Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:05:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Setup Guide] Blackarrow Bitfury 16 chip board support and tuning thread  (Read 13343 times)
Machinery

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:25:59 PM

Ahm, useful guide.
I seem to be having trouble while logging in, that password doesn't work for me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nbtcminer (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:54:10 PM

Ahm, useful guide.
I seem to be having trouble while logging in, that password doesn't work for me.

Are you talking about the original Blackarrow Pi image? And I'm fairly certain that the username/password root/pi is the right combo for default settings. If you changed the password via the passwd change for the root account then it will be whatever you set it to. If you've lost the password your best option is to start from scratch by re-imaging your SD card. ((The other possibility is that you aren't sshing to the right device)). Try using a client like PuTTY to connect to the PI.

I recommend backing up the following files for a quick restore if you ever need to reimage the SD card(winscp is free and work great):

/opt/bitfury/best.cnf
/opt/bitfury/proxy_pools.conf
/opt/bitfury/chainminer/jobconnect.cpp
/run/shm/.stat.log

As for other devices interfacing with the controller; afaik the pi GPIO is the only way to interface with the controller board and I'm assuming all the existing code is written specifically for it.
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:18:33 AM

Ahm, useful guide.

Yea root/pi does not work on my pi either. Im waiting for a response from bobsag about what else it could be.
btljuice

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:28:18 AM

Can anyone please explain how to connect the cables to the boards with the pins facing down? Can only line up the arrow on the cable to pin 2 or 9.

EDIT: Also, is anybody going to order a controller? Wondering if anyone wants to go in on an order since shipping is $60.
brettsimons

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:21:55 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 04:28:26 AM by brettsimons

Hey guys,
I've been trying for hours to get my boards working but no matter what I try, the hash rate stays at 0 and I've been trying to just connect to ghash until I can get it working. I've read that you can set up the miners through the web interface but when I go to the ip address of the rPi, I just get the generic "It works! This is the default web page for this server. The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet." Also, when I run "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" I get an error of "cp: cannot stat '/opt/bitfury/empty_stat.json': No such file or directory". Finally, I posted what I see in "screen -r" since it looks like it is connecting and receiving jobs but mstat is showing nothing and neither is ghash.  Huh

I just can't seem to get anything to work!!

https://i.imgur.com/m48oLR6.png

//-----EDIT-----//
It won't let me create a new post on this thread so here we go:

Ahm, useful guide.

Yea root/pi does not work on my pi either. Im waiting for a response from bobsag about what else it could be.

Try username: pi and password: raspberry
btljuice

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:07:49 PM

Also, when I run "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" I get an error of "cp: cannot stat '/opt/bitfury/empty_stat.json': No such file or directory".

Run this: "touch /opt/bitfury/empty_stat.json". Then try "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" again. After running that, wait about 30 seconds or a minute and "cat /run/shm/.stat.json", that will show a summary of what your boards are (or aren't) doing.
brettsimons

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:15:06 PM

Also, when I run "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" I get an error of "cp: cannot stat '/opt/bitfury/empty_stat.json': No such file or directory".

Run this: "touch /opt/bitfury/empty_stat.json". Then try "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" again. After running that, wait about 30 seconds or a minute and "cat /run/shm/.stat.json", that will show a summary of what your boards are (or aren't) doing.

Now start-miner.sh executes but when I run "cat /run/shm/.stat.json", I get "cat: /run/shm/.stat.json: No such file or directory"

Can you try uploading your working raspberry pi's sd card contents? It just seems like nothing is working with the image from black arrow's website...
nbtcminer (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:40:42 AM

Ahm, useful guide.

Very weird. I'll upload my imagec file on monday when I get to a place with solid internet.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:14:45 AM

Is it possible to interface these to a real computer instead of a devboard computer?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 07:31:10 PM

Now start-miner.sh executes but when I run "cat /run/shm/.stat.json", I get "cat: /run/shm/.stat.json: No such file or directory"

Same issue here.
helipotte

Activity: 650

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:57:26 PM

Do these boards run slower in larger setups?  I have had a problem with boards running much slower when 15+ are connected to one controller.

I am using raspbian/Cgminer4.3.4.  I tested ALL of the boards individually and have 20 of them that do 40Gh+ by themselves.  This is 2.5Gh per

chip.  When they are chained 5 boards to a bank, some them only manage 1.0-1.2Gh. Huh  The errors look good, rejects look good but speed is way

low.  They are cooled by 120MM fans running at full speed and 1500W of clean power(wired together by 14 gauge wire).  Seems that it is a bus

issue.  Maybe a CGminer issue?  I posted earlier some suggestions, these worked to cut errors/rejects but now speed issues.  I am starting to think

these boards are POSSESED! Shocked

Thanks for any advice/feedback.
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:21:50 PM

Do these boards run slower in larger setups?  I have had a problem with boards running much slower when 15+ are connected to one controller.

I am using raspbian/Cgminer4.3.4.  I tested ALL of the boards individually and have 20 of them that do 40Gh+ by themselves.  This is 2.5Gh per

chip.  When they are chained 5 boards to a bank, some them only manage 1.0-1.2Gh. Huh  The errors look good, rejects look good but speed is way

low.  They are cooled by 120MM fans running at full speed and 1500W of clean power(wired together by 14 gauge wire).  Seems that it is a bus

issue.  Maybe a CGminer issue?  I posted earlier some suggestions, these worked to cut errors/rejects but now speed issues.  I am starting to think

these boards are POSSESED! Shocked

Thanks for any advice/feedback.

can you show a pic of the caps soldered and your power setup? i thought you switched back to chainminer?

space for rent, shilling for sats
helipotte

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:48:45 PM

I did use chainminer, briefly to compare against Cgminer.  I prefer Cgminer because I monitor it's API remotely.  I will try to post pics of my modifications

to the control board, when my second Raspberry Pi gets here.
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:56:46 AM

I did use chainminer, briefly to compare against Cgminer.  I prefer Cgminer because I monitor it's API remotely.  I will try to post pics of my modifications

to the control board, when my second Raspberry Pi gets here.

thanks would appreciate some pics. also im confused, did you add the cap to the controller board or some of the chip boards that were leaking? or both?

warrensgun

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Mining since bitcoin was $1

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:47:55 PM

I'm only trying to get a chain of six to work - i get 100% HW errors.  I tried chainminer - couldn't figure that out - so I installed cgminer using the kanos directions. 

It recognizes the boards - sometimes up to 93 chips - never all of them of course. 

I'm powering the Pi using a usb cable.  I am not powering the controller board as there is no way to do so - it has an odd 4 pin connector on it that looks close to a molex - but the molex from the power supply wouldn't fit into it.  Not to sound like a n00b but I'm stumped on that one.

Some one referenced overclocking the pi itself to 900mhz - is there a quick and easy way to do that?

dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:52:15 PM

I'm only trying to get a chain of six to work - i get 100% HW errors.  I tried chainminer - couldn't figure that out - so I installed cgminer using the kanos directions. 

It recognizes the boards - sometimes up to 93 chips - never all of them of course. 

I'm powering the Pi using a usb cable.  I am not powering the controller board as there is no way to do so - it has an odd 4 pin connector on it that looks close to a molex - but the molex from the power supply wouldn't fit into it.  Not to sound like a n00b but I'm stumped on that one.

Some one referenced overclocking the pi itself to 900mhz - is there a quick and easy way to do that?

you need to power the controller. controllers from black arrow dont have the barrel connector. you cna eitehr solder one on or just connect up to a molex with red + to left and black -ve to the right side ground. a light will come on once you turn on the switch.

warrensgun

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:36:28 PM

ok I'll give that a shot.  So I can just pull the female connectors out of the molex plug and hook them up. 

dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:52:41 PM

ok I'll give that a shot.  So I can just pull the female connectors out of the molex plug and hook them up. 

would be better to use these http://www.dx.com/p/2-pin-curved-screw-terminal-block-connectors-green-20-piece-pack-146624#.U3kWnvldV8E

but the female plugs out of a molex will also work fine. make sure you note the +ve and -gnd on the controller board.

helipotte

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:45:45 PM

As far as overclocking to Pi, the easy way to do it is to connect the SD card to another computer and edit config.txt. Or do it from the shell.

Example: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_ConfigurationFile
warrensgun

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:07:47 PM

would be better to use these http://www.dx.com/p/2-pin-curved-screw-terminal-block-connectors-green-20-piece-pack-146624#.U3kWnvldV8E

but the female plugs out of a molex will also work fine. make sure you note the +ve and -gnd on the controller board.

The pins are labeled GND and VCC.  do I need to hook up 4 pins or just two

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: