Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:53:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go  (Read 11638 times)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:43:39 AM

So. When we look at present price situation we can easily see that OP chart is looking more realistic than a week ago. Isn't?  :-)

We haven't seen such rally from weeks ...

I am getting excited :-)

Rather late to the party aren't you?

Bitcoin has stopped dead below the long term down trend from Dec 2013. Volume has been dying back all the time and the 1 day momentum indicators look to be maxed out.

I think you are the only bear still posting since we broke out.

I have been buying heavily down in the low 4xx's. It will be interesting to see how far this runs before it stalls and pulls back. I would be surprised if this is actual beginning of the next bull rally - seems a bit too easy tbh. Here is hoping we do get back up to the 8xx's on this run though. 

Did you buy back in Mat?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
int03h

Activity: 532
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:09:25 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2014, 12:34:31 PM by int03h

So. When we look at present price situation we can easily see that OP chart is looking more realistic than a week ago. Isn't?  :-)

Bitcoin has stopped dead below the long term down trend from Dec 2013. Volume has been dying back all the time and the 1 day momentum indicators look to be maxed out.

I am also heavily bearish. Nevermind the TA - most of the liquidity in the Bitcoin economy has been killed off by the mega and very serious miners. All they doing is turning electricity into heat right now and flipping bitcoins for more hardware to stay in the race to the bottom. Time/Block is still around 8 minutes which means we are still at 11-12 day retargets so ~20% diff increases. The curve is not flattening .. till it does I don't see any reason for the price to recover. (Yes I am linking Diff to Price - in my opinion they are linked - although not directly or very predictably ). mt.gox disaster is not finished and neither is the Shrem and SR horseshit either.

PS: TA is like making toast and seeing Jesus .. all it takes is bread and a toaster and a propensity for seeing Jesus in everything because that all you are thinking about. Likewise with TA : just use the zoom button / or change time resolution and you will find a picture you like.

And before someone jumps on me and says " Well mining isn't everything in the Bitcoin economy " - no it isn't. But it's what drove it in the past.

EDIT: To be a bit melodramatic : I am actually rather depressed about it all - all the fun has been destroyed. Now it's just a super inconvenient way to pay for shit.
tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 12:30:58 PM

I am also heavily bearish. Nevermind the TA - most of the liquidity in the Bitcoin economy has been killed off by the mega and very serious miners. All they doing is turning electricity into heat right now and flipping bitcoins for more hardware to stay in the race to the bottom. Time/Block is still around 8 minutes which means we are still at 11-12 day retargets so ~20% diff increases. The curve is not flattening .. till it does I don't see any reason for the price to recover. (Yes I am linking Diff to Price - in my opinion they are linked - although not directly or very predictably ). mt.gox disaster is not finished and neither is the Shrem and SR horseshit either.

PS: TA is like making toast and seeing Jesus .. all it takes is bread and a toaster and a propensity for seeing Jesus in everything because that all you are thinking about. Likewise with TA : just use the zoom button / or change time resolution and you will find a picture you like.

And before someone jumps on me and says " Well mining isn't everything in the Bitcoin economy " - no it isn't. But it's what drove it in the past.

There definitely is a link between difficulty and price: http://cryptocoinstats.com/difficultytracker.php

I'm still struggling to identify exactly what it is though.  Is it a leading indicator or a trailing indicator of price.  Are they inversely correlated?

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
int03h

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:39:48 PM

There definitely is a link between difficulty and price: http://cryptocoinstats.com/difficultytracker.php

I'm still struggling to identify exactly what it is though.  Is it a leading indicator or a trailing indicator of price.  Are they inversely correlated?

Simple answer : Either/Neither and Both.

I personally believe hectic difficulty drives up price - but availability of hardware drives it down - or at least it did in the past. It used to be a leading indicator when hardware was NOT available. But now that there are any number of choices to attack the current difficulty and potentially break even we are stalled. Your question is simple the answer is not.

(and everyone else is just holding - while this goes on)

EDIT: That difficulty tracker doesn't show the full picture from genesis. Someone needs to do a time from genesis price/diff overlay graph. Smiley

MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:43:55 PM

Did you buy back in Mat?

Nope.

Bought in at $460, sold at $520, anticipating an imminent correction and then I have to see things are looking from there.

.....and who said I am bearish?

Right now I am undecided on the longer term and am verging on undecided/bullish over the medium term. Obviously I was bullish enough to buy in at $460 and bullish enough to tell someone (sharkyshark) that shorting Bitcoin at $500 was a very bad idea.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:49:43 PM

EDIT: To be a bit melodramatic : I am actually rather depressed about it all - all the fun has been destroyed. Now it's just a super inconvenient way to pay for shit.

There's a smart part in your post (mining and price are linked, though not in the obvious way that some seem to think it is), and a not so smart part. Sure, technical analysis tends to see patterns where there are none, but that's not the same as saying it is entirely incapable of picking up changes in supply and demand that can be profitably used in your trading decisions.

Re: your mining argument. I agree, the "professional" miners are one of /the/ most defining elements of the Bitcoin price function right now, but I'm not sure if we see it as having the same effect. The concentration of mining means that there is substantially more OTC trading, and less on-exchange volume.

While both miners and those who buy from miners could in principle try to  manipulate the on-exchange price to get a deal off-exchange that is more to their liking, I will for simplicity assume that those attempts would largely even each other out (though in reality I think the buyers have the better chance at successful manipulation, because they are the "old" money, and presumably have both more experience and more funds in total).

But like I said, I'll assume that both sides try, but fail, to move price on-exchange in the direction they'd prefer (miners: up, buyers: down). But one fact remains untouched by this: trading volume and price are heavily correlated, and almost certainly causally linked. And since the entire premise was that OTC volume rises while on-exchange volume is dropping (proportionally), the effect of big OTC deals depresses the /public/ price, while the actual price that would emerge if volume were on exchange again is in fact higher.

tl;dr the tendency for miners to go professional means more off-exchange deals, which means that the actual demand for coins is higher than can be read off from the demand on the exchanges, which means: Bitcoin is (as a tendency) undervalued.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
int03h

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:50:13 PM

Did you buy back in Mat?

Nope.

Bought in at $460, sold at $520, anticipating an imminent correction and then I have to see things are looking from there.

.....and who said I am bearish?

Right now I am undecided on the longer term and am verging on undecided/bullish over the medium term. Obviously I was bullish enough to buy in at $460 and bullish enough to tell someone (sharkyshark) that shorting Bitcoin at $500 was a very bad idea.

Agree again.
piramida
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:50:48 PM

You are just sad that bitcoins amateur days are over. There are altcoins for you! Bitcoin, whether you like it or not, needs to grow, it can't be a garage pet project and rule the world at the same time.

i am satoshi
int03h

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:59:37 PM

There's a smart part in your post (mining and price are linked, though not in the obvious way that some seem to think it is), and a not so smart part. Sure, technical analysis tends to see patterns where there are none, but that's not the same as saying it is entirely incapable of picking up changes in supply and demand that can be profitably used in your trading decisions.

Re: your mining argument. I agree, the "professional" miners are one of /the/ most defining elements of the Bitcoin price function right now, but I'm not sure if we see it as having the same effect. The concentration of mining means that there is substantially more OTC trading, and less on-exchange volume.

While both miners and those who buy from miners could in principle try to  manipulate the on-exchange price to get a deal off-exchange that is more to their liking, I will for simplicity assume that those attempts would largely even each other out (though in reality I think the buyers have the better chance at successful manipulation, because they are the "old" money, and presumably have both more experience and more funds in total).

But like I said, I'll assume that both sides try, but fail, to move price on-exchange in the direction they'd prefer (miners: up, buyers: down). But one fact remains untouched by this: trading volume and price are heavily correlated, and almost certainly causally linked. And since the entire premise was that OTC volume rises while on-exchange volume is dropping (proportionally), the effect of big OTC deals depresses the /public/ price, while the actual price that would emerge if volume were on exchange again is in fact higher.

tl;dr the tendency for miners to go professional means more off-exchange deals, which means that the actual demand for coins is higher than can be read off from the demand on the exchanges, which means: Bitcoin is (as a tendency) undervalued.

RE: TA  I didn't say it's not helpful, I just said it is very very dependent on your state of mind when you are looking at the graphs - if one can remove all the emotion from your trading decisions then TA certainly is far more useful.

I agree with the rest of your observations.

int03h

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:00:55 PM

You are just sad that bitcoins amateur days are over. There are altcoins for you! Bitcoin, whether you like it or not, needs to grow, it can't be a garage pet project and rule the world at the same time.

Well.. then we need to quit moaning about price being what it is - and it being stalled.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:03:23 PM

Sell wall is getting smaller and smaller at Bitstamp, we could jump to $600 today
piramida
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:08:21 PM

Well.. then we need to quit moaning about price being what it is - and it being stalled.

I don't see it being stalled, I find it to be very much alive. I don't see how anybody could moan about an asset which sits at $400 bottom for two months giving everyone a chance to buy, and then goes straight to 550 in two days.

i am satoshi
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 05:49:03 AM

I don't see how anybody could moan about an asset which sits at $400 bottom for two months giving everyone a chance to buy, and then goes straight to 550 in two days.

The people who believed the bears who were saying it would go to $380?

I am only nervous about the rise because it is going up so quickly. But we have all been waiting for this so the quick jump is understandable.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:11:39 AM

I'm not all that worried about a quick rise. As long as the support stays there is nothing wrong with a quick rise. Seems like there might be something big in the works that is yet to be public news also. I'm not thinking about selling for the next few weeks, I think the next bull run has officially begun
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:35:50 AM

I'm not all that worried about a quick rise. As long as the support stays there is nothing wrong with a quick rise. Seems like there might be something big in the works that is yet to be public news also. I'm not thinking about selling for the next few weeks, I think the next bull run has officially begun

Sharp sudden rises followed by much longer staggered correction trends are symptomatic of bear market psychology and serve as a warning signal to traders.

Having said that, Bitcoin has now breached it's last remaining long term downtrend resistance line.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:52:00 AM

I don't see how anybody could moan about an asset which sits at $400 bottom for two months giving everyone a chance to buy, and then goes straight to 550 in two days.

The people who believed the bears who were saying it would go to $380?

I am only nervous about the rise because it is going up so quickly. But we have all been waiting for this so the quick jump is understandable.

It's called a breakaway.

Very typical after a long bear phase. Bears get used to shorting the pops. That plus selling exhaustion and the tinder is set. The rapid rise allows the bulls to pull away quickly while the confused and stunned are frozen in their bear positions that worked repeatedly for months. Momentum traders have yet to scramble and get their money to the exchanges which will only cause a further rise later fueling even more positive feedback loops to come.

The news is spreading.
hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:54:40 AM

Anybody that understand chinese please go to huobi or some chinese bitcoin website and reply here please. Im sure its related to china again...

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:58:15 AM

That plus the short convering.

The McClellan Oscillator had damped down for several days before this indicating the trap was setting as volatility got very quiet.

That's precisely why I like to say Boom because that's what usually happens afterwards which in this case is the Breakaway.
tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 11:52:48 AM

Sharp sudden rises followed by much longer staggered correction trends are symptomatic of bear market psychology and serve as a warning signal to traders.

Having said that, Bitcoin has now breached it's last remaining long term downtrend resistance line.

We're still below the long term price trend though.  Not even close to being in a bubble.  http://cryptocoinstats.com/priceforecaster.php

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 12:33:15 PM

people who are telling Bitcoin is a bubble are wrong from a beginning.

I was waiting so long for a rally like this one! Smiley Already price looks very good and rally is not really stopping at the moment Smiley

Good luck to all of the racers Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: