Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:58:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 18301 times)
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:59:27 PM

The trick was finding a no-fee pool with 100% up time. After that problem was solved, it became a no-brainer.

It would be a good trick to find ANY pool with a 100% up time.  I have never heard of one yet.
Sam

P2Pool is 100% up time of course. If my mining computers are running, I'm mining. Now, if my power or electricity goes out, I'm not mining, but I wouldn't be with any pool.

So, 100% practical up time.

Doc,
Point taken Wink.

But one must be aware that there is a default donation, I understand, (that isn't advertised???), and you need to disable if you don't want to pay a fee.
Sam
The fee is stated in plain English on the P2Pool wiki page.

Cool, glad to hear it.

But you then are paying a fee, even if knowingly and voluntary.  I have knowingly volunteered to pay fee's too.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 07:05:19 PM

Any you would recommend?
I tried EMC a while back, but they were having issues with high stales at the beginning of a new block from all the DGM calculations.  I will check to see if that is resolved.
P2Pool is a thought, but it sounds like it is pretty resource heavy.  Will there be a lot of network traffic compared to a traditional pool?

It's fixed ... block processing time was reduced from 6 minutes to 4 - 6 seconds.  Mostly due to an unindexed column in the DB, but there were some other optimizations as well.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:09:42 PM

Any you would recommend?
I tried EMC a while back, but they were having issues with high stales at the beginning of a new block from all the DGM calculations.  I will check to see if that is resolved.
P2Pool is a thought, but it sounds like it is pretty resource heavy.  Will there be a lot of network traffic compared to a traditional pool?

It's fixed ... block processing time was reduced from 6 minutes to 4 - 6 seconds.  Mostly due to an unindexed column in the DB, but there were some other optimizations as well.

Thanks Inaba.  I might head back your way to see how things go. 
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:12:18 PM

Cool, glad to hear it.

But you then are paying a fee, even if knowingly and voluntary.  I have knowingly volunteered to pay fee's too.
Sam
you can't disable the fees on the top 3 pools.  Wink

Of course you can.  We have the freedom to not to use those pools if we don't want to pay the fee's.  I choose to pay those fee's because they provide a service that has a value to me.  Also I "donate" to another pool because that pool has a value to me as well.
Sam

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:17:53 PM

Cool, glad to hear it.

Sam
you can't disable the fees on the top 3 pools.  Wink

Of course you can.  We have the freedom to not to use those pools if we don't want to pay the fee's.  I choose to pay those fee's because they provide a service that has a value to me.  Also I "donate" to another pool because that pool has a value to me as well.
Sam

You can't use the service without paying the fees. I can mine on P2Pool without paying anything to anyone except myself.  Wink

One of these days I will look into P2Pool and estimate for myself the value for that software.  And if it is as good as you say I'm sure I'll be paying/donating more than the default .05%.
Sam

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:38:16 PM

Cool, glad to hear it.

But you then are paying a fee, even if knowingly and voluntary.  I have knowingly volunteered to pay fee's too.
Sam
you can't disable the fees on the top 3 pools.  Wink

Sam

You can't use the service without paying the fees. I can mine on P2Pool without paying anything to anyone except myself.  Wink

Edit: You are intentionally wording things to make it seem as if there is no difference, when there most certainly is. I'm not sure why you go out of your way to do that, but I think it's kind of silly.  Cheesy

There is no difference between paying a fee on a fee based pool or donating on a pool that allows you to use it with no fee.  It is the individuals choice.  Being upset that Deepbit, BTC Guild and Slush are successful and fee based is kind of silly. Cheesy
Sam

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:08:54 PM

There is some overhead to p2pool but it isn't significant.

For a large farm you can use 1 p2pool node and point all your local rigs at that node.

I have a machine I use just for p2pool, then my workstation acts as a backup.  A conventional pool is the tertiary backup.  cgminer points everything at p2pool, with other two options as failovers.

p2pool has never gone down since I started using it.
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 01:52:43 AM

There is some overhead to p2pool but it isn't significant.

For a large farm you can use 1 p2pool node and point all your local rigs at that node.

I have a machine I use just for p2pool, then my workstation acts as a backup.  A conventional pool is the tertiary backup.  cgminer points everything at p2pool, with other two options as failovers.

p2pool has never gone down since I started using it.

Thanks for the info.  I like the fact that there is no central point of failure for p2pool.  The problem for me though is I am running fpgas with only 1 cpu/mb.  It is a decent setup: core i7 2600k, win7 on SSDs, so I think it should handle p2pool without a problem, but I don't really want to install bitcoind on that machine.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 02:22:08 AM

Oh you FPGA miners with your fancy toys.

Well p2pool needs bitcoind no way around that.  Alternatively you can connect to a public p2pool node.  Some charge a marginal fee (~0.5%), and some are free.
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 02:59:34 AM

Yap, cute little toys they are  Cheesy

Thanks for the info tho. I think I will probably switch over to p2pool eventually, just now sure when I would take the plunge.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 03:01:39 AM

Thanks for the info tho. I think I will probably switch over to p2pool eventually, just now sure when I would take the plunge.

Let me know if you need help to switch to P2Pool... I can setup your Linux P2Pool server for free!   Wink
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 03:35:35 AM

Let me know if you need help to switch to P2Pool... I can setup your Linux P2Pool server for free!   Wink

Thanks for the offer!  I will let you know.  I am sure I have a spare mobo somewhere for a dedicated p2pool/bitcoind box.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: