Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:26:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 4609 times)
Tuxavant (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 05:45:33 PM

http://bittalk.tv/?page_id=314

Can't wait to receive my first issue!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2012, 02:29:08 AM

Rumor has it that there's a Swimsuit Edition in the works. (please don't have one of RandyFolds' sisters on the cover)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 08:14:13 AM

Rumor has it that there's a Swimsuit Edition in the works. (please don't have one of RandyFolds' sisters on the cover)

How'd you hear about that? He's not kidding guys.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 01:15:19 AM

How'd you hear about that? He's not kidding guys.

I swear, I was only kidding. But figured you may be on it.

They have my vote (as well as RandyFolds's):

I can't believe we're going to be on the cover of Bitcoin Magazine.
Yeh! Thanks to Phin and Randy.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

Mining rigs wearing bikinis?
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 03:33:17 AM

When came we expect them?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 03:59:02 PM

The whales or the issues?

We're expected to go to print in one week.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 05:05:02 PM

That means it should be ready by my birthday, March 4.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:08:37 PM

how about the digital issue?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:32:30 PM

how about the digital issue?

The print issue is released the same date.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 12:38:16 AM

What I wish is that this magazine weren't rife with immaturity.  Especially if it's going into "Barnes & Noble".

This appears to be a magazine written by an immature teenager for an immature teenage audience.

If this magazine is seriously meant to further the interests of the Bitcoin community, then it is absolutely unconscionable that its editor in chief has the words "Suck my dick" on his avatar.  Hahahah, lol, roflmao, yeah, that was funny when I was in junior high too.  Come on, man, this reflects poorly on all of us.

And then we open to the first page, where the typography has been cleverly stacked so that the page reads "STFU" when viewed from a distance.  There is no good reason for this.  Like I said, a teenage magazine for a teenage audience.

I fully support the idea of having a Bitcoin magazine, but someone must GTFU (grow the fuck up) if it's to be taken seriously.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:58:38 AM

Yep, I ordered one too!

We should get more and leave them around Las Vegas in random doctor's offices etc.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:27:01 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2012, 04:10:45 AM by Matthew N. Wright

What I wish is that this magazine weren't rife with immaturity.  Especially if it's going into "Barnes & Noble".

No one but me has even seen the magazine yet. It's not published yet. I love constructive criticism and everything, but to judge 64 pages of patiently written articles, features and specials on some cover art and a table of contents is a bit-- eh.. Basically, "Are you a wizard?"

This appears to be a magazine written by an immature teenager for an immature teenage audience.
Our target audience is 18~41. You must be 42 Sad

If this magazine is seriously meant to further the interests of the Bitcoin community, then it is absolutely unconscionable that its editor in chief has the words "Suck my dick" on his avatar.
Christ. So now I'm breaking the internet laws and the magazine will fail because of my forum avatar? Some of us have bold and hilarious personalities. Get used to it.

And then we open to the first page, where the typography has been cleverly stacked so that the page reads "STFU" when viewed from a distance.  There is no good reason for this.

I agree. I can totally omit that. Vicente, one of our staff had already mentioned that. "Is it really necessary Matthew?" and I said "No, but the people who get it will think it's funny and the people who don't, won't have an opinion".

That said, have you ever seen "Maxim magazine"? I think they owe the majority of their success to bold and subtle humor as well. If you'd like to recommend other bold and subtle ways to be humorous than just "ST+FU", I am most certainly all ears. If you're arguing that humor shouldn't be a part of the magazine, good luck with that, no one who has supported the magazine so far agrees with you.

I fully support the idea of having a Bitcoin magazine, but someone must GTFU (grow the fuck up) if it's to be taken seriously.

I know where you're coming from and read you loud and clear. Everyone in Bitcoin is now breathing down my neck to make sure this goes right. That said, I mentioned possibly giving up my equity later on when we find someone better suited to make the magazine and do you know what someone told me?

"Matthew, don't you dare step down. You give this magazine personality."

*cough*

P.S. Mike, do you know why my avatar has a bus saying "suck my dick"?

Just tell me where you find those animated gifs...

The bus one made me laugh pretty hard...

Because I enjoy making people laugh. If you want a super-serious magazine that is completely boring and devoid of any life, go start one with Bruce Wagner.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 04:05:07 AM

Our target audience is 18~41. You must be 42 Sad

No.  I am well within the range of 18-41.

Christ. So now I'm breaking the internet laws and the magazine will fail because of my forum avatar? Some of us have bold and hilarious personalities. Get used to it.

Not exactly.  Just in case it's not very clear, this doesn't represent your stated target age range very well.  "Suck my dick" is funny to boys in the age range of 9-13 years old.  It loses its charm quickly thereafter.

I agree. I can totally omit that. Vicente, one of our staff had already mentioned that. "Is it really necessary Matthew?" and I said "No, but the people who get it will think it's funny and the people who don't, won't have an opinion".

That said, have you ever seen "Maxim magazine"? I think they owe the majority of their success to bold and subtle humor as well. If you'd like to recommend other bold and subtle ways to be humorous than just "ST+FU", I am most certainly all ears. If you're arguing that humor shouldn't be a part of the magazine, good luck with that, no one who has supported the magazine so far agrees with you.

Ahah, right, because nobody over the age of 17 knows what STFU stands for?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against profanity.  But putting STFU there in and of itself isn't really funny.  Unless, of course, you're 12 years old, then cussing is funny all by itself because it's like, revolting against your parents or something.  Or pretending you're all grown up now, because of course, using naughty words is such a grown up thing to do.

