Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:58:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 18301 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:54:20 PM

Yeah I misread... why do you say no one uses proportional anymore?  AFAIK, no one uses PPS anymore.

Is this a serious statement?  Huh
+1, BTC Guild is pure PPS only, and they are over 1 thash last I checked. They don't even offer a proportional option like Derpbit.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

PPS is likely the final configuration of BTC pools; all other methods will most likely eventually fade away.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 05:32:03 PM

PPS is likely the final configuration of BTC pools; all other methods will most likely eventually fade away.
No longer evangelizing DGM? Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 05:37:18 PM

No, I am firmly behind DGM, but I also understand the allure of PPS for miners.  It may take quite awhile, but I don't think there's going to be anything but PPS, except with smaller "botique" pools in the somewhat distant future.  All other methods, beyond perhaps pure proportional, just seem too hard to understand for the general populous.  PPS is simple, and people are going to gravitate towards that.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Asiketeisc

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:46:25 PM

Im still on deepbit because i Fucking hate having Three Open Windows just to mine.... rather than One, just like D&T had stated earlier...

We need to Pack all these multiple things into one gui!, Then P2Pool could actually spread!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881

I'm fairly sure Debian has something similar.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 11:44:35 PM

Some more informations about Deepbit.net here. Nothing ground breaking, but it shows they're honest. Also quantifies the difference between expected rewards for PPS and prop (ignoring pool hopping).

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 03:44:01 AM

Im still on deepbit because i Fucking hate having Three Open Windows just to mine.... rather than One, just like D&T had stated earlier...

We need to Pack all these multiple things into one gui!, Then P2Pool could actually spread!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881

I'm fairly sure Debian has something similar.

Wow dude... all AMDhd cards come with MultiDesktop... and hydragrid

.... With your logic i mayaswell openup another monitor and drag the windows over to it, atleast that way i'll save some cpu and ram.
Seriously i dont want to Minimize, or Hide it, I want One Running Window...

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:07:19 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2012, 06:10:16 PM by CAcoins

Sorry, just recently started following the pool threads since I am @ ~20GH and are exploring my options.

What is wrong with prop?  I tired a few other ones (I won't single them out here) but I am still with deepbit because I don't have to worry about invalid blocks.  AFAIK, everybody else you lose with invalid blocks, which I have seen as high as 4% on some pools.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:09:48 PM

Sorry, just recently started following the pool threads since I am @ ~20GH and are exploring my options.

What is wrong with prop?  I tired a few other ones (I won't single them out here) but I am still with deepbit because I don't have to worry about invalid blocks.  AFAIK, everything else you lose with invalid blocks, which I have seen as high as 4% on some pools.
To put it very simply, reduced income is the problem. The cause is pool hoppers, which mine a certain way to maximize their profit while reducing your payout. The solution is to mine on a pool with a hopper-proof payout algorithm, or to become a hopper yourself. (In order of difficulty).

You may wish to consider p2pool for your miners, so that you aren't tied to a pool which can crash. You can keep regular pools for backup.

CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:12:35 PM

Thanks for the info.  How much do you think hoppers affect the prop payouts on a large pool like deepbit?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:15:59 PM

Thanks for the info.  How much do you think hoppers affect the prop payouts on a large pool like deepbit?
I don't think very much.  I have always been very close to my expected calculated payout on deepbit.  Sometimes over, sometimes under.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:23:31 PM

Here is one individual's thoughts. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66026.msg802847#msg802847
This link shows that it can be hopped, but they gain from it is probably not as much as with smaller pools. Read the numbers and make your own choice, I suppose.

CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

Thanks for the data on pool hopping.  It's always good to have data.

I would echo SgtSpike, my payouts on deepbit has always been pretty close to what I expected.  But I will keep exploring.  It seems like every pool has its own issues, but I will check out their respective threads.
Nim

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:49:06 PM

I've always liked Deepbit for the very low variance and consistent up time. However, I did switch recently to slush's pool purely because I wanted to get my hands on some Namecoins and he has the largest merged mining pool. If Deepbit implemented merged mining, I'd switch back in a heart beat.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:05:19 PM

I don't think very much.  I have always been very close to my expected calculated payout on deepbit.  Sometimes over, sometimes under.

Thanks for the data on pool hopping.  It's always good to have data.

I would echo SgtSpike, my payouts on deepbit has always been pretty close to what I expected.  But I will keep exploring.  It seems like every pool has its own issues, but I will check out their respective threads.

Have you guys ever tried a no-fee pool? I've been mining for a long time, and my payouts over time are always better on no-fee pools. Some people can't handle unlucky streaks in variance though. From my experience, lucky streaks even them out over time.

The trick was finding a no-fee pool with 100% up time. After that problem was solved, it became a no-brainer.
Which pool are you currently using then?
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:08:55 PM

Any you would recommend?
I tried EMC a while back, but they were having issues with high stales at the beginning of a new block from all the DGM calculations.  I will check to see if that is resolved.
P2Pool is a thought, but it sounds like it is pretty resource heavy.  Will there be a lot of network traffic compared to a traditional pool?
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:27:19 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2012, 06:43:28 PM by os2sam

I did switch recently to slush's pool purely because I wanted to get my hands on some Namecoins

Once you get your hands on a Namecoin, then what are you going to do with it?  I guess you could then another 193 or so and then trade it for a Bitcoin Smiley.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:29:01 PM

The trick was finding a no-fee pool with 100% up time. After that problem was solved, it became a no-brainer.

It would be a good trick to find ANY pool with a 100% up time.  I have never heard of one yet.
Sam

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:37:21 PM

It would be a good trick to find ANY pool with a 100% up time.  I have never heard of one yet.
Sam
Deepbit is just about.  I haven't seen it go down at all in months.  That's part of the reason I'm still using them.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:46:46 PM

Sam

P2Pool is 100% up time of course. If my mining computers are running, I'm mining. Now, if my power or electricity goes out, I'm not mining, but I wouldn't be with any pool.

So, 100% practical up time.

Doc,
Point taken Wink.

But one must be aware that there is a default donation, I understand, (that isn't advertised???), and you need to disable if you don't want to pay a fee.
Sam

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: