Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:31:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did ebay and paypal screw you over for using BTC {Class Action}  (Read 2954 times)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:12:02 AM

Both paypal and ebay have been banning accounts for months if you had anything to do with bitcoin.

I personally had over 5,000 held by paypal and had to refund 50+ orders on ebay back in December 2013.

Now both Paypal and Ebay are trying to add bitcoin.

Paypal has already tired to get patent for btc wallets and ebay filed for a patent for auctions with BTC back in June of 2013. So all the blocking of accounts was just to slow down competitors from growing too big too fast.

Seems to me that they where just trying to kill any competitors while they where small.

I propose we pull together and  show Paypal and Ebay that they can't getaway with holding us down while they get ready.

I spoke with both paypal and ebay back in December when they where blocking my accounts, and they assured me that they would never ever even consider adding BTC. I also told them that I would organize a class action and Boycott if I found out that they where just trying to kill to competitors. 

You cant compete with their bankroll for BTC development, but you had a head start on them, and they took that away from you to hold you down. Don't let them get away with it.

Why even make such a stupid post if you didn't already start doing something about it. Sounds like you want someone else to do the work for you. This isn't going anywhere because you're not serious. Just delete this, big words mean nothing. Actions over words.

I have been emailing class action lawyers all morning. I am even planing to place a retainer out of my own funds. We will wait for a week or two to let word spread of what we are doing.

You underestimate me and just how far I'm willing to take this. It's ok if none of you join up with me. I will fight for you anyway even if I have to do it alone. I am not afraid to stand up for whats right.

We cannot allow new startups of be suppressed by the big players.

Aren't class action lawsuits expensive (like in the 40k+ range just for the retainer)?

Anyways, if you get something going, I'm positive others will join in. Asking if anyone else is interested is a bit ridiculous; you should already know they are. The question is whether or not you can actually get anyone to pursue them.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Crindon

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:03:43 AM

I haven't been screwed by Paypal directly. Paypal has helped me a bit regarding Bitcoin and BFL and I was able to get my refund from them. They didn't lock my account. For other things though, I've had issues with Paypal. I will no longer use them, at least to the best of my abilities. When other sites start taking bitcoin and other altcoins, I will completely separate myself from Paypal.
mailmansDOG

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:08:12 AM

You have no idea how pro-bitcoin ebay is. They even have a cryptocurrency section.Ebay has even filed paterns that mention bitcoin inside them. In the future we might even be exchanging coins in their website.

And Ebay owns paypal so yeah...

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:09:02 AM

I haven't been screwed by Paypal directly. Paypal has helped me a bit regarding Bitcoin and BFL and I was able to get my refund from them. They didn't lock my account. For other things though, I've had issues with Paypal. I will no longer use them, at least to the best of my abilities. When other sites start taking bitcoin and other altcoins, I will completely separate myself from Paypal.

I got screwed by them in an unrelated matter as well. I logged in one day and found $4800 in my account that wasn't mine. I reported it (because it's the right thing to do) and they froze MY funds (and that 4800) for 12 months while "investigating" where it came from. After 12 months they stated that they couldn't figure out where the money came from so they'd have to confiscate it, and then they withdrew my remaining funds to my bank and they locked my account permanently.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
CryptoPowers (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:56:42 PM

Just got this response form Attorneys:

Thank you for contacting our firm regarding you potential claim against Ebay/Paypal. In order to evaluate your potential claim, we will need to review a copy of the account agreement/Terms & Conditions of Use that you agreed to when you set up your account(s).  Please send me a copy of any agreements you have with Ebay or Paypal.

I'm not sure where I have this info at, but I will look for it. Any of you that wish to join in please forward any info you may have on account agreement/Terms & Conditions of Use for ebay and paypal.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:59:56 PM

Just got this response form Attorneys:

Thank you for contacting our firm regarding you potential claim against Ebay/Paypal. In order to evaluate your potential claim, we will need to review a copy of the account agreement/Terms & Conditions of Use that you agreed to when you set up your account(s).  Please send me a copy of any agreements you have with Ebay or Paypal.

I'm not sure where I have this info at, but I will look for it. Any of you that wish to join in please forward any info you may have on account agreement/Terms & Conditions of Use for ebay and paypal.

