Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:52:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [AVAILABLE] MomentoVPS - Immediately Available KVM VPS SSD backed  (Read 8177 times)
rapeghost

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:12:51 AM

That's a shame gusti.

There are many other quality VPS providers around: BitVPS.COM, Luke-jr's VM cluster, etc

BitVPS has a promotion for Bitcointalk members to get 50% off their first month using the coupon code 'BTALK' during sign up.

Don't leach other peoples threads, ass.

Uhh he poaches clients out of #bitvps, thats why hes banned.
What comes around, goes around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thirdlight

Activity: 445

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 09:35:21 AM

In the absence of information, don't invoke magical thinking and random speculation.
And that's exactly the point. The silence is the issue. Less silence == less random speculation.

Pleased there's been some reaction & notice taken.

LOLdidntwork

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 04:41:01 AM

One guy posts about his dissatisfaction in one of our side businesses, and that means "something has gone seriously wrong in the organisation." How do you get from your premise to this conclusion? We are running one of the largest exchanges, operating Bitcoinica, the Bitcoin conference, developing libbitcoin/Stratum/Electrum and operating Bitcoin Media. Smiley We're booming.

Adding my story, so it's not just one guy.

First of all, MomentoVPS always required manual configuration of the DNS server and the routing table, while other companies do this automatically through DHCP. There is zero documentation about this issue on the MomentoVPS web site. The only way to find out what IP addresses to use for the default gateway and the DNS server is to ask phantomcircuit on IRC.

I got very familiar with the manual configuration process because my VPS instance had two hard drive failures (virtual or real? IDK) over the past month resulting in a total loss of the filesystem, forcing me to reinstall the OS and reconfigure everything from scratch.

This morning, my VPS instance stopped accepting SSH connections. It turns out that the reason why is because phantomcircuit changed the topology of the internal network (why?). 10.2.0.1 is no longer the default gateway. What is? Who fucking knows. I was given one gateway, but it didn't work either. Someone in the #momentovps IRC channel was given a different address to use as the gateway. That one didn't work for me, either (might as well try). My VPS instance is utterly unable to reach the Internet, or be reached from the Internet, except through their VNC service.

As I said above, PROFESSIONAL VPS companies push all the important network config info over DHCP, so they can change their network topology with no disruption to service. Even a piece of shit $5 Linksys router pushes ALL the relevant info over DHCP so you don't have to write your own routing table. The change of the gateway only broke things because of phantomcircuit's incompetence.

Finally, phantomcircuit asked for my GUID, and I gave it. Then, a few minutes later and without saying another word, he went offline! My VPS has been down all day, and thanks to him, will be down AT LEAST all night and all day tomorrow. And now that I'm starting to think about asking for a refund, I discover that he's being evasive towards people who want refunds.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 05:03:24 AM

Wanna bet the FBI/CIA is forcing him to duplicate his hard drives for them, under a gag order? Grin

Seriously Patrick, get your shit in order and start responding to this stuff.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
LOLdidntwork

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 09:28:42 PM

Found the problem, no thanks to phantomcircuit. For others having the same problem: Momento's DHCP server is down (or they discontinued the service). That means you may need to manually configure your IP address in addition to the other variables.
thirdlight

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 07:48:00 PM

you may need to manually configure your IP address in addition to the other variables.
Did you find the gateway ip? Thanks,

intersango

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 01:37:51 AM

Hi,

I would just like to point out as Gusti continues to harass us and act as a very vocal minority in that respect and in his stating to be unsatisfied with momentovps' service

1) purchased a service
2) used that service (he was charged for the use of ram and disk space)

He was responded to multiple times contrary to his statements. Only after he continued to harass us claiming he was never offered the service (although there are records of his use of the vps) did we stop responding to him.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:29:05 AM

Hi,

I would just like to point out as Gusti continues to harass us and act as a very vocal minority in that respect and in his stating to be unsatisfied with momentovps' service

1) purchased a service
2) used that service (he was charged for the use of ram and disk space)

He was responded to multiple times contrary to his statements. Only after he continued to harass us claiming he was never offered the service (although there are records of his use of the vps) did we stop responding to him.

That's not true. The same moment I could not provision the service, I contacted Patrick on chat and skype. No answer. Next day I sent email, and next day too. He never bothered to answer. I sent email to Genjix, and he replied with evasives.

Here are some proofs :

Code:

[23/04/2012 08:09:10 p.m.] gusti584 says: hi
[23/04/2012 08:11:08 p.m.] gusti584 says: tried to register to your momentovps service
[23/04/2012 08:11:18 p.m.] gusti584 says: could not provision service
[23/04/2012 08:11:24 p.m.] gusti584 says: I need a refund
[23/04/2012 08:12:46 p.m.] gusti584 says: user : voicelink
[23/04/2012 08:13:21 p.m.] gusti584 says: pls send refund to : 13ucYdjMAdRFMy83yAQtXv58i9NTtXYkMY
[23/04/2012 08:13:24 p.m.] gusti584 says: tks
[24/04/2012 08:42:05 a.m.] gusti584 says: hello
[24/04/2012 08:43:21 a.m.] gusti584 says: pls answer, regarding momentovps
[24/04/2012 12:34:00 p.m.] Patrick Strateman says: hi email patrick@intersango.com
[24/04/2012 01:28:30 p.m.] Patrick Strateman says: email patrick@intersango.com
[25/04/2012 08:34:41 p.m.] gusti584 says: sent you email this morning
[25/04/2012 08:34:55 p.m.] gusti584 says: I suppose you already received

Hi Patrick :

A few days ago, I registered on momentovps with username : voicelink.
I sent 5 btc, but I couldn´t provision any vps, provision error
appeared on all of them.

I tried to contact you for support, and I ended buying another service.
Please refund me 5 btc to 13ucYdjMAdRFMy83yAQtXv58i9NTtXYkMY

Many thanks
G..........
Apr 27

to support, patrick
Patrick,

I really don´t know if you are not receiving my requests, or you are
just ignoring me.
Please send me refund ASAP, I don´t want to be obliged to give bad
word to your service within the community.

Many thanks in advance.

There are others emails with genjix, I will not put here unless he explicitly say I can.
See also all my tradings, never owed a cent, tell me if I will come and say lies for 5 btc.
You need to refund my 5 btc. Tks.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
LOLdidntwork

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 09:29:07 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2012, 11:23:14 PM by LOLdidntwork

you may need to manually configure your IP address in addition to the other variables.
Did you find the gateway ip? Thanks,

Sorry, thirdlight. I can't help you, becaaaaaauuuuuusssseeee.......

MomentoVPS went down AGAIN, last night at around 3am GMT. At first, the VPS instances and Dashboard were gone (503 error for the Dashboard page, the rest of the site still worked). Within 2 hours, the entire site was down, and it is STILL down right now.

Before their chat page went down, phantomcircuit said:

Code:
[02:54] <phantomcircuit> server is down while i fix it
[03:08] <phantomcircuit> in good news the kvm is sort of working
[03:08] <phantomcircuit> so hopefully this doesn't have to happen again

I hope by "fix" he means he's going to buy a real SERVER. You know, those big machines that come with ECC memory, redundant power supplies, RAID, etc, as opposed to the consumer-grade office PC this site seems to currently be run from.

It doesn't look good, however. I can't imagine what problem would take this long to fix. I've NEVER had to put up with this much downtime.

UPDATE: It's now May 17. MomentoVPS is STILL DOWN. Phantomcircuit claimed that by "fix" he means copy the data from a pre-fail, non-RAID hard drive and finally start using RAID. The pre-fail state of the hard drive is supposedly making it read very slowly. Sheesh, this is a seriously AMATEUR operation. This is how Intersango runs a VPS service? I wonder if the wallet behind Intersango's exchange is on a non-RAID hard drive. I wouldn't want to hold any bitcoins there.
phantomcircuit (OP)

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 09:54:26 PM

I apologize for the downtime, a combination of factors lead to it being significantly longer than is acceptable.

I brought the system down to improve the network setup.  As I was doing this it became clear that the primary hdd was failing.

The time to recover from this was largely due to the rootfs of the host being on an un-mirrored volume.

All systems are once again operational and guests will be assigned the correct ip address and gateway via dhcp.

All guests effected which were paid up on the 15th will receive 2 weeks free run time.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:51:19 PM

Be very careful with Intersango, they do not give a s***t about customer service.
I will never, ever, do business again with them or with any company associated.
This will also be my last post about the issue, I do not want Intersango to pose now as victims of my bullying.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
thirdlight

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:07:03 AM

I brought the system down to improve the network setup.  As I was doing this it became clear that the primary hdd was failing.

This.

2 weeks ago.

phantomcircuit (OP)

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:16:42 PM

Additional IP Addresses have been assigned.
LOLdidntwork

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:16:36 PM

....aaaaaaaaaand it's down yet AGAIN. That's three significant incidents of downtime within a 6-month period. Meanwhile, my server on another VPS provider has been running for almost two years with no interruptions.

I'm going to finally join the exodus from this shit service. Evidently, MomentoVPS achieves its low price by sacrificing reliability.
Marco Polo

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 09:37:55 AM

I have had 4 major downtimes  in the last couple of two weeks. Effin worthless...
Ploni

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 06:37:38 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2012, 02:30:22 PM by Ploni

Looks good to me.  I'll just go week by week though.  Thanks for all of the warnings.

Still looks good...had a PEBKAC error all day today though lol.
celestia

Activity: 33
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 06:13:01 PM

I paid for two months at 11/1/12, there is some problems with qemu, phantomcircuit tried to fix it, but without any result.
I can't get moneyback all this time. No answer on IRC and email. Phantomcircuit profile says, what he is was active today at 05:48:38 PM, but three days ago I tried PM him and didn't get any answer.
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 07:00:06 AM

Don't buy from this service. Phantomcircuit seems to treat the production environment like a development environment -- website is always broken and new features are being added that don't even work. You can count on the billing working, which I put about fifty euros into, except when I tried to create a server (and a disk) it wasted my money because I couldn't attach the disk or attach Debian to the CD drive. I couldn't even delete the disk so it sat there and wasted my balance. No withdrawal option? It's just a dysfunctional service, which is a shame because it worked well for me at one point.

Impossible to get any support, the guy is never on IRC and there's no support facilities on the website or email. He did offer me account credit to make up for the broken panel but I want a full refund.

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: