Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:22:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Richest dude in Asia, going hard on Bitcoin  (Read 3686 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:14:02 PM

The us government could definately cripple the bitcoin price if they were to flood the market with all the siezed coins they have

Yes they could. It would be a great opportunity to grab some more before things normalize again. The urge to panic when the market sneezes is part of the reason for the volatility we have seen.  

RockHound (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:16:04 PM

So he didn't actually buy bitcoins just invested in bitpay...

I would find it hard to believe, that he doesn't have at least 1BTC. The other BitPay investors also probably hold personal BTC. And by that rationale, being the biggest dawg in Asia, reckons he's got a few BTC  Cheesy

He is a bitcoin holder. He donates to Seans Outpost quite frequently. His support of bitcoin is a great thing for the crypto ecosystem.

Cheers for the info Ron, Jason King does noble work for sure.

Here's a lengthy but cool interview he did last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI7ZtX43bEY

Agreed, Sir Li Ka-shing on board, is great for crypto ecosystem. Would like to see him integrate into his many businesses though.

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Sean's Outpost. My meager donations probably don't make much of a dent but a lot of small donations is as good as 1 large one.

Good man, made a donation last year to Megan and Davi's BitcoinNotBombs. Will start sending some funds over to Jason's charity. Every little helps, all adds up  Cool
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:01:36 PM

$500,000,000 worth, that's 1,126,000 BTC  Cool

Not really. Perhaps if you're the only big player going into bitcoin and you have 1-12 month time to buy. Otherwise the first 50 millions would drive the price to the moon. If you were in a hurry, at least.

He could also slowly buy bitcoin, get a contract for the main players like bitpay, and coinbase to buy sold coins, such as if someone were to sell a product instead of bitpay selling those coins on an exchange, sell to this guy. I have also seen many threads selling high amount of coin, cash only. One was for 400k in coin alone. Cant remember the amount of coin like 10k maybe.
Kashim

Activity: 300

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:07:48 PM

hardcore lol
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:11:25 PM

The us government could definately cripple the bitcoin price if they were to flood the market with all the siezed coins they have

ain't gonna happen
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:05:32 PM

hardcore lol

Agreed  Grin

This guy lives on the same planet, but different world
Bibop

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:14:49 PM

So he didn't buy at last?

someone knows about similar events that some rich guy invest big amount on BTC? and if so what was the influence on the value?
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:30:20 PM

been mentioned before, and i think they could auction off the coins and it wouldn't affect the price that much.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:30:35 PM

Li Ka-Shing did not get so rich by being a dummy.  It is worthwhile to watch what the extremely rich do (as opposed to what they say).  I believe Li Ka-Shing is diversfying out of China and Hong Kong.  A big BTC position might be very smart.

Another great example was Warren Buffett buying the BSNF railroad a couple of years ago or so.  He called it "a bet on America", but, Jim Rickards characterized it better as a hard asset.  A hard asset that transports other hard assets...  Buffett is not stupid either.

Bitcoin, in a sense, is a hard asset as well.
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:30:43 PM

So he didn't buy at last?

someone knows about similar events that some rich guy invest big amount on BTC? and if so what was the influence on the value?

Apparently, Li Ka-shing has been in the Bitcoin game at least since December 2013. I personally reckon he's bought more since then,  considering BTC's current price and the fact a sum of say $50,000,000 is nothing to him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up donating 75% of his BTC profits to charity. The guy is immensely wealthy irrespective of Bitcoin.

In an article by South China Morning Post, the economist makes an interesting investment statement, which makes sense. However, not available to the average Joe:

"Investors looking for a way to make money from the global bitcoin bonanza should steer clear of the pseudo currency itself and instead follow Li Ka-shing's lead: buy in to the firms providing the services that bitcoin holders use.

That's according to John Greenwood, the London-based chief economist of Invesco who designed Hong Kong's pegged currency regime.

"Just like investors in days gone by made more money out of selling shovels and picks to gold-diggers than anyone ever made out of the gold mine, he is investing in the peripheral activity that bitcoin has generated," Greenwood said."

RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:54:12 PM

Li Ka-Shing did not get so rich by being a dummy.  It is worthwhile to watch what the extremely rich do (as opposed to what they say).  I believe Li Ka-Shing is diversfying out of China and Hong Kong.  A big BTC position might be very smart.

Another great example was Warren Buffett buying the BSNF railroad a couple of years ago or so.  He called it "a bet on America", but, Jim Rickards characterized it better as a hard asset.  A hard asset that transports other hard assets...  Buffett is not stupid either.

+1 very wise

I can remember the controversy during the Berkshire Hathaway/BSNF acquisition. Interesting point about controlling asset logistics!

I hope Li Ka-Shing and his financial advisers are considering implementing Bitcoin in exchange of services/goods for his multinational commercial enterprises.

E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:13:29 PM

Every time I read his name I become more and more certain that he's as real a person as Satoshi Nakamoto.

Bibop

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:23:27 PM

So how big change like this could effect us, the little Bitcoiners?
beetcoin

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:27:50 PM

i don't know what to think when someone says something like that anymore.. billionaires tend to be smart, but i've seen some really dumb ones who are ignorant (see Donald Sterling). then again, i don't know much about Li Ka-Shing and how he got his money.

it's kind of funny because Ka-Shing is how a cash register sounds.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:30:42 PM

by investing into bitpay. you will see that instead of bitpay selling their coins on an exchange. they will use the investors fiat and give the investor bitcoin

thus you wont see as much sell orders on the exchanges, which will a rise in pirce, but a slower rise whilst merchants small tx's are processed, compared to a whale biting on the sale orders in under 5 minutes.

Whatever happens outside of exchanges affects the exchange rate, just only slightly delayed.

It does not change supply and demand dynamics. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:31:58 PM

Has anyone ever researched this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ka-shing
He is quite old, at the age of 85 I would start spending this money! Look at this Net worth: US$31 billion (2012). If he would drop only 1B into Bitcoin..  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beetcoin

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:33:52 PM

Has anyone ever researched this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ka-shing
He is quite old, at the age of 85 I would start spending this money! Look at this Net worth: US$31 billion (2012). If he would drop only 1B into Bitcoin..  Cheesy

$32 BN.. you can't really spend all of that money, unless maybe you bought islands or countries. btw, i think the king of thailand is probably a close 2nd. i think he's worth about $30 BN himself.
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:02:25 AM

So how big change like this could effect us, the little Bitcoiners?

Good question brother   Wink   - I think most of us hope that Li Ka-shing efforts and others will help Bitcoin corporate mass adoption.

With this, we hope the Bitcoin protocol will be far more valuable (price / as a technology / as an asset)
E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:11:04 AM

China:

2000 BC to 1950ish AD - Millions of People think their emperor is a god

1950ish-2014 - Billions of People think the richest guys real name is Ka-shing

beetcoin

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:24:06 AM

China:

2000 BC to 1950ish AD - Millions of People think their emperor is a god

1950ish-2014 - Billions of People think the richest guys real name is Ka-shing

you know, he's chinese.. the name sure does look like it fits. as previously mentioned, it's kind of ironic that his name is "ka.. shing," since that's the phonetic sound that we consider as "money maker." it would be like charlie sheen changing his name to "charlie hookersandcoke"
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: