Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:40:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for the Bitcoin killer app  (Read 1753 times)
bitlotto (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 01:01:11 PM

This is just a quick little post describing what *I* think will bring Bitcoin mainstream. I wish I had the programming skills to do it myself. (But of course if anyone else uses the idea and gets filthy rich, a thank you present to me would be very appreciated!  Wink )

Problems (or issues I guess) with Bitcoin client as is:
-user can't really do anything until entire block chain is downloaded -depending on the device used, this large amount data/bandwidth could be troublesome
-everything is done with a wallet - this means the device it's on can get stolen, lost, broken
-sure the user could make backups and encrypt it but I'd say most people will not do this

In some ways the killer app (perhaps EasyBitcoin) would be like mybitcoin.com but with one main difference. Each user would still have their OWN wallet.

EasyBitcoin would run a server that maintains a connection to the bitcoin network and keeps a copy of the block chain. Each user would be able to visit EasyBitcoin, register, and create an account. This will create a location on the server for storing the users wallet.

Then the user grabs the GUI for interacting with EasyBitcoin for Win/Linux/Mac/iPhone/Android etc. These GUI's are simple in that their whole function is securely communicating with EasyBitcoin and making their OWN encrypted local wallet. The block chain is used on the server side of things. Every time the software is loaded a username and password is requested to unlock wallet and get access to server. (Perhaps it locks after a certain amount of time of not being used) This will allow it to talk to EasyBitcoin using encryption. If no wallet exists on the users computer OR the server a new one is made by the GUI. Every so often an encrypted back up is sent to the server. That way if the user loses his computer they don't lose their wallet. If the user wants to change and use other software they can visit EasyBitcoin and select to download the wallet.

The GUI and the server then communicate to keep the transactions in sync. When the GUI is loaded the addresses listed in the wallet are passed along to the server and the server returns all the transactions that should show up in the GUI. I guess kind of like moving the bitcoind and running it on the server and securely communicating over the internet instead. It would be cool if only the GUI had access to the private keys and EasyBitcoin didn't need to see the whole wallet. Only an encrypted copy existing on the server.

This would allow a very lightweight bitcoin client that can run with minimal resources. Wallets would be safer and less likely lost/stolen and the user would have something that works right away. They would also be able to move on to other services as their wallet is kept separate.

To make money I guess the service could charge something like .01 per transaction over 10 or something....

....something like that...

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nodemaster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 03:18:15 PM

Sounds like a pretty good concept. But at the moment i guess the revenue is not high enough. This idea needs too many ressources (in terms of hardware and working hours) and there are way too less potential customers. It might become a great business idea in a few years if Bitcoin is accepted by many people.
Current-C

Activity: 124

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 07:12:07 PM

I am the proud owner of easybitcoin.com.  If someone here has programming skills and wants to collaborate let me know!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 07:40:57 PM

Sounds like a pretty good concept. But at the moment i guess the revenue is not high enough. This idea needs too many ressources (in terms of hardware and working hours) and there are way too less potential customers. It might become a great business idea in a few years if Bitcoin is accepted by many people.

Potential customers are not just current users. I think it's a great idea and now is the right time.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:32:20 PM

The problem that I see with this is that this system just moves the wallet.dat security problem from a machine that the end user can control to one that he cannot.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitlotto (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2011, 02:59:36 AM

The problem that I see with this is that this system just moves the wallet.dat security problem from a machine that the end user can control to one that he cannot.
For sure! I know tons of people who have lost important computer files. Now it would be even worse if it's your money too! If someone else is managing the wallet at least it's being managed, and with encryption it shouldn't be too big of a risk.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 03:30:49 AM

I am the proud owner of easybitcoin.com.  If someone here has programming skills and wants to collaborate let me know!

Don't be too proud.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: EASYBITCOIN.COM
      Created on: 19-Apr-11

Variance is a bitch!
Current-C

Activity: 124

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 03:33:06 AM

What can I say -- easy pickin's.   Wink
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 03:47:01 AM

What's the plan for recompense if the guy running the server absconds with all the wallets he's 'keeping secure'?

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 04:04:25 AM

There are at least a few projects very similar to this... already in the works.

STAY TUNED....    Bitcoin is going to be an exciting road to follow. 

We plan to interview project leads for as many such very cool projects as we can --- helping to encourage developers to collaborate on them --- on "The Bitcoin Show".... launching within hours now... on http://OnlyOneTV.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: