Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:31:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $100,000 Bounty for Software that Replaces the Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 3584 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:09:51 PM

Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/oliver-janssens-creates-100000-bounty-software-will-replace-bitcoin-foundation/2014/05/17
Drew Cordell
17/05/2014

Olivier Janssens, an early adopter of Bitcoin has created a $100,000 bounty for software that will replace the need for the Bitcoin Foundation. The bounty of about 250 Bitcoins will be given to the developer that develops the best software for the goals of Janssens. Janssens views the Bitcoin Foundation as the exact thing that Bitcoin was created to avoid. Despite Bitcoin being a transparent network of transactions, the Bitcoin Foundation is not transparent in their actions, nor do they always ask the opinions of the community before implementing new updates or technology. Janssens seeks to have a platform created that will make all developments democratic and controlled by users of the Bitcoin community.
CCN

The following is his description of the bounty:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Olivier Janssens, early adopter and Bitcoin millionaire. The Bitcoin foundation has had its role in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, it is internally recreating the same archaic political system that fails to work for society. Bitcoin is the currency of the internet generation. It puts the power back into the hands of the people. You cannot expect its main representative organisation to be exactly the opposite: A non-transparent, political and secretive elite. We have been trying to push the BF for transparency and clear communication for years, without result. Meanwhile they started creating even more political structures inside, such as committees, which can only be accessed by knowing the right people. At the bitcoin 2014 conference, organised by this same organisation, I expected to see full internet participation + live streaming of their events. Especially of the BF member meeting, where they are supposed to get input from their members and disclose what they have been up to. Instead, the board decided that the event is not to be recorded or broadcasted. We have also no idea or say on how our money is spent. Half of their board gets elected by industry members (a group of about 100 companies), and recently lead to another extremely controversial election of Brock Pierce, which has a history of being connected to cases involving fraud and pedophilia. This needs to stop.

We as an internet community, don’t need public figures to decide what’s good for us. We need to stop politicking and start focussing on the projects directly. For example, we need a project to fund the core development of bitcoin, and put our money straight to that. We need a project to have lobbyists in Washington, to fight the anti-bitcoin lobbyists from Mastercard, and to prevent the government from destroying the currency. Basically, we don’t need another intermediary. We can do this ourselves. Therefore, I want to announce today that I am organizing a contest and giving $100k USD in BTC, to the group that can come up with the best platform to make this happen. I am thinking of a system where prominent people can voice their opinion, where people can propose projects, and where the core devs can actively show their roadmap with detailed features + costs, and where we can vote on the features being implemented by sending bitcoins towards the feature of our choice. This will allow the core dev team to expand by being able to add/pay more devs for feature requests which are fully funded. Maybe we can even evolve to a system later where anyone can work on a feature, which, when programmed properly (approved by the core team), will receive the bounty. The same applies to lobbyists, we just send bitcoins towards the one that we consider the most competent for the job. This will allow Bitcoin to grow and expand at a rate it deserves, a rate that a political organisation such as the foundation can never accomplish.

Let’s liberate bitcoin.

Oliver

The deadline of the contest will inhibit the ability of some Developers from entering. For a system that could change Bitcoin entirely, one month is not very much time at all to complete all of the coding and testing needed successfully to integrate this platform. This bounty is the largest that has ever been placed (In terms of value) for the development of a Bitcoin platform. Furthermore, Janssens has moved 250 Bitcoin to an address and has personally signed the address to verify his identity and the legitimacy of his bounty.

With the deadline set for June 17th, these changes could be coming very soon. With the successful completion of the bounty, there will likely be a power struggle between Janssens and the Bitcoin Foundation. As of right now, the Bitcoin Foundation has made no comment on the bounty placed. It is very likely that the Bitcoin Foundation will not want to step down from power once the platform has been completed. This platform would give the Bitcoin users power to decide the changes and developments that Bitcoin would undergo by popular vote as well as remove the need for a mediator in any decisions made for the currency. By implementing a platform such as the Janssens’ proposed platform, every decision made regarding the future of Bitcoin would be known by every user of the currency and those users would have a say in what they see as the best route for Bitcoin to proceed in the future. Everything about the decisions regarding Bitcoin would become transparent, and each user of the currency would have equal say in the important decisions that would have to be made in the future.