If you're going to make a joke that references the word FUCK (hereinafter referred to as the F word), then by all means, go ahead.  But make it classy.  It just sounds like the punch line of your joke is something like, "we're going to put the F word on this page in plain sight, and all the old grownups who went to school without cellphones will have not a clue about the internet acronyms of the day and aren't going to have any idea that it's really the F word in their face".  Which, as I said, isn't really funny unless you're twelve.

...do you know what someone told me?

"Matthew, don't you dare step down. You give this magazine personality."

They may very well be right.  They are probably referring to other things you are doing that are clearly neat, and not the potty humor.

P.S. Mike, do you know why my avatar has a bus saying "suck my dick"?

Because you are a kid still in school?

Because I enjoy making people laugh. If you want a super-serious magazine that is completely boring and devoid of any life, go start one with Bruce Wagner.

I am sure people will laugh so hard they will snort their chocolate milk all over the cafeteria floor.  Your magazine doesn't have to be dry, it's just, if you want to appeal to 18-41 year olds, then you should consider the advice of 18-41 year olds.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:12:35 AM

What I wish is that this magazine weren't rife with immaturity.  Especially if it's going into "Barnes & Noble".

If this magazine is seriously meant to further the interests of the Bitcoin community, then it is absolutely unconscionable that its editor in chief has the words "Suck my dick" on his avatar.  Hahahah, lol, roflmao, yeah, that was funny when I was in junior high too.  Come on, man, this reflects poorly on all of us.

And then we open to the first page, where the typography has been cleverly stacked so that the page reads "STFU" when viewed from a distance.  There is no good reason for this.  Like I said, a teenage magazine for a teenage audience.

Excuse me? I have seen most of the magazine and it is a very well thought out, entertaining and informative read. There are many people involved in the project and it is not only Matthew who is not a teenager.

His avatar has no relevance on the magazine and I would like to think people can maintain their individualism while working on a project. I can promise you that phrases such as "suck my dick" have no place in the magazine and they are not there. Just wait until you see the final product and you will be singing a different tune.

The ST FU you speak of on the first page provides a little comedic relief which isn't a bad idea when you are talking about serious subjects. In case you haven't noticed a large segment of the people interested in Bitcoins are teenagers and young adults so we would rather not leave them out all together. The articles are written primarily by people who are not Matthew, so your judgement of him as a basis for the content of the magazine are completely unfounded.

I suppose you would prefer a completely dry and boring magazine that no one except yourself would like to read?

Like I said, wait for the final product before passing any judgements about the magazine as a whole.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 04:13:28 AM

Damn Mike, that was uncalled for and a low blow.

Give the guy a chance, if its not to your liking then you'll have the floor to express your thoughts  Smiley

As Ben Harper famously wrote "if you don't like my fire, then don't come around, cause I'm gonna burn one down"

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:19:03 AM

Not exactly.  Just in case it's not very clear, this doesn't represent your stated target age range very well.  "Suck my dick" is funny to boys in the age range of 9-13 years old.  It loses its charm quickly thereafter.
Bottom line: my avatar is completely irrelevant to an argument about the contents of the magazine. My avatar is not being published in the magazine. Your opinion of my avatar means absolutely nothing to me, as it shouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against profanity.  But putting STFU there in and of itself isn't really funny.

Thank you Mike. Your opinion has been written down and will be carefully considered. It's important to note that the screen shots for the magazine (for which you haven't seen yet) are just mock-ups and the actual magazine is still in design until 6 days from today's date.

They may very well be right.  They are probably referring to other things you are doing that are clearly neat, and not the potty humor.

Obviously. The potty humor is a non-issue. It doesn't bother me to take it out at all. It doesn't bother me to take it out because even one person suggests it. What bothers me is the ridiculous comment about my avatar and why you think that has anything to do with the magazine. It just wreaks of pettiness, jealousy and 'old man' attitude.

I am sure people will laugh so hard they will snort their chocolate milk all over the cafeteria floor.  Your magazine doesn't have to be dry, it's just, if you want to appeal to 18-41 year olds, then you should consider the advice of 18-41 year olds.
Considered and duly noted. I'm absolutely sure everyone is anxious to see how the first issue comes out and I'm equally sure that the support I've received is clear to the direction this magazine will take. Thank you for your support.

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:21:10 AM

"Suck my dick" is funny to boys in the age range of 9-13 years old.

not saying i like or dislike the magazine (haven't seen enough of it yet), but i'm 33 and found "suck my dick i'm a bus" to be humorous.

in fact i'm holding back a smirk as i type this incase people at work see me and wonder what's so funny.

sorry for being so immature.

edit: now i'm suddenly reminded of the "suckubus" from south park.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:30:41 AM

casascius i get the feeling you're mostly upset the magazine hasn't requested to issue your coins with it's first run

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 04:30:54 AM

Damn Mike, that was uncalled for and a low blow.

Which part?  My understanding is that Matthew is actually a teenager.  So if Matthew wants to produce a magazine to appeal to an older crowd, he should write like it.  That's not too much to ask?

Give the guy a chance, if its not to your liking then you'll have the floor to express your thoughts  Smiley

I actually wish him the best.  I mean, he is taking all the risk with the printing costs, right?  Chances are pretty good I will buy the magazine myself.

I am just asking him to class up, for the sake of the project as a whole.  Real stakeholders in the financial and business sectors are watching the Bitcoin project, those with the resources to propel it further, and this isn't the sort of crowd that would be impressed if the first regular in-print Bitcoin-related magazine starts out its first page with a clever embedding of "STFU".  These are the crowd that read the WSJ, NYT, Forbes, and if those are dry magazines, then dry isn't so bad.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: