Hello! I'm a lifelong student of the science of computing, though I consider it more of an art than a science.
I am lovestruck by Bitcoin and its ingenious decentralised nature. I hope to keep as much BTC as I can flowing through the network, although I do need to put food on the table (desk? I can't afford a table, nor food worthy of one).
I grew up coding in various toy languages like BASIC and whatnot, then moved on to C++. That is my area of expertise, though I have in recent years learned other things.Freelance Coding
I can understand most languages inherently and can teach myself any language or library you throw at me. Estimates will vary based on difficulty, but we're probably looking at about 1.5 BTC for the equivalent of one hour of work. It won't actually be per hour for obvious reasons (I could take longer on purpose, you could accuse me of taking longer on purpose... bleh!). There will be variance: the difficulty of the work, how many new things I'll have to learn, etc.If you agree that I may retain copyright and license the software as GPL or other qualifying copyleft, I will work for 50% of the normal price.If I must turn over the copyright, but you agree that I may include a copy of the work in my portfolio, I will work for 80% of the normal price.Tutoring
I will also offer tutoring to beginners on the topics below, one-on-one via online tools such as PiratePad, and/or the IM protocol of your choice. Tutoring for the statically-priced courses will continue until you understand the topics or until you're obviously prolonging the process (the escrow will have to make that decision). I am a damn good Explainer of Things, however, so this will not be necessary. Payment will be via BTCrow, therefore, logs of the chat will be kept in the event of a dispute. I will pay all escrow fees.
Though I refer to the following offerings as "courses," they do not carry credit at any accredited institution. No tests are given and the only grade is success.
- BASIC Discoveries: I'll teach you basic output and control structures in a toy language, BASIC. Cool if you just want to say to friends, "Look, I made a computer program!".
- Basics in C++/Java : You've never coded before in your life. Accelerated learning using guided immersion. We will set up the build environment(s) and get you writing your first program right away. You can expect to be able to write interactive "toy" command-line applications within one to two hours.
- Course Fee (C++ or Java): 2 BTC
- Course Fee (C++ and Java): 2.75 BTC
- C++ for the Mildly Initiated: Okay, so you've coded a few things before. In BASIC, Java.... something other than C++. An explanation of the constructs of C++ and how it is different from other languages. A Q/A session follows.
- C++: Classes, Pointers, and Polymorphism; An introduction to object oriented programming and what you can do with it. This is for someone who already knows most or all of the material taught in Basics.
- Course Fee: 2 BTC
- Prerequisites: you must understand the concepts outlined in "Basics": control structures such as loops, conditionals, and functions are a must.
- Data Structures in C++: We'll take a serious look at the way computers store data and the tradeoffs between processing and memory requirements. This course may persist over a few sessions.
- Course Fee: 3 BTC
- Prerequisites: strong knowledge of control structures and classes. Provided by "C++:CP+P" above.
- C++: The Journey: I will take you on as my personal student, teaching you everything I know at your pace. When you've learned enough, or I have no more to teach, we are done.
- Initial Fee: 5 BTC. Includes first two one-hour sessions.
- 2 BTC per one-hour session afterward
- Esoteric Explorations: What's life without a little fun? We'll take an introductory look at some of the wackiest languages ever designed by man. If I were an accredited university, this would be my answer to "Beers of the World".
PM me for details on the cirricula. I can provide you with a list of things you'll be able to do, guaranteed, no matter how long it takes me (save for the "Journey" model, which continues indefinitely).
If you're not sure which course you'd like or would like one formed to your specific needs, we can work something out, I'm sure.
Prices and course listings are subject to change.
All payments are final, unless I or the escrow service deem otherwise.
I intend on using the escrow service provided by BTCrow.
Please post in this thread, or PM, if you are interested. You may also post small programming questions in this thread; I will have a fair crack at them on my time. If I solve something worthwhile for you, perhaps you'll consider sending a couple BTC to my address below.