The platform will need a lot of work to ensure that users cannot abuse the voting system and vote more than once from a single network. The rigorous requirements of this project could take developers months to create, though the massive bounty will give incentive to some to work tirelessly on completing the platform in such a short amount of time. The winning platform will likely need rigorous testing before being implemented after it has been chosen as the winner. With a global platform that will allow users to decide the fate of Bitcoin, it is important to have airtight security and abuse prevention. The system will need to be tested for numerous security threats and be incredibly secure.

We will keep you updated on the status of the bounty and any announcements made by the Bitcoin Foundation as they become available to us. The changes this platform could bring to us are immense and hold huge potential for the future of Bitcoin.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 02:21:24 AM

Original thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/25sf4f/100000_bounty_for_software_platform_that_can/

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 02:48:30 AM

Are you sure $100K USD is enough? Remember, theymos doled out $350K USD as a down payment of the $1M USD total to upgrade this forum several months ago. To date, nobody can yet update their avatar image. But, perhaps, the developer is holding that aspect fix hostage till the ransom of another $350K USD is paid. Seems, everybody wants to be a terrorist these days.

Note to self: Don't make a habit of penning the words hostage, ransom and terrorist in the same post, for it fucks with the NSA too badly.

Also: $100,000; one million; down payment; $1,000,000; $350,000; fix; payment; developer; paid; Dole; avatar; image; days; everybody; or theymos.  Grin
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:56:01 AM

Olivier Janssens, an early adopter of Bitcoin has created a $100,000 bounty for software that will replace the need for the Bitcoin Foundation.
Janssens project and the MIT experiment in Boston are the two of the most exciting developments for Bitcoin this year.
It will be exciting to see how it comes to life.  Smiley

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:44:39 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 05:57:10 AM by jonald_fyookball

Are you sure $100K USD is enough? Remember, theymos doled out $350K USD as a down payment of the $1M USD total to upgrade this forum several months ago.

A million dollars for forum upgrades?  

Wow.  I haven't seen the requirements but I would bet he grossly overpaid.

I've had a lot more complex things developed for a lot less.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 05:46:37 AM

I already did this, I was going to create a pool that can help replace the functionality of the Bitcoin Foundation.

http://www.bitpools.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCP8NeXasY

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
calaber24p

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

If this is life , then I prefer death !

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:47:15 AM

Are you sure $100K USD is enough? Remember, theymos doled out $350K USD as a down payment of the $1M USD total to upgrade this forum several months ago.

A million dollars for forum upgrades?  

Wow.  I haven't seen the requirements but I would bet he grossly overpaid.

I've had a lot more complex things developed for a lot less.

It wasnt anywhere near worth that amount at the time. The guy is bringing up old news
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:57:49 AM

I already did this, I was going to create a pool that can help replace the functionality of the Bitcoin Foundation.

"It is our goal to use BitCoin's unique infrastructure to implement a fair, transparent and secure voting method in combination of a unique way of pooling the BitCoins of many (or few) individuals toward common goals."

Are you going to apply to win the $100,000 bounty?
It seems like a win/win for both projects.

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 07:04:03 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 07:15:48 AM by Elwar

"It is our goal to use BitCoin's unique infrastructure to implement a fair, transparent and secure voting method in combination of a unique way of pooling the BitCoins of many (or few) individuals toward common goals."

Are you going to apply to win the $100,000 bounty?

I sent the guy a message on reddit. I will not open the source though, but that does not make the voting any less transparent.

I will be leaving Beta soon anyway, I had considered replacing many of the Bitcoin Foundation roles with this anyway. And much more.

I don't go on Reddit much but an upvote would be good to get some discussion on this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/25sf4f/100000_bounty_for_software_platform_that_can/chku16g

Such funding would help push me toward leaving my job and working full time on the website. Then again, Bitcoin over $800 will do the same.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:29:12 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 08:25:03 AM by franky1

love the concept. i have in the design stage something similar that is an attempt to be a decentralised foundation.

the conundrum i am having is.

i have thought of solutions to a few processes in my design to automate displaying idea's/proposals, where comments, suggestions and brainstorming can be done and so that the website owner is simply a guy that only makes sure the website is online and everything else is self controlled by the community. and funds are transferred by people sending from their own personal bitcoin-core / other clients instead of needing depositing onto the site. but still stuck on how to ensure the nominee's/end recipients are not just scammers with a cunning proposal.

would requesting that all nominee's/proposal makers to fully dox themselves as part of their proposal be the answer/enough?

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:22:40 AM

You want to oust Brock Pierce with ... bots?

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:25:29 AM

I'm super excited about this!

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:43:25 AM

To Olivier Janssens,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

There is FAR TOO MUCH work to be done for any one Foundation or Committee. That is absolutely obvious. I don't care what anyone says otherwise. This centralization at the Bitcoin Foundation is too much work for any one group of people, especially part timers.

I believe The Bitcoin Foundation should evolve into what some want to focus on a great deal.
 An organization for Businesses involved with Bitcoin.

Please seriously consider renaming The Bitcoin Foundation to much better fit on what it's focus mostly is:
Please strongly consider renaming it to something such as:

"The Bitcoin Business Community Foundation".
=============================

The original name is far too overburdening and overbearing.
 Like it's "Bitcoin Central" and all that comes with that.
 That's a lot to live up to, maybe impossible for any one group!
 At least so far it's been quite the spectacle, and more.

Besides, bitcointalk.org (here) is Bitcoin Central, lol...

I believe together with Olivier Janssens idea of a successful inclusion of software would make the vast majority of all of us much more content, if not any happier at times, so this matter could be much closer to conclusion.

drumroll teaser:

1) Bitcointalk.org

2) "The Bitcoin Business Community Foundation" (or whatever)

3) Bitcoin Core Developers Foundation & Community @ BitcoinCore.org

4) TheBitcoinSociety.org or Bitcoin.org (automated democratization of Bitcoin Foundation)

IF that software can automate the democratization of Bitcoin successfully then why not? After all it's merely mob rule right? lol. But seriously, it's a great, timely idea, and many other groups and organizations, even governments, may eventually very well adopt such an approach if someone can design and build a worthy product. What better than to have a Bitcoiner come up with the first successful working model?

Next:

The Bitcoin Core Developers really should have their very own and completely Independently control over their Core Community, including bitcoin.org and bitcoincore.org, funded by all the Bitcoin Community, and whatever other means we can devise up. I don't know exactly how the Bitcoin Core Developers communities is presently structured, but I firmly believe they should be rulers of their own work with last say in everything concerning any and all bitcoin-Qt Core work, just as I stated, completely Independent, answer to no one, but simply always  willing listeners to the Bitcoin Community, and it's needs and desires with Bitcoin-Qt Core.

Set the Core Developers Free, IF not already so. Let them FOCUS on their expertise: Development. Let no one rule over them but their own leadership. And let the greater bitcoin community win their minds to the greater bitcoin communities desires for Bitcoin-Qt Core's future innovations. But always make it the Developers that have the last call and say so. No one else should be allowed to make final determinations on any Bitcoin-Qt Core software innovation decisions. Their the Software Experts, no one else. They should always have the last say. Fully autonomous/independent/of everything else related to Bitcoin. Hopefully their that way already. I just don't know the answer, sadly. Shameful, I know...

Only then do we have a four point set of organizations that are much better aligned and focused.
=============================================================

1) Bitcointalk.org - Bitcoin Grand Central Station.

2) "The Bitcoin Business Community Foundation" (or whatever Business name they come up with)

3) Bitcoin Core Developers Foundation & Community @ BitcoinCore.org (a new website, already exists, just checked for it)

4) TheBitcoinSociety.org or Bitcoin.org (adopt or merely reside at bitcoin.org, if possible, if not, then it's own webpage and name)
note: TheBitcoinSociety.org already exists too, I didn't know about this until just now. I have no idea who that is Huh

*With Core Bitcoin-Qt downloads directly from both Bitcoincore.org and Bitcoin.org for redundancy and safety purposes.
* And nice, easy Digital Signatures on all new Bitcoin-Qt downloads for ease of verifying them to regular users. Plus SHA256 sigs too, yea yea, I know...bla bla...PLEASE do this. Thanks.

Thank You BitcoinCoreDevelopers, your seriously the stone cold nuts! (the best poker hand that is possible).

So I toss this up in  the air and I will let everyone else that cares to mull it over and whatever else they can come up with add to this or tear it up and come up with better ideas.

It's late, this took only a bit of time, maybe it isn't okay at all, nor acceptable, but toss it in the air I have done, I believe it's for the very best. At least it's the best solutions I have come up with yet, with a lot of help from our friends, especially Olivier Janssens.

Hopefully Olivier Janssens approach will greatly help evolve the Bitcoin Foundation into a Bitcoin Business Foundation possibly, and fully automate the new "TheBitcoinSociety.org" or whatever name is finally adopted. This was the 1st name I cooked up quickly just now.

http://thebitcoinsociety.org/ - who is this???

I am very tired and cross eyed, good night...

A true, automated Social Democracy for Bitcoin?
Beautiful, Perfect, Wonderful. Make it so.
Already I am dreaming of this.

Again Olivier Janssens,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Bitcoin is Freedom.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 09:51:17 AM

but still stuck on how to ensure the nominee's/end recipients are not just scammers with a cunning proposal.

would requesting that all nominee's/proposal makers to fully dox themselves as part of their proposal be the answer/enough?

My end goal is to have it very decentralized, but as a baby steps type of thing I am centralizing some parts until I can decentralize it.

The proposal process will require verification by my company, from just verifying simple things for simple proposals to full identification and background.

Each proposal will include the proposer and any information they provide, after time they will be rated much like on ebay.

My long term decentralization strategy will include multi-signature where I will have third party escrow services (currently BitPools will escrow) hold one of a 2:3, have the proposer hold another of the 2:3 and have the pool voters designate a user or users to hold the other part of the 2:3.

Going further it will not just be a single escrow, but both proposer and voters choose an escrow service...if there is a dispute then both escrow services review the problem. If they cannot come to a solution then a random (higher) escrow escrow service will break the tie. This is sort of how private businesses hire arbitration services to handle disputes all the time.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:03:42 AM

but still stuck on how to ensure the nominee's/end recipients are not just scammers with a cunning proposal.

My end goal is to have it very decentralized, but as a baby steps type of thing I am centralizing some parts until I can decentralize it.

The proposal process will require verification by my company, from just verifying simple things for simple proposals to full identification and background.

Each proposal will include the proposer and any information they provide, after time they will be rated much like on ebay.

My long term decentralization strategy will include multi-signature where I will have third party escrow services (currently BitPools will escrow) hold one of a 2:3, have the proposer hold another of the 2:3 and have the pool voters designate a user or users to hold the other part of the 2:3.

Going further it will not just be a single escrow, but both proposer and voters choose an escrow service...if there is a dispute then both escrow services review the problem. If they cannot come to a solution then a random (higher) escrow escrow service will break the tie. This is sort of how private businesses hire arbitration services to handle disputes all the time.

thinking of the customer opinion. having the foundation as the money store and/or the multisig provider are technically the same thing. as the site can easily store all 3 keys as it was the service that produced them. im seeking a non foundation controlled monitisation of idea's solution where the only control the people behind the foundation have to do is site maintenance. no fund management, no vote controlling. as that should be decentralized and community controlled.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 10:21:09 AM

thinking of the customer opinion. having the foundation as the money store and/or the multisig provider are technically the same thing. as the site can easily store all 3 keys as it was the service that produced them. im seeking a non foundation controlled monitisation of idea's solution where the only control the people behind the foundation have to do is site maintenance. no fund management, no vote controlling. as that should be decentralized and community controlled.

I believe there is a way that each party can produce their keys without central knowledge of all 3. That type of stuff is beyond my knowledge, that is why I have not yet tackled the multisig stuff.

Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:23:25 AM

Interesting, very interesting.
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:13:12 PM

How can you have a software program that is an organization that executes change in the real world?

Bitcoin foundation has lobbyists that physically walk places and speak things with actual mouths.

Write letters, etc.

Seems to me AI would be needed for this.  And robots.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:39:30 PM

How can you have a software program that is an organization that executes change in the real world?

Bitcoin foundation has lobbyists that physically walk places and speak things with actual mouths.

Write letters, etc.

The software they want is a way to organize people to pay for those lobbyists in a decentralized way that people can vote on how their money is spent.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:40:48 PM

Write letters, etc.

Agree.  the whole thing sounds foolish.

The foundation also pays for Gavin Andresen's full time commitment to Bitcoin,
so it doesn't make sense from that point of view either.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: