Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 11:20:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you expect the price of btc to rise?  (Read 2472 times)
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:28:31 PM

I agree with most of things already stated but somehow I do not like this prolonged period of stagnation. I agree this is great as a sign of market stabilization but what I do not understand is how it is possible that the price stays at the same level when we see lots of new users/miners/investors every day, creating additional demand for BTC. We all know that the quantity of BTC supplied to the market is more less the same since difficulty has been adjusting constantly to accommodate this. So, we have been having 140ish BTC added to the market every hour and the supply constantly goes up, why is the price stagnant? Why do I have a feeling someone has been dumping BTC for a long time, thus suppressing the price. Gox anyone?

You mean 150 BTC per hour is added. This means, at the current rate, around 60k per hour. If there's not more than that being invested, the price will go down or stay equal.

A lot more money is still waiting to buy or it's on the way to do so. All the big companies will move in sooner or later but they need to go through their bureaucratic meetings and licenses first. Some big funds have bought on the top at US$1,000, one of the reasons it stayed up there quite some time.

I think a lot of big investors are already stocking up. They are just doing it smart, which is to take it slow so as to not ramp up the prices while buying. I'm positive there are major investors that already have tens of thousands and are waiting for the price to go up.

based on my secret facts and sources, Obama owns 2 million BTC, we just dont know it yet. Putin has only 1.5 million Bitcoins. It must be true because i blindly wish it.

Putin only owns dogecoin
ampere9765

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:37:34 PM

I agree with most of things already stated but somehow I do not like this prolonged period of stagnation. I agree this is great as a sign of market stabilization but what I do not understand is how it is possible that the price stays at the same level when we see lots of new users/miners/investors every day, creating additional demand for BTC. We all know that the quantity of BTC supplied to the market is more less the same since difficulty has been adjusting constantly to accommodate this. So, we have been having 140ish BTC added to the market every hour and the supply constantly goes up, why is the price stagnant? Why do I have a feeling someone has been dumping BTC for a long time, thus suppressing the price. Gox anyone?

You mean 150 BTC per hour is added. This means, at the current rate, around 60k per hour. If there's not more than that being invested, the price will go down or stay equal.

A lot more money is still waiting to buy or it's on the way to do so. All the big companies will move in sooner or later but they need to go through their bureaucratic meetings and licenses first. Some big funds have bought on the top at US$1,000, one of the reasons it stayed up there quite some time.

I think a lot of big investors are already stocking up. They are just doing it smart, which is to take it slow so as to not ramp up the prices while buying. I'm positive there are major investors that already have tens of thousands and are waiting for the price to go up.

My question is..... how long can prices remain deflated before long term holders that are under water, including large miners that continue to mine at a loss, begin to liquidate their holdings? Are we guaranteed a fat price rice befgore then?
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:42:11 PM

My question is..... how long can prices remain deflated before long term holders that are under water, including large miners that continue to mine at a loss, begin to liquidate their holdings? Are we guaranteed a fat price rice befgore then?

That's a hard one to answer, because I think a lot of people are going to jump ship at the 1k mark (like we saw last year). Basically I see it as being like a wave. We'll hit ATH, people will jump ship and lower the price. It will climb back up, hopefully past the ATH the next time, and the cycle will continue.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:44:51 PM

That's a hard one to answer, because I think a lot of people are going to jump ship at the 1k mark (like we saw last year). Basically I see it as being like a wave. We'll hit ATH, people will jump ship and lower the price. It will climb back up, hopefully past the ATH the next time, and the cycle will continue.

Many of us expected that people would "jump ship" when the price reached the $266 ATH in November.  Some people sold at that that price, of course, but then the price continued to climb up to over $1000.  I wouldn't really be that concerned.  It might bounce around $1000 for a day or so but it won't stay at that price long I believe.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:49:12 PM

Many of us expected that people would "jump ship" when the price reached the $266 ATH in November.  Some people sold at that that price, of course, but then the price continued to climb up to over $1000.  I wouldn't really be that concerned.  It might bounce around $1000 for a day or so but it won't stay at that price long I believe.

There's a massive difference between $266 and $1k though. That's like saying that because it pushes through to $2k, people wouldn't jump ship at $10 million. Major differences there.

In any case, I have no doubt that the price will continue to climb. It's just going to create waves while it happens.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:53:02 PM

Many of us expected that people would "jump ship" when the price reached the $266 ATH in November.  Some people sold at that that price, of course, but then the price continued to climb up to over $1000.  I wouldn't really be that concerned.  It might bounce around $1000 for a day or so but it won't stay at that price long I believe.

There's a massive difference between $266 and $1k though. That's like saying that because it pushes through to $2k, people wouldn't jump ship at $10 million. Major differences there.

In any case, I have no doubt that the price will continue to climb. It's just going to create waves while it happens.

There was a "massive difference" for each ATH.  It is all about the adoption rate and the number of people involved now.  If we look strictly at the math then there should be no problem getting to 2K on the next run.  It would be a pitiful run if it doesn't and the weakest Bubble in Bitcoin's history if the peak was only at 2K from where it is now.

ampere9765

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:56:03 PM

Many of us expected that people would "jump ship" when the price reached the $266 ATH in November.  Some people sold at that that price, of course, but then the price continued to climb up to over $1000.  I wouldn't really be that concerned.  It might bounce around $1000 for a day or so but it won't stay at that price long I believe.

There was a "massive difference" for each ATH.  It is all about the adoption rate and the number of people involved now.  If we look strictly at the math then there should be no problem getting to 2K on the next run.  It would be a pitiful run if it doesn't and the weakest Bubble in Bitcoin's history if the peak was only at 2K from where it is now.

One must keep in mind the volume profile. How many bought at 700-1100? How many of those will be jumping at the chance to get out at breakeven or profit? How did this differ from 266?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:58:32 PM

I'm talking about $ amounts. Let's say there's 1000 coins.

BTC is $1. Market cap is $1000
BTC goes up to $25. Market cap is $25000 (+24000)
BTC goes up to $300. Market cap is $300000 (+275000)
BTC goes up to $1200. Market cap is $1200000 (+900000)

We're not looking at how $1200 is only 4x $300. We're looking at how much more money the system has to get to meet that goal.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:01:42 PM

One must keep in mind the volume profile. How many bought at 700-1100? How many of those will be jumping at the chance to get out at breakeven or profit? How did this differ from 266?

From personal experience, I purchased a small amount of coin close to $266 (granted it was not much but I did pay close to that price) then I had a long and painful Summer.  The thought crossed my mind that maybe Bitcoin was not going anywhere but when the price started rising again the funny thing was that it became tempting to buy even more!  Of course, I have been a holder since the beginning.  I believe in the long-term success of Bitcoin and I am not a day-trader so I am not trying to take advantage of the swings in price.  If we really believe the price is going to at least $10,000 at some point then the smart thing for some of us to do is just buy as much as possible at as good of a price as we can and just wait and ride out the ups and downs.  That said, my husband and I are planning on systematically selling of a small percentage at certain peaks in price, and perhaps buying back in a little bit here and there on the dips, but I really think most people will not be trying to "get out" of Bitcoin as the price rises.  It will have quite the opposite effect for a while.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:02:22 PM

I'm talking about $ amounts. Let's say there's 1000 coins.

BTC is $1. Market cap is $1000
BTC goes up to $25. Market cap is $25000 (+24000)
BTC goes up to $300. Market cap is $300000 (+275000)
BTC goes up to $1200. Market cap is $1200000 (+900000)

We're not looking at how $1200 is only 4x $300. We're looking at how much more money the system has to get to meet that goal.

With more people comes more $.  Wink

It really isn't going to be a problem. 

ampere9765

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:03:25 PM

I really think most people will not be trying to "get out" of Bitcoin as the price rises.  It will have quite the opposite effect for a while.

I think that is just natural. People don't want to "get out" when price is going up because they get greedy. They want to "get out" when price is going down because they get fearful.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:06:26 PM

I think much depends on the speed of a rise towards $1000. If it was a grind upwards over months and months then I guess many would unload out of sheer boredom and relief once it got there.

If it was looking explosive then good old greed would take over and many would sit tight and wait to see where it ended up.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:20:50 PM

I think much depends on the speed of a rise towards $1000. If it was a grind upwards over months and months then I guess many would unload out of sheer boredom and relief once it got there.

If it was looking explosive then good old greed would take over and many would sit tight and wait to see where it ended up.

It's the opposite. If it went up slowly people would dump on the way up. If it shot up, people would try to guess what the top is and dump in the hopes that it'll drop by 50% again and they can buy in for 2x as many coins.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:26:52 PM

It's the opposite. If it went up slowly people would dump on the way up. If it shot up, people would try to guess what the top is and dump in the hopes that it'll drop by 50% again and they can buy in for 2x as many coins.

It just depends on the person and when they purchased Bitcoin and it could also depend on their reasons for purchasing it.  Then there are tax ramifications for cashing out that might cause some to want to hold for longer.  I know that I personally wasn't in a place to sell last year when we reached $1000 because I would have had to pay short term capital gains taxes.  Of course, there are those that try to avoid taxation (buying gift cards or whatever else they do) but I happen to try my best to be a law abiding citizen.  Shocking I know. Wink

It really is not all that simple and some people will want to buy and hold until they get to $100,000 if it really does get there.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:23:54 PM

bitcoin is trading around 450$ since like some two months. should i expect the price to rise? if yes, then why and when?
Yes. Wednesday. The next cycle is due. Wink
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:58:49 PM

bitcoin is trading around 450$ since like some two months. should i expect the price to rise? if yes, then why and when?

Wednesday it is then!  I second that!!!  Grin

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:08:12 PM

Wednesday it is then!  I second that!!!  Grin

Motion carried!
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:02:07 AM

Now is good.   Wink

I actually do think we are on the precipice of the next major bubble.  We have felt the "squeeze" of the price this past couple of weeks with very low volatility and movement.  It seems the "dumpers" are not successful now in lowering the price any further.  The sellers have all sold and now we are just in a short period of time before the buying begins.  It will start off gradually, kind of like a dam that has a leak.  It will slowly trickle then suddenly burst!  Tons of fun if you have been through them before.  This will be my third bubble.  The first one totally shocked me and unfortunately I did not have much invested in BTC at the time.  The second one (in November) was somewhat expected but still surprised me at how suddenly it happened.  This one coming up next almost feels totally expected.  It is like I have been pregnant for months just waiting for the "due date."  I guess that is an analogy only a woman can give!   Grin

Then I hope you become the next octomom!  Cheesy

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:11:39 AM

Now is good.   Wink

I actually do think we are on the precipice of the next major bubble.  We have felt the "squeeze" of the price this past couple of weeks with very low volatility and movement.  It seems the "dumpers" are not successful now in lowering the price any further.  The sellers have all sold and now we are just in a short period of time before the buying begins.  It will start off gradually, kind of like a dam that has a leak.  It will slowly trickle then suddenly burst!  Tons of fun if you have been through them before.  This will be my third bubble.  The first one totally shocked me and unfortunately I did not have much invested in BTC at the time.  The second one (in November) was somewhat expected but still surprised me at how suddenly it happened.  This one coming up next almost feels totally expected.  It is like I have been pregnant for months just waiting for the "due date."  I guess that is an analogy only a woman can give!   Grin

Then I hope you become the next octomom!  Cheesy

first start a college fund
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 4648

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:12:52 AM

I hope you become the next octomom!  Cheesy

Woah. That's pretty nasty.

Didn't Octomom become a pornstar?