Because the ToS changes when you join, you can just pull the one from their site since that's the current agreement and will represent the contract.

ampere9765

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

I really don't understand how OP believes anyone has a leg to stand on here? You use their service, you agree to the terms. Good luck trying to argue against Ebay's legal team hehe.
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:52:28 AM

Yes, what is the cause of action here? To pursue a class action you would need to have a claim as an individual first, then others in the same position can join the class.
CryptoPowers (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:27:08 AM

Been informed by lawyers that when you sing up for ebay you waive the right to bring a class action in court and must do it case by case in arbitration. Not looking good at this point. 
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:32:04 AM

Been informed by lawyers that when you sing up for ebay you waive the right to bring a class action in court and must do it case by case in arbitration. Not looking good at this point. 

Sorry to hear that but not surprised. These monoliths always have clever legalese protections for themselves that your average person could never hope to compete with.

TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:46:50 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. Was it due to the TOS?

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:05:19 AM

Sorry to hear that but not surprised. These monoliths always have clever legalese protections for themselves that your average person could never hope to compete with.

It's worth mentioning that what's in the ToS does not always hold up in court. If it's something that a judge deems as being invalid, they can throw out anything and everything found within the agreement. This is often seen in things like prenuptials, where a judge can decide that although both parties agreed and signed, it was unfair to one party or the other and they are disregarding details.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:51:25 AM

think there is a clause on ebay and paypal terms of service(y, that one that you put as read even without reading, when you sign up) saying you can't use them for buying and selling currencies. If is this, they are legally ""right"" to do it, if you are related to bitcoin but not selling or buying cryptos, then you might have a change.

But this is capitalism, we have the choice of don't use them and support others that use and accepts btc, like bitpay.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:48:10 AM

there are already tons of people who hate ebay/paypal.. if you google up "paypal complaint" you'll see tons of them. nothing will likely happen.

this is why i try to avoid using paypal as much as i often can.
Just delete your account. I did that back in the days, when they froze Wikileaks-funds.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:55:45 AM

there are already tons of people who hate ebay/paypal.. if you google up "paypal complaint" you'll see tons of them. nothing will likely happen.

Just delete your account. I did that back in the days, when they froze Wikileaks-funds.

Sadly, there are things that require Paypal. It sucks but it's something we just have to live with. They've basically monopolized things like eBay.

turvarya

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:02:03 AM

Sadly, there are things that require Paypal. It sucks but it's something we just have to live with. They've basically monopolized things like eBay.
I haven't used Ebay for years, but since Ebay bought Paypal, I believe you with that.
But which other Service isn't usable without Paypal.
It might be, because I live in Europe, but I never had any Problems, since I deleted my Paypal-Account.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:10:55 AM

I haven't used Ebay for years, but since Ebay bought Paypal, I believe you with that.
It might be, because I live in Europe, but I never had any Problems, since I deleted my Paypal-Account.

A lot of people will only accept and pay out in Paypal. Google Wallet, while it is a contender, isn't as widely accepted.

turvarya

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:28:51 AM

A lot of people will only accept and pay out in Paypal. Google Wallet, while it is a contender, isn't as widely accepted.
Why? Is your Banking System that bad? I can use SEPA in the whole EU, without a second thought. There are Services like https://www.sofort.com, where the vendor also gets an instant confirmation, that I made a valid Transaction.
Just outside of the EU it is not that easy.

Are you talking about vendors inside your Country(USA?) or outside?

Trashbat

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:17:36 PM

Does anyone ever succesfully sue ebay? This is likely to fail as well.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:06:43 PM

Why? Is your Banking System that bad? I can use SEPA in the whole EU, without a second thought. There are Services like https://www.sofort.com, where the vendor also gets an instant confirmation, that I made a valid Transaction.
Just outside of the EU it is not that easy.

Are you talking about vendors inside your Country(USA?) or outside?

I'm talking about individuals. There are many people who will only pay using Paypal (due to protection), which leads to a situation where Paypal has been embedded. If you send a bank transfer, there is absolutely no recourse if you get scammed; it's like sending Bitcoin. There are just far too many scams to rely on that. Not to mention nobody is going to do a bank transfer for $3.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: