Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:27:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Setup Guide] Blackarrow Bitfury 16 chip board support and tuning thread  (Read 13344 times)
nbtcminer (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2014, 12:27:48 AM by nbtcminer

This thread is to help people with Blackarrow's Bitfury 16 chip board:

Preface:

I noticed that while there was a plethora of information on how to setup MegaBigPower / BFSB Bitfury equipment, I had some trouble finding info on the Blackarrow Bitfury hardware and software setup. So I decided to make my own support / tunning thread to help others benefit from my research and to further discussion on the topic:

Hardware Setup:

1.) Setup metal hex spacer bars; all advice / pictures of actual setups show two bars between the boards. This likely is to allow for maximum thermal dissipation and better airflow.
2.) Face the units with the heat sinks towards the ceiling and fasten all the hex spacers (two apart) until you have chain of 6 constructed (6 is the maximum allowable per SPI daisy chain). *Note; While orientation doesn't seem to matter; I have use the following configuration with success; left spi connector = chain up to the right spi, right spi on last board to the controller spi. Make sure the pin outs line up for (i.e. pin 1 on the connectors line up)
3.) Connect the controller to RPi with the 26p female to female cable (once again the pin out should line up, P1 to P1) and finish connecting power to all the units (either via barrel connectors or screw top).

Software Setup (Quick 15 minute setup):

1. Download the raspberry pi image from here: http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/download/8gb%20pi%20-%20chainminer%20-%20v2.imgc
2. Write it with: HDD Raw Copy ver.1.02 portable: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/HDDRawCopy1.02Portable.exe
(*note: Booting will get a DHCP IP address; use your router to look up the address assigned by DHCP.)
3. Login with:
user: root
password: pi
4. Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

4a. Please change the passwords for users pi and root.

passwd pi
   passwd root

*Note: Write down your passwords!

4b. Edit the file /opt/bitfury/proxy_pools.conf to setup your pool details.
If you do not do this, your miner will produce bitcoins for someone else.

nano /opt/bitfury/proxy_pools.conf

*Note: Ctrl-X; then hit y for yes and save your miner info.

4c. Your raspberry pi is configured to restart every 20 minutes.
The reason is to make sure if the miner hangs it will resume at some point.
To remove this feature, run this command:

crontab -e

and erase this line

*/20 * * * *  killall -9 screen; screen -wipe; /etc/rc.local

*Note: Mine has been up for a few days and is working properly without the resets; ymmv

4d. Update stratum-proxy software found in here /opt/bitfury/stratum-mining-proxy:

cd /opt/bitfury/stratum-mining-proxy
mv mining_proxy.py mining_proxy.py_old
git pull
python setup.py build
cp -f build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/* mining_libs/
cp build/scripts-2.7/mining_proxy.py .

4e. then, edit /opt/bitfury/chainminer/jobconnect.cpp:

cd /opt/bitfury/chainminer/
nano jobconnect.cpp

change this:

hosts_t hosts[]={
                {"Basic cHBjb2lucnBjOkYxZm4xOXk4M01KdGtWRTN0aFN3YUtBTjY3Sk5FVlBkWktNZW5iNUQ3eFI0","http://192.168.0.5:9... stratum client
//              {"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
//                      ,{"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
//                              ,{"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
                                        };

to this:

hosts_t hosts[]={
              {"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
                      ,{"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
                              ,{"Basic dHl0dXMucGkyOnB1YmxpY3Bhc3M=","http://127.0.0.1:833... stratum client
                                        };

Then type:

make     (*Note: may take a few minutes)
mstart

Now you should be up and running with your blackarrow bitfury 16 chip boards! Congrats! Post in this thread if you need help and I'll try to lend a hand where I can. If you found this thread useful, please send a tip to: 13Te98Jcyqg7BTCJKW9q8PiZme7S8LE31c

*Important Note: The RPI image black arrow gives you is set to overclocked already; it has been set to 900mhz (high).
nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:02:45 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2014, 08:20:35 PM by nbtcminer

Reserved post for additional info / accessories to purchase for this board

Here's an alternative connectors to power your blackarrow bitfury devices:

2-pin Curved Screw terminal blocks:
http://www.dx.com/p/2-pin-curved-screw-terminal-block-connectors-green-20-piece-pack-146624#.U3kWnvldV8E

6-pin Male to Female Graphics Card Power Extension Cable:
http://www.dx.com/p/jiahui-6-pin-male-to-female-graphics-card-power-extension-cable-black-white-309827#.U3kXcPldV8E

Brass Threaded 30mm spacers / standoffs:
http://www.dx.com/p/brass-threaded-stand-off-hex-screw-pillars-w-nuts-m3-x-30mm-6-30-pcs-148712#.U4ZENvldVT4
nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:05:20 PM

third reserved post for posting Kano's cgminer setup info with additions.
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2219
Merit: 1057

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:20:34 PM

my boards are running, happy to help anyone having problems.

space for rent, shilling for sats
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:30:03 PM

Thanks for setting it up, may I link to it on our site (with credits to you obviously)
nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:32:28 PM

Thanks for setting it up, may I link to it on our site (with credits to you obviously)

I've got no problem with that; go right ahead Smiley
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:06:47 AM

any one else getting a lot of duplicate shares? pool reports around 33k for 750gh, is this normal for these boards?

nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:47:27 PM

any one else getting a lot of duplicate shares? pool reports around 33k for 750gh, is this normal for these boards?

I'm seeing some high dupe as well. going to take a look at how cgminer performs once I tweak it.
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:28:00 PM

are you powering the controller with a barrel lead or something else or does it get power from the pi?

dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:22:48 AM

I'm seeing some high dupe as well. going to take a look at how cgminer performs once I tweak it.

please share your settings, i am using 4.3.3 on default which is supposed to auto tune but saw no improvement over 24 hours.

nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:31:48 PM

are you powering the controller with a barrel lead or something else or does it get power from the pi?

I'm currently using PCI-E to 3 barrel connectors for all my power needs at the moment one word of caution and the reason for why I am replacing my cables; one of the pairs for the PCI-E to barrel connectors frayed every so slightly and caused a brief short. Not sure how it occurred but I've order screw connectors for all of my units and intend to replace all the power connectors (better safer than sorry).  I recommend giving your PCI-E connectors a once over to make sure none of the power (red) or ground (black) are frayed and if they are you should at the very least isolate the damaged cables with small stripe of electrical tape or re solder / re-shrink wrap the cable.

nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:35:21 PM

please share your settings, i am using 4.3.3 on default which is supposed to auto tune but saw no improvement over 24 hours.

I tried:

./cgminer -o  -u  -p  --api-listen

after following most of Kano instructions without much success. I also tried:

./cgminer -o  -u -p --api-listen --bab-options 57:54:50:6:6:10000:0:0

but seemed to get some errors with the delay portion of the options (--bab-options max:def:min:up:down:hz:delay:trf). I've since gone back to chainminer as it's proven to be a bit more stable over a 24 hour period and that I've had more success with tuning it over the week that I've had it.
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:55:28 PM

I'm currently using PCI-E to 3 barrel connectors for all my power needs at the moment one word of caution and the reason for why I am replacing my cables; one of the pairs for the PCI-E to barrel connectors frayed every so slightly and caused a brief short. Not sure how it occurred but I've order screw connectors for all of my units and intend to replace all the power connectors (better safer than sorry).  I recommend giving your PCI-E connectors a once over to make sure none of the power (red) or ground (black) are frayed and if they are you should at the very least isolate the damaged cables with small stripe of electrical tape or re solder / re-shrink wrap the cable.

thanks i will check it out my power connections.

seems a dodgy board has killed my controller. im wondering if you have power plugged into your 4x controller or if its just powered by the pi? previously i only had power plugged into the controller and this was also powering the pi, maybe that also contributed.

nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:06:08 PM

seems a dodgy board has killed my controller. im wondering if you have power plugged into your 4x controller or if its just powered by the pi? previously i only had power plugged into the controller and this was also powering the pi, maybe that also contributed.

Try pulling one of your barrel connectors directly into the controller board; the controller should be supplying power to the pi via the 26 pin ribbon cable.
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:43:42 PM

Try pulling one of your barrel connectors directly into the controller board; the controller should be supplying power to the pi via the 26 pin ribbon cable.

ok thanks, thats how it was setup until i connected a bad board and fried it. waiting on a replacement board to get hashing again Sad

chadtn

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:38:21 AM

Is there some more support documentation out there on how to set these things up?  I'd like to know a little bit more about how the controller interfaces with the Pi.  I'd prefer to start with a stock Rasbian Wheezy image.  I've got cgminer 4.3.3 building now, but I'm assuming some kind of configuration is required for the Pi to communicate with the controller.

Thanks!

Chad

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:24:34 AM

Is there some more support documentation out there on how to set these things up?  I'd like to know a little bit more about how the controller interfaces with the Pi.  I'd prefer to start with a stock Rasbian Wheezy image.  I've got cgminer 4.3.3 building now, but I'm assuming some kind of configuration is required for the Pi to communicate with the controller.

Thanks!

Chad

BlackArrow Bitfury devices need the --enable-bab option when compiling cgminer.

just include this when compiling and the boards and chips will be detected on startup of cgminer.

nbtcminer (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:34:27 PM

Thanks!

Chad

Here's Kano's guide on how to get it working (he uses Arch linux in the guide tho):

http://www.kano-kun.net/?p=87
chadtn

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:02:18 PM

Is there no other documentation available for these things?  I hooked up one board/controller and a trace on the controller burned up right away.  I hooked a second board/controller up and a trace on that controller burned up in a different spot.  I hooked a third board/controller up and it detected 96 chips on that one board, but wouldn't hash.  I plugged in a fourth board to that controller and no chips are detected.

Chad

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
chadtn

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:38:59 PM

The third and last controller burned up too.  Are these boards known to be troublesome?

Chad

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