Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:05:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin changed my life  (Read 3815 times)
pirsquared (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 06:23:40 PM

Firstly, I have been a member of this board for quite some time. I lost my credentials, so a created a new account because I have something to say or would like to participate in ongoing discussions. Although I am happy that the newbie forum is no longer required; it did have some utility preventing spam and FUD.

Secondly, Bitcoin changed my life. How so; you may ask?

Before the 2013 bubble; I was relatively broke, jobless, and without a steady place to live. I heard about Bitcoin on a popular "news" show on a conservative cable network that someone else was watching. I then used the oracle (Google) to discern what opportunities may be available in this space. I had a few greenbacks left when BTC was under $20. The decision was made to buy. BTC hit $260ish, and I sold at an average of $190ish. I held 15% of the BTC I had purchased and spent another 2.5% on pizza and Gyft cards. It was a quasi-gamble that paid off.

Most of you know that BTC crashed swiftly upon reaching the peak in 2013. I was able to buy back on the way down at an average price of $65. By this time, I was able to afford to buy and hold without fear of going hungry. With the windfall of cash, I enjoyed a much higher standard of living than which I had grown accustomed. I learned something about myself, and many other people: I don't manage my cash very well. Also around this time, I received a windfall of cash (outside of BTC) while maintaining a fairly low standard of living. BTC was hovering pretty low and I continued to buy when people were bearish.

What is this cash problem? It spends so easily that it evaporates quickly. Fact: it is more difficult to spend bitcoin than it is to spend cash. This has resulted in me using bitcoin primarily as a storage of wealth. I must confess that I sold a bit of BTC on the China $1000+ bubble. I also started buying back at $800ish, and have continued to buy on the way down until recently at $400ish. Am I "worth" 1/2 as much now as I was in January? Simply; yes. However, I have a hell of a savings account that no one can take. I also believe that my savings account will be bigger in one year no matter what bitcoin does in the interim.

There are a few things that I would like for all bitcoiners to do or at least think about doing:

1. Buy more. But, BTC is going down; right? This, my friends is the time to buy IMO. So much is developing around BTC that I do not see it devaluing to any greater extent.
2. Spend some BTC on things you were already going to buy and make sure to buy back with the cash you otherwise would have spent on the product you purchased.
3. Give some to friends, family, and other good causes. Make it a non-trivial amount. This fosters adoption more than any other activity. My mom got bitcoin for Mother's Day.
4. Don't speculate for purely speculative reasons with money that you need for other things.
5. Talk with local businesses about accepting your coin for their product. Small business listens.

Bitcoin is like most things. It is not Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian. It is not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or atheist. It is not white, black, brown, or any other race. Bitcoin is what you make it; much like your own life. It is currency and information for everyone. We have yet to realize the true potential contained therein.

If you HODL store it CODL!
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:00:05 PM

Great story, Thanks for sharing.
a7594li

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:53:00 AM

Bitcoin will make you become more rich. Wink

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀████████▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ██████████   ▀▀██▄
▄██▀     ████████████     ▀██▄
██▀      ██████████████      ▀██
██▀      ████████████████      ▀██
██▀      ██████████████████      ▀██
▄██      █████████  █████████      ██▄
██      █████████    █████████      ██
██     █████████      █████████     ██
██    █████████        █████████    ██
██   █████████          █████████   ██
▀██ ██████████████████████████████ ██▀
████████████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████████   █████████
████████████████████     ███████
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  .A.P.H.E.L.I.O.N.  [    ] 
▄████████████████████████▄
████████████▀     ████████
███████████       ████████
███████████    ███████████
████████          ████████
████████          ████████
▀████████████████████████▀

██████████████████████████
████▀  ▀██████████████████
████▄  ▄██████████████████
████    ██    █▀    ▀█████
████    ██     ▄▄     ████
████    ██    ████    ████

███████████████▀▀▀▀███████
████ ▀███████▀      ▀▀▀███
████    ▀▀██▀        ▄████
████▄               ██████
█████▄             ███████
██████▄           ████████
███▀██▀▀        ▄█████████
████▄▄       ▄▄███████████

██████████████████▀▀   ███
██████████████▀▀  ▄█▀ ▄███
██████████▀▀    ▄█▀   ████
██████▀▀      ▄█▀    ▄████
██▀▀        ▄█▀      █████
████▄▄    ▄█▀       ▄█████
████████▄█▀         ██████
██████████   ▄     ▄██████
██████████ ▄████▄▄ ███████
  ▶  Whitepaper
▶  Website
▶  Register
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:08:28 AM

Mine too, but because of a change in my wealth. For reasons far more substantial. I see the potential...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
fatty_but_happy

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:15:18 AM

I am very happy for you!
Good luck! I hope the Bitcoin will make you rich  Wink
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:58:52 AM

I love the passion and the story, good stuff

In a much smaller way, bitcoin has changed my life too..

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:18:21 AM

Great story thanks for sharing, it kinda changed my life too. Once I started buying Bitcoin from $10 all the way up to $100 everyone told me that I will lose all my money, but the opposite happened.
In let's say 1 year time I made more money than I would do with 10 years of working.

Hope it will change our life again when it hits $5000 or so.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 10:22:46 AM

Great job OP. It looks like you got pretty lucky with the short term speculation. Although I'm pro bitcoin, I also want to point out that some people have lost devastating amounts when buying at the peak, contrasting to your incredible gains.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:32:51 AM

Bitcoin has ruined my life.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 10:50:00 AM

nice story, good to hear that.

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:15:56 AM

I did the ASIC pre-order thing last november can't say my life has been too great since then, what a hit....

What's your story, ASICs, Gox, gambling, silk road, pandas, bad actors of some colour?

vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:31:35 AM

Bitcoin has made the needy rich and the greedy poor.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:35:58 AM

Firstly, I have been a member of this board for quite some time. I lost my credentials, so a created a new account because I have something to say or would like to participate in ongoing discussions. Although I am happy that the newbie forum is no longer required; it did have some utility preventing spam and FUD.

Before the 2013 bubble; I was relatively broke, jobless, and without a steady place to live. I heard about Bitcoin on a popular "news" show on a conservative cable network that someone else was watching. I then used the oracle (Google) to discern what opportunities may be available in this space. I had a few greenbacks left when BTC was under $20. The decision was made to buy. BTC hit $260ish, and I sold at an average of $190ish. I held 15% of the BTC I had purchased and spent another 2.5% on pizza and Gyft cards. It was a quasi-gamble that paid off.

Most of you know that BTC crashed swiftly upon reaching the peak in 2013. I was able to buy back on the way down at an average price of $65. By this time, I was able to afford to buy and hold without fear of going hungry. With the windfall of cash, I enjoyed a much higher standard of living than which I had grown accustomed. I learned something about myself, and many other people: I don't manage my cash very well. Also around this time, I received a windfall of cash (outside of BTC) while maintaining a fairly low standard of living. BTC was hovering pretty low and I continued to buy when people were bearish.

What is this cash problem? It spends so easily that it evaporates quickly. Fact: it is more difficult to spend bitcoin than it is to spend cash. This has resulted in me using bitcoin primarily as a storage of wealth. I must confess that I sold a bit of BTC on the China $1000+ bubble. I also started buying back at $800ish, and have continued to buy on the way down until recently at $400ish. Am I "worth" 1/2 as much now as I was in January? Simply; yes. However, I have a hell of a savings account that no one can take. I also believe that my savings account will be bigger in one year no matter what bitcoin does in the interim.

There are a few things that I would like for all bitcoiners to do or at least think about doing:

1. Buy more. But, BTC is going down; right? This, my friends is the time to buy IMO. So much is developing around BTC that I do not see it devaluing to any greater extent.
2. Spend some BTC on things you were already going to buy and make sure to buy back with the cash you otherwise would have spent on the product you purchased.
3. Give some to friends, family, and other good causes. Make it a non-trivial amount. This fosters adoption more than any other activity. My mom got bitcoin for Mother's Day.
4. Don't speculate for purely speculative reasons with money that you need for other things.
5. Talk with local businesses about accepting your coin for their product. Small business listens.

Bitcoin is like most things. It is not Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian. It is not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or atheist. It is not white, black, brown, or any other race. Bitcoin is what you make it; much like your own life. It is currency and information for everyone. We have yet to realize the true potential contained therein.

Thank you ...because of strong hands like you, we can safely say, bitcoin is here to stay. Thanks again Smiley

IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:37:39 AM

Inspiring story from OP.

Then the new rich will grow greedy and we need a new financial innovation to solve that problem. And so the cycle goes on... Cheesy

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

Proof or didn't happen  Cheesy
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:17:49 PM

Share your story, what happened?
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:28:32 PM

Always nice to get the real time experiences from somebody who has been high and low on the markets.  I suspect your correct and will be rewarded by your decisions to buy on the way down of the most recent dip.
krishatnet

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

Great story thanks for sharing your bitcoins experience with us.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:04:05 PM

Quoted for truth. The thing that excites me is not so much the wealth it could bring to me personally in the future but the amazing things it can and will do in the third world. Giving the incredibly poor of the world access to the worldwide economy will be a revolution in human rights and dignity as well.     

Davis14

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:37:22 PM

Quoted for truth. The thing that excites me is not so much the wealth it could bring to me personally in the future but the amazing things it can and will do in the third world. Giving the incredibly poor of the world access to the worldwide economy will be a revolution in human rights and dignity as well.     

Agreed it will change currency forever especially once it stabilizes.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: