It's time for bitcoin to grow up and put its big boy pants on.

Here's the thing that most U.S. bitcoiners, and maybe those from other countries may not readily admit but it's true: we definitely WANT China to be part of this bitcoin grand experiment.  The truth is we want the whole world involved in bitcoin, no matter the country or culture.  A currency similar to the Euro or the Brixton Pound, but orders of magnitude better.  A currency to break down the barriers and borders that lie between cultures, a private form of money that no one government or centralized entity can ultimately control.  A currency to connect all of us, and foster a sense of world community working together, as opposed to competing with each other.  That is the vision of bitcoin.

Again, we ultimately want China onboard.  We really do. But if the Chinese goverment and PBOC intends to "make bitcoin an enemy", then we would rather China re-evaluate their involvement long term.  Because it is going to take a head on war or some pretty clever thinking (sly fox?) for the Chinese exchanges to ensure their survival in the future.  Bitcoin is going to inevitably expand exponentially across the globe, and the price is going to increase exponentially as well.  With or without China involved.  So the question is, are the Chinese exchanges prepared to ensure their long term survival?  What is their backup plan? (In the U.S. we refer to it as plan B, or even C)   Grin
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:34:55 AM

My theory for the Chinese exchanges' plan B: Move offshore. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=606747.0

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
tripleblock

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:03:57 AM

self-regulation equals no regulation
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:52:31 PM

I have a question.

Since China manufactures just about everything; including chips: how is the world supposed to get mining hardware in the face of a Chinese crack-down? What prevents Chinese authorities from seizing mining inventory and using it to attack the network?

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: