Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin changed my life  (Read 3815 times)
ENEWIT

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:38:00 AM

I liked your story! Thank you for sharing it.
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:54:08 AM

Firstly, I have been a member of this board for quite some time. I lost my credentials, so a created a new account because I have something to say or would like to participate in ongoing discussions. Although I am happy that the newbie forum is no longer required; it did have some utility preventing spam and FUD.

Secondly, Bitcoin changed my life. How so; you may ask?

Before the 2013 bubble; I was relatively broke, jobless, and without a steady place to live. I heard about Bitcoin on a popular "news" show on a conservative cable network that someone else was watching. I then used the oracle (Google) to discern what opportunities may be available in this space. I had a few greenbacks left when BTC was under $20. The decision was made to buy. BTC hit $260ish, and I sold at an average of $190ish. I held 15% of the BTC I had purchased and spent another 2.5% on pizza and Gyft cards. It was a quasi-gamble that paid off.

Most of you know that BTC crashed swiftly upon reaching the peak in 2013. I was able to buy back on the way down at an average price of $65. By this time, I was able to afford to buy and hold without fear of going hungry. With the windfall of cash, I enjoyed a much higher standard of living than which I had grown accustomed. I learned something about myself, and many other people: I don't manage my cash very well. Also around this time, I received a windfall of cash (outside of BTC) while maintaining a fairly low standard of living. BTC was hovering pretty low and I continued to buy when people were bearish.

What is this cash problem? It spends so easily that it evaporates quickly. Fact: it is more difficult to spend bitcoin than it is to spend cash. This has resulted in me using bitcoin primarily as a storage of wealth. I must confess that I sold a bit of BTC on the China $1000+ bubble. I also started buying back at $800ish, and have continued to buy on the way down until recently at $400ish. Am I "worth" 1/2 as much now as I was in January? Simply; yes. However, I have a hell of a savings account that no one can take. I also believe that my savings account will be bigger in one year no matter what bitcoin does in the interim.

There are a few things that I would like for all bitcoiners to do or at least think about doing:

1. Buy more. But, BTC is going down; right? This, my friends is the time to buy IMO. So much is developing around BTC that I do not see it devaluing to any greater extent.
2. Spend some BTC on things you were already going to buy and make sure to buy back with the cash you otherwise would have spent on the product you purchased.
3. Give some to friends, family, and other good causes. Make it a non-trivial amount. This fosters adoption more than any other activity. My mom got bitcoin for Mother's Day.
4. Don't speculate for purely speculative reasons with money that you need for other things.
5. Talk with local businesses about accepting your coin for their product. Small business listens.

Bitcoin is like most things. It is not Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian. It is not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or atheist. It is not white, black, brown, or any other race. Bitcoin is what you make it; much like your own life. It is currency and information for everyone. We have yet to realize the true potential contained therein.
Lots of people are just hearing about Bitcoin for the first or second time, Sharing you story here on this forum  help people see what bitcoin can do for them personally.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:01:34 AM

Firstly, I have been a member of this board for quite some time. I lost my credentials, so a created a new account because I have something to say or would like to participate in ongoing discussions. Although I am happy that the newbie forum is no longer required; it did have some utility preventing spam and FUD.

Secondly, Bitcoin changed my life. How so; you may ask?

Before the 2013 bubble; I was relatively broke, jobless, and without a steady place to live. I heard about Bitcoin on a popular "news" show on a conservative cable network that someone else was watching. I then used the oracle (Google) to discern what opportunities may be available in this space. I had a few greenbacks left when BTC was under $20. The decision was made to buy. BTC hit $260ish, and I sold at an average of $190ish. I held 15% of the BTC I had purchased and spent another 2.5% on pizza and Gyft cards. It was a quasi-gamble that paid off.

Most of you know that BTC crashed swiftly upon reaching the peak in 2013. I was able to buy back on the way down at an average price of $65. By this time, I was able to afford to buy and hold without fear of going hungry. With the windfall of cash, I enjoyed a much higher standard of living than which I had grown accustomed. I learned something about myself, and many other people: I don't manage my cash very well. Also around this time, I received a windfall of cash (outside of BTC) while maintaining a fairly low standard of living. BTC was hovering pretty low and I continued to buy when people were bearish.

What is this cash problem? It spends so easily that it evaporates quickly. Fact: it is more difficult to spend bitcoin than it is to spend cash. This has resulted in me using bitcoin primarily as a storage of wealth. I must confess that I sold a bit of BTC on the China $1000+ bubble. I also started buying back at $800ish, and have continued to buy on the way down until recently at $400ish. Am I "worth" 1/2 as much now as I was in January? Simply; yes. However, I have a hell of a savings account that no one can take. I also believe that my savings account will be bigger in one year no matter what bitcoin does in the interim.

There are a few things that I would like for all bitcoiners to do or at least think about doing:

1. Buy more. But, BTC is going down; right? This, my friends is the time to buy IMO. So much is developing around BTC that I do not see it devaluing to any greater extent.
2. Spend some BTC on things you were already going to buy and make sure to buy back with the cash you otherwise would have spent on the product you purchased.
3. Give some to friends, family, and other good causes. Make it a non-trivial amount. This fosters adoption more than any other activity. My mom got bitcoin for Mother's Day.
4. Don't speculate for purely speculative reasons with money that you need for other things.
5. Talk with local businesses about accepting your coin for their product. Small business listens.

Bitcoin is like most things. It is not Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian. It is not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or atheist. It is not white, black, brown, or any other race. Bitcoin is what you make it; much like your own life. It is currency and information for everyone. We have yet to realize the true potential contained therein.
Lots of people are just hearing about Bitcoin for the first or second time, Sharing you story here on this forum  help people see what bitcoin can do for them personally.
Agreed - bitcoin provides benefits to society not just wealth
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:27:45 AM

Always nice to see how Bitcoin helped some struggling people get over their problems.

I'm sure we will see more of these stories once Bitcoin gains mainstream adoption, since we're still in early phase and we're all early adopters.
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:20:51 PM

Bitcoin has made the needy rich and the greedy poor.

Dude that's profound!

That is indeed an profound sentiment. A lot of it has to do with timing as well. If people got in early, then they got a low price and significant gains. We are at that point again at $450/BTC. There is another run up and the needy can get rich again.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:39:35 PM

Bitcoin hasn't changed my life yet, but I'm new to this .... I remember reading a story about some dude who bought Bitcoin early on when it was way cheap, and he now owns an apartment complex or something. That's one guy who, if he's smart about his new fortune, will never be on welfare.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

Bitcoin did not make me rich but I learned a lot about how money works and how bad fiat is for us. Thanks Bitcoin.

After a nasty experience with my bank it also gives me a lot of solace that there is an alternative out there so that we (theoretically at least) do not need banks and bank accounts.  Smiley

Truth is the new hatespeech.
dbshck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1616

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

Well Bitcoin, not yet, change my life nor make me rich Cheesy but yeah, through bitcoin, i can make some $$$ and get rich knowledges about many things, like trading, latest technology, business, marketing etc Cheesy

I also believe that my savings account will be bigger in one year no matter what bitcoin does in the interim.

Agreed. I mostly saved bitcoin that i got because i saw bitcoin is in great development Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:22:31 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing with us your story.
I was just talking with my brother the other day and brought up the fact that everyone that already has enough bitcoin to become millionaires will change the world because if they were smart enough to figure out bitcoin and see its future value and utility probably have a few good idea’s of their own or at least think in a way where they will be able to see value in ideas. It will be a really exciting to see what crazy technology we will see once bitcoin millionaires start spending there money.

Mr Tea

Activity: 270

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:27:00 AM

I always love to read inspiring bitcoin stories. I hope I see many more.

yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:27:50 AM

Hopefully bitcoin will change all our lives eventually and also many other peoples around the world. I really think bitcoin could be almost as revolutionary as the internet. We just need to give it time and watch it grow.
littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:28:03 PM

It is nice to hear your story
shadowphoenix

Activity: 50

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:33:30 PM

interesting story. sure changed mine too...for the better for sure. Smiley
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:19:55 AM

I m really thankful for sharing ur experience. we r hearing lot about bitcoins but real examples really give u the courage to proceed with it

psychospring

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:19:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Cheesy
Cream

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:42:53 PM

Great story, do people want to make money out of bitcoin or they just want to use bitcoins as a payment method? I think both and we can at least profit from bitcoin at the current situation doesn't matter where It will go.
peperapijames

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:15:14 AM

great story!!!!....and thanx for sharing!!!!!!its uplifting for newbies like me to read such stories..it makes this bitcoin business more tangible..!!!
Etanllah

Activity: 426

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:43:18 PM

Thanks for the great story! Plus I like the steps that you suggest for people, especially sharing/spreading bitcoins!
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:52:13 PM

Cool really inspired Smiley

The bitcoin prices are in higher side now

Not wise to buy currently

Well, its cheap if you compare it when the price is 1000$, I believe Bitcoin is worth way more so time to buy in!!

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:38:20 PM

Who knows the price will touch 1K again ?

I start having doubts. People are wandering into different interesting altcoins, some of which are really innovative, not many, but capital is being diversified from Bitcoin. Bitcoin should hit $1k, but not before September or even November-December, I believe. It takes too much capital to move Bitcoin compared to altcoins.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: