Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:29:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin changed my life  (Read 3815 times)
pirsquared (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:00:01 PM

Great job OP. It looks like you got pretty lucky with the short term speculation. Although I'm pro bitcoin, I also want to point out that some people have lost devastating amounts when buying at the peak, contrasting to your incredible gains.

Thank you. I certainly got lucky with short term speculation. When I first got into bitcoin, no one in my region had ever heard of it. I still remember buying my first pizza for friends using a Gyft card. Folks still thought I was nuts for sinking real money into play money. This year; I bought a new smartphone, a vacuum cleaner, and some non-perishable foodstuffs; all with BTC. My family still thinks I'm nuts. I no longer have a bank account. I operate solely on BTC and paper.

I stopped "trading" bitcoin in fall of 2013, and began pursuing a goal of accumulation of more BTC. The ways that facilitated accumulation were as follows:

1. Localbitcoins.com: Selling BTC at a premium and rebuying immediately at the current rate is an excellent way to increase holdings. This way I was able to increase my holdings by about 10% with each trade. However, I stopped this activity when sellers were being held criminally accountable for what the buyers were doing with the BTC. It sucks that this happened; but I don't want to be the victim of an undercover that hints at whatever his alleged nefarious intentions are with the purchased bitcoin.

2. Selling to individuals outside of a centralized website (occasionally using craigslist). See #1.

3. Buying and HODLing. This is never a bad strategy.

4. Speculating (short to mid term) with about 15% of my holdings. This is by far the most risky way to increase holdings, but if timed right; the speculator looks like a genius. Follow the big players (market makers) and mimic their plays. I no longer have a stop loss due to a change in my financial situation. I just buy more when the price declines.

5. Selling things for BTC. This usually requires trust between parties or a trusted third party acting as escrow. Multisig escrow is outside the understanding of many folks.

Never buy BTC with money you need for bills or emergencies. If you choose to speculate; the speculator should be committed to the purchase longer term. BTC is rarely lower 12 months later than the date it is purchased. Be responsible. Open an exchange account. It's easy. Use a reputable one.

Warren Buffett has spoken out against bitcoin in recent interviews. However, one of my favorite Buffett quotes involves the relative unimportance of timing compared to the actual event. It goes something like this (paraphrased of course), "If you know what will happen in a given market, it matters not when it will happen."

So much emphasis is placed on the timing of a trade involving BTC that we can lose focus on the "what" we believe will happen. In short: If you don't think bitcoin will be around in the mid-term, don't buy any at all. If you think that the technology will continue to gain traction and utility, and thus value; buy without consideration of price.

If you HODL store it CODL!
pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:06:36 PM

Bitcoin has ruined my life.

I did the ASIC pre-order thing last november can't say my life has been too great since then, what a hit....

What's your story, ASICs, Gox, gambling, silk road, pandas, bad actors of some colour?

I've never mined a single coin. I opened a Campbx account and bought $800 (40 - 50 BTC at the time). I executed one trade on Gox in 2013 and didn't like the direction the company was going. I prefer a door I can kick in should my funds be mismanaged.

I'm sorry to hear that you are one of many hit by poor procedures practiced by many mining manufacturers. Any time a "get richer quicker" opportunity comes along; bad actors are certain to be one of the first to market. I'm not tech savvy enough to have fallen into the ASIC trap. For once, my ignorance paid off. I hope you get repaid in some way.

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:14:21 PM

Bitcoin has made the needy rich and the greedy poor.

Quoted for truth. The thing that excites me is not so much the wealth it could bring to me personally in the future but the amazing things it can and will do in the third world. Giving the incredibly poor of the world access to the worldwide economy will be a revolution in human rights and dignity as well.     

I too am excited for the opportunity that Bitcoin presents to the under-banked in any country. I'm in the US and it is remarkable how many GenXYers and millennials do not have bank accounts. The low transaction fees and relatively high transaction speeds can really increase both the velocity and amount of money that can move across continents. This is one of the best things about using bitcoin.

boopy265420
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

You are lucky enough just like others who kept their faith in Bitcoin from very start.
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:43:28 PM

What does "a few greenbacks" translate into in $? Must be more than a few if your standard of living changed from a 1000% roi..

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

What does "a few greenbacks" translate into in $? Must be more than a few if your standard of living changed from a 1000% roi..

I had about $2500 to my name when I first bought $800 worth. I sold much of my holdings to reap about $7000. I was living out of my car and staying with friends and family at this point. Previously going from making 6 fgures a year to zero. I bought back in with most of this money after the bubble of 2013. It didn't take much to change my standard of living from what it was when I began.

Trading on exchanges and selling at a premium to non-traders earned me more BTC. I also got an unexpected windfall of cash (unrelated to bitcoin) later in the year (2013) that kept my hands out of my BTC holdings. Buying back in after the 2013 bubble, reinvesting proceeds from BTC sales to non-traders, and holding are the three best decisions I have ever made.

Each time I sold BTC, I bought 10% more regardless of price. I now have no car payment, rent a home with a yard; and my only three bills are car insurance, internet, and phone. I enjoy a life free from financial worry, albeit far from luxurious. I neither want nor need luxury. A good quality of life for me is one free from financial concerns. I can maintian this standard of living for quite some time because of bitcoin, luck (variance), and good decisions.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:47:51 PM

Then the new rich will grow greedy and we need a new financial innovation to solve that problem. And so the cycle goes on... Cheesy
The innovation that solves greed is not a financial one. It will be an innovation of collective compassion; it will be the end of capitalism.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
bitcoincal

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:25:24 PM

Great story!  Wink

1CuWECCUQwkmQTpJdXd6Ga5tXKoJ5f8tPb
GetToKnowBitcoin

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:15:11 PM

Thank you for sharing. Cool story.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Then the new rich will grow greedy and we need a new financial innovation to solve that problem. And so the cycle goes on... Cheesy
The innovation that solves greed is not a financial one. It will be an innovation of collective compassion; it will be the end of capitalism.

Greed can't be solved. Greed lies in human nature - it's driven by the desire to survive in face of competition around limited resources which is shared by all species. That's how evolution works.

Capitalism is not bad. Capitalism favors the smart and industrious over the dumb and lazy. And that's a good selection. Of cause there are cases when capitalism fails due to an abuse of rights. But overall capitalism offers much more freedom to the individual than any alternative.
shivesh

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:03:56 PM

Like the story  Cheesy
Dipt

Activity: 40

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:09:59 PM

Good story, happy for you. But you had some luck buying early and luck again selling high then to buy back in on a lower price. Many of the readers here bought late or are still holding and lost quite some money.

Well I to think with all the extra's bitcoin is bringing (merchants/atm,etc) it's still early, so just hodl on to the coins you have. But that's just what I do haha don't know if this is the right thing to do.
Nathan101

Activity: 130

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Such an inspiring story. I must say that every successful trader of this forum must share their success story. It will inspire a lot like new member of this forum.

nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:25:08 PM

If only I had the initial wealth to invest originally. Ive been around bitcoins since they were 5 bucks a pop. Had I had enough money to invest, id be a rich son of a bitch right now.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:27:31 PM

If only I had the initial wealth to invest originally. Ive been around bitcoins since they were 5 bucks a pop. Had I had enough money to invest, id be a rich son of a bitch right now.
Had I heard of BTC some more years ago, I am sure I would have mined them for fun and wouldn't have just sold them. I also would be rich now Wink

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
vrm86

Activity: 676

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:24:19 PM

Regret that I forgot about Bitcoin after early 2011 crash, glad that I've made some bucks in 2013/14 altcoin goldrush  Smiley Now I'm ivesting all BTC I can get in several cryptos, but in longrun I treat this like Bitcoin deposit.
neighborrr

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:40:55 PM

I really enjoyed your story! Thanks for sharing.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:57:23 PM

Bitcoin has made the needy rich and the greedy poor.

Dude that's profound!
bitcerto

Activity: 151

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:58:34 PM

2. Spend some BTC on things you were already going to buy and make sure to buy back with the cash you otherwise would have spent on the product you purchased.

Fully agreed. Enough places accept Bitcoin now where we can all start shifting our default online purchase currency over to Bitcoin. It helps Bitcoin in many ways that I doubt I have to list for you fine folk.
Crindon

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:48:02 AM

Bitcoin can seem harder to spend than cash because of it's nature and the status of the infrastructure around it. It will take time, but with companies like CoinKite, it will become easier and easier. On the flipside, it would be easier to spend BTC online than it is to spend cash.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: