Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:34:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Copying a visa card?  (Read 1368 times)
yakuza699 (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:21:14 PM

Hello everyone, i want to ask if this would be possible if i would send you the card (anonymous visa prepaid card) or it's info  and you would create a card just like i sent to you and is it possible to double-spend  then i have both cards i mean two people come to different ATM's in different parts of the world insert the card same time and withdraw all money that is in card same time? Is there any other way to double-spend the money that is in those cards (not physical ) if so pm me. I would be happy to pay 30$=0.069BTC as same as card costs for copying the card.

Best regards,
yakuza699

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:22:55 PM

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about fourty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:27:43 PM

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about forty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.

Well said sir ! Smiley

I just wonder if it is possible for a hacker to use 3D printer to replicate a VISA/MasterCard ?

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:29:08 PM

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about forty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.

Well said sir ! Smiley

I just wonder if it is possible for a hacker to use 3D printer to replicate a VISA/MasterCard ?

No because you cannot reproduce the magnetic stripe correctly. And you don't need a hacker to use a 3D printer.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:34:25 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 05:55:28 PM by DeathAndTaxes

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about forty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.

Well said sir ! Smiley

Well I am not going to help you engage in credit card fraud but it is trivially easy to make bit for bit exact duplicates of magnetic based credit cards.   They have absolutely no security.  It would be like a bitcoin wallet with the private key written right on the front and broadcast in plaintext to anyone you buy goods from (or anyone else who happens to be listening).  

This is a big reason the industry is moving towards chip & pin based cards, magnetic based cards are horribly insecure.
byt411

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:36:02 PM

Well said sir ! Smiley

Well I am not going to help you engage in credit card fraud but it is trivially easy to produce fake magnetic based credit cards.   They essentially have absolutely no security (like bitcoin wallet with the private key written right on the front and broadcast in plaintext).  This is a big reason the industry is moving to chip & pin based cards because magnetic based cards are horribly insecure.

I seriously think that being able to use credit cards online is a terrible idea. At a physical store, they will at least request a signature, but online, no signature, no password, just have Card No., Expiry date, CVV and you're all set.
newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:39:04 PM

Well said sir ! Smiley

No because you cannot reproduce the magnetic stripe correctly. And you don't need a hacker to use a 3D printer.

Where did I say I need a hacker ?  I said if it is possible for a hacker !!! U r seriously...

newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:40:03 PM

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about forty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.

Well said sir ! Smiley

Well I am not going to help you engage in credit card fraud but it is trivially easy to produce fake magnetic based credit cards.   They have absolutely no security.  It would be like a bitcoin wallet with the private key written right on the front and broadcast in plaintext to anyone you buy goods from (or anyone else who happens to be listening).  

This is a big reason the industry is moving towards chip & pin based cards, magnetic based cards are horribly insecure.

So, does it mean a 3D printer can reproduce a magnetic tape ?

byt411

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:40:29 PM

Well said sir ! Smiley

Well I am not going to help you engage in credit card fraud but it is trivially easy to produce fake magnetic based credit cards.   They have absolutely no security.  It would be like a bitcoin wallet with the private key written right on the front and broadcast in plaintext to anyone you buy goods from (or anyone else who happens to be listening).  

So, does it mean a 3D printer can reproduce a magnetic tape ?

No, but it can be made quite easily.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:54:20 PM

How can a 3d printer produce magnetic tape when the consumer grade printers only use plastic spindles?
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:22:27 PM

I seriously think that being able to use credit cards online is a terrible idea. At a physical store, they will at least request a signature, but online, no signature, no password, just have Card No., Expiry date, CVV and you're all set.

My bank doesn't allow transactions from foreign countries without permission, also my billing zip code and the shipping zip code has to match when purchasing online. If you're going to use a dummy card why not just get a CC programmer and make the numbers anything you want, I seen it on mythbusters once.

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 06:56:51 AM

Magstripe cards seem pretty easy to clone (though I've never done it), since reader/writers for them are relatively inexpensive. I've been planning to pick on up to play with for a while. They aren't currently 3D-printable, because of the magstripe, but a pack of blank cards only costs a few cents to a few dollars depending on the type and where you purchase them so it's not really an issue. In total, starting from scratch, duplicating a card would probably cost you around $30-$80 and wouldn't need much in the way of computer skills. You won't be able to double-spend the funds though, for the same reason that duplicating your house key doesn't give you an extra house; it's simply another way to access your funds.

Chip-and-pin cards however, as used in Europe, seem to be more difficult to clone. I haven't done much research on them though so I'm not certain about that.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:24:34 AM

Magstripe cards seem pretty easy to clone (though I've never done it), since reader/writers for them are relatively inexpensive. I've been planning to pick on up to play with for a while. They aren't currently 3D-printable, because of the magstripe, but a pack of blank cards only costs a few cents to a few dollars depending on the type and where you purchase them so it's not really an issue. In total, starting from scratch, duplicating a card would probably cost you around $30-$80 and wouldn't need much in the way of computer skills. You won't be able to double-spend the funds though, for the same reason that duplicating your house key doesn't give you an extra house; it's simply another way to access your funds.

Chip-and-pin cards however, as used in Europe, seem to be more difficult to clone. I haven't done much research on them though so I'm not certain about that.

I think it's also worth bringing up why people clone cards: it's not to clone their own, but to swipe someone else's and clone that. Getting the strip info, for example, could be done through social engineering without the person realizing what's happening. I guess the best way to equate it is to stealing the number off a credit card to buy things online (the goal is to use it without the other person knowing the info was even taken), with the difference being that you're creating a physical copy instead of just a textual one.

I think that doing this is highly risky, though, being that pretty much anything you'd use the credit card for is traced in one way or another.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BitPhotos

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

MTA, ACA

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:39:37 AM

Yes, like said you wouldn't be able to double spend you funds if you did infact replicate the card. The money isn't actually stored on the card but rather a key to where your funds are located!

If you are in need of video or film editing, PM me!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:51:26 AM

Yes, like said you wouldn't be able to double spend you funds if you did infact replicate the card. The money isn't actually stored on the card but rather a key to where your funds are located!

Yeah, that's right. Good thing the latest version of BitcoinGenerator2014 still lets you create gazillions of bitcoins for free!
byt411

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:44:35 PM

My bank doesn't allow transactions from foreign countries without permission, also my billing zip code and the shipping zip code has to match when purchasing online. If you're going to use a dummy card why not just get a CC programmer and make the numbers anything you want, I seen it on mythbusters once.

Lucky for you, we in Spain here don't have that option. Literally no security at all.
A secure password will be enough, but I have no idea why that isn't implemented.

Yeah, that's right. Good thing the latest version of BitcoinGenerator2014 still lets you create gazillions of bitcoins for free!

That thing is simply hilarious.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:45:50 PM

Lucky for you, we in Spain here don't have that option. Literally no security at all.
A secure password will be enough, but I have no idea why that isn't implemented.

I've seen sites even in the US where no security is there. I've used the card at places where they don't even need the CVC code or whatever it is on the back. And most stores here (physical) don't need to verify cards either. If you purchase less than, I think it's $25, at Walmart, for example, you don't even sign for it. Just swipe real quick and go. Same goes for gas in all cases (*some* will require a zip code, but that's rare).

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
yakuza699 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:14:17 PM

No it isn't possible because unlike some Bitcoin exchanges banks learned about the concept of ACID compliant transactions about fourty years ago.  BTW there is no money "in the card" just like there is no car hidden inside your car key.  The key and card are just access mechanisms.

Thank you for explaing it really helped, but i am still not 100% sure i mean when i read about ACID on vikipedia there were no atms mentioned only sending from A to B some errors  power loss was mentioned on it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
yakuza699 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:21:19 PM

I've seen sites even in the US where no security is there. I've used the card at places where they don't even need the CVC code or whatever it is on the back. And most stores here (physical) don't need to verify cards either. If you purchase less than, I think it's $25, at Walmart, for example, you don't even sign for it. Just swipe real quick and go. Same goes for gas in all cases (*some* will require a zip code, but that's rare).
What do you mean by here (what country) and what do you mean by ''don't need to verify cards either'' and what do you mean by ''Just swipe real quick and go'' do you mean that you just put the card in don't even enter the code and go away if so you can wait for a guest?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:25:08 PM

What do you mean by here (what country) and what do you mean by ''don't need to verify cards either'' and what do you mean by ''Just swipe real quick and go'' do you mean that you just put the card in don't even enter the code and go away if so you can wait for a guest?

We were talking about credit cards, and what I meant is that nobody ever has to see your card as long as it's under a certain dollar amount. Plus you don't have to sign anything. You can grab $31 (I'm not sure the cap, but had a purchase the other day of $30.XX) worth of stuff at Walmart, have the checkout person ring up your stuff, swipe your card in the credit card system real quick, and move on as no signature is needed and no visual verification.

Above $35 (I guess? I'm not sure) they require you to sign for it. Above like $150-200, they also have to visually inspect the card.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: