Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:10:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitSlack - bitcoin OS in development  (Read 8864 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 07:37:00 AM

I started a little project, a minimalistic install of slackware for people that use bitcoin and I need your feedback to know what software would you like in it.
So far we have Tor, Privoxy and it's GUI, Vidalia and as a WM, XFCE.
I'd like to know if Tor should be enabled system-wide by default too.

PS. The project will be free.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eugene2k

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:12:26 AM

I think you should first define your priorities. Why would anybody want to use your OS? Surely not just because it has a few programs installed by default?
Anonymous

July 29, 2010, 10:19:49 AM

I think you should first define your priorities. Why would anybody want to use your OS? Surely not just because it has a few programs installed by default?

Something lightweight like this would be nice on a low powered device I call a "transaction computer".You could transfer your coin to your ultra secure "transaction computer" and know there is an extremely small chance any trading is trackable or logged.Maybe such a device would only connect to the network to send and receive your coins and then close up tighter than a fish's bum otherwise lol.
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:33:45 PM

Do you have a project page?

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:40:45 PM

Something lightweight like this would be nice on a low powered device I call a "transaction computer".You could transfer your coin to your ultra secure "transaction computer" and know there is an extremely small chance any trading is trackable or logged.Maybe such a device would only connect to the network to send and receive your coins and then close up tighter than a fish's bum otherwise lol.

The transaction database isn't really lightweight in terms of disk space, especially if bitcoins become popular.

So, if a transaction computer needs disk space, why not install a normal distro with better support?

Any micro-distribution is going to be under-audited, and suffer a lag time on security patches to the base OS -- not exactly the ideal target for a "locked up tight" transaction computer.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Anonymous

July 30, 2010, 06:53:12 AM

The transaction database isn't really lightweight in terms of disk space, especially if bitcoins become popular.

So, if a transaction computer needs disk space, why not install a normal distro with better support?

Any micro-distribution is going to be under-audited, and suffer a lag time on security patches to the base OS -- not exactly the ideal target for a "locked up tight" transaction computer.

Is a client device possible with your server/desktop sitting at home which you could vpn into?
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 30, 2010, 06:58:56 AM

Is a client device possible with your server/desktop sitting at home which you could vpn into?

Sure.  That's reinventing the client terminal, a dumb hardware device that communicates with a backend payment system.

jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 31, 2010, 09:01:03 PM

Another thing to consider is patent issues inherent in the bitcoin implementation.

bitcoin requires EC-DSA, which has been disabled in Fedora after legal review:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_patents

I wanted to package bitcoind for Fedora, but gave up, because we cannot distribute binaries due to these patent issues.

wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2010, 10:36:10 AM

Project discontinued due to lack of positive feedback.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: