Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:45:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: C++/Java Programming and Tutoring [Escrow Available]  (Read 1423 times)
ChocolateSoda (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:13:59 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2012, 12:50:43 AM by ChocolateSoda

Hello! I'm a lifelong student of the science of computing, though I consider it more of an art than a science.

I am lovestruck by Bitcoin and its ingenious decentralised nature. I hope to keep as much BTC as I can flowing through the network, although I do need to put food on the table (desk? I can't afford a table, nor food worthy of one).

I grew up coding in various toy languages like BASIC and whatnot, then moved on to C++. That is my area of expertise, though I have in recent years learned other things.

Freelance Coding

I can understand most languages inherently and can teach myself any language or library you throw at me. Estimates will vary based on difficulty, but we're probably looking at about 1.5 BTC for the equivalent of one hour of work. It won't actually be per hour for obvious reasons (I could take longer on purpose, you could accuse me of taking longer on purpose... bleh!). There will be variance: the difficulty of the work, how many new things I'll have to learn, etc.

If you agree that I may retain copyright and license the software as GPL or other qualifying copyleft, I will work for 50% of the normal price.
If I must turn over the copyright, but you agree that I may include a copy of the work in my portfolio, I will work for 80% of the normal price.

Tutoring

I will also offer tutoring to beginners on the topics below, one-on-one via online tools such as PiratePad, and/or the IM protocol of your choice. Tutoring for the statically-priced courses will continue until you understand the topics or until you're obviously prolonging the process (the escrow will have to make that decision). I am a damn good Explainer of Things, however, so this will not be necessary. Payment will be via BTCrow, therefore, logs of the chat will be kept in the event of a dispute. I will pay all escrow fees.

Though I refer to the following offerings as "courses," they do not carry credit at any accredited institution. No tests are given and the only grade is success.

• BASIC Discoveries: I'll teach you basic output and control structures in a toy language, BASIC. Cool if you just want to say to friends, "Look, I made a computer program!".
    • Course Fee: 0.25 BTC
  • Basics in C++/Java : You've never coded before in your life. Accelerated learning using guided immersion. We will set up the build environment(s) and get you writing your first program right away. You can expect to be able to write interactive "toy" command-line applications within one to two hours.
    • Course Fee (C++ or Java): 2 BTC
    • Course Fee (C++ and Java): 2.75 BTC
  • C++ for the Mildly Initiated: Okay, so you've coded a few things before. In BASIC, Java.... something other than C++. An explanation of the constructs of C++ and how it is different from other languages. A Q/A session follows.
    • Course Fee: 1.5 BTC
  • C++: Classes, Pointers, and Polymorphism; An introduction to object oriented programming and what you can do with it. This is for someone who already knows most or all of the material taught in Basics.
    • Course Fee: 2 BTC
    • Prerequisites: you must understand the concepts outlined in "Basics": control structures such as loops, conditionals, and functions are a must.
  • Data Structures in C++: We'll take a serious look at the way computers store data and the tradeoffs between processing and memory requirements. This course may persist over a few sessions.
    • Course Fee: 3 BTC
    • Prerequisites: strong knowledge of control structures and classes. Provided by "C++:CP+P" above.
  • C++: The Journey: I will take you on as my personal student, teaching you everything I know at your pace. When you've learned enough, or I have no more to teach, we are done.
    • Initial Fee: 5 BTC. Includes first two one-hour sessions.
    • 2 BTC per one-hour session afterward
  • Esoteric Explorations: What's life without a little fun? We'll take an introductory look at some of the wackiest languages ever designed by man. If I were an accredited university, this would be my answer to "Beers of the World".
    • Course Fee: 0.5 BTC

PM me for details on the cirricula. I can provide you with a list of things you'll be able to do, guaranteed, no matter how long it takes me (save for the "Journey" model, which continues indefinitely).
If you're not sure which course you'd like or would like one formed to your specific needs, we can work something out, I'm sure.
Prices and course listings are subject to change.

All payments are final, unless I or the escrow service deem otherwise.

I intend on using the escrow service provided by BTCrow.

Please post in this thread, or PM, if you are interested. You may also post small programming questions in this thread; I will have a fair crack at them on my time. If I solve something worthwhile for you, perhaps you'll consider sending a couple BTC to my address below.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChocolateSoda (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 12:03:50 AM

I have added a new course to the lineup, Esoteric Explorations. Even if you already know how to code in every useful language, what's life without a little fun? If you enroll, you and I will take an introductory look at some of the wackiest languages ever designed by man. If I were an accredited university, this would be my answer to "Beers of the World". It's just a silly little thing, so let's put the price at .5 BTC.

The exchanges are on their way down, it seems, so there's never been a better time to spend your Bitcoins for what they really are! My prices haven't changed!

Remember, it's never too late to learn something new!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 02:09:36 PM

I noticed your "looking for work" thread.

Would you be interested in posting the same Job hunting ad in the magazine's classifieds section? It's $0.50/word but the exposure to the community is going to be massive (more than obscure threads/subforums).

Let me know mate!

Matthew N. Wright
Editor in Chief
Bitcoin Magazine.net

mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 02:18:26 PM

I noticed your "looking for work" thread.

Would you be interested in posting the same Job hunting ad in the magazine's classifieds section? It's $0.50/word but the exposure to the community is going to be massive (more than obscure threads/subforums).

Let me know mate!

Matthew N. Wright
Editor in Chief
Bitcoin Magazine.net
$425.50... not bad!

ChocolateSoda (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:55:13 PM

$425.50... not bad!

Thanks for the offer; unfortunately I could never afford such a thing. I only have 2 BTC to my name at this point. It's such a grand opportunity but unfortunately I really can't afford it right now.

Anyhow, isn't my ad a bit too big for a "classifieds" section? Perhaps I could just put a little note in there. But BTC 0.50 per word is up there, at least for me.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 09:57:05 PM

I will also offer tutoring to beginners on the topics below, one-on-one via online tools such as PiratePad, and/or the IM protocol of your choice. Tutoring for the statically-priced courses will continue until you understand the topics or until you're obviously prolonging the process (the escrow will have to make that decision). I am a damn good Explainer of Things, however, so this will not be necessary. Payment will be via BTCrow, therefore, logs of the chat will be kept in the event of a dispute. I will pay all escrow fees.
what's the advantage in asking you to tutor when there are many online tutorials?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ChocolateSoda (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:42:13 PM

what's the advantage in asking you to tutor when there are many online tutorials?

A good question, and I'll reply with what I think is a good answer.

The reason there is an advantage is the same reason we still have universities; and the advantage is the same that a private tutor has over a collegiate level course. Bear with me.

We have universities because there is a level of personality and interaction to the learning process. If I'm having trouble in a class at the Institute, I can ask the professor what I'm doing wrong.

The Internet has become okay-ish at crowdsourcing the answers to people's questions, via sites such as Stack Overflow, Yahoo Answers, ChaCha (for whom I am a Guide), et cetera. What the Internet still cannot do, however, is interact one-on-one with a student, tailoring the program to her own personal needs, answering her questions real-time and having enough data over time to pinpoint the areas of general misunderstanding, rather than handing her an answer for every specific question. Why have a student memorise the known MD5 hashes for an 8-bit integer, exempli gratia, when you can teach her the algorithm?

Some folks just don't learn as well from written tutorials. I am one, so I know they're out there. Thanks for your input Smiley
senbonzakura

Activity: 602
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:54:04 PM

hello

want to be your first customer , c++ course beginner course.

Do i get 80% off ? Smiley

ChocolateSoda (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:18:50 PM

hello

want to be your first customer , c++ course beginner course.

Do i get 80% off ? Smiley

Of course you do. Basics in C++ will cost, for you, only 0.4 BTC. Please PM me; you'll need to provide your e-mail address (it can be a throw-away, but I need it for the escrow service). We can get started as soon as you like.
senbonzakura

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:26:53 PM

ok no problem, I will pm you now.
senbonzakura

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:03:32 AM

Good tutoring, agreed on goals, answered my questions fully. Recommended Smiley