Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:47:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will variance regress to the mean, or will I continue to get screwed?  (Read 1248 times)
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:12:36 PM

Just looked at the ole Deepbit account, and over the life of my account, I have found 37 blocks.  Thus, I would expect to have mined approximately 1,850 BTC.

HOWEVER, I have only earned 1,453 BTC.  This seems like a huge disparity!  Have I just been insanely lucky, and expect my luck to get worse? 

Wish I had been solo mining.....

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:13:13 PM

Just looked at the ole Deepbit account, and over the life of my account, I have found 37 blocks.  Thus, I would expect to have mined approximately 1,850 BTC.

HOWEVER, I have only earned 1,453 BTC.  This seems like a huge disparity!  Have I just been insanely lucky, and expect my luck to get worse? 

Probably should have been pool hopping.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:13:58 PM

My understanding is that hopping is unethical.....

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:14:45 PM

And profitable.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:31:12 PM

What holliday said, you most likely got above avg lucky on the pool and the other difference is the deepbit fee.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 10:37:27 PM

They you shouldn't have paid people 397BTC to do it. You are subsidizing that behavior.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 05:18:46 AM

They you shouldn't have paid people 397BTC to do it. You are subsidizing that behavior.

I switched to Eclipse.....They claim to be immune from hopping, and I get an instant 3% raise.  Win Win!!

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2012, 05:23:41 AM

I switched to Eclipse.....They claim to be immune from hopping, and I get an instant 3% raise.  Win Win!!

Very nice. I think hopping works itself out eventually. People move to pools that don't use the vulnerable system and only pool hoppers use the ones where hopping helps and eventually give it up because everyone is doing it so it gets so little advantage compared to a set it and forget it pool.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